Morbid?

StarmieStarmie Registered Users Posts: 7,169 Curl Virtuoso
il_340x270.813112663_27y7.jpg

Or is it just me?!
I have a colleague/friend who's having a baby and I want to do a cross stitch for her. She's into Peter Pan (really into) and is doing the nursery with a PP theme, but not a Disney version. I saw this and like it but I just have it in my head that a thing for a baby that says 'never grow up' is somehow not right because what's the alternative to growing up?
Am I weird for thinking it's morbid? I know she'll 'get it' and know the thought behind it but I'm just not sure. Am I overthinking here?
Opinions most welcome!
3b in South Australia.

Comments

• PerriPPerriP Registered Users Posts: 6,613 Curl Neophyte
    I don't think it's just you.
    It really could do either way.

We lost an infant in my family so it means something different for me than maybe someone who hasn't had that experience.

That said, i really like the pattern.

~ sent with love and good intentions ~
    Modified CG since Dec 2011
  • CurlyFelineCurlyFeline Registered Users Posts: 156 Curl Neophyte
    I wouldn't choose that text either. Maybe you could find another text that's meaningful to her.
    Maybe you could do something like "welcome to the world" or something else that's more creative... ;)
    3A curly (cherub curls)
    fine, med to low density, rather low porosity
  • DCWavyLadyDCWavyLady Registered Users Posts: 373
    I like the pattern, but not the words. I don't really know why-just rubs me the wrong way. I agree with the previous poster-use the pattern and change the words.
  • cailincailin Registered Users Posts: 928 Curl Connoisseur
    I agree, there's just soemthing "off" about the words.

Maybe "Believe in magic" or "Dream big" or something like that.
  • juanabjuanab Registered Users Posts: 4,037 Curl Neophyte
    I agree as well, regarding the wording. Perhaps the phrase "Believe in yourself" would work?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using CurlTalk App

texture - medium/fine, porosity - low/normal, elasticity - normal
    co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
    LI - KCKT mixed w/ SM C & H Curl & Style Milk
    DC - NG Mango & Coconut H2O or Chamomile/Brdck Root
    Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)
    Sealers - Virgin Coconut Oil, Avocado butter, Aloe butter
    Ayurvedic treatments - Jamila Henna, Sukesh, Aloe Vera Powder, Hibiscus Powder

event.png
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    I agree with the other posters. How about something Tinkerbell might say?
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
    Or second star to the right
    Or think happy thoughts

(Wording suggestions)

• JosephineJosephine Registered Users Posts: 14,408 Curl Connoisseur
    I guess I'm odd one out but I think you're wayy over thinking it. I think it's cute and it goes with the peter pan message, right? I like it.
  • scrillsscrills Registered Users Posts: 6,700
    Overthinking. it means stay childlike and its' from Peter Pan, what he was all about, and even part of the name of where he lived, Neverland
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    Yeah, on pregnancy forums a lot of women who've lost babies in infancy or due to miscarriage or stillbirth do use imagery like that (angel-like figures w/ words like that) in their signatures to denote the loss. Not so much creepy but veeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrry sad and depressing to me.

• scrillsscrills Registered Users Posts: 6,700
    If you are worried about how it comes off, include a note about how you want the kid to stay childlike and wild with imagination
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Registered Users Posts: 2,075 Curl Neophyte
    Totally think you're overthinking it, but I do really like PerriP's suggestion of 'think happy thoughts' as an alternative. It's such a great line
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • dollydaggerdollydagger Registered Users Posts: 36
    Starmie wrote: »
    il_340x270.813112663_27y7.jpg

Or is it just me?!
    I have a colleague/friend who's having a baby and I want to do a cross stitch for her. She's into Peter Pan (really into) and is doing the nursery with a PP theme, but not a Disney version. I saw this and like it but I just have it in my head that a thing for a baby that says 'never grow up' is somehow not right because what's the alternative to growing up?
    Am I weird for thinking it's morbid? I know she'll 'get it' and know the thought behind it but I'm just not sure. Am I overthinking here?
    Opinions most welcome!

good call -I think your right in feeling the words are kinda off.
    2 b/c Botticelli
    Fine-ish strands with fine-medium density and high porosity
    Co wash- like to change it up-currently rotating a few shea moisture ones (restorative, thickening, and noni) as well as giovannis tripple treat and smooth as silk.
    Favourite stylers- kinky curly curling custard, curl keeper
    Favourite deep conditioning mask- Shea mositure Yucca strengthening FTW! .. this ones great for noticeably improving elasticity
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Registered Users Posts: 15,490 Curl Neophyte
    I do not find that particular Peter Pan quote morbid. It's the exact same thing as stay young at heart. Completely different story if it was "To die will be an awfully big adventure". Peter Pan is slightly morbid anyway. Crocodiles keeping track of time... That is what makes it so great.

"All the world is made of faith, and trust, and pixie dust" is another fantastic JMB quote.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 10,904 Curl Connoisseur
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
    Fifi.G wrote: »
    I do not find that particular Peter Pan quote morbid. It's the exact same thing as stay young at heart. Completely different story if it was "To die will be an awfully big adventure"

That's the only way I interpret the message. I love it, it's also totally me :).
    I'm totally in with "think happy thoughts" :)
    3A curly (cherub curls)

LOL and that one's my least favorite. It sounds extremely lame to me. But that's just me :).
    @josephine Maybe you're right. Now that I'm thinking about it.

:p
    3A curly (cherub curls)
  • StarmieStarmie Registered Users Posts: 7,169 Curl Virtuoso
    I didn't expect so many replies, thank you all!
    The mum-to-be is a big enough fan of PP to be giving the baby, if it's a girl, the middle name of Darling, so mostly I think she'd take it the right way. She did, however, have a miscarriage last year and that's why I think it might not be the right thing. I did see another pattern with just the figures (not as nice) and thought I could find another quote which would be nicer, but then finding quotes which are actually from the book and not too long has been harder than I thought - lots of nice quotes, the first one CC posted was what I had in mind, but apparently it's from the Disney film, not the book.
    I think I'll probably give it a miss and do something else, just in case.
    3b in South Australia.
    http://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/1358908-peter-and-wendy

All the world is made of faith, and trust, and pixie dust.
    J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan

What about faith, and trust, and pixie dust?

• CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 10,904 Curl Connoisseur
    I like that, Perri!!!

You could even shorten it to just the 3 words to fit your pattern better if needed.
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
    I do like that one. Or the 'second to the right, straight on til morning' (think that's right) which is maybe a bit obvious but would fit with the figures flying through the night.
    Luckily she's not due until Xmas.
    3b in South Australia.
    Josephine wrote: »

LOL and that one's my least favorite. It sounds extremely lame to me. But that's just me :).

No it's not. It's pretty 'happy, happy, joy, joy' lame. Babies are miserable creatures anyway. They cry 90% of the time. They're also illiterate. Haha. In all seriousness, it is fairly generic.

PS on the "Never Grow Up", I think some take it to a morbid place and historically others have taken it further with Peter Pan Syndrome. That is just for the people who take it far to literally. Never take on responsibility, remain worthless and act childish. Completely different than the intent to remain young at heart, curious, inquisitive, playful, and full of imagination and wonder. All the things that make being a kid so magical. And all the things that get harder and harder to retain as you get older, (especially when schools are trying to kill all these things but that's another topic).
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I do like that one. Or the 'second to the right, straight on til morning' (think that's right) which is maybe a bit obvious but would fit with the figures flying through the night.
    Luckily she's not due until Xmas.

Even just second to the right
    Or straight on til morning. If she's a fan, she knows what it means and with the flying people, I think it's great

I think that's what I'm leaning towards. Thanks.

Fifi - I'm pretty sure she would take it in the young at heart, magical kind of sense, it's me being negative. When my boys were babies I would never say "see you in the morning" to them at bedtime as I've seen it so many times in death notices in the paper, and that, to me, was kind of tempting fate. I know I must sound ridiculous, I think I have issues!
    3b in South Australia.
    I don't think you have issues, starmie. I think you are being sensitive to a friend.

I think that's what I'm leaning towards. Thanks.

Fifi - I'm pretty sure she would take it in the young at heart, magical kind of sense, it's me being negative. When my boys were babies I would never say "see you in the morning" to them at bedtime as I've seen it so many times in death notices in the paper, and that, to me, was kind of tempting fate. I know I must sound ridiculous, I think I have issues!

We all have our quirks. It's not weird or necessarily negative. It's common superstitions and I think parenthood brings them out more. I know people who will not say goodbye for similar reasons.

Some even work after things happen. See... It's bad luck if your baby/tot does not fall off the bed. It's all over but the crying once they start rolling.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sixelamysixelamy Registered Users Posts: 4,157 Curl Novice
    I like the never grow up. It's so innocent.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
    This is what I ended up with, finally finished it a few days ago.

[IMG][/img]DSCF0244_350x262_zpskj5kdyq6.jpg
    3b in South Australia.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file