Thinning hair due to heat damage

curlygirly06curlygirly06 Posts: 3Registered Users
My hair began thinning years ago because of heat styling too often.. it makes me so sad because I remember my hair used to be so much thicker than this!! :pale: My hair has no issue growing but I don't know how to return it back to be thick and healthy, like it used to be.

I'm getting individuals installed in a few days. I was wondering if anyone has any tips to thicken hair that has thinned out due to heat damage?? I heard JBCO works well but I have yet to use it myself.

Please help!! I miss my thick hair :sad5:

Comments

• curlygirly06curlygirly06 Posts: 3Registered Users
    by the way, my hair isn't so damaged that i have lost my natural curl pattern. but it has thinned out and tends to break pretty easily if if i manipulate it over a long period of time (i.e. when my hair is straightened and needs to be brushed/styled every day)

when i was a child my hair was primarily kept in braids or worn natural and when it was straightened with heat for the first time, it was so long and thick! Around that time i only applied heat to my hair a max of 1-2 times a month, sometimes not at all, and it was always done by a professional.

When I got to middle school, I began trying to flat iron my hair on my own. I didn't know what I was doing so I would make a lot of passes on my hair, I flat ironed nearly everyday, and I even flat ironed when my hair had a lot of buildup and needed to be washed. My hair started thinning around this time, breaking off, and my scalp was super dry, so I had really bad dandruff too. I wouldn't retain any length.

Now, my hair will retain length. It doesn't break off as easily and even though I still have dandruff its not nearly as bad as it used to be. I stopped heat styling my hair so often (back to 2x a month). Its gotten so much better. But it hasn't thickened.

I haven't tried anything to try to make it return back to its previous health though. I'm going to go back to braids again to see if it helps but I was also wondering if anyone had other recommendations!

Also I think my hair is 3C if that plays a role too
  • ReservechicReservechic Posts: 798Registered Users
    My hair began thinning years ago because of heat styling too often.. it makes me so sad because I remember my hair used to be so much thicker than this!! :pale: My hair has no issue growing but I don't know how to return it back to be thick and healthy, like it used to be.

I'm getting individuals installed in a few days. I was wondering if anyone has any tips to thicken hair that has thinned out due to heat damage?? I heard JBCO works well but I have yet to use it myself.

Please help!! I miss my thick hair :sad5:

Now, i don't know how long your hair has been in a damaged state, but after you had noticed just how damaged your hair had become, making an appointment with a hairstylist to have such damaged areas of hair snipped off would have allowed for you to help gain a fresh new start to your hair, at that time. Because holding on to hair that's damaged, and is not progressing well, is never a good idea. I would not recommend having installs put in your hair, until the damage that has occurred to your hair has been properly taken cared of by a professional stylist first. Because having installs put in is not something that's directly designed to aid in helping remedy your hairs' current situation.

Now, a good hair stylist will work to keep their client's hair in a healthy state, or if a client comes in and their hair is in non-healthy, damaged state in any way, then the hair stylist should know exactly what is needed to help remedy such. Because i can't physically, see the current state in which your hair is in, i wouldn't simply recommend using JBCO or any other oil as a remedy. Instead, i would recommend having a hairstylist, cut off any and all damaged areas of hair that is physically visible on your head, along with your seeking to establish a healthy haircare regimen at-home that will work best for your specific individual hair and scalp needs. Because even without using heat on ones hair, ones hair can still end up up becoming damaged, due to a variety of reasons, which does include, improper management of ones hair, not having a healthy haircare regimen in place, overmanipulation of ones hair, putting ones hair in styles that put alot of tension on ones hair and scalp, etc.
    Diagnosed with Scalp Eczema 6/2015
    (Don't hair type/loose curl pattern/fine texture/low density/high porosity

Current Regimen (Ayurvedic Based):
    Cleansers- Bobeam Shampoo Bars
    Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I only wear my hair in wash n gos or buns. Also,
    I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file