Coarse, Thick Waves seeks Delicious Curls

amberlawamberlaw Registered Users Posts: 18 Curl Neophyte
OK, So I have been doing CG for several months now, and I feel like maybe this is as good as it gets. I've read a lot today about squishing and rinsing (which I will try) but my problem is this - I can get good curl definition if I diffuse, but no matter how I do that, I end up with huge, 80's style HAIR BAND HAIR. I do not want big hair. My products are in my sig. Currently I am gently scrunching water out and putting in the Smoothie before I scrunch dry with a t-shirt, scrunch in gel, and air dry. I get some decent waves but still, only curls on the bottom, where they get no love.
2015 946 (150x200).jpg 2015 942 (183x200).jpg IMG_3656 (173x200).jpg
Please to share with me your brilliant advice, thick haired lovelies.

(OK. Products did not show up in sig. Super. What I am using is: As I Am Co-Wash, Tressemme Perfectly (un)Done Conditioner (leaving some in), SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curling Smoothie and LA Looks Sport Gel.)
2a/b/c, coarse, high porosity, high density, blonde highlights hiding my salt and pepper, just a lot of dang wavy hair, is what it is.

Comments

• hilar_ridichilar_ridic Registered Users Posts: 45 Curl Neophyte
    Two things I notice, once is that you didn't mention using anything to clarify which is pretty important to do every once in a while, same with deep treatments. The other thing I notice is that you are using Tresemme Undone and you can search the other threads you will notice that a lot of wavies (me being one of them) have not had any luck with this conditioner. Although it feels great and may work at first it seems to have the ability to pull out our curls/waves. You may want to try changing that up and see if it helps. I am the definition of 80's hair band so I know where you are coming from. Its a constant search for the ultimate routine on here.
    2C - 1 year into CG
    Goosefootprints - Coarse, Dense, Normal porosity
    Started Co-Washing and and trying out different products.
    Any tips for similar hair would be great

CW: As I am/Suave Naturals
    RO: Suave Naturals / Yes to Coconuts
    Squish: Yes to Coconuts or GVPCB.
    LO: Suave Natruals
    Styler: Experimenting- Shea Moisture Smoothie, BRHG, KC, ISO bouncy creme,Ecostyler and PP, Innersense I create Hold, LASLG
    My hair doesn't like Glycerin
  • SereneCurlsSereneCurls Registered Users Posts: 1,145 Curl Neophyte
    Hey. There are some techniques which can reduce volume in thick hair, which I think might be what you're after. Partly the cut is important, but the way you apply stylers can help too. You may want to do a forum search for the super soaker method, ice queen method, and pixy diffusing, if you haven't read much about those yet. In general if you want to reduce volume, apply your products when your hair is as wet as possible, scrunch water out when the product's already in your hair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    3a, dense, fairly coarse, normal porosity and elasticity, just below shoulder
    Low poo: Giovanni 50 50
    Co-wash: aia, suave coconut, salon care
    R O: Tresume Naturals, gvpcb
    L I: KCKT, gvpcb
    Stylers: cjpp, re : coil, kccc, brhg
    Oils: coconut, argan
    Experimenting with: curls rock amplifier, pantene mousse
  • amberlawamberlaw Registered Users Posts: 18 Curl Neophyte
    Thanks for the tips! I did try the squish/rinse method this morning, and my hair was sopping wet when I put product in...I think it is a bit clumpier but I am not seeing a tremendous difference. Pics are from this morning. I have some Suave Naturals conditioner too, I will switch back to that the next couple of times and see if that makes a difference. What do you guys recommend to clarify? How often? My hair is colored also, if that makes a difference. Putting some lowlights in at the end of the month for fall.

2015 1017 (300x400).jpg 2015 1018 (300x400).jpg
    2a/b/c, coarse, high porosity, high density, blonde highlights hiding my salt and pepper, just a lot of dang wavy hair, is what it is.
  • wavybeanwavybean Registered Users Posts: 26
    I love your hair. For me the bigger the better. I just did a deep conditioner and my wavys became more curly.Maybe use should try air drying. Also I love Ouidad Climate Control gel . I also have highlights and also color.
    :angel5:
  • wavybeanwavybean Registered Users Posts: 26
    I love your hair. For me the bigger the better. I just did a deep conditioner and my wavys became more curly.Maybe use should try air drying. Also I love Ouidad Climate Control gel . I also have highlights and also color.
    :angel5:
  • Hannah.ReillHannah.Reill Registered Users Posts: 37
    I also have very thick waves! My curl/wave pattern can look a lot like yours depending on the weather/what products I'm experimenting with. Sometimes they just look like giant S-shaped waves and sometimes they're a little bit tighter/curlier. I definitely think they've gotten curlier over time (I've been CG about a year now), but lately I've found that squishing my hair while I rinse conditioner out of my hair has helped a lot with curl formation. Also applying leave-in or whatever moisturizing product you're using to soaking wet hair, then squishing some more with a t-shirt/microfiber towel. I also can't flip my head upside down while I do any of this. My waves/curls get stringy and frizzy and don't clump right, but tilting my head sideways works just fine for me. Like you I'm not usually looking for more volume...

Definitely try some deep conditioning treatments, I think they've helped me a lot. I also avoided diffusing for a long time, because of the frizz and how long it always took me. But lately I've just sucked it up and diffused (not with my hair upside down, just off to the side again) just so my hair wasn't dripping wet all day. Sometimes this makes my curls more defined than the usual lazy S-shape. I also plop with a Jac-o-net sometimes and use a blow dryer (without diffuser) directly on my net-covered head to get it to dry quicker, and that's given me some nice frizz-free curls.

Lastly, I've found that my waves are always curlier the longer my hair is, even before CG. Before my haircut last week I had the same length as you and my curls were starting to get tighter, but alas I could not handle the weight so I chopped some off and my they are a little looser now.

So I would keep experimenting with different product combos/drying methods if I were you. You have beautiful waves by the way! :)
    2Bish, very thick! CG since 8/2014

Favorites:
    Shampoo: SheaMoisture, Original Moxie
    Cowash: As I Am Cowash
    Conditioner/Leave-in: CJ Smoothing Lotion, Original Moxie Everyday
    Stylers: Curl Junkie Pattern Pusha, Jessicurl Spiralicious, Original Moxie
  • ExpectoPatronumExpectoPatronum Registered Users Posts: 143
    Two things I notice, once is that you didn't mention using anything to clarify which is pretty important to do every once in a while, same with deep treatments. The other thing I notice is that you are using Tresemme Undone and you can search the other threads you will notice that a lot of wavies (me being one of them) have not had any luck with this conditioner. Although it feels great and may work at first it seems to have the ability to pull out our curls/waves. You may want to try changing that up and see if it helps. I am the definition of 80's hair band so I know where you are coming from. Its a constant search for the ultimate routine on here.

I'm one of those wavies! My hair is 2c/3a, but when I used that conditioner I never had any of the 3a bits. My waves were a lot looser than they usually would be too. I'd suggest clarifying and using a different conditioner and seeing if that helps. What you're describing for your hair sounds a lot like mine when I used that conditioner.
    :color: HAIR STATS & ROUTINE :color:
    2c/3a--medium porosity--medium density--medium/coarse
    Cleansers: Shea Moisture Scalp Detox Shampoo, wash ~2x a week
    Conditioners: Cantu Hydrating Cream Conditioner (RO,HG!)
    Stylings: SM Curl and Style Milk (HG), Camille Rose Curl Maker (HG!)
    SOTC: SM Curl and Style Milk
    Oils: Coconut
    Working with waves since April 2015

• MeiMei Registered Users Posts: 259 Curl Neophyte
    Your layers are at cheek/chin level. It's going to look big because that's where the length of your hair is at - And layers that end near the cheeks or jaw line make it look really big.

Weighing your hair down will cause you to lose curl definition as well as volume, but it will solve the volume issue.

2a and 2b type hair sticks close to the scalp and then gets curlier from the ears down. That's the hair type - Not really possible to change it without a perm or curler or straightener. Though as the months and years have passed for me, using the right products, my curls have gotten curlier.

When you say big 80s hair I think lack of moisture. 80s hair was so dry as to create a big fluffy frizzball around the face.

I went back to Devacurl and despite how expensive it is, nothing you could buy at a drug store could compare to it (for me, at least). Tresemme was such a horrible brand for my hair type.

I think your hair looks fine, the clumping is good. I love nice, big clumps because I have VERY dense hair. I even have an undercut to keep some of the bulk out.
    Multicultural (Caucasian/Filipina)
    2b/2c - f - iii - low porosity - normal elasticity
    Holy Grail: Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair
    I rotate through the rest of my products depending on weather and etc but usually don't need them
    I try not to use products tested on animals if I can help it.
    Link: Updated hair picture January 2017
  • EverydayCurlsEverydayCurls Registered Users Posts: 301 Curl Novice
    Are the pictures you posted what you consider to be huge hair? I think your hair looks great that way. I definitely don't consider that to be very voluminous, just "normal". I would think that if you tried to weigh down your hair more it would end up sticking to your scalp.

Current Products:

• Nature's Gate Biotin Shampoo
    • Nature's Gate Biotin Conditioner
    • AG Recoil Curl Activator
    • AG Plastique
      + Plopping Overnight

• amberlawamberlaw Registered Users Posts: 18 Curl Neophyte
    Thanks to all of you for the advice!!

I tried the squish-and-rinse method and that didn't seem to make a remarkable difference. Just last week I went for a trim and had some lowlights put in and my highlights touched up at the scalp, and so far my hair is DRY DRY DRY. I looked at dozens of different DCs at Ulta and finally ended up buying the SheaMoisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Intensive Hydration Masque. I left it on for about half an hour the night before I had my hair colored, but didn't put anything in my hair at all after rinsing it out. My stylist did say my hair had grown A LOT since I was there last (2 inches in 12 weeks) and she said it felt healthier, but since the color job, I have only done one clarifying shampoo and another dose of the Masque, followed by my usual, and my curls on top (where the bleach went) were not cooperative, although underneath, where only darker color was used, my hair is actually curling as opposed to waving, so maybe the solution is to abandon the bleach. (God help me, because I feel so NOT ME when I am not blonde.)

Anyway, I will keep experimenting, but if anyone has a great recommendation for a DC OR for a leave-in conditioner for thick, coarse hair, please to share with me. So far I do not LOVE anything I have tried. :(
  • AmKoAmKo Registered Users Posts: 96 Curl Neophyte
    I have 2c, coarse, low porosity hair. My favorite DC is Curl Junkie's Curl Rehab. I also use it as my leave in conditioner. It leaves my hair much softer! Hope this may help.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file