Need shampoo/conditioner, etc. for type 2a or 3a, fine, low porosity--Thanks! :)

imbnyimbny Registered Users Posts: 7
I used to be a 3b (in 100% humidity), but in the desert (0% humidity) I'm lucky to have btwn a 2a or 3a (1a on a bad day.) I *really* miss my curly waves! I've fine hair, seems porous in the rain...but suffers in the desert, and it's thinned to about 1/3 of it's volume at it's best due to lupus. I used to have Botticelli curls, now it's just sad limp waves...(I don't know whether this makes a difference, but I'm pale as the moon.)

For a while I tried L'Oreal's Hydrocharge cowash (which smelled awful & may've caused some hair loss, but it made the prettiest curly waves.) L'Oreal's discontinued the product.

I've tried everything (and then some) since then, to no avail: Eden's coconut cowash, As I Am's cowash (both too heavy w/ no curls) L'Oreal's new hydrocharge line (no curls, smelled awful), Renpure's coconut cream shampoo and cream (did absolutely nothing, had strong chemical/patchouli smell)...I've even resorted to Dr. Bronner's peppermint castile soap and my dog's equine shampoo, lol (Bronner's was very temporarily curly/wavy, the equine shampoo...a lot less so.)

I *really* need to find a great shampoo, conditioner (or combo thereof), any extra moisturizing treatments (if needed) and a very lightweight style product, if any. Ideally, I'd like to find cruelty-free products.

Thanks so much!:blob3:

Comments

• naturecatnaturecat Registered Users Posts: 1,986 Curl Neophyte
    I personally use either Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle or Shea Moisture Fruit Fusion Weightless Shampoo. Conditioners I alternate between Aubrey Organics GPB, J.A.Y., and John Master's Avocado and Lavender. Lightweight style products… I like my gelatin hair gel. There's also Ouidad Climate Control, a serum-like product, AG Re:Coil (not strictly lightweight but you only use a drop of it), or Sweet Curls Elixirs Products (I use the crazy curly hard hold gel). You can try a mousse, like living proof or giovanni. Moisturizing treatments there's Aubrey Organics blue green algae, or homemade irish moss treatments. My hair is very thin, so I use things geared towards not weighing down my hair.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • wavycurlymesswavycurlymess Registered Users Posts: 48
    AG Re:coil has really helped boost my curls. I highly recommend it. I'm 2C/3A and when I don't use it I'm more 2B/2C but with it I am 3A.
    2B,2C with some 3A curls
    Shoulder-length
    Fine, Thin
    Medium porosity
    Color-treated
  • imbnyimbny Registered Users Posts: 7
    Hi!:bunny:

I bought the Shea Moisture Fruit Fusion Weightless shampoo & conditioner last night, partially b/c they were the easiest to find (added bonus, it was buy one, get one 50% off) and tried both this morning. Love the scent! (lighter and prettier than most perfumes--green apple, lychee, dragonfruit, yum!) So light it's hard to believe it works so well. Washed, raked conditioner through, letting water cascade over and not fussing with it afterward just to see how the clump & curl/wave would turn out. And despite having to wear a hat for hours, the bottom 5 - 6 inches produced a nice, bouncy wavy-curl w/ nice clumping. Looking forward to seeing what's possible in the next few days:love5:

I really want to use Re:Coil, but I'm allergic to sulfates and tomatoes, so I'll check out a few of the other brands you mentioned (heck, you did an incredible job recommending the Shea!) So a curl-charming product and a deep moisturizing pack to go (esp. until our winter monsoons give us a little humidity back, lol!)

I feel like I'm starting to get my hair back! Thanks Naturecat & Wavycurlymess!:wav:
  • SamanthaD2SamanthaD2 Registered Users Posts: 22
    Want to follow-I live in AZ and could use recs-I am a 2A/B
  • imbnyimbny Registered Users Posts: 7
    Hi SamanthaD2!:toothy4:
  • RosehillRosehill Registered Users Posts: 5
    I was using trader joe's tea tree tingle, but I just tried organix coconut water shampoo, and I really liked it. Moisture nicely (during a week at the beach even!) and didn't weight it down. I have thin hair too, and I felt like it really added a lot of volume.
  • SamanthaD2SamanthaD2 Registered Users Posts: 22
    Imbny this "dry" heat sucks!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file