A new 2 member here/shampoo dilemma

IACurly2IACurly2 Registered Users Posts: 4
Hi all, I introduced myself on the newbie board a couple of weeks ago, but I am just now getting around to the intro on this forum. Even though I am new to the board, I am not new to curly hair since my curly hair is turning gray..... Anyway, I am a 2a/b at my roots and around my face, my ends and the back of my head are a solid 2c. So of course I fight the dreaded lampshade effect. My hair is fine and of low porosity. The biggest problem I have is volume/lift on top with out frizz while not encouraging the lamp shade. My hair gets weighed down easily. I use an old t-shirt to scrunch my wet hair, use clips on my roots and dry with a diffuser. I am pretty happy with my routine except for my shampoo, I am alternating this summer with Kiehl's Superbly Smoothing Argan Shampoo and Clairol's Shimmer Lights for gray/blonde hair. I love the Kiehl's, but it is too heavy once the summer humidity is over, so not my overall HG. The Shimmer Lights keeps my gray from looking dingy and funky, but it is harsh. I CO wash every other day with Suave Coconut. I think in the winter I will CO wash most days, maybe only shampoo twice a week. On the days I use shampoo I use a pea sized drop of L'oreal EverCurl leave in cream followed by Fructis Pure Clean Styling Gel. On the days that I CO wash I use Deva's Light Defining Gel and skip the EverCurl. I have used the Fructis Root Amp on just my roots, but have to be very careful with the amount...too much and my hair is a sticky mess. Anyway, any shampoo rec's for the fall/winter? I am still looking for my shampoo HG and I know you all are a smart, experience bunch. Thanks, and sorry this got kinda long...

Comments

• BeinDebBeinDeb Registered Users Posts: 583 Curl Connoisseur
    Hi IACurly2, and welcome! I could recommend any of the Shea Moisture shampoos, as they are all quite moisturizing. My current favorite is the Jamacaian Black Castor Oil, although I also like both the Yucca Plantain, as well as the Coconut Hibiscus.

Regarding the Shimmer Lights...I've tried that too, but cannot use because it was so drying to my silver, fragile & fine, high porosity hair. What I can highly recommend for the "dingys" is Ardell's Red Gold Corrector plus. It's a very small bottle that can be purchased at any Sally's Beauty Supply in the hair coloring section. I add a few drops to any shampoo and/or conditioner, mix it in my hand, and it works great without the dreaded drying factor. I usually add it to shampoo, as it seems to work better.
  • naturecatnaturecat Registered Users Posts: 1,986 Curl Neophyte
    SM fruit fusion weightless. Cleansing and lightweight. My hair properties are similar to yours. The other I use is Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle shampoo. But SM is less drying overall.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • CalicoKittiesCalicoKitties Registered Users Posts: 101
    +1 to sheamoisture's fruit fusion weightless shampoo! I also have 2b/2c hair (and maybe even a few 3a curls thrown in) and I just got this shampoo; I'm loving it so far :) plus, it smells wonderful lol

Also, if you want some washing/styling tips for wavy hair, I actually just put up a post about it on my blog. Here's a link if you're interested: Carefree Curls: How to wash/style wavy hair
    Started CG method on June 14th, 2015.

Currently 2b/2c
    Medium/high porosity
    Medium/fine texture
    Protein-loving

I have a hair blog! :) check it out: http://carefreecurls.blogspot.com/

Twitter: @CalicoKitties

Current HG products-
    Cleanser: NYM's clean freak shampoo, SheaMoisture's Fruit Fusion Shampoo
    Conditioner: NYM's clean freak conditioner, DevaCurl's One Condition
    Styler(s): Jessicurl's Spiralicious Styling Gel
  • ExpectoPatronumExpectoPatronum Registered Users Posts: 143
    +2 for SM. Shea Moisture's Fruit Fusion shampoo is great! I don't have fine hair, but even I like it because my waves are sensitive to product build up. I also really like the coconut and hibiscus shampoo from Shea Moisture.
    :color: HAIR STATS & ROUTINE :color:
    2c/3a--medium porosity--medium density--medium/coarse
    Cleansers: Shea Moisture Scalp Detox Shampoo, wash ~2x a week
    Conditioners: Cantu Hydrating Cream Conditioner (RO,HG!)
    Stylings: SM Curl and Style Milk (HG), Camille Rose Curl Maker (HG!)
    SOTC: SM Curl and Style Milk
    Oils: Coconut
    Working with waves since April 2015

• MeiMei Registered Users Posts: 259 Curl Neophyte
    Shea Moisture is very heavy for my fine, dense, low porosity hair, to the point that my 2a/2b on my crown goes flat. I went 100% Devacurl and only use SM's ABS to clarify a couple times a month. Best decision ever.
    Multicultural (Caucasian/Filipina)
    2b/2c - f - iii - low porosity - normal elasticity
    Holy Grail: Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair
    I rotate through the rest of my products depending on weather and etc but usually don't need them
    I try not to use products tested on animals if I can help it.
    Link: Updated hair picture January 2017
    Mei wrote: »
    Shea Moisture is very heavy for my fine, dense, low porosity hair, to the point that my 2a/2b on my crown goes flat. I went 100% Devacurl and only use SM's ABS to clarify a couple times a month. Best decision ever.

Have you tried SheaMoisture's fruit fusion line? I agree that SM's other products would likely be too heavy for fine hair, but the fruit fusion line is meant for fine to medium hair, so it's more lightweight :)

Currently 2b/2c
    Medium/high porosity
    Medium/fine texture
    Protein-loving

Current HG products-
    Does fruit fusion have a strong fruity scent?

I would call it more of a floral-y fruity scent.. It's really refreshing. I can't think of how to describe it lol, but I really love the smell of it, and I'm picky about things that smell floral-y :)

Currently 2b/2c
    Medium/high porosity
    Medium/fine texture
    Protein-loving

Current HG products-
  • MeiMei Registered Users Posts: 259 Curl Neophyte
    Mei wrote: »

Have you tried SheaMoisture's fruit fusion line? I agree that SM's other products would likely be too heavy for fine hair, but the fruit fusion line is meant for fine to medium hair, so it's more lightweight :)

The Fruit Fusion line was one of the worst, aside from the kid's line. They made my hair super greasy. The only one that works okay for me, and only in winter, is the African Black Soap. I use the SM ABS shampoo as a clarifier a couple times a month, but the conditioner works well in winter to keep my hair moisturized. Even Deva products weigh my hair down and the products I use are pretty much the lightest you can get. That's why my products only get applied from the tops of my ears down. Only the Low-Poo goes near my scalp.
    Multicultural (Caucasian/Filipina)
    2b/2c - f - iii - low porosity - normal elasticity
    Holy Grail: Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair
    I rotate through the rest of my products depending on weather and etc but usually don't need them
    I try not to use products tested on animals if I can help it.
    Link: Updated hair picture January 2017

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file