Coconut oil as a deep treatment?

lunachick01lunachick01 Registered Users Posts: 9
Hi all,
I have read a lot about how great coconut oil is for deep conditioning, but I'm nervous to try it because I'm not sure if it will weigh down my hair. For those of you that use it, what brand do you use? How do you use it....do you apply heat? How long do you use it for? Also, does it really work or would I be better off trying something else? Any advice/recommendations you can provide will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!

Comments

• silmachausesilmachause Registered Users Posts: 8
    Hello! I've tried the coconut oil as a leave-in and also as a deep conditioner and it doesn't work for me. It weights my hair down, and heavy. My hair is 2b-2c, very fine and with low porosity. Argan oil woeks for me and I would like to try the jojoba oil.
  • CaylynnCaylynn Registered Users Posts: 117
    I only use coconut oil as a pre-poo once a week. Basically, the night before I'm going to wash my hair the next day, I coat my hair in coconut oil, until it is quite greasy. Then I sleep with the coconut oil in my hair overnight (protecting my pillow with an old t-shirt or a towel.) Then the next day I shampoo out the coconut oil.

Basically I do the coconut oil pre-wash treatment described here:
    The Wavy Library: Coconut Oil

I use organic coconut oil (because I also use it on my cats, and I don't want them licking anything not organic).

I don't use heat.

If you aren't sure how your hair will respond, I suggest applying coconut oil to a small section, on the underside of your hair first, to see what it does.
    Canadian - 2A/2B - chin length, med/avg porosity, medium texture, thick density (but thinning)
    Group fitness instructor & marathon runner - need to wash daily
    Low-poo: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat
    Co-wash: Tresemmé Naturals
    RO: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat, Tresemmé Perfectly Undone, Sukin Protein
    LI: Tresemmé Perfectly Undone, Sukin Protein
    Stylers: Tresemmé Perfectly Undone Sea Foam, Andalou Naturals Sunflower & Citrus Gel, Giovanni Naturals Mousse
  • MeiMei Registered Users Posts: 259 Curl Neophyte
    Weighs my hair down no matter how I use it. My fine, low porosity, dense 2b/2c hair can't stand oils. My routine is simple and works great. I rarely, if ever, do a deep treatment, because my hair is healthy and not dry.
    Multicultural (Caucasian/Filipina)
    2b/2c - f - iii - low porosity - normal elasticity
    Holy Grail: Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair
    I rotate through the rest of my products depending on weather and etc but usually don't need them
    I try not to use products tested on animals if I can help it.
    Link: Updated hair picture January 2017
  • naturecatnaturecat Registered Users Posts: 1,986 Curl Neophyte
    I use it as a pre poo sometimes, and only in small amounts mixed in warm water. That way it doesn't overly weigh down or grease up my hair. It gets absorbed into my hair overnight, and then the shampoo rinses it clean the next morning. In fact, thanks for the reminder… I think I shall use coconut oil tonight.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file