Need a good DT to get me back on track.

CurlyMom73CurlyMom73 Registered Users Posts: 123
Ok spring is here, so now it is back to my full CG routine for spring, summer, and fall. I have had to go on a modified routine in winter do to the fact my hair seems to need cones when it is bitter cold. Yes, I said the "c" word. :lol: Needless to say my hair is a lil on the dry side. :oops: Any recomendations on a good deep treatement to get me started? I need something I can make at home from everyday stuff. I already did a DT with just my condish, but it wasn't quite enough.
Corkicelli Now! YAY! Now all I have to do is update my avy pic. :)

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."- Albert Einstein

Comments

• mayimmayim Registered Users Posts: 2,301
    try this:

1 can coconut milk
    1 banana
    1 avocado
    1 tbs olive oil
    2 tbs honey

blend well, use some for hair masque, freeze the rest in ice cube trays to use later (i use one or two cubes worth).

best dt ever!

m
    coarse, thick 3a
    modified cg

weight.png

• LadydncingLadydncing Registered Users Posts: 964
    I just tried yesterday [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curl-Junkie-Hibiscus--Banana-Deep-Fix-Moisturizing-Conditioner-p-478.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curl-junkie-hibiscus-banana-deep-fix-moisturizing-conditioner]Curl Junkie Hibiscus & Banana Deep Fix Moisturizing Conditioner[/buylink] that I got from a swap and all I can say is wow!!! It's for dry/damaged hair and it left my super soft and shiny. I will definitely buy with product again and it smells yummy! Smells like sweet banana!

Or you can just add olive oil to a CG friendly conditioner and leave it on overnight. I usually do this right after a coloring to restore moisture.

Or read this thread, I did it a couple of weeks ago and my hair was Happy, Happy, Happy!!! I need to get more aloe vera gel so that I can do this treatment again!
    Snowy's Deep Moisture Treatment
    Maya
    3b/c CG routine
    HG line DevaCurl
    Password: Locks

event.png
  • anadandyanadandy Registered Users Posts: 7
    I just tried Snowy's treatment this weekend after seeing it in this thread and am in instant love. I did the treatment then just let my hair dry with no product (since I didn't have to go anywhere that day). Second day I spritz wet my hair, then did a quick scrunch with watered down gel and my curls look better than they have in AGES. My hair is so soft, shiny and NO frizz.

Thanks for the tip :)
    Type 3b, fine/medium texture, normal porosity.
  • LadydncingLadydncing Registered Users Posts: 964
    anadandy wrote:
    I just tried Snowy's treatment this weekend after seeing it in this thread and am in instant love. I did the treatment then just let my hair dry with no product (since I didn't have to go anywhere that day). Second day I spritz wet my hair, then did a quick scrunch with watered down gel and my curls look better than they have in AGES. My hair is so soft, shiny and NO frizz.

Thanks for the tip :)

Glad it worked for you! I just wish that I could find the VO5 Sunkissed Rasberry Conditioner that the original poster uses. I just haven't had any luck finding it. Oh well, maybe 'll get lucky some day. It seems to be a favorite in the area that I live.
    Maya
    3b/c CG routine
    HG line DevaCurl
    Password: Locks

event.png
  • kdcreighkdcreigh Registered Users Posts: 736
    I feel like I'm a natural products "pusher" :lol:

For an all-natural deep conditioner I use a combo of pure honey and pure black-strap molasses. I put the combo in my hair and put on a plastic shower cap for 1/2 hour. I then rinse thoroughly and shampoo (or you can no-poo or CO wash). It smells horrible and is very messy, but it is an excellent deep cond.

If you have light-colored hair, I wouldn't use the molasses. It might darken your hair.

You can also mix honey, molasses and regular coconut milk (not low-fat).
    YES WE CAN!

kdcreigh 4a and b (who knows?:dontknow:)

Relegated to occasional lurking in order to keep the PJ in check!
    :lurk:

http://public.fotki.com/kdcreigh/
    PW: natural
  • stellaBabystellaBaby Registered Users Posts: 237
    hey,
    I dont know if you've heard of this one. But everytime i use it i always fall in love all over again LOL.

Amla, can be found at your local indian store.
    this is the one i use.

Amla_Powder.jpg

My mom says it's made from gooseberries.
    this version is all natural, so no mineral oil or anything.
    it's a powder
    Its cheap too ;)
    oh and dont forget to store it in your freezer in order to preserve it ;)
    good luck!
    strickly CG.
    BCed Jan 27,07
    I think my hair type is :pain10: 3c? 3b? eh 4a? hmm idk
    My hair survives on;
    Suave naturals
    Herbal essences set me up gel
    Amla powder
    Other lovies; :laughing8:
    [Vitamins, olive oil, honey, silk peptide powder,vitamin e oil]

event.png
    hairpic.png
    Taken Feb 21,09
    Blogger
    Youtuber
  • kdcreighkdcreigh Registered Users Posts: 736
    Hi StellaBaby,

I've wondered about amla use on curly hair.

The website hennaforhair.com says that amla can be used to "add gloss and curl" to hair.

Does it make your hair curlier? Straighter?

Any info would be appreciated! :)
    YES WE CAN!

kdcreigh 4a and b (who knows?:dontknow:)

Relegated to occasional lurking in order to keep the PJ in check!
    :lurk:

http://public.fotki.com/kdcreigh/
    PW: natural
  • heavengirl410heavengirl410 Registered Users Posts: 821
    About the amala, do you mix it with anything? How do you use it?
  • stellaBabystellaBaby Registered Users Posts: 237
    Hey guys,
    Well I wouldn't say it makes my hair curlier or straight but I can definitely say it improves my 'hair's health'
    when I got that first big chop my hair was extremely dry for weeks regardless of how many cowashes I did. Up until I did an amla treatment...LOVEd it.

When I first started out I added
    2 tablespoons of Amla
    Drops of rosemary, peppermint oils
    Scoops of Yogurt and a cheap condtioner like suave.
    a little water
    And then leave on for an 1hr or 2

But now I simply either add water and conditioner or just water
    mix, apply and let it sit for an 1hr or 2 and it works just as well I guess my hair didn't need all those extra ingredients.

I've also learnt that doing a treatment every week is uneccessary unless you want your hair over moisturized which has serious consequences.

I do it at least once a month if I happen to shampoo which I'm trying to refine since shampooing without a DT seems to be killing my hair...

HtH

Oh and just to add in I used to do henna treatments and I just have to say all that dry straw-feeling hair was not working for me at all..LOL
    strickly CG.
    BCed Jan 27,07
    I think my hair type is :pain10: 3c? 3b? eh 4a? hmm idk
    My hair survives on;
    Suave naturals
    Herbal essences set me up gel
    Amla powder
    Other lovies; :laughing8:
    [Vitamins, olive oil, honey, silk peptide powder,vitamin e oil]

event.png
    hairpic.png
    Taken Feb 21,09
    Blogger
    Youtuber
  • CurlyMom73CurlyMom73 Registered Users Posts: 123
    Oh Wow! TY All so much. All your replies are really appreciated. :D
    Corkicelli Now! YAY! Now all I have to do is update my avy pic. :)

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."- Albert Einstein

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file