Apple Cinder Vinegar for Cleansing?

I have tried a baking soda and water mix for cleansing my hair. However, I have heard that apple cider vinegar is good to use too. I want to know if anyone has tried apple cider vinegar and if so what was your experience?

Comments

• GlamourstruckkGlamourstruckk Posts: 312Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    According to The Natural Haven blog, neither of these have very strong cleaning ability. You're better off just using a sulfate shampoo if you really feel your hair needs to be cleaned.

Kayla

Youtube - Website
    4b/Density:iii/Strands:Fine, MBL
  • JunyJuJunyJu Posts: 495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've also been told that ACV rinses don't really actually cleanse the hair too well. You could try clay? I've heard of people using that successfully for cleansing. I couldn't tell you much about it because I know next to nothing, but if you put 'bentonite clay' in the search bar you should find some stuff on it! Other than that, sulfate-free cleansers are best, unless your last/only available option is a sulfate shampoo. Using a sulfate shampoo irregularly won't kill you, and I've found it actually helps when I do a sulfate cleansing every few months or so!
    Medium texture, with some fine. Colored. High porosity, high density. 3b/3c; multicultural.

•Deep Conditioner: Shea Moisture JBCO Hair Masque
    •Conditioner: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
    •No-poo: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
    •Styler(s): Shea Moisture JBCO Leave-In, As I Am Curling Jelly.
    •CG as of 12/?/2014, BC 04/?/2015. First CG cut 7/9/2015. :happy3:
  • bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Posts: 1,308Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Make sure you don't have any silicone in your hair before you start this process because you might have old coney buildup that needs to be removed via sulfate. I love ACV rinses and do them from time to time. Make sure if you try any "no poo" method that you're ready to try something natural and not coney by making sure your hair is ready for that. Bentonite is great and there is this brand-terresentials if you're interested in buying a "clay wash" type of thing. I would recommend Indian herbs though, or something like soap nuts if you like the lather.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using CurlTalk App
    *Current Routine*
    LP: SM RSB
    CO/CW: CJ Daily Fix, GR Restorative, SM RSB, SM SFC
    DC: SM, CJ Rehab, G.Nutrafix, DIY
    LI: a CO, KCKT
    Sealers: an oil, JC N&S
    Stylers: just CO, CJ CIAB, KCCC, aloe gel, FSG
    Once in a while: ACV, Lemon-Aid

Oils to seal, rinse, and/or pre-poo as needed :love10:

2c/3a/3b coarse, normal porosity
    :toothy4: CG since 2007 :flower:
    I am a regular clay washer--love it!

Kayla

Youtube - Website
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    You need ACV if you're doing baking soda cleanses, because it will balance out the pH. Using baking soda alone will dry your hair something awful, as it is very alkaline.

ACV does not cleanse, it chelates. If you have hard water, it is good for mineral removal. I will argue to my death on this site, due to my experience with using it for cleaning my bathroom mirror: I used to use a spray bottle with conditioner mixed in. Whilst I sprayed my hair, it got a little bit at a time all over my mirror. I use vinegar to clean, and it would NOT come off my mirror! If it didn't come off my mirror, I highly doubt it would come off my hair either.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Never thought of using bentonite clay for washing my hair...I have a jar I bought for facial masks and I never use it.

I like ACV hair rinses bc it makes my hair shinier.

Sixelamy -- What do you mean...the ACV made it impossible for you to remove conditioner from your bathroom mirror?? What kind of conditioner was it? How did you get it off?

• sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    It was Yes to Blueberries conditioner. The ACV would not remove the conditioner. I used my bathroom cleaner to get it off in the end.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Posts: 1,308Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Glamour, What kind do you use and what's your process?
    Spider, Is it the Aztec Secret?
    Sixel, Doesn't that conditioner have a water soluble cone?

*Current Routine*

I'm not particular to a brand of bentonite clay but I prefer SODIUM bentonite. Aztec Healing Secret is calcium bentonite and I'll use it if I have to. In an 8oz applicator bottle I combine two tablespoons of clay with aloe vera juice to the top of the container. I apply the clay in sections and use it to both cleanse and detangle.

Kayla

Youtube - Website
    I'm not particular to a brand of bentonite clay but I prefer SODIUM bentonite. Aztec Healing Secret is calcium bentonite and I'll use it if I have to. In an 8oz applicator bottle I combine two tablespoons of clay with aloe vera juice to the top of the container. I apply the clay in sections and use it to both cleanse and detangle.
    Do you recommend any particular brands of sodium bentonite? Why do you prefer sodium over calcium bentonite? I'm really curious because I honestly didn't know about a difference. That sounds like a great recipe, how often do you clarify/cleanse with this method? I usually use clay like once a month if that. I like to use the Aztec one on my face mixed with ACV. My skin is kind of sensitive though so I have to be careful. There is this Indian clay I buy and it's basically Fuller's Earth, it's great for skin as well. (:

*Current Routine*

Do you recommend any particular brands of sodium bentonite? Why do you prefer sodium over calcium bentonite? I'm really curious because I honestly didn't know about a difference. That sounds like a great recipe, how often do you clarify/cleanse with this method? I usually use clay like once a month if that. I like to use the Aztec one on my face mixed with ACV. My skin is kind of sensitive though so I have to be careful. There is this Indian clay I buy and it's basically Fuller's Earth, it's great for skin as well. (:

I have purchased SB from Mountain Rose Herbs, Butters and Bars, and recently an Etsy shop (forgot their name!) Sodium bentonite clay swells and becomes a more creamy texture than calcium. Also, sodium leaves your hair feeling more moisturized. I wash my hair with clay twice a week. It is a gentle cleanser.

Kayla

Youtube - Website
  • CuriousAquariusCuriousAquarius Posts: 41Registered Users
    Not sure it really cleans my hair, but it makes my hair shinier and it has nice slip
    Products I use:
    Shampoo: SM JBCO shampoo/ ACV rinses
    Cowash: Taliah Waajad Creamy Cowash
    Conditioner: Giovanni 50:50/ Giovanni Tea Tree
    Leave-in: CJ Curl Assurance/ SM Strengthening Milk
    Deep conditioner: EVA Nye/ ORS Hair Mayo
    Oils: Apricot oil/ Avocado oil/ Coconut oil

Current (working on) Regimen:
    ACV rinses once a month
    SLS shampoo and deep condition once a week
    Protein treatment: 2x a month
    Cowash midweek