Question about shea moisture products

curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
When I got my new great haircut, the stylist used Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie. I loved how curly my hair was but it also felt sticky and kind of dirty. What I'd like to know is whether the Shea Moisture Milk is likely to be "lighter" or whether I should consider a shea moisture conditioner or whether this line is just too heavy for my 2 c hair.

What is your experience and suggestions?
2/c Coarse hair med. density.
Highly porous. Color over grey.
I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
Every day is a gift :flower:

Comments

• Keltey1031Keltey1031 Registered Users Posts: 115
    It may be that your stylist used too much product for your hair. I have thick 2b hair and love the Curl Enhancing Smoothie. I always take about a half dollar coin sized amount and scrunch it into my hair then add a bit more to areas I feel didn't get enough attention.

I haven't tried the Style Milk but if you're wary about whether or not the Smoothie will work for you, often Walgreens/CVS will have a Buy 1 Get 1 Free or 50% Off that makes it very reasonable to try both. I have also seen coupons for $3 off in my local newspaper ads on occasion. For what it's worth, I didn't care for either the Gel Souffle or the conditioner from the Coconut & Hibiscus line.
    2b/armpit length/high density/normal porosity/medium texture/normal elasticity
    Cut hair from mid-back length to armpit length on 9/19/15

Current Products
    SM Strengthen Grow & Restore Shampoo
    SM Coconut Water Fruit Fusion Shampoo
    SM Marfura Oil Intensive Hydration Conditioner
    HE Naked Volumizing Souffle
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    Kelley - thanks! :flower:That makes perfect sense to me. If you don't mind, could you answer one other question? Did you find that the Smoothie gave you enough hold?
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
  • MeiMei Registered Users Posts: 259 Curl Neophyte
    As someone who has spent over $1000 on hair products and services in the last 2 years, I can say... Sometimes you just have to try stuff. The coupon idea is a good one. I have low porosity hair, so a lot of products "sit" on my hair and don't get absorbed. That's why I switched back to Devacurl. I love Shea Moisture though, and if it was sold in Canada, I'd probably use it. For me to get Shea Moisture products, I have to have my boyfriend, who lives in the USA, ship them to me. And that would get costly if I was using multiple products. I only use their African Black Soap Shampoo as a clarifying shampoo now, so one bottle lasts me in between visits with my boyfriend.

But Shea Moisture is a solid brand and they have excellent prices.
    Multicultural (Caucasian/Filipina)
    2b/2c - f - iii - low porosity - normal elasticity
    Holy Grail: Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair
    I rotate through the rest of my products depending on weather and etc but usually don't need them
    I try not to use products tested on animals if I can help it.
    Link: Updated hair picture January 2017
    Thanks a lot, Mei. I agree with you that you just have to try stuff, but right now I am on a limited budget so I was hesitating.

I appreciate your input, though. Eventually, I'll probably buy it and give it a try, using less than the stylist used. :wave:
  • MeiMei Registered Users Posts: 259 Curl Neophyte
    I feel you on the budget thing. I use my Devacurl products sparingly, and try to go my full 2 days without a wash, even if I exercise, because they are $26 + tax per bottle.

Garnier does have some decent products for cheap that worked pretty good on my 2b/2c hair, but they're tested on animals, so I stopped using them.
    Multicultural (Caucasian/Filipina)
    2b/2c - f - iii - low porosity - normal elasticity
    Holy Grail: Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair
    I rotate through the rest of my products depending on weather and etc but usually don't need them
    I try not to use products tested on animals if I can help it.
    Link: Updated hair picture January 2017
  • ExpectoPatronumExpectoPatronum Registered Users Posts: 143
    I'd like to add my two cents! I've tried both of the products.

I don't really feel like the two are the same at all. I feel like the Milk is more geared towards being moisturizing as I found it doesn't do anything in terms of enhancing curls. That said, it's still a great product and I use it very frequently. It's one of the few products I've actually repurchased. It's really good for days you might not want your hair to be the curliest, but want it to be shiny and very soft. I also use it to scrunch out the crunch and to help tame frizz. In a pinch, I've also used it as an RO conditioner. I basically always have a bottle of the Milk around because for me, it's so multipurpose.

I have a tub of the smoothie still laying around. I liked my curls on it, but also didn't like the stickiness. Now I'm wondering if I was using too much. Today is wash day. Looks like I have an experiment!
    :color: HAIR STATS & ROUTINE :color:
    2c/3a--medium porosity--medium density--medium/coarse
    Cleansers: Shea Moisture Scalp Detox Shampoo, wash ~2x a week
    Conditioners: Cantu Hydrating Cream Conditioner (RO,HG!)
    Stylings: SM Curl and Style Milk (HG), Camille Rose Curl Maker (HG!)
    SOTC: SM Curl and Style Milk
    Oils: Coconut
    Working with waves since April 2015

Expecto - very informative post! Thanks a lot. At least now I know what the difference is between the 2 products and they are very different.

If you have time, I'd be interested to know how your experiment with less of the Smoothie turns out.
  • ExpectoPatronumExpectoPatronum Registered Users Posts: 143
    I'm glad I can help!

Well I just washed and styled my hair. I'm very happy with the results so far. It's about 90% dry and I have very nice curls. I do think I used a tad too much on my ends though, but I think that'll go away as my hair dries a little more (and my hair absorbs the product).

I think I like the results more than AG Recoil. Recoil gives me similar curls to this, but it dries my ends out. I'd rather have slightly greasy ends than dried out ends.
    :color: HAIR STATS & ROUTINE :color:
    2c/3a--medium porosity--medium density--medium/coarse
    Cleansers: Shea Moisture Scalp Detox Shampoo, wash ~2x a week
    Conditioners: Cantu Hydrating Cream Conditioner (RO,HG!)
    Stylings: SM Curl and Style Milk (HG), Camille Rose Curl Maker (HG!)
    SOTC: SM Curl and Style Milk
    Oils: Coconut
    Working with waves since April 2015

• BeinDebBeinDeb Registered Users Posts: 583 Curl Connoisseur
    Curlypearl, I've used and use both, although I do like them better for the fall/winter months. I've used them together and separately. As is oftened mentioned regarding shea moisture products, a little goes a long way. My hair adores the Smoothie, but I haven't had much luck using it as a styler by itself. I usually have to use a bit of gel on top. The up side is that there's not much crunch using both, and the Smoothie does enhance my curl pattern like nothing else. I get a ton of curls with it. Clumping? Not so much. The curls separate in smaller sections with the Smoothie but I always use it when I'm in the mood for big hair.

Like Expecto, I like to keep the milk around for moisturizing purposes. It is versatile and I use it for a rinseout, leave-in, and refresher. I greatly prefer the milk over the regular coconut/hibiscus rinseout conditioner. My hair just responds to it better.

As is with most things, you'll just have to try it. One never knows how our curls will react. They do seem to have little minds, all their own!
  • ReservechicReservechic Registered Users Posts: 798
    With the Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus line, i din't have any issues with using the shampoo and conditioner in the line at all. Now, the Curl Enhancing Smoothie is the most thickest and richest styling cream that i have ever come across. When i first used it i wasn't wowed with it. That was because it has a huge amount of shea butter, and my hair can handle products that have shea butter best when they are rinse out products, not when they are ones that are designed to be left in. Even though originally when the Curl Enhancing Smoothie came out, i could have sworn on the labeling that it said that one of the ways that it could be use is as a rinse out conditioner.

It took quite some trial and error, before i was able to get the right amount for use in my hair. However, if i use it in my hair on my wash days, i use it on totally soaking wet hair, because other than that, the shea butter would probably just sit on top my hair, with me wondering when or if, it would ever completely absorb into my hair. It does leave my hair feeling producty, and applying it to get 2nd day hair and beyond is challenging, because it does have the ability to build up in my hair. Now, i do get curl definition with it, and as far as it's frizz control, i don't have major issues with such, so my hair stays relatively frizz free will i have it in. And, it leaves my curls moisturized, but not moisturized for several days, at least with my hair. Plus, it doesn't really provide much hold, which actually doesn't bother me, since I don't prefer to use products that provide a strong or maximum curl hold to them, because they really dry out my hair.

I do plan to eventually use up the jars of Curl Enhancing Smoothie that i have within my product stash. However, i don't think that it is a must-have for my curls, and probably won't be purchasing anymore of it in the future.

With the Curl & Style Milk, it is lighter in consistency, but it still takes some time in which to fully absorb into my hair. With my curls, it provides definition, a soft curl hold, i have never experienced frizz with in my hair, but i simply don't find it to be a must-have for my hair. Plus, i find that the moisture that it provides doesn't last very long either. Now, I do know that some individuals will use it as a leave in moisturizer underneath their curl styler of choice and it works well for them that way, while there are others that have used it underneath the Curl Enhancing Smoothie, and have got good results with such, while there are others that have not had good results with this product at all. With my hair, the Curl & Style Milk is an okay product, nothing that i find to work spectacular for my curls. Which is why, i really have not actually bought a bottle of it, in a very long time.

With the Curl Enhancing Smoothie, for some individuals it is way to heavy for them to use on their curls at all. The Curl Enhancing Smoothie is a product, is one that some curlies are able to get away with using as a moisturizer, while there are some curlies that are able to get away with using it as their main curl styler without any issues. I can say, that with the Curl Enhancing Smoothie, it is a product that i have only mainly used when the weather is cool or cold out. As, in hot and very humid weather, it just makes my hair feel like i have a whole bunch of stuff in it, and feeling weighed down, when i only have one thing in my hair. So, i basically avoid using it at all during this time of year, in my hair (which works best for me).
    Diagnosed with Scalp Eczema 6/2015
    (Don't hair type/loose curl pattern/fine texture/low density/high porosity

Current Regimen (Ayurvedic Based):
    Cleansers- Bobeam Shampoo Bars
    Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I only wear my hair in wash n gos or buns. Also,
    I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!
    curlypearl wrote: »
    Kelley - thanks! :flower:That makes perfect sense to me. If you don't mind, could you answer one other question? Did you find that the Smoothie gave you enough hold?

Hold can be a bit of an issue...it's not a gel so it doesn't work in the same way KCCC does. With KCCC my hair is more defined but crunchy while the Smoothie does enhance my curls but without the crunch and needing to scrunch later in the day. If you're having issues with hold, try using a spray gel after you apply the Smoothie. Also, if you're having trouble with it during the summer, try it again when it's cooler or less humid out and your hair may respond better.

Current Products
    Expecto - thanks again! I also like AG re-coil but I think it has mag sulfate which dries out my hair so I never use it. I would also prefer slightly greasy ends to dried out hair.

Bein Deb, your post convinced me - I'm going to buy the Smoothie, because the same thing happened to my hair (when the stylist used it on me) that you describe. A ton of small curls - but it looked great. It just didn't last, so I will need to put a gel on top. Experiments - here I come!

Reservechic, thanks for that detailed response. May I ask what you use during hot/humid weather? I think your idea to use the Smoothie during cold weather (when I have the most trouble with my hair) is a great idea. Now while it is hot/humid I will experiment with a gel on top.

Kelley, can you recommend a spray gel? I have several gels but none as a spray. If you have one you recommend that doesn't cost the kingdom, I would love to know what it is.

Great responses - I have been on this website for so many years and I am still learning! It's a journey - as many of you say. :love10:
    Pearl - I currently use Hask Controlled Curls Hair Defining Spray. It has pretty CG-friendly ingredients with the one silicone being water soluble. If you have ever used the Garnier Fructis Curl Shaping Spray Gel, Hask's is slightly thinner and I find doesn't make my hair crunchy. Those are the two I can think of that are budget friendly. I know you can pick up the Hask gel at Ulta. Ulta also does Buy One Get One 1/2 Off on the Hask line and you can use the $3.50 off $10 coupons as well.

One thing I'd like to note is that once I spray the gel into my hair, I don't touch my hair except to pin some back away from my face with bobby-pins. Before I use the gel, I've already sprayed in a leave-in and scrunched in either a curl cream or mousse so if I then scrunch in my gel on top of that, I just find it to be scrunch overkill that results in lots of frizz and no curl definition. Good luck with your experimenting!

Current Products
    Thanks very much Kelley. I have spent a frightful amount of money on hair products so I welcomed your suggestions. Everything seems to change because of the weather. I just can't seem to get consistent results. Oh well, onward! :profileleft:
  • hellokt1813hellokt1813 Registered Users Posts: 10
    Very informative thread! I just picked up the travel sized Curl Enhancing Smoothie from Ulta today for $3.99 even though I didn't know what I would do with it. I've tried the styling milk before but found it too oily with no hold-- so I guess I used it wrong, and perhaps it really is just for extra moisture.

I love the Coconut and Hibiscus shampoo and conditioner though because it makes my hair seem softer and lighter and I just love the smell. Incidentally, their conditioner is on sale at Target right now for $5.38! I bought three! Are they phasing it out? I hardly see it at Target anymore-- the rest of the line, sure, but not the conditioner.
    Kelley, I may buy the Hask spray if I can find it in a drugstore, otherwise I may break down and get it from Ulta. I go back and forth with cg - I know it works great for some people but I dye my hair and I feel that I must use a sulfate shampoo to be sure to get out the dye, so I'm not usually completely c.g for long.

11813 - I also picked up the Shea Moisture Smoothie - I'm excited. I'm going to try it and will post back. I hope you let us know your results also!

Thank you everyone. ;-)
    Curlypearl, make sure you start out with just a tiny bit...pea size or smaller! (I use about a pea size.) I emulsify it well by rubbing my hands with it and a tiny bit of water prior to application. Again, less is more with this product.
  • orangeserendipity32orangeserendipity32 Registered Users Posts: 313 Curl Connoisseur
    How cool that your stylist uses SM products at your salon! I love what they stand for, the amazing natural ingredients, and the good smells.=) I have tried almost the entire coconut and hibiscus curl line and found it has been hit or miss. There are def other SM lines that I have found more success with (the manuka honey and mufura oil line @ Target is my HG for poo, condish, and hair masque). I found the smoothie to make my hair feel tacky and frizzy no matter how much or how I applied it, and always used it w/ gel on top. (I really like Mop Top curling custard or the Kinky Curly curling custard for the same purposes, and would highly recommend both). I would skip the curl souffle' as well as it is really heavy. Let's discuss the rest of the products in this line, shall we?;) The mousse was no bueno for me. As far as the poo and condish, it left my hair kind of dry and tangled.

The curl and style milk, however, is AWESOME. I use it both as a curl cream, and sometimes as a curl refresher on dry 2nd/3rd day hair. I just bought my second bottle! It never weighs my hair down, encourages curl formation and has a light hold. I may be alone on this, but I also really like the hold and shine mist when used in the middle of diffusing, as it helps w/ curl definition.

Def try other lines if you can! I'm currently using the Zanzibar Marine Complex line and I really like the poo, condish, and sea salt spray for summer, as they are light and moisturizing, and make my hair smell amazing. I think fine-haired curlies may have success w/ them as well. The leave in wasn't moisturizing enough for me though.

I find that w/ all the SM products a little goes a long way, so they last me a while. Like other have stated, there are some great sales for SM products at Walgreens for BOGO, and Ulta often advertises buy one get one half off. Target sometimes reduces prices or gives $5 gift card offers here and there. HTH!
    2c?/low-med porosity/medium texture
    Cruelty Free & CG
    Winter Routine:
    Co-wash: As I Am or Nubian Heritage Indian hemp and Tamanu
    Low-Po: Acure Argan Oil and Pumpkin Mega Moisture
    Condish: Acure "
    LI: Kinky Curly Knot Today
    Stylers: Mop Top curling Custard, Max Green Alchemy scalp rescue sculpting gel, Dermorganics spray gel as finisher, SOTC w/ Curls passion fruit control paste
    Refresh w/: Shea Moisture coconut hibiscus hold and shine mist and jojoba oil
    DT:  A variety of Shea Moisture 

http://public.fotki.com/orange32
    pw=ringlet
    Bein Deb, thanks so much for your input. I just used it and I was very careful to just use a tiny amount. I put a little hard hold gel over it.

Orange - that's great info about Walgreens since I have one in walking distance. If I try another SM product, it will be the milk that you suggest.

I have another question - I used the Smoothie today for the first time and I love how much it enhances my curls but I read the ingredients and one is ammonium SALT. Does this mean it will dry out my hair like those other products (Jessicurl, Mop-C, AG Recoil) that contain a different salt that dries out hair? I hope not! Please weigh in if you know about this.

ETA Wow! I really like how this helps my curls!
    I never realized there was salt in it. Prior to CG, and while figuring out that all my frizz was actually curls waiting to happen, I ruined my hair with the sea salt sprays. It dried out and was breaking horribly. I ended up having to cut several inches off. I have never had any problems like that with the smoothie. It seems moisturizing to me. Perhaps all of the other goodies within it counteract any drying that could result?

I just Googled it, and found this thread.
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/4/123972-smh-did-shea-moisture-change-there-ingredients.html
    Off to read...
    Bein Deb, terrific that you posted that thread! I tried googling Ammonium Salt in hair but I couldn't make head or tail of what I was reading.

I'd love to get the Curly Chemist's take on this as well as the mag salts. I know they are supposed to be drying but is that easy to counteract? I've been avoiding AG Re-coil, Mop-C and Jessicurl because they include some sort of salt.

If we are being so careful to avoid silicones like cyclo,,,zane (can't remember the name exactly) because it requires a sulfate shampoo to avoid build-up, is that any worse than using something with a pinch of these salts?

I am going to post in the general thread and see if we can get the Curly Chemist to weigh in on this, but kudos to you for posting that thread!
    :notworthy::notworthy::blob8:
    No problem...we're all here to help each other.

While I don't know or understand all of the chemistry stuff, I do know that quantities and mixology play a HUGE factor in any concoction. I learned that first hand, a long time ago when I had to play vet to a very large herd of Goats. I observed first hand that Goats use various Plants as medicine...some of them highly toxic. However, even highly toxic substances can produce healing Miracles when given in the right quantity and combined with other substances. They'll all work together to perform wondrous results.
    Well, I've decided Shea Moisture Smoothie and my curls don't get along. Even a tiny bit makes my hair sticky and stiff.

Oh well, glad I just bought the travel size. Into the garbage it goes.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file