Finger detangling: friend or foe?

Okay. So.
I tried finger detangling my hair for the second or third time today, and boy, do I have a lot of questions! :happy6:
I followed the advice found here on the forums and on the website, but I have no idea if I did it right. :/
Here's what had happened:
  • First I finger detangled a little on dry hair using olive oil. It took a minute, but the oil really did help.
  • In the shower, I clarified my hair with baking soda for the first time ever to get rid of ages of probable buildup...gross. (I had no idea it was going to be that drying/stripping! Whoa.)
  • Then I rinsed with ACV (This seemed to help a little. And pre-cleansing, using the olive oil definitely helped a lot!)
  • After this, I coated my hair with conditioner and piled it on top of my head so it could work it's magic while I did other shower stuff.
  • Before I hopped out, I finger detangled some more to get the rest of the tangles out. This part was difficult, and I felt like I was using a crap ton of conditioner. Is this normal?
  • I then sealed this with more olive oil, per the advice of someone on CurlTalk (bringingcurliesback? was it you?)
  • Then I applied my gel and plopped for about 10-15 minutes.
I took my hair down to see how it looked, and so far so good. I applied more gel because I felt like my hair needed it. Currently plopping for the second time as I type this, lol. (I feel like I'm a field journalist, giving a minute by minute report!)

The whole finger detangling experience was...harrowing, lol. I feel like it was more difficult than it was supposed to be? I don't know.

How much shedding is normal? And WHAT DO YOU DO WITH ALL THE HAIR THAT COMES OUT IN YOUR HANDS? My shower drain was choking by the end. Where on earth do you put it? It was a messy business.

I wasn't tugging too, too hard on my hair, but I had some stubborn tangles! I had to pull a lot to get some of them to come out. (I may be guilty of ripping a few out of impatience.) Again, maybe people with dyed hair have a harder time with finger detangling?

Is it possible to get all the tangles out by finger detangling? Because I feel like I just couldn't. But I don't want weeks to go by of me finger detangling only to realize I have a huge rats nest in my hair because I wasn't getting enough of the tangles out. :(

And do you wait awhile after applying conditioner to detangle? Or do you just jump in right away?

So many questions...so many tangles...

Sincerely,
Amused but Frustrated

Update: My hair is fully dry now, and it looks BOMBTASTIC. Seriously, so pleased so far!! I think I may have used a little too much conditioner or oil, but for the first go, it turned out so well! I'll see how it looks in the morning after I've slept on it, but I love the way it turned out: minimal frizz (less than usual), super defined curls, not a lot of volume, which I really like.
3b with 2c/3a bits thrown in for fun; 2a underneath and around temple
Medium density, Normal porosity, The Humid South
Present color (full highlights) damage
Lifelong product junkie | HG: Ion Thickening Styler
SL APL BSL MBL WL HL| Hoping to reach MBL by 12/15
Curl crush: Keri Russell, circa Felicity days

Comments

• bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Registered Users Posts: 1,308 Curl Neophyte
    I am so proud of you for giving finger detangling a try, ask away! To be fair, I don't think there really is a "wrong" way but maybe you just had a harder time? First I finger detangled a little on dry hair using olive oil. It took a minute, but the oil really did help.
    [/FONT] I think it's not a bad idea to kind of get your hair situated and get some stuff out (tangles) before going under the water. I just like to put olive oil on as a pre poo but that's not all the time. The ACV and BS sound great and you followed up with conditioner which is awesome too. Some people like to use conditioner and do a final ACV rinse but there is no "right" way because honestly everyone does things a little differently.

I think ACV didn't seem to help a lot because it's something you kind of notice (or atleast I do) helps your hair at the end to kind of lay the cuticles of your hair down and smooth everything. In other words, it's not supposed to be magical in a moisturizing way as much as you might expect. It's still magical to me though because I think it does magical stuff but maybe not the same breed of magical? Sorry if this is confusing, I just have to justify ACV because it's worth it! I think the part where you might have gone wrong was piling it on top of your head. That could cause a lot of tangles honestly but then again I do that from time to time too. Don't be afraid of using a crap ton of conditioner. I would even recommend leaving some in and not washing it out completely. I know that's not everyone's thing but it might be worth a try. You might like it. You can seal your hair with any oil (When I kind of revised your routine in my eyes, I meant that oil product you were using) and I think that was me. Just don't use too much and it might not be necessary all the time. I'm pretty highly porous and in the winter sealing is a must for me-if not all the time lol. So you topped it of with LALSG and plopped. No worries with adding more gel, it might be a good idea to lay down flyways etc. especially if you're somewhere where it's super humid.This is some stellar field journalism, when I'm not using a diffuser I'm a plopaholic.

If your hair is dry it might take it a while before it become moisturized again and things get easier overall (not just detangling). I think what I love about finger detangling is that you can take your time and really feel the tangle and hairs within the tangle that are tangling so it's easier to avoid breaking your hair unnecessarily. I hope that makes sense.

As far as shedding goes, we're supposed to lose anywhere to 100 days in the normal range. I actually have phases where I shed my hair more (our hair has phases) but I notice when I wash my hair less, I'll lose more hair because that shed hair is stuck in your hair from the days after the wash? That's how I see it at least. I kind of just run my hands under the shower or on put the hair on the inside of the shower to get it off so I don' t just put the hair I took out back in my hair lol. Then I'll watch it go down the drain or throw it out. Sorry if that's too much info but you asked lol. It's definitely not the most glamorous thing but this is real talk on Curltalk. :shock:

I think you're right about it possibly being harder for colored hair? You shouldn't feel like you're ripping though. It takes a lot of patience I know, treat your hair like a piece of expensive fabric. You wouldn't ring it out or rip through it you know?

I think it's definitely possible. It's definitely proven to get harder as most hair things do when my hair gets longer (both as I'm finding now and have in the past). I used to have tangling problems with no poo more so and that kind of lead me back to conditioner but things can definitely sort themselves out. Your routine's other aspects could effect tangling too. I just don't want it to all sound too epic lol. It's really not as bad as you think. And the finger detangling police won't come after you if you decide you might need your tools again. This is your hair and your journey. :cya:

And do you wait awhile after applying conditioner to detangle? Or do you just jump in right away?

I wait sometimes and other times I don't wait to detangle. It depends on if I'm cowashing or not too.

So many questions and tangles equals so many answers. :D

I'm glad you're loving how it turned out! Did it take long to dry and did you air dry? I wish you could show up pictures! I can't wait to hear more updates on the field studies. And that's the end of the most recent ridiculously wrong response.
    *Current Routine*
    LP: SM RSB
    CO/CW: CJ Daily Fix, GR Restorative, SM RSB, SM SFC
    DC: SM, CJ Rehab, G.Nutrafix, DIY
    LI: a CO, KCKT
    Sealers: an oil, JC N&S
    Stylers: just CO, CJ CIAB, KCCC, aloe gel, FSG
    Once in a while: ACV, Lemon-Aid

Oils to seal, rinse, and/or pre-poo as needed :love10:

2c/3a/3b coarse, normal porosity
    :toothy4: CG since 2007 :flower:
  • DrRachDrRach Registered Users Posts: 264 Curl Neophyte
    You could maybe give Living Proof Curl detangling rinse a try. On wash day I use a gentle cleanser then apply my conditioner without any detangling. I just smooth and scrunch the conditioner through. Then I rinse and apply the L.P. detangler. The stuff is amazing, super slippy, I can go straight to using my Denman without really bothering using my fingers. Then I just rinse it out and it leaves my hair so silky, ready for some LI. And I lose less hair too. The downside is the price as its expensive, but you only use a small amount and it smells lovely.
    3 b Baby fine, Low density, high porosity, naturally pale blonde. And a UK Curly Girl:thumbleft:
    No/Low Poo: Palmers Olive Oil Cowash
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    DT/PT: CJ Repair Me!, SM Fruit Fusion
    Stylers: LUS Curly 3in1 leave in

• midnightbohomidnightboho Registered Users Posts: 37
    bringingcurliesback?, thanks so much for answering. You're a hair saver! Lol.

I'm a perfectionist, what can I say? I just wanted my hair to turn out well since it was pretty much the first time I was giving this whole thing a try - I got a little caught up in the process. But I was proud of me, too! :D

Hmm, maybe I'll try another ACV rinse before I get out of the shower to seal my cuticle like you said. I really didn't notice that I used it, but I feel like it helped, haha.

I know us curlies have to use a lot of conditioner, I just can't get used to squirting soo much into my hands! Even though I am using a super cheap one (EEHH, which I'm really diggin')...

Yeah, I'm sure any oil would work fine. I think my problem was that I applied too much oil and conditioner to my roots. Next time, I'll probably just apply it mostly to my length only, because my second day hair has been a little on the greasy side. I don't think I can squeeze in a third day this time around. But it's a process!

I've already noticed an insane difference in the dryness of my hair. It doesn't feel damaged anymore - after just one wash, due to the oil + excess conditioner, I'm sure.

I can be very impatient when detangling, but I'll try to go more slowly and take my time for the sake of my hair. I always air dry, and this time I plopped twice like I mentioned. I think plopping definitely cut down on my drying time. I also used fewer products (I used 2 instead of 5-6!), and I think that made a big difference. When I wash my hair again, I think I'll try plopping for even longer to see if I can get an even shorter drying time.

Wish I could show pictures, too! (:
    Thanks so much for all your help!!
  • midnightbohomidnightboho Registered Users Posts: 37
    DrRach, that product sounds great and like something I could definitely use. Thanks for the suggestion! I'm looking it up right now. (:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file