Discouraged and In Need of Suggestions!

ashleymcashleymc Registered Users Posts: 9 Curl Neophyte
Right now I'm using DevaCurl and not liking it. I've tried Wen, Dove, Redken's Curly Line, some Shea Moisture, a couple of Lush products, and so far haven't quite found my routine...

Here are my issues:

-My roots (especially the back of my head) constantly feel like I'm leaving product in lately. I use Apple Cider Vinegar once in awhile to try to clarify, but I need a better long-term solution!

-Overall, my hair is fairly dry I think. It frizzes all over, and I basically always have that halo of frizz.

-My hair is awful after I sleep on it. I end up putting it up after one day because I don't want to wash it every day.

The only product I DO love is my tresseme mousse.

Any suggestions!?

Comments

• sixelamysixelamy Registered Users Posts: 4,157 Curl Novice
    Do you have hard or soft water? If you have hard water, look for a shampoo that contains some form of EDTA or citric acid (or both). If you have soft water, you don't have to worry too much about it - the gentler the better.

First off, you will need to clarify, which can be done with a clear shampoo that contains cocamidopropyl betaine. You can go to a sulfate clarifying shampoo if you wish. The ones I personally love are Yes to Cucumbers sulfate free (great for hard water), or Neutrogena Anti-Residue (contains sulfate). A lot of people on this board like the Suave Clarifying shampoo.

You will need to cleanse with the appropriate shampoo or cowash for the conditioner you are using - what I mean by this is if it contains any ingredients that build up, like silicones, polyquats, waxes, butters, etc. Here is a great link to determine what surfactant to look for if you are using silicones: What's the Scoop on Silicones?

Deva products contain a lot of polyquats which some people can have problems with. Most common complain is frizz when wet which also stays when dry. The Shea Moisture products contain a lot of shea butter, which can also build up and cause the frizz halo (they did for me big time). Wen contains a silicone, which doesn't build up on itself, but it can still keep the hair coated preventing good ingredients from penetrating/conditioning your hair properly and I don't believe it contains the surfactant to remove it properly (but correct me if I'm wrong).

Since you like the Tresemme mousse, have you tried the Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture conditioner? This one does not contain a silicone, so no need to worry about anything building up and giving you that halo of frizz if using a low poo (sulfate free shampoo). You don't have to be silicone free, but keep in mind your cleanser when using silicones. You may also want to look into deep conditioning and/or protein treatments depending on your hair type. Texture Typing 101

Hope this gives you somewhat of a starting point.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights