Straight hair con second day

silmachausesilmachause Registered Users Posts: 8
Hello everyone! Muy hair is really fine, low porosity and when I style it it is 2b-c, even with some spirals . but the second day my hair is straight! And:sad5::happy7::sad5: if I try to refresh it's really hsrd because it becomes scrunchy. I"m really sad about it because i'm thinking about giving up and come back to silicones and sulfates snd to my everyday ponytail. Why do you think it happens? Does it happens to you?

Comments

• WavycatWavycat Registered Users Posts: 325 Curl Connoisseur
    Yes, my hair goes straighter too. If I want curls after day one I have better luck totally rewetting and adding some conditioner in and then a tiny baptism rinse ; just until it's smooth-feeling again. I only have luck refreshing about 20% of the time. That's what I do if I want curls again. Most times I work with what my hair is doing by I wear it either 1/2 up or totally up so I'm not touching it all the time.
    Tell us your routine and we'll see if we can tweak anything.
    SE PA
    2C/3A med, med density,med elasticity, high porosity color-treated
    No Poo: various VO5s testing Gliss Volumizing (keratin) for summer
    Citric acid rinse or vinegar
    RO: SM Honey Mask with agave
    Conditioner only styling with water, water and more water, or jojoba + SM Superfruit
    Styler: KCCC or Ecostyler Olive Oil occasionally
    Love most oils but can't use CO in winter
  • ExpectoPatronumExpectoPatronum Registered Users Posts: 143
    I had a similar issue for a while - and it still happens from time to time. Here are a couple things I found helpful.

-Using a harder hold gel. I know you don't like the crunch, but if you scrunch it out it disappears. Using a harder hold gel really helps keep my hair curly for longer as opposed to creams, which do nothing to hold my curls.
    -Sleeping in a pineapple/with a satin pillowcase. Because my hair is out of the way, my head doesn't squash any of my waves or curls.

Doing those two things has really helped me get my curls to last through til washday. A few pieces might inevitably straighten out, and my curls might loosen a little, but they're still there for the most part.
    :color: HAIR STATS & ROUTINE :color:
    2c/3a--medium porosity--medium density--medium/coarse
    Cleansers: Shea Moisture Scalp Detox Shampoo, wash ~2x a week
    Conditioners: Cantu Hydrating Cream Conditioner (RO,HG!)
    Stylings: SM Curl and Style Milk (HG), Camille Rose Curl Maker (HG!)
    SOTC: SM Curl and Style Milk
    Oils: Coconut
    Working with waves since April 2015

• silmachausesilmachause Registered Users Posts: 8
    Hello, I don't find a routine that really works on me, but I can tell you all the products I have right now, I shampoo with the Shea moisture coconut & hibiscus shampoo, then I condition with the shea moisture Yucca & Baobab Volumising Conditioner ( I always use this routine in the shower) then I use a t-shirt to dry a little my hair and then I style with different products: The She Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk,the , Coconut & Hibiscus Curling Gel Soufflé, the Cantu Coconut Milk Shine Hold Mist , the Cantu Shea Butter Moisturizing Curl Activator Cream and the Ecostyler Moroccan Argan Oil Styling Gel, I've tried a lot of combinations, and I don't find the good one.
    If I understand this then you're happy with your curls day one using some or all of these products?
    Now tell us what you do to your hair at bedtime and upon waking.
    SE PA
    Conditioner only styling with water, water and more water, or jojoba + SM Superfruit
    No, I'm not happy, in fact I wrote asking for help with my routine some days ago because my hair feels heavy and with no definition and very frizzy but in the last 3/4 days the second day is worst, my hair is straight. Perhaps the curly girl method is not for me, because my hair is worst now than when I started, more frizzy, heavy, my roots feel really heavy like sticked to my scalp and I feel like if I have lost my waves. And the second day is worst now than some months ago, I do the pineaple and two months ago I had waves on the morning, now is a mess, no waves and it seems dirty. I cut my hair like 10 cm last month, perhaps that's the reason, but I think is because I don't find a good routine.
  • naturecatnaturecat Registered Users Posts: 1,986 Curl Neophyte
    Hm, I notice you're using some SM products, both for washing and styling. Lots of wavies, esp those with fine hair, find them to be too heavy for their hair. Perhaps this is weighing your hair down, esp by the 2nd day. I just scrolled back and your properties are fine and lo-po… definitely at risk of being weighed down. Shea butter will weigh it down too. I have similar properties to you. Some of my products are in my signature; perhaps that would help you. I can either get 2nd day hair or get 2nd day hair by wetting and refreshing (and I sleep in a silk sleep cap). Currently I rinse my hair with irish moss when done washing, blot out water with microfiber towel, spray in a combo of JC spiralicious, SS PT and SS CC, blot, scrunch in my gelatin gel, diffuse, then add in either LP curl mousse then BRHG or just more harder holding gel, diffuse til dry. Then SOTC. Your current routine would leave my hair with no curl. So maybe you just need to experiment with different products before getting 2nd day hair.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
    I agree about the SM products. I would just start with the basics again and add things one at a time to see what works. But definately back to basics. I have been using the KMF conditioner also and I rotate a couple VO5s in my rotation too. I noticed you wre using the soufflé maybe you could try instead a DIY flaxseed gel. I would clarify first and then start.
    SE PA
    Thanks you so much for your help. I will do what you tell me, I will strat with the basics and try products of a different line. Thank you!!!! ( I don't know if I will find the products because I live in Spain but I'll try)
  • BabyfineBabyfine Registered Users Posts: 149 Curl Novice
    Harder hold gel is the only thing that works for me.
    My hair goes straight 2nd day, too, especially in winter or dryer weather.
    I can get 2b/c on wash day with hard hold gel.

I used to re-wet and restyle my hair every day but I am now not doing that any more I think my hair is stronger if I don't wet it down every day.

One thing I've thought about doing is "wet sets" with rollers or a bun or braid on wash day that way the curls stay in somewhat until until next wash day.
    Plus satin or silk pillowcase definitley helps.
    I'm looking for more curl, body, volume, and shine-a miracle really.
    Poos" Nioxin, Devacurl, Jessicurl
    Leave in: Ouidad Moisture Lock/B'leavein
    Rinse out: VO5 Kiwi Lime, Mane and Tail,Too Shea
    Mousse: Oscar Blandi Hair Life, Ouidad Playcurl
    Gel: Devacurl Light defining gel
  • CaylynnCaylynn Registered Users Posts: 117
    It does sound like you might be trying too much at once. Go back to a simple routine: one product to wash with (either low poo or co-wash), one product to use as an RO and LI (you can use the same conditioner for both) and then one styling product (lots of wavies like gels, but some prefer mousse or other types of products).

Keep it simple to start, and see what your hair likes.

Good luck!
    Canadian - 2A/2B - chin length, med/avg porosity, medium texture, thick density (but thinning)
    Group fitness instructor & marathon runner - need to wash daily
    Low-poo: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat
    Co-wash: Tresemmé Naturals
    RO: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat, Tresemmé Perfectly Undone, Sukin Protein
    LI: Tresemmé Perfectly Undone, Sukin Protein
    Stylers: Tresemmé Perfectly Undone Sea Foam, Andalou Naturals Sunflower & Citrus Gel, Giovanni Naturals Mousse
  • chupiechupie Registered Users Posts: 5,280 Curl Connoisseur
    That's a lot of shea products for a 2. I would try lighter products. I am barely a 2a/b but I can get volume and wave for 3 days If I am using moisturizing but light products. And I have to stay away from shea butter. I can use products that are light or liquidy with liquid shea (probably shea oil) fine. but if it is buttery, it is much too heavy and kind of builds up. If I were you I would try a good conditioner, leaving it is for the most part and then some things like mousse and a gel, or currently I'm having amazing luck with the new Deva SuperCream and gels or Jelly type products. I highly recommend trying something like MopTop Curly Hair Custard or Flax Seed Gel (which you can actually scrunch into dry hair too and regain some nice definition). I love Oscar Blandi Hair Lifting mousse or Tigi Extra Strong hold mousse. I'm still searching for a good replacement for when I run out of VolumaxMega gel, but Biosilk Rockhard Gelee comes closest (so far). I hear Alba has a good gel. I frankly believe that you have WAY too much Shea going on.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • MeiMei Registered Users Posts: 259 Curl Neophyte
    I use Deva almost exclusively now, but when I was using SM products, I literally didn't even need styler if I squished to condish. That was in part due to the climate where I was at the time, though. In any case, Deva ultra definining gel leaves zero crunch after you scrunch, and there is no gunky feeling once it's been scrunched either. I LOVE it... And I hate gels so that's saying something.
    Multicultural (Caucasian/Filipina)
    2b/2c - f - iii - low porosity - normal elasticity
    Holy Grail: Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair
    I rotate through the rest of my products depending on weather and etc but usually don't need them
    I try not to use products tested on animals if I can help it.
    Link: Updated hair picture January 2017

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file