Kinky Curly?

JunyJuJunyJu Registered Users Posts: 495 Curl Neophyte
So I'm looking up products as a final run before just sticking to Deva, in the hopes of finding something cheaper that works well. I recently found that many of the CURLS products work well, but they're nearly the same price as my Deva and I don't get nearly as much ($30 for 32 oz of Deva Condish but $20 for 16 oz of CURLS). I was also looking into Curl Junkie but ran into the same problem; too little product for the price.

Kinky Curly was one of the last on my list that I was considering, and after looking up the prices I'm not *too* opposed to trying. $12 for 8 oz isn't bad, especially if you don't need much like people are saying (specifically speaking of Knot Today in this case :D)

So what do you guys think? Is it worth giving it a shot? My hair details are in my signature, and I need a LOT of moisture. Also, what do their products smell like? I'm not sensitive to smells, but they do play a big part in whether or not I purchase the products!

And if you have other suggestions, let me know! I prefer larger amounts/sizes, ESPECIALLY for conditioners, because my hair needs a ton. For stylers, I won't fuss over smaller containers since a good conditioner takes care of that. I'd prefer CG friendly :) (And if it can be found in Target, that would be AWESOME... ;) )
Medium texture, with some fine. Colored. High porosity, high density. 3b/3c; multicultural.

•Deep Conditioner: Shea Moisture JBCO Hair Masque
•Conditioner: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
•No-poo: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
•Styler(s): Shea Moisture JBCO Leave-In, As I Am Curling Jelly.
•CG as of 12/?/2014, BC 04/?/2015. First CG cut 7/9/2015. :happy3:

Comments

• SereneCurlsSereneCurls Registered Users Posts: 1,145 Curl Neophyte
    The knot today smells like mango to me, it's pretty light though. If your hair needs tons of moisture you might not enjoy it so much. I like it, I'm on my third bottle, but my hair's not especially dry.
    The curling custard I really like, I find it more moisturizing than many gels I've tried. Smells like, red velvet cake sort of? Vanilla mixed with something else, it's hard to describe. My guess is you might like the 2 in combination, the custard being moisturizing might amp up the lightness of the knot today as a leave in for you, but I think you'll need a stronger rinse out. Just based on what you've said you like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    3a, dense, fairly coarse, normal porosity and elasticity, just below shoulder
    Low poo: Giovanni 50 50
    Co-wash: aia, suave coconut, salon care
    R O: Tresume Naturals, gvpcb
    L I: KCKT, gvpcb
    Stylers: cjpp, re : coil, kccc, brhg
    Oils: coconut, argan
    Experimenting with: curls rock amplifier, pantene mousse
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    Consider Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner. The liter bottle is a great value & the stuff works wonders.

Also Giovani & Regis Design Line Olive Oil.

But yes, Knot Today is a staple also. The snell is strong but pleasant. KCCC has av disgusting, almost noxious smell, tho, imo. But worth it.

The Shea Moisture Detangler & Oyin Hair Dew are also very moisturizing (used as leave ins).

I recently rediscovered my old beloved AG re:coil (styler) & that stuff is amazeballs. Just a drop is all that's needed. Can get drying over time but very consentrated & moisturizing at least for a while.

Sorry, I have signatures turned off...so I might be missing some important details. I'm just recalling threads where you described your hair's characteristics & they remind me of my own.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using CurlTalk App

• CalicoKittiesCalicoKitties Registered Users Posts: 101
    My hair is similar to yours, although I have looser curls/waves.

I've been using the Elucence moisture balancing conditioner.. It's okay, but it hasn't been that great for detangling, and I'm not a fan of the scent (I haven't liked the scent of any of the Elucence stuff I've used, actually). It smells weird. So far my fav conditioner that I've tried is devacurl. I haven't tried many conditioners yet though!

I also tried KCCC and it didn't work very well for my hair. It made the curls dry in weird shapes & it took forever to dry. I may give it another chance someday, but it's def not the product for me.. I loved the smell though lol. It's kinda a sweet, buttery smell.

If you haven't tried the SheaMoisture stuff, you should try that out. I've been using their weightless shampoo (found at ulta) and have really been loving it! It smells awesome; kinda fruity and floral-y. :) However, I tried their coconut hibiscus conditioner and I think it kinda weighed my curls down. So if your hair gets weighed down easily I'd just try their fruit fusion line.

Have you looked into the Jessicurl brand products? :) you pretty much have to order those online though

You could also try some common budget faves like suave naturals & eco styler gel. They're cheap and everybody seems to like them lol. I haven't tried either though. I don't know if Eco styler is at target, but I've spotted it at several places.
    Started CG method on June 14th, 2015.

Currently 2b/2c
    Medium/high porosity
    Medium/fine texture
    Protein-loving

I have a hair blog! :) check it out: http://carefreecurls.blogspot.com/

Twitter: @CalicoKitties

Current HG products-
    Cleanser: NYM's clean freak shampoo, SheaMoisture's Fruit Fusion Shampoo
    Conditioner: NYM's clean freak conditioner, DevaCurl's One Condition
    Styler(s): Jessicurl's Spiralicious Styling Gel
  • JunyJuJunyJu Registered Users Posts: 495 Curl Neophyte
    @SereneCurls

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, if it's light it might not work too well for me. *Some* lighter products have worked for me, but it isn't common. I think the *lightest* product I've used with good results was the DevaCurl Light Defining Gel. And the Mixed Chicks Leave-In (if you consider that to be light :laughing9:)

@spiderlashes5000

I'll look into those! I've heard quite a bit about AG: ReCoil on here. I've also been hearing a lot about Elucence as well! I think I saw it in Sally's not too long ago too.

@CalicoKitties

I have yet to find a conditioner that does for my hair what Deva's has. I used it this morning after weeks of using other products and I just really can't seem to escape it. My hair instantly curled right back up to perfection. I'm thinking I might just keep Deva as my conditioner since it makes my hair so happy (and me , though not the price!) and then look into other stylers.

I've tried the Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus stuff, and although I loved the smell, it didn't work in my hair; it seemed too heavy! I'm interested in their Fruit Fusion line, though. And unfortunately I did receive some Jessicurl samples and they didn't work very well at all for me. My hair was angry with me and my little brother asked why my hair 'looked so crazy'. My hair is so picky!

I wanna try the sniff test on all of these, at the least. I think I'm really leaning towards just giving in to Deva and finding a really good styler. I use the Deva light defining gel and it's great, but when I used my CURLS Cashmere Curls sample my hair was shiny and so soft! I want to see if any of these can give me those kinds of results. Because although my Deva combo (Condish + Light Gel) gives me GREAT definition, my hair is super crunchy and is never really soft, even after day 2.
    Medium texture, with some fine. Colored. High porosity, high density. 3b/3c; multicultural.

Oh I love Recoil. It lasts forever too. Hmm, have you tried using a bit of oil between your conditioner and your gel? Or mixing a couple drops with the conditioner you leave in? That could soften the crunch maybe. My only familiarity with Deva stuff is when it's been used on me after cuts, and to be honest it felt producty when dry both times.

• spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    Oh I love Recoil. It lasts forever too.

Yeah, my hair is almost waist length in the back & super dry, color treated & highly porous & I use only a marble-sized blob... and even that is probably too much.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using CurlTalk App

I'm interested!

And I've found that using a light leave-in underneath has helped! I and discovered a conditioner under my mom's sink that is pretty nice. It's called Generic Value Products Tea Tree Conditioner (it says compare to Paul Mitchell Tea Tree one). It's actually not bad, and I got soft hair today (although it STILL isn't dry...and it's literally been all day). Hopefully this continues to work; that should help with my softness issue too (and it's only like $7 :laughing9:)

Yay. :) Have you ever tried their generic value conditioning balm? It's amazing. I got some from a curly living in the States, and I'm so sad Sally's doesn't sell it in Canada. Also really cheap, so definitely worth a try. It works great as a leave in too, I'm saving the rest of mine to use as a leave in when the dews get low.

• LoveliamLoveliam Registered Users Posts: 318 Curl Connoisseur
    I've tried the Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus stuff, and although I loved the smell, it didn't work in my hair; it seemed too heavy

Yeah it is too heavy for me too. Probably because your hair is fine. You may want to test out some of the Mop Top products.
    Leigh :)
    3a mixed with 2C???
    Fine Texture
    Normal to low Porosity
    Low Elasticity

Mop Top Low Poo or Deva low poo
    Deva One Condition
    Deva B'leave-in for higher dews (Deva Foam for low dews).
    Deva Firm Hold Gel
    HG: Sweet Curls Crazy Curly Hard Hold Elixir after applying Deva and for 2nd/third day.
  • machermacher Registered Users Posts: 1,031 Curl Connoisseur
    JunyJu wrote: »
    @SereneCurls

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, if it's light it might not work too well for me. *Some* lighter products have worked for me, but it isn't common. I think the *lightest* product I've used with good results was the DevaCurl Light Defining Gel. And the Mixed Chicks Leave-In (if you consider that to be light :laughing9:)

@spiderlashes5000

I'll look into those! I've heard quite a bit about AG: ReCoil on here. I've also been hearing a lot about Elucence as well! I think I saw it in Sally's not too long ago too.

@CalicoKitties

I have yet to find a conditioner that does for my hair what Deva's has. I used it this morning after weeks of using other products and I just really can't seem to escape it. My hair instantly curled right back up to perfection. I'm thinking I might just keep Deva as my conditioner since it makes my hair so happy (and me , though not the price!) and then look into other stylers.

I've tried the Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus stuff, and although I loved the smell, it didn't work in my hair; it seemed too heavy! I'm interested in their Fruit Fusion line, though. And unfortunately I did receive some Jessicurl samples and they didn't work very well at all for me. My hair was angry with me and my little brother asked why my hair 'looked so crazy'. My hair is so picky!

I wanna try the sniff test on all of these, at the least. I think I'm really leaning towards just giving in to Deva and finding a really good styler. I use the Deva light defining gel and it's great, but when I used my CURLS Cashmere Curls sample my hair was shiny and so soft! I want to see if any of these can give me those kinds of results. Because although my Deva combo (Condish + Light Gel) gives me GREAT definition, my hair is super crunchy and is never really soft, even after day 2.

So far Deva Curl 'got me'. Don't know what it is about the One Condition. For me conditioner is the most important element.

If I was using it myself then it wouldn't be expensive. BUT our younger son has been using it and I think my wife is hitting the bottle LOL. My wife has extremely thick wavy hair like a rug and I've noticed her hair has been nicely moisturized lately and more wavy.

Last run I bought 2 bottles, one for our son for and one for me for our bathroom in our bedroom.

I know after trying a ton of product that I can't live without Deva Curl One Condition. But I think I could live with a different and cheaper cleansing product like maybe Suave Natural's. I currently stopped using a 'filler'/curl enhancer Deva Curl B'lieve-In cause I'm not into a really curly hairstyle but more of a wavy fluffier one. But our son likes the B'lieve-In.

My next run I'm going to have to buy the largest bottle of One Conditon and keep the 2 smaller bottles and fill the 2 smaller bottles up as needed.

As far as a sealer I'm thinking I could live without Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel. I'd like to find some kind of mousse if I can.

I'm sticking with Deva One Condish but searching for a cheaper alternatives for a cleanser and sealer.
    The same is happening to me! With other conditioners I can get okay results, but my absolute best days are always with Deva One Condish, and I can only get day 2+ hair with it. The other conditioners just don't seem to he enough. I'm trying another that my mom bought for me yesterday, the OGX coconut milk one. It smells great. Hopefully it works, or else I'm doomed to spend a ton on conditioner always!

• sixelamysixelamy Registered Users Posts: 4,157 Curl Novice
    If you like Deva One Condition, the Yes to... line is very similar to it (ingredient-wise), and it only costs around $8 for a bottle. I haven't tried Carrots, but I have tried Cucumbers and Blueberries. Blueberries was good for when my hair needed help, and Cucumbers is good now for when my hair is healthy.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • SortaRicanSortaRican Registered Users Posts: 310
    @JunyJu I use the KCCC and I absolutely love it!!:love7: I don't necessarily love the price for the small amount that you get but a little goes a long way with this stuff IMO and I also enjoy the smell of it, it's a light custardy smell although, I can't smell it once it's on my hair and dry. I wasn't a big fan of the KCKT, my hair needs a lot of moisture and KCKT just didn't give my hair what it wanted/needed. I use the Giovanni Lightweight Leave-In conditioner and then style with the KCCC. I get both at Target, well I get most of my hair products at Target....it's so hard to walk down the curly hair product isle and not grab something new.

I tried the devacurl products when I first got my devacut....I didn't hate them I just found products that gave me similar results for a more reasonable price.

@sixelmy, I'm just curious how do the Yes to conditioners differ from one another? I currently use the Yes to Carrots but I'm interested in trying some of the others to see if I get better results.
    3b/3c
    Fine, Long, High Density, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Products
    CoWash: YTC Nourishing Conditioner/AO Honeysuckle Rose
    LI: GDLI
    Styler: KCCC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    For me personally, my hair did best with the Blueberries when I had hard water and heat damage in my hair. Once my hair became healthy and I switched to soft water, the Cucumbers is awesome, and the Blueberries is not for me anymore. I don't know how much help that is. I found Blueberries more conditioning than Cucumbers.
  • MsPMsP Registered Users Posts: 116
    I must suggest you give the conditioner only method a try. Go to Welcome You will find a list of conditioners that can be left in your type of hair instead of gels. You may use a 100% natural oil on top of this as a sealer if your hair is super dry (LOC Method).
    Also check out the inspirational story of Teri LaFlesh
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dDGcfTqhmY
    My Routine:
    Coconut oil drench the night before I co-wash
    then cowash and deep condition each time w/ Keracare Humecto, Joico Moisture Recovery and/or ApHogee 2min
    then usually airdry
    Grapeseed oil nightly

(no gel, mouse, or hair spray. My delicate, fine hair will tear if I even try to run my fingers through it with any of those. :angel9:)
    My go to leave ins are now: my regular conditioners listed above, gs oil, or PW77
  • SortaRicanSortaRican Registered Users Posts: 310
    @sixelmy, thanks that does help. I'm going to give both a try. I'm pleased with the results I get from carrots so if neither does anything for me I can always go back to carrots. I just like to keep my options open especially since formulas are often changing and you never know when a product will be discontinued.
    3b/3c
    Fine, Long, High Density, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Products
    CoWash: YTC Nourishing Conditioner/AO Honeysuckle Rose
    LI: GDLI
    Styler: KCCC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks for the responses, guys! I can't remember which of you said it, but I had the same experience with KCKT not being moisturizing enough (it actually dried my hair out so badly I had to use quite a bit of another moisturizer to fix it). I'm not eager to purchase more products from them after that.

My inner product junkie seems to be quieting, so I think I'll stick to what I know. I will give Yes to Blueberries a try, as although my hair isn't really damaged anymore, it IS super dry naturally, so that interests me if it is really moisturizing (I just have to see the price!). As for stylers, no results have beat my combo of Mixed Chicks LI + SM Curl enhancing smoothie (at least for my hair). I'm just experimenting with my gels now!

YTBbs is about $8/bottle.

Leave a Comment