Help with shrinkage and styling please?

Mayjewel97Mayjewel97 Curl NeophytePosts: 80Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I need help on learning how to twist my hair any advice would be helpful so far I've been having difficulty trying to do twist outs because of shrinkage and i have no idea how to deal with it while stretched out my hair can be anywhere from 5 to 6 inches long but shrinks down to 2.5 to three inches any advice on how to combat the shrinkage???

Sent from my C6730 using CurlTalk App

Comments

• lolo918lolo918 Curl Neophyte Posts: 729Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Have you tried doing twist outs on stretched, dry hair, or on damp, stretched hair? With the damp hair or even completely wet hair, it may help to weight the twists down with perm rods or clips to keep them stretched.

Do remember though shrinkage is not necessarily a bad thing as it can show how well the proteins in your hair bind to one another.

Sent from my VS980 4G using CurlTalk App
    3C/4A, fine texture, low-medium density, and low porosity
    CG since November 2013.

Pre-Poo: infrequent now, Coconut Oil overnight
    Shampoo: Curls unleashed/for occasional sulfate wash when needed, everlasting sunshine.
    Conditioner: Suave Naturals Everlasting Sunshine and GVP's conditioning balm.
    Styler: iagirl's flaxseed curl cream or gelatin gel/conditioner mix. <3
    PT: iagirl's gelatin treatment 3-4 times a month, with conditioner/honey/avj
  • Mayjewel97Mayjewel97 Curl Neophyte Posts: 80Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've tried it on damp hair but not completely wet hair yet and dry hair but it just gets really frizzy if i do it dry but even when wet the ends still got frizzy again so i think i may need to trim the ends and around the crown is where i have the most trouble with the style

Yes, needing a trim could be the issue too. Do you make sure to smooth the ends when finishing the twists, even applying a little extra product there and twirling?

I actually just did twists on stretched hair because of this post and also experiencing post partum shedding. I applied minimal product- in this case my flaxseed gel mixture of gel, conditioner, and a tiny amount of la looks sort gel. My hair felt not quite damp after applying product. Here are the results after I exercised (and sweated) in the heat, and slept on them. I'm still working on spacing and even amounts of hair on each side of the twist in the back so it's not as nice as the front. I've been perfecting twists like this forever it feels like.

CG since November 2013.

Shampoo: Curls unleashed/for occasional sulfate wash when needed, everlasting sunshine.
    I do put product on the ends and twirl but once they still come out frizz and the rest of the twist
    comes out a little ok i just haven't found out how to separate the twists in a way that covers my crown completly
    Mayjewel97 wrote: »
    I do put product on the ends and twirl but once they still come out frizz and the rest of the twist
    comes out a little ok i just haven't found out how to separate the twists in a way that covers my crown completly

I can't do too much separating of my twists to try to cover my scalp either. It sucks. To not have it showing I end up sacrificing definition of my twists so it still ends up looking frizzy-ish. That is unless I untwist and just let sleeping on them do the work.

What product are you using? You may need something with more hold, like a butter or a gel depending on your hair properties. In all honesty I didn't really like my twists until my stretched hair got past shoulder length. I have fine texture, 3c/4a curls, lower density, and low porosity.

CG since November 2013.

I have a mix of fine hair in the nape of my neck and normal with 3c curls but i think i may have some 4 in there i usually use eco styler gel in my hair when i twist and coconut and shea butter co-wash but during the week I'll use argan or buruti and passion flower oil on my hair after i use an olive oil moisturizer and i think it might have to grow before i like it too but in the mean time I'll just use the time to figure out how to twist it better and how much hair to use in each twist

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file