Graying Hair, Texture Changing

TheSpicyKrautTheSpicyKraut Registered Users Posts: 4
It's hard to see in my photos, but my hair is graying (especially on top and at my temples). I'm opting to allow it to happen because I'm curious to see what it will look like. The biggest change I've noticed in my hair is a change in texture. Some pieces are becoming very wiry, while I still have a good portion of fine and medium textured hair. Regardless, I have a dense head of hair and a lot of natural body. (No volume/body inducting products needed here!) Question: does anyone have suggestions for styling such different types of hair on one head? You can see the products I use in my signature (also what my hair looks like in back). I do tend to keep to natural products and am pretty low maintenance, but am willing to do what's needed. Thanks for any ideas!
2a (some 2b in back), dense, medium texture, normal porosity and elasticity, above chin (CG since March 2015)
Low Poo: SheaMoisture Raw Shea Butter Moisture Rentention
Co-wash/R O: Tresemme Naturals
Stylers: Fruit of the Earth 100% Aloe Vera Gel OR LA Looks Sports Gel
Once per month: deep condition or protein treatment (depending on needs) AND Kinky Curly Come Clean to remove product build-up

[/FONT]

Comments

• MeiMei Registered Users Posts: 259 Curl Neophyte
    My mother is growing out her gray too. She uses the same products as I do (Devacurl) and the same routine with excellent results. Because she only washes twice a week, her grays retain moisture better than they would if she was washing more often. If any of your products have alcohol in them, what she found was it was very drying on her hair.
    Multicultural (Caucasian/Filipina)
    2b/2c - f - iii - low porosity - normal elasticity
    Holy Grail: Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair
    I rotate through the rest of my products depending on weather and etc but usually don't need them
    I try not to use products tested on animals if I can help it.
    Link: Updated hair picture January 2017
  • rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,355 Curl Connoisseur
    no easy answer -- i need to apply more product to a patch of hair in the front of my head.... and i have found that i need to seal as gray hair loses moisture more quickly.
    have you been reading the threads on the Going Gray forum?

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • TheSpicyKrautTheSpicyKraut Registered Users Posts: 4
    No, I haven't checked out the Going Gray forum--will do. Thanks!
    2a (some 2b in back), dense, medium texture, normal porosity and elasticity, above chin (CG since March 2015)
    Low Poo: SheaMoisture Raw Shea Butter Moisture Rentention
    Co-wash/R O: Tresemme Naturals
    Stylers: Fruit of the Earth 100% Aloe Vera Gel OR LA Looks Sports Gel
    Once per month: deep condition or protein treatment (depending on needs) AND Kinky Curly Come Clean to remove product build-up

[/FONT]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file