All natural co-wash?

Hi everyone! :)

I've really been getting into all natural home made beauty products lately, and have also reading about the co-wash method.

I haven't tried making conditioner or going co-wash, but I'd like to give it a go.

So I was wondering if anyone has done it, and what recipes they've used? I think I'd prefer a conditioner bar (that looks like soap), but any recipe would be great, thanks! :)

Comments

• BeautyOGBeautyOG Posts: 383Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've been wanting to do this too! Sadly I haven't found a recipe yet... But I will let you know if I do!

Sent from my QMV7B using CurlTalk App
    My Hair:
    3b - Low Porosity - High Density - Medium/Course Strands - Virgin Hair - Armpit Length, Curly

Current Products:
    DIY Shampoo
    Tresemme Aloe Conditioner
    It's a 10 Leave In
    Sweet Almond Oil
    Tresemme Mousse

Current Length Goal: Waist Length, Curly

• AriallaArialla Posts: 6Registered Users
    That would be great BeautyOG, thanks! :)
  • BeautyOGBeautyOG Posts: 383Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I looked for a conditioner recipe and the only thing that I saw was mixing store bought conditioner with an oil. But from what I read you want a homemade conditioner, not a store bought conditioner. So, I created a recipe for a conditioner that can be used for co washing.

1/4 to 1/2 cup of ACV
    1 cup of Shea butter
    1/2 cup of Coconut oil
    1/3 cup olive oil
    1/4 cup of avocado oil
    20 drops of Peppermint & rosemary essential oils

Blend ingredients together in a blender until smooth and store in a air tight container.

You can add/ take away oils to fit your hair type but the Shea butter is key in making the conditioner pliable.
    Hope this helps you!

Sent from my QMV7B using CurlTalk App
    My Hair:
    3b - Low Porosity - High Density - Medium/Course Strands - Virgin Hair - Armpit Length, Curly

Current Products:
    DIY Shampoo
    Tresemme Aloe Conditioner
    It's a 10 Leave In
    Sweet Almond Oil
    Tresemme Mousse

Current Length Goal: Waist Length, Curly

• ThaaThaa Posts: 7Registered Users
    Hi, the problem with conditioner bars is that they generally have a very high content in oils and butter, if that's ok with you you can find recipes on an article on naturally curly named "How to make your own DIY conditioner bar". Personally because I have low density and fine hair, it tend to weight my hair down and built up too much. If you find a recipe you like you can always try to reduce the oil and butter content by using starch (like potato, arrow root or tapioca starch). Additionally high oil contents tend to not react well with the surfactants you would add to clean your hair. If you want a diy all natural co-wash you can try to mix an indian cleansing powder like shikakai or sidr or even clay with a powder that has detangling and conditioning properties like marshmallow root. You mix the powders add water until it become like a paste and apply it to your hair, then rince it well.
    3b long hair - low density - fine hair - medium porosity

Minimalist and 100% homemade routine :
    Shampoo : Homemade solid shampoo
    Detangler and leave-in : Homemade marshmallow root gel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file