As the days go by my hair gets stringier

machermacher Registered Users Posts: 1,031 Curl Connoisseur
My hair is starting to get on my nerves and is looking like crap on the 2nd day +. Up until about a month my 2nd day+ hair would look good with refreshing. Now when I refresh it's stringy.

I'm thinking I either need a trim or maybe I have to condish everyday.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• chupiechupie Registered Users Posts: 5,280 Curl Connoisseur
    If my hair acts weird all the sudden the first thing I try is a "reset" and sulfate wash it. Especially as a wavy we sometimes need that.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • machermacher Registered Users Posts: 1,031 Curl Connoisseur
    chupie wrote: »
    If my hair acts weird all the sudden the first thing I try is a "reset" and sulfate wash it. Especially as a wavy we sometimes need that.

Sulfate not sulfate free. Can you elaborate.
    Just any old plain clarifying shampoo. I use Suave daily clarifying shampoo. The bottle was a dollar and I've had it 2 years.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • CaylynnCaylynn Registered Users Posts: 117
    I agree with chupie. Every now and then a lot of us wavies need to clarify. Either with a CG-friendly clarifying shampoo (like Kinky Curly Come Clean - but some say this is more harsh that sulphate-containing shampoos) or with a sulphate shampoo (sometimes diluted, depending on the person and how their hair responds).
    Canadian - 2A/2B - chin length, med/avg porosity, medium texture, thick density (but thinning)
    Group fitness instructor & marathon runner - need to wash daily
    Low-poo: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat
    Co-wash: Tresemmé Naturals
    RO: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat, Tresemmé Perfectly Undone, Sukin Protein
    LI: Tresemmé Perfectly Undone, Sukin Protein
    Stylers: Tresemmé Perfectly Undone Sea Foam, Andalou Naturals Sunflower & Citrus Gel, Giovanni Naturals Mousse
    Kinky Curly works plenty well. But as little as it is needed a big cheap bottle of a no frills poo does well for me.
  • MeiMei Registered Users Posts: 259 Curl Neophyte
    You don't need to sulfate wash to reset the hair, this a common misconception among CG people. There are some very strong clarifying shampoos that are CG friendly. Shea Moisture African Black Soap shampoo is insanely clarifying and will still allow you to remove all the buildup without using a harsh sulfate. If I find my hair has some really bad product buildup and is stringy, I wash thoroughly twice with the African Black Soap shampoo and it completely cleans my hair and scalp of buildup. I do it 2-4 times monthly to avoid any buildup. Lately I've only been needing to do it twice a month because Devacurl products don't give me buildup.

At this point conditioning more is probably going to make it more stringy. I would do a strand test for porosity and then alter your products to reflect that. A product will do you no good if it doesn't work well with your hair's porosity level.
    Multicultural (Caucasian/Filipina)
    2b/2c - f - iii - low porosity - normal elasticity
    Holy Grail: Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair
    I rotate through the rest of my products depending on weather and etc but usually don't need them
    I try not to use products tested on animals if I can help it.
    Link: Updated hair picture January 2017
    Mei wrote: »
    You don't need to sulfate wash to reset the hair, this a common misconception among CG people. There are some very strong clarifying shampoos that are CG friendly. Shea Moisture African Black Soap shampoo is insanely clarifying and will still allow you to remove all the buildup without using a harsh sulfate. If I find my hair has some really bad product buildup and is stringy, I wash thoroughly twice with the African Black Soap shampoo and it completely cleans my hair and scalp of buildup. I do it 2-4 times monthly to avoid any buildup. Lately I've only been needing to do it twice a month because Devacurl products don't give me buildup.

At this point conditioning more is probably going to make it more stringy. I would do a strand test for porosity and then alter your products to reflect that. A product will do you no good if it doesn't work well with your hair's porosity level.

My hair is a lot like yours, wavy/curly.

I use Devacurl products and it seems like my hair doesn't have buildup. Until recently my hair wouldn't get stringy on the 2+ days. I would refresh and it would look better than 1st day hair.

My hair is shoulder length and have an appointment with a Devacurl stylist this weekend. I went to her about 6 weeks ago and she did a great job. It's possible my hair might need some length cut off.
    This is my hair after Devacurl One condish and Deva B'Leave-In. Will give it time to dry and see what it looks like when I scrunch the crunch out.
    Decided to use my wife's diffuser cause I don't want to get up too early to let my hair air dry. Worked out pretty good. Not completely dry but dry enough to let it air dry more before I leave for work.

What I did different this morning was although I cowashed etc yesterday, I decided to condish my air AND apply B'Leave-IN gel in the shower after I squished my air. I then applied the gel over land scape and used a cotton tee to squish it in.

Will see how my hair is tomorrow morning. My stylist who has curly wavy hair told me she condish's her hair every day.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file