Black people that listen to country music

Michelle555Michelle555 Posts: 25Registered Users
I hate that people say that country music is a white hillibilly thing. First of all country music has roots in AFRICA. Secondly there are black country music artists like darius rucker and charlie pride. SMH ignorance. black people are not monotholic. we are individuals

Comments

• Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think it has roots around the world. There are more theories than one can shake a stick at about where musical instruments come from. Many say the banjo came from Africa. This is what my grandmother told my father, when she started teaching him to play bluegrass banjo at age 8. Many say the fiddle came from Scotland. The two met... Unless if is an undisputed case of flat out stealing songs, I think several types of music intersected, merged and expanded out of a loving and respectful place.

I also think it's ridiculous to say a specific group of people does or does not listen to a specific type of music. I am a hillbilly and country is one of my least favorite genres of music. Especially how it is today. Pop with a twang, impo. It's more about turning out a quick dollar.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,226Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Music is universal. That is all.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 9,770Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    My father was racist. He loved country music. He started listening to Charlie Pride on the radio. Loved him. You can't imagine his surprise when I bought him a tape with Charlie on the cover. LOL! I loved his music & he was so hot in his boots & hat.
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
    Lotsawaves wrote: »
    My father was racist. He loved country music. He started listening to Charlie Pride on the radio. Loved him. You can't imagine his surprise when I bought him a tape with Charlie on the cover. LOL! I loved his music & he was so hot in his boots & hat.

Surprise!! Haha

My parents had a few of his albums. I can only remember one song off hand.

You've got to kiss an angel good morning and let her know you think about her when you're gone. Kiss an angel good morning and love her like the devil when you get back home

My parents woke up to a AM country music station on their clock radio, every single morning, when I was growing up. Music played while we all got ready. That's how I love to wake up but it's much cooler music than my folks. That's a given, for everyone ;)
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,136Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Most people living in rural areas, regardless of race, listen to country music. Most American music, including country, has west African roots originating from slaves. Most Americans don't listen to country, though country music is thought of as being authentically American and exported to the rest of the world. To be truly American to most people is to be white. Also most American blacks tend to live in urban areas, which means being less likely to enjoy country music.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
    Most people living in rural areas, regardless of race, listen to country music. Most American music, including country, has west African roots originating from slaves. Most Americans don't listen to country, though country music is thought of as being authentically American and exported to the rest of the world. To be truly American to most people is to be white. Also most American blacks tend to live in urban areas, which means being less likely to enjoy country music.

I think the small nbr of black country musicians seen in the spot light helped with the notion and so did shows like HeeHaw, which is loaded with stereotypes for the sake of comedy. "Gloom, despair and agony on me. Deep dark depression, excessive misery. If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all. Gloom, despair and agony on me." That sums up 90% of country songs ;) (winky face b/c that holds true with a lot of the Blues and the two often intertwine sound wise and with stories about life in particular areas). I don't mind stereotypes in comedy. They are out there, why not use them? What people listen to in their home or car and/or play with friends is a completely different story, as usual.

Country has been one of the most popular rules of music in America for the last few years. I have no idea how, but traditionally it's had more of a smaller fan base. lol. I'll find a song I love here and there but it took me years to appreciate a lot of what my parents listened to. I was born loving bluegrass, hated it in my teens, loved it again, always loved their folk & rock, R&B/Motown collections but country took a while and still remains lower on my list.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I usually give a puzzled look at several of the "roots of"'conversations. It's often far more complex than people make it out to be. There is not a snowballs chance in hell of getting me to consider that the majority of everything came from one place.

Take traditional dances. People will chime in and say Clogging/Buck Or Wing dancing have African roots. True, but these dances also have long roots in Europa, long before slavery and it doesn't stop there. Traditional folk dances were quite similar in many places, all over the world and they eventually gave birth to several different street dances. Most people had tiny variations in style. One may be more stiff and rigid with their upper body while doing the heel/toe/shuffle, kick! One may lean in or back more. Different arm movements. It was more about posture and picking up on different parts of the rhythms. Beautiful thing, imo. Clogging is rather big in my area was quite huge when I was a kid. I think they stopped teaching it in primary school in the late 80s, early 90s. It was a long standing part of our PE class. The gym floor had pot holes by the time I was in kindergarten, you couldn't have a hole basketball game there but by Gawd you could dance. I love my brothers late 70s/early 80s clogging team pictures. Bell Bottoms, Afros, long hair and butterfly collars everywhere. They had a really good team and I loved watching everyone.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • fraufrau Posts: 6,130Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I listen to country music all the time because I live in Georgia. It's everywhere and it's great. I sometimes listen to the country music stations or look at country music videos on cable. There is such a variety...I can even hear the influence of hip hop on some of today's younger country artists. Who the heck doesn't love Lady Antebellum?? Who doesn't love Carrie Underwood or Tim McGraw?? Ridiculous...black people listen to country music.
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    frau wrote: »
    I listen to country music all the time because I live in Georgia. It's everywhere and it's great. I sometimes listen to the country music stations or look at country music videos on cable. There is such a variety...I can even hear the influence of hip hop on some of today's younger country artists. Who the heck doesn't love Lady Antebellum?? Who doesn't love Carrie Underwood or Tim McGraw?? Ridiculous...black people listen to country music.

This white girl who grew up on a farm has no use for Country music. You can bet Lady Antebellum & Carrie Underwood are on my belt it out Car Karaoke playlist! lol
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
    @Fifi I agree that country has other roots in addition to West African ones.

@CurlyCanadian I wonder if it's different because you're Canadian. Lol. But then again Shania Twain is Canadian too.

• CatitudeBooCatitudeBoo Posts: 590Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    agreed OP. For Black folks who abhor that genre, I think a lot of the disdain comes from a lack of exposure and perhaps historical connotations. I remember my dad told me, "You know they hung US while listening to that!??!"

Love him, but he's quite small-minded and jumps to conclusions about people/situations too much.
    CG since Dec. 2013  B)
    3b/c ~ fine ~ high porosity ~ low density
    No-Poo: SheaMoisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Shampoo 
    RO: Tresemme Botanique Nourish & Replenish Conditioner 
    Stylers: Tresemme Flawless Curls Mousse & Extra Hold Hairspray 

• CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur

@CurlyCanadian I wonder if it's different because you're Canadian. Lol. But then again Shania Twain is Canadian too.

I grew up on old rock and 80s. My parents don't listen to country, I think that has more to do with it. And country I do like, would be more classified as pop ala Shania Twain.
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • juanabjuanab Posts: 4,037Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    In the town I grew up in at the time, either you listened to country or rock. I listened to both, but liked rock more. Also my dad loved watching Hee Haw every week and as you know back then, whatever dad watched, everyone else watched too. I can tolerate some country (old school), I like some country, Shania Twain, Faith Hill, some Garth Brooks, Tim McGraw, and Lady Antebellum.

I grew up on old rock and 80s. My parents don't listen to country, I think that has more to do with it. And country I do like, would be more classified as pop ala Shania Twain.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using CurlTalk App

texture - medium/fine, porosity - low/normal, elasticity - normal
    co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
    LI - KCKT mixed w/ SM C & H Curl & Style Milk
    DC - NG Mango & Coconut H2O or Chamomile/Brdck Root
    Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)
    Sealers - Virgin Coconut Oil, Avocado butter, Aloe butter
    Ayurvedic treatments - Jamila Henna, Sukesh, Aloe Vera Powder, Hibiscus Powder

event.png
    one day some years back i said to my daughter, "i love that country song 'rockstar'"
    she said, "that's not a country song!"
    i said, "yes it is..."
    she said, "that song is by nickleback!"
    they're not even american! those darn canadians!! they're so sneaky!!
    I really like a few Lady Antebellum songs. I can not say I have heard a ton of them. Mainly what is played on the radio but a good song is a good song. I loved The Dixie Chicks. Traveling Soldier... I cried. Never gonna hold the hand of another guy. Too young for him they told her, waiting on the love of a travlin' soldier... Sin Wagon. Goodbye Earl. Was the lullaby song called God Speed? So sweet... Rocket man is all tuckered out. Supermans in pajamas on the couch. Goodnight Moon will find the Mouse and I love you. God speed, little man. Sweet dreams, little man. Oh my love will fly to you each night on Angels wings...

I absolutely adored If I Die Young by The Band Perry. I like several of the somewhat haunting folky/bluegrass type songs sang by women. Like

Didn't Leave Nobody but the Baby
    http://youtu.be/i1wZVVMKojw

My dad loathed Gillian Welch because she is a New Yorker and also California resident singing bluegrass. lol

Iris DeMent has such a unique voice too. In this she was singing in more of a traditional southern Appalachian style, in my area actually.

Pretty Saro
    http://youtu.be/A6ArylRGWME

*I like several of the old folk ballads that people brought with them. It's what I grew up hearing, in my living room, sometimes until 4am. And the movie the second video is from, Song Catcher, is pretty good. It was the discovery of "Mountain Music" or songs long forgotten in the place of origin still being sang in the Mountains of Western NC. Vocally with blend of the old world and new.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    juanab wrote: »
    In the town I grew up in at the time, either you listened to country or rock. I listened to both, but liked rock more. Also my dad loved watching Hee Haw every week and as you know back then, whatever dad watched, everyone else watched too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using CurlTalk App[/QUOTE]

You didn't miss Hee Haw when I was a kid. You could be at a friend or family members house for a baby shower or whatever and every thing stopped when Hee Haw came on. 25 people crammed around the TV. I was watching an old Hee Haw video of Dueling Banjos with Roy Clark a few months ago and laughing. It was simple comedy playing on stereotypes. ETA: Thanks to the iconic scene from Deliverance, it's hard to find a stronger reference to the Hillbilky stereotype than Dueling Banjos (which my dad could play the hell out of, btw. He was known as the best banjo player in WNC). Deliverance was also filmed in my area. Parts in my town. Parts in Rabun Ga which is a neighboring area. They were all over the Park here.* They goofed off thru most of it. At one point they start beating on the banjo heads like they were drums, looking up in the sky (for screeching Eagles I'm sure) and singing like Indians. Pardon, Native Americans/American Indians/Indians then damn it. :) It was funny to see people comment on how racist it was. Most people were like how is that racist? Does your proclamation make it so? Hillbillies and Indians. Often they are one in the same and neither are strangers to stereotypes. Just because you don't get the joke, it doesn't mean it's racist.

*I came across a book years ago that had some interesting info on government agencies and groups looking for profit promoting the "Hillbilly & Indian" stereotypes that had already been established by outsiders, to bring growth to the area along with expansion of the park service. It talked about several of the staged shows of authentic culture, that were not authentic at all, and several of the native/local residents saying screw it and embracing the popular public opinion to help with growth as well. That is exactly what happened in some locations. There was a traveling motorcade of local Gatlinburg TN business owners called the Hillbillies and Indians. Gatlinburg is just 20 min from the reservation via the park. They went to Florida & hammed it up to attract tourist. I wish they wouldn't have but... It did have a lot of inaccuracies though. The author listed the blended dialects as being false. It's not. Ask the many linguists who have studied it. There was more isolation here (Gatlinburg developed before many other areas) and it shaped the way people talked. Also said the stories about Scots-Irish & English (Welsh) ballads, which were a part of the root system for country music, being kept in the area as false. It's not. That has been studied and documented by many, and people know their family history. You're talking about an area that, for the most part, was w/o electricity for years. You played music, passed songs down for generations, and wrote your own.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    one day some years back i said to my daughter, "i love that country song 'rockstar'"
    i said, "yes it is..."

I love Nickleback, they're like the new Journey....no one admits their love, but everyone knows every song lol
    Audrey Hepburn
  • DedachanDedachan Posts: 1,644Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    i said, "yes it is..."

Oh, but there is such a thing as Brazilian country music (música sertaneja) and it's HUGE! Cheesy, but huge. We have a strong cattle ranch culture, so it's not out of place.

I don't think music genres can be contained...ethnically, geographically...for better or worse. I had my fair share of being exposed to German rap and hip hop as a teen...ugh!:confused3:
  • pinksugarpinksugar Posts: 2,346Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    That's ridiculous and I don't get why people feel the need to label. It's music; listen to what you like. That's it. My husband and I went to see Social Distortion (Punk) last weekend. I've had several people tell me they never would have guessed that I liked that band. Okay? Thanks for your opinion.

I like a lot of genres of music.

I happen to love country music too. Classic and current. I love Darius Rucker. Although, I loved him with Hootie and the Blowfish too.

Speaking of Lady A and the Dixie Chicks. Have you guys heard the cover of the Dixie Chicks "cowboy take me away" by Lady A and Cam? It's on FB. Cam has beautiful curls too.
  • claudine191claudine191 Posts: 8,221Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

Me, that's who.
    i said, "yes it is..."

I love Nickleback, they're like the new Journey....no one admits their love, but everyone knows every song lol

Oh, I beg to differ with that presumption! Steve Perry's voice is/was a force of nature.

Sign Me,
    Journey Fan but not Nickelback.
    In fairness, I will admit to joke-singing Achy Breaky Heart. It started with some past members, and now I'm used to imitating it and making my dogs pretend to line dance with me.
    I don't remember anyone being ashamed of listening to Journey. However the guy from nickelback is an annoying oversinger. He does have a voice that sounds like a country singer.

I actually don't dislike country music. It's the whiny, twangy voices that annoy me, although I do love Hank Williams and Dolly Parton. However I think I like Dolly's music because I like her. I also like country music prior to the 1980s, but i'm from the country.

I like a lot of bluegrass, and I'm originally a city and suburbs girl.

Me, that's who.

...but you don't even like the hits?
    carrie underwood's before he cheats

or lady antebellum's need you know?

can't listen to them now cause it's so old and over played.
    at the time i really liked them both.
    for claudine:

the new country sound
    The best thing about all of that, Frau-y-Pants, is the guy who remotely resembles Tom Hardy from a distance.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file