How much is too much?

spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
How much in the way of condiments or seasonings or sweeteners or other add ons is OK to use for the food or drink you buy at a restaurant? Can you ever use so much the restaurant tells you to chill and put some back/spot using?

Many yrs ago I started a thread asking how much ~extra~ plastic wear and other things you take from a food spot (and wow, did that turn into a good time!) But now i'm asking about stuff you actually will use immediately on that particular meal or beverage? Like if you like a LOT of ketchup on your fries and you buy fries from a certain restaurant. Or if you like a LOT of sugar or Splenda in your iced tea? Or if you need a LOT of napkins bc you are a messy eater. Or if you drink a LOT and require many refills from a place that offers free refills. Or if you dump out an entire bottle of syrup onto your pancakes? Or ask for 40 packets of soy sauce for your rice or whatever? Can it ever be too much? Or does the customer have the right to enjoy her meal however she likes it?

Comments

• CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 10,904 Curl Connoisseur
    No, use what you want.

At the very least, you're a little comic relief to the wait staff.
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • StarmieStarmie Registered Users Posts: 7,169 Curl Virtuoso
    I think if the stuff's there to be used on the meal you're paying for then you should be able to use however much you like.
    3b in South Australia.
  • PerriPPerriP Registered Users Posts: 6,613 Curl Neophyte
    I always have to ask for extra ketchup at whataburger. They only want to give you two. I need three. Sometimes it's met with resistance ("there's ketchup in there").but I've never been told no

~ sent with love and good intentions ~
    Modified CG since Dec 2011
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    As much as you want. Go for it!:nike:
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • DedachanDedachan Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Curl Neophyte
    I think it's down to common sense. I imagine a generous serving should be fine (as in, above what the average person uses), unless we're talking about a very excentric amount. Technically they laid it out for you to use freely, but it's meant for multiple customers and they are counting that the costs with those extra items will average out to low amounts per customer. Some customers will use none to very little, others will use larger amounts. That's to be expected. But what you don't want is to give the impression you are wasting it all up because hey! it's free! and I have some obnoxious point to prove about my rights as a customer. Or maybe just really oddball eating habbits...but that can't be healthy.
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Registered Users Posts: 15,490 Curl Neophyte
    Can we do a thread about sticking rolls in your purse or pockets? I just had a flash of Annett in Steel Magnolias squirreling away goodies for later.

I'm one of the people who uses little to none so someone is free to have my share. I rarely eat anything with my fries and if I do, one pack of ketchup is enough. I never add additional salt to my food. Now I will use the hell out of some black pepper. The only things I really care about are pepper and a few dipping sauces but I never use more than one small serving. I do not drench my food in anything and have not touched a pack of sugar or sweetener since I was a child. I hated sea food when I was little. HATED!! The smell literally made me full on food aversion/sick and anytime I was drug into a seafood restu ran the only thing I would eat was lemons. It was the only thing I could stomach. Lemons with sugar. Lots of sugar. * (I had to pop out for a minute). That said, I agree that it should be okay as long as the person is not being crazy. I don't think the price of your mean includes every ounce of each condiment. Would someone really use a whole bottle of syrup and every pack of sugar?

(I've never taken additional plastic knives, forks & spoons either. Nothing but napkins.)
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Keltey1031Keltey1031 Registered Users Posts: 115
    Really, it's up to you. I tend to take/use/request within what seems logical to me. What's reasonable (and taste) is subjective. While I worked as a barista, I had a few customers that absolutely fascinated me with their coffee idiosyncrasies. One customer in particular would get our largest iced coffee and load that thing up with so much sugar there was a good inch and a half of sugar sitting at the bottom of the transparent plastic cup. One of my co-workers one day actually counted how many sugar packets she had used, a number I can no longer remember, but for the majority of people would be enough for at least 5 similar-sized iced coffees. Our manager didn't particularly care because it's not like generic brand sugar packets cost a fortune. On the other hand, we did at one point keep Sugar in the Raw packets out for customers, but after a few decided to dump the entire bin of packets into their purses/pockets, Sugar in the Raw quickly became something we had to keep behind the counter.
    2b/armpit length/high density/normal porosity/medium texture/normal elasticity
    Cut hair from mid-back length to armpit length on 9/19/15

Current Products
    SM Strengthen Grow & Restore Shampoo
    SM Coconut Water Fruit Fusion Shampoo
    SM Marfura Oil Intensive Hydration Conditioner
    HE Naked Volumizing Souffle
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    Keltey1031 wrote: »
    Really, it's up to you. I tend to take/use/request within what seems logical to me. What's reasonable (and taste) is subjective. While I worked as a barista, I had a few customers that absolutely fascinated me with their coffee idiosyncrasies. One customer in particular would get our largest iced coffee and load that thing up with so much sugar there was a good inch and a half of sugar sitting at the bottom of the transparent plastic cup. One of my co-workers one day actually counted how many sugar packets she had used, a number I can no longer remember, but for the majority of people would be enough for at least 5 similar-sized iced coffees. Our manager didn't particularly care because it's not like generic brand sugar packets cost a fortune. On the other hand, we did at one point keep Sugar in the Raw packets out for customers, but after a few decided to dump the entire bin of packets into their purses/pockets, Sugar in the Raw quickly became something we had to keep behind the counter.

So once you put it behind the counter, what was the policy concerning its use? Was there a limit on how much a customer could use?

• CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 10,904 Curl Connoisseur
    I feel like you got busted somewhere, SL for taking too many ketchups :lol:
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
    I feel like you got busted somewhere, SL for taking too many ketchups :lol:

No, but I think I'm making enemies of the staff at this cafeteria I frequent for using all of their Splenda LOL

They keep a hidden box of Splenda packets under the soft drink fountain area and I have just started just taking fistfuls from there myself after I empty the little bowl they leave on the counter. I used to ask the employees if they had more; now I just reach down and dig the box out myself. I'm not sure if I'm pissing them off by doing this or making life easier for them. Splenda is expnsive tho. I don't use Splenda every day but some days I just want it and I buy the XL size iced tea. It takes A LOT of Splenda to sweeten that much tea. I also carry the liquid sucralose in my bag, which is better, but I keep that for emergencies (i.e., Chipotle).

• JosephineJosephine Registered Users Posts: 14,408 Curl Connoisseur
    LOL, was waiting for the story. I need 6 sugar packets from McDonalds for a small coffee. I know they think it's a lot sometimes but whatever. I hardly get coffee from there anyways. I probably use too much here at work but that's different (we have a large sugar container).

Trying to sweeten unsweet tea is way too much! It never really works when you add sugar to cold tea....I think it does barely when you add loads of it, that is sorta wierd! Do they not have sweet tea? Or do you only want to use splenda I guess? When I go up north or weird places with no sweet tea, I ask if they have simple syrup and add that or just drink unsweet.
  • curlyprincess1curlyprincess1 Registered Users Posts: 468
    Haha. I'm taking extra butter and extra cups; you betcha!
    It's not easy being a princess, but hey, if the crown fits.
  • curlyprincess1curlyprincess1 Registered Users Posts: 468
    Josephine wrote: »
    LOL, was waiting for the story. I need 6 sugar packets from McDonalds for a small coffee. I know they think it's a lot sometimes but whatever. I hardly get coffee from there anyways. I probably use too much here at work but that's different (we have a large sugar container).

Trying to sweeten unsweet tea is way too much! It never really works when you add sugar to cold tea....I think it does barely when you add loads of it, that is sorta wierd! Do they not have sweet tea? Or do you only want to use splenda I guess? When I go up north or weird places with no sweet tea, I ask if they have simple syrup and add that or just drink unsweet.
    Yes, extra packets are needed because of the dissolve issue. My parents are all about Sweet N Low; ugh. Do you use lemon? Or should I even ask? haha
    It's not easy being a princess, but hey, if the crown fits.
    Yes, extra packets are needed because of the dissolve issue. My parents are all about Sweet N Low; ugh. Do you use lemon? Or should I even ask? haha

Lemon? I don't. Ugh I cant imagine sweet tea with anything other than sugar. I guess if you're putting it in cold tea you can't really taste it that much anyways so not the same thing.

Simple syrup?? Girl, no. I'm trying to lose weight...not gain it! With as much iced tea as I drink I have to go either unsweetened or calorie free. (And the liquid sucralose is also completely carb free, too, unlike the powder.) And yeah, Splenda id much easier to dissolve in cold tea. Sweet tea? LOL I'm laughing at you...maybe if I was still 25. :p (I do love sweet tea tho...just can't do it anymore.)

Simple syrup?? Girl, no. I'm trying to lose weight...not gain it! With as much iced tea as I drink I have to go either unsweetened or calorie free. (And the liquid sucralose is also completely carb free, too, unlike the powder.) And yeah, Splenda id much easier to dissolve in cold tea. Sweet tea? LOL I'm laughing at you...maybe if I was still 25. :p (I do love sweet tea tho...just can't do it anymore.)

LOL, I don't drink tea or anything in general often enough for me to cut calories in what I drink. I forgot I am weird. I do love OJ though and was drinking a couple glasses a day so I don't drink it anymore or just have it once in a while..same with sweet tea. I've never liked my tea 'ghetto' sweet though. I like it slightly sweet and these days I just do half and half or I can go unsweet as well.

I am so glad I'm not a big drinker. I prefer saving those calories for food.

As for your splenda issue..if you're taking fistfuls everyday..hmm..that might be excessive lol. But I would do it anyways if I had to lol.
    I wonder if you can make a simple syrup with Splenda?? I don't know why not, but that might be easier.

We don't really have unsweetened tea here. When I'm in the states though, I'll get half sweet tea/half unsweetened. I can't do the gritty bits you get when adding sugar.
    Audrey Hepburn
    I wonder if you can make a simple syrup with Splenda??

So I did a quick search -I didn't realize splenda dissolves in cold liquids so there would really be no point in doing a simple syrup with splenda.

So I did a quick search -I didn't realize splenda dissolves in cold liquids so there would really be no point in doing a simple syrup with splenda.

Thanks! I've never used it, so no clue :)
    Audrey Hepburn

Thanks! I've never used it, so no clue :)

SL brings up a good point..i only use sugar in my coffee(just one cup a day for 5 days/week)..but im wondering if i should switch to splenda if would make a huge diff. Every bit is probably counting a lot more now.
    I'm one sugar, 3 milk (XL coffee/day). I cut back from 3 cream/3 sugar, it's the only real added sugar I have in a day (I do a loose Sugar Busters), so not sure if it would make much of a difference.

Has anyone baked with it though?
    Audrey Hepburn
  • battahbattah Registered Users Posts: 273 Curl Neophyte
    You can kind of make simple syrup with Splenda, but you have to use the kind that's for baking, not the kind in the packets - it's a little bit different. But it doesn't thicken up like sugar does. When my mom makes syrup for Arabic sweets she often does half Splenda and half sugar, to make it a little less bad for you.

And you can definitely bake with it, but again, have to use the kind that's for baking, that comes in bags. It measures the same as sugar so you don't have to convert measurements for recipes.
    Trying to figure out porosity - medium to low, I think? Medium texture, rapidly greying, and free of dye/relaxers since 2010. 

Claim to fame - Inventor of plopping when it was called "the towel trick"!!

Does it taste the same?

Is it that much better (or less worse I guess!) for you?
    Audrey Hepburn
    Does it taste the same?

It tastes closer to sugar than anything else but not exactly the same.

It doesn't spike your insulin like sugar (which can be important if you are diabetic, prediabetic, have blood sugar issues, are trying to avoid calories, are trying to avoid mood crashes or are trying to lose weight) and it contains fewer carbs (if you count carbs). The liquid form contains no carbs at all. Scientists keep trying to prove it is unhealthy but they really can't come up w/ anything. It's made from sucrose.

If you consume a lot of table sugar, it might be useful to give it a try to reduce overall calories. But if you don't, then maybe not worth it (it's expensive).

Thanks!!!

Sugar grams are the only thing I really count in a day, so everyday use it wouldn't be worth it. But might pick some up for baking.

If you're reading this, Jeepy, have you tried it in those peanut butter cookies?
    Audrey Hepburn
    Thanks!!!

Sugar grams are the only thing I really count in a day, so everyday use it wouldn't be worth it. But might pick some up for baking.

If you're reading this, Jeepy, have you tried it in those peanut butter cookies?

I've baked w/ it, cooked w/ it, made ice cream w/ it...works pretty well.

• battahbattah Registered Users Posts: 273 Curl Neophyte
    Does it taste the same?

You know, in baking I think it tastes about the same, but in drinks it tastes different to me if I use more than like 3/4 of a packet. But most artificial sweeteners do that to me - I taste some bitterness if I use too much.
    Trying to figure out porosity - medium to low, I think? Medium texture, rapidly greying, and free of dye/relaxers since 2010. 

Claim to fame - Inventor of plopping when it was called "the towel trick"!!

battah wrote: »
    Does it taste the same?

You know, in baking I think it tastes about the same, but in drinks it tastes different to me if I use more than like 3/4 of a packet. But most artificial sweeteners do that to me - I taste some bitterness if I use too much.

Yea splenda is the only substitute I can use if I have to..but it still tastes pretty awful to me. I've just been slowly cutting back the amount of sugar I put in my coffee.
    Thanks!!!

I've baked w/ it, cooked w/ it, made ice cream w/ it...works pretty well.

Gonna try it in cookies this weekend & report back!
    Audrey Hepburn
  • PigletPiglet Registered Users Posts: 1,451 Curl Neophyte
    I baked with Splenda once as I had nearly run out of sugar.The plan was to use the rest of the sugar and top up with Splenda. Problem is, I forgot that Splenda is much lighter than sugar. Lets just say the cakes were very sweet.
    Yes, my tail is naturally curly.
    No, it was NOT me who cried 'wee wee wee wee wee' all the way home.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file