My hair is taking forever to grow.

midnightbohomidnightboho Posts: 37Registered Users
So.
I have 3b hair, and a lot of it, and I think it's normal to high porosity from a lot of bleaching and at-home dye jobs.
In the last year, I've had two sets of full highlights done which extremely damaged my hair. Seriously, it was fried.

Within the last 3 1/2 months, I've trimmed about 5 inches off my hair. It's weird though, because even though I cut so much, my hair looks about the same length as it did before I cut it. Yikes. :shock:

I'm laying off the highlights for good and trying to transition back to my natural hair color all over (which is a very dark, ashy brown). I haven't straightened my hair in over a year, and I always air-dry - never diffuse. I've recently run into a problem, however. Even though my hair is slightly healthier than it was a few months ago, it's become harder and harder to get my TangleTeezer through it. Detangling is a nightmare! I don't understand why it's gotten harder to brush through my hair and not easier...

I only wash my hair about twice a week, and each time I wash, I do a deep conditioning treatment because I feel like my hair needs it; it's still super dry! I've also done a couple of protein treatments here and there with a variety of oils (coconut mainly). My hair also has a tendency to want to be really frizzy if I don't add enough product - it needs a lot. It responds best to gel, but it leaves my hair crunchy (and probably dries it out more...). Every cream I've ever tried has been too heavy. And mouses work well, but I always need something else, too.

My hair is currently almost to BSL, and I would love to get it to MBL or WL by the end of this year. I feel like I'm babying it a lot, but it REFUSES to grow! I'm so desperate for longer hair, but I don't want it to take forever to get there either.

What am I doing wrong? Or, am I just being ridiculously impatient?
3b with 2c/3a bits thrown in for fun; 2a underneath and around temple
Medium density, Normal porosity, The Humid South
Present color (full highlights) damage
Lifelong product junkie | HG: Ion Thickening Styler
SL APL BSL MBL WL HL| Hoping to reach MBL by 12/15
Curl crush: Keri Russell, circa Felicity days

Comments

• bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Posts: 1,308Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I promised myself I wouldn't go on Curltalk because I need to make myself sleep but I must reply to this in lots of detail! My phone is about to die and I'm not near a laptop. -__-

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using CurlTalk App
    *Current Routine*
    LP: SM RSB
    CO/CW: CJ Daily Fix, GR Restorative, SM RSB, SM SFC
    DC: SM, CJ Rehab, G.Nutrafix, DIY
    LI: a CO, KCKT
    Sealers: an oil, JC N&S
    Stylers: just CO, CJ CIAB, KCCC, aloe gel, FSG
    Once in a while: ACV, Lemon-Aid

Oils to seal, rinse, and/or pre-poo as needed :love10:

2c/3a/3b coarse, normal porosity
    :toothy4: CG since 2007 :flower:
  • dollydaggerdollydagger Posts: 36Registered Users
    Hi there ...I hear ya with the growing frustrations. But on the brightside if youve chopped off like 5" in the past 3 or so months and your hair appears to be the same length it was sounds like your hairs growing great! Youve broken even if not better.
    As far as feeling dry and crunchy are you sure your deep conditioners dont have too much protein? maybe try one thats got less protein and is more moisturizing. With oil treatments it seems some peoples hair doesnt do so well with coconut oil only so maybe you could try a blend.. like half olive half coconut instead.

I too am stuck between APL AND BSL ..lol .. its like an eternal abyss. But ya we gotta keep patient.. treat our hair gently ( like u say..lay off processing/ high heat and all that other torturous stuff) and keep in mind that with curly hair the length isnt going to show as readily.
    Also if you dont have split and damaged ends id lay off the trimming too. Hows it going to gain length if your constantly cutting it.
    I used to fall into this trap too when i went to the hair dresser id complain that the ends felt dry and she'd be like.."lets take of an inch or 2...but really dryness doesnt neccessarily equal damage
    and the need to chop off. Maybe just a good balance of moisture/protein treatments and the ends will be in better shape. I havent been to the hair dresser for a over a year. I do self trimming - look for split ends and trim them off like a 1/4 inch. I barely have any splits these days. Happy growing and curling too :)
    ETA: just thought of something..make sure your gel doesnt have alcohol or other drying ingredients. The much-touted herbal essense totally twisted leaves my hair dry and dull and horrible. Whereas KCCC is the complete opposite. Soft shiney bouncy light feeling curls.
    2 b/c Botticelli
    Fine-ish strands with fine-medium density and high porosity
    Co wash- like to change it up-currently rotating a few shea moisture ones (restorative, thickening, and noni) as well as giovannis tripple treat and smooth as silk.
    Favourite stylers- kinky curly curling custard, curl keeper
    Favourite deep conditioning mask- Shea mositure Yucca strengthening FTW! .. this ones great for noticeably improving elasticity
  • midnightbohomidnightboho Posts: 37Registered Users
    To bringingcurliesback?: Please do!! I neeeed your knowledge. Lol.
    To dollydagger: Thanks for the reply. :)
    Yeah, I think my hair was just so fried on the ends (it was barely curly, stringy) that it didn't actually contribute much to my overall length - ha!

Tbh, I don't even look at the ingredients on my deep conditioners. If it says "deep conditioning treatment/mask" you better believe I'll be slapping that on my head. I know I should be checking to see if I've been applying too much protein. A lot of times, I just use random deep conditioning masks from Sally's; you know the ones? Like those 99 cent Mystic Divine packets? Anything I can get my hands on really...

Should have clarified with the oil treatments. I always use coconut oil, but in addition to several other oils, too. Last time I used coconut, EVOO, jojoba, amla, and tea tree.

Yes! An eternal abyss. Haha perfect. I swear, I feel like this is the hardest length to get past. I've stopped trimming now because I think I've gotten a lot of the grossness chopped off. But since my hair has become so difficult to detangle, I feel like I'm ripping through my hair now and causing split ends. :(

I use LA Looks gel in the strongest hold or second to strongest hold. I'm sure it's very drying, but it's sort of my "go-to" gel - I've been through three bottles of the stuff over the last 2 1/2 years, and those bottles are ginormous. I've heard great things about KCCC, so I can't wait to get my hands on it! I've tried KCKT and really enjoyed it, so I'd definitely be willing to give up LAL gel for something better, albeit more expensive (LAL is like 2 bucks!!).
  • FmasuhrFmasuhr Posts: 1,354Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hallo, i thought i might tell yours how i detangle, I do it twice with my fingers, i dont use a comb or a type of brush i just use my fingers. first when my hair is well after poo and with the conditioner, im really careful, then after i put my leave in and hair butter mixture through and then i get the last few knots.
    I would give it ago, dont forget to start from the bottem and work your way up! :wave:

my hair: 3b, high porosity, high density and coarse hair (i think i finally figured that all out)
    my hair loves conditioner only styling!
    Oils and my own procuts are my hairs best friend
    my hair goal length is bra strap length when curly.
    :hello1:
    Fmasuhr: I can't get my fingers through my hair after I shampoo, so finger detangling is a no-go.
    Even saturated with 2-3 different conditioners, I can't get my fingers more than an inch or two down my scalp before I run into huge tangles.

I don't use an extremely drying shampoo, and I never pile my hair on top of my head when washing. I shampoo my scalp and let the shampoo run through the rest of my hair when I rinse it out.

I think it's due to all of the processing with bleach and color. I'm not sure if finger detangling is an option when you have dyed hair!
  • bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Posts: 1,308Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    @midnightboho I have a laptop and am in a position to right you a wonderfully long and detailed message. I would like to begin by saying you have the cutest username ever and also that I'm sorry for taking so long to reply but here I am. First of all, hello there and welcome to NC. You've come to the right place. I too think Keri Russell hair is dream hair.

Can you please tell me what kind of products you use and how you do your hair? The more detailed the better.

As far as gel goes (which I saw you mentioned), I know some folks who swear by the cheaper stuff and have been using thinks like Suave and V05 with LALSG (LA Looks Sport Gel) for years. I used KCCC and have used LALSG in the past but I'm not going to anymore (vegan reasons). I love KCCC but it does take forever to dry sometimes, also since my hair is getting longer and heavier (I'm growing it out with not so many layers) it kind of makes things on the flatter side if I'm not conscious of how I dry my hair. I love KCCC though and I agree that KCKT should help with the tangles. I own a tangle teezer that I gave to my sister because she rips through her hair and I think it kind of helps. Anyway, I'm a finger detangling person that can't remember the last time I've brushed or combed my hair (it's definitely been years lol). I would reccomend that you only comb or brush your hair when it's wet in the shower and saturated with conditioner. Start from the bottom and work your way to the top.

I've been in the eternal abyss of APL and BSL just like you and dollydagger (Hey girl and welcome as well if you're reading this lol). I actually just kind of got past APL and am touching BSL-keep in mind things like that shrinkage factor. I know it's frustrating and the awkward middle stage is in fact awkward and in the middle but idk I'm weird in the sense that I enjoy the journey and have toyed with the idea of cutting my hair again but I think I might just go ahead and keep going again because I kind of miss having long hair (I'm pretty indecisive in general lol).

I actually cut my hair by myself as well and really do think you can do it. I've had approximately four deva cuts, had my hair cut by normal stylists both wet and dry, I've had them straighten it or just cut my hair straight and I've also gone through having it brushed out- overall, I've had numerous cases of hairstylist trauma as well. I think cutting your hair curly is definitely doable and just because it's a deva stylist or whatever does not mean it's going to be the way YOU want it. Every stylist is different, everyone's hair is different etc. I will say though that cutting your own hair is nothing to fear and you are capable of more than you might think. Anyway, if you want to know more about that we can definitely talk about it in the future. I wish I could be a mobile stylist and just go to all of the people on NC and be like ladies let me cut your hair and help you even though I don't have a license lol. :toothy10:

Going back to the topic again somewhat, I second that dry hair does not necessarily mean damage but then again my hair is naturally on the coarser side. After a while, you will just know and have a pretty good sense of what's up with your hair and what you need to cut etc.

When it comes to your routine as you explained of deep conditioning and washing your hair only twice a week, I would like to ask if you're CG? I think that would be worth a try for sure. Also, I've been known to usually only wash my hair once a week but I'm thinking of going more often lately just because of the fact that I have some products to use up and I think with the summer heat my hair could really use the extra moisture of being conditioned more frequently. I'm proud of you for cutting as much of your damage off as you have and not worrying about length. I personally like the way healthy hair looks as opposed to long unhealthy hair.

As far as styling goes, using gel is err... different. Your gel is supposed to create an awesome gel cast where it kind looks wet when it dries still and yes crunchy but then when you scrunch out the crunch and release the gel cast there will little to no crunch depending on what you're using and how you're using it kind of thing. Yes, alcohol free gels are better but if you're using a gel that you feel is more drying it might be a good idea to use a really good leave in conditioner underneath. That way not only are you moisturizing your hair but you're also kind of protecting it from you gel/styling product. I also wanted to talk to you about protein sensitivity or hair being overloaded with protein because that could be making it too dry as well. I'm sorry I'm bombarding you with so much info but I would really like to help. I hope this makes sense but if I sound crazy or I'm a little confusing, feel free to ask me for help. Well there's your essay lol. :read2:
    *Current Routine*

• dollydaggerdollydagger Posts: 36Registered Users
    @midnightboho I have a laptop and am in a position to right you a wonderfully long and detailed message. I would like to begin by saying you have the cutest username ever and also that I'm sorry for taking so long to reply but here I am. First of all, hello there and welcome to NC. You've come to the right place. I too think Keri Russell hair is dream hair.

Can you please tell me what kind of products you use and how you do your hair? The more detailed the better.

As far as gel goes (which I saw you mentioned), I know some folks who swear by the cheaper stuff and have been using thinks like Suave and V05 with LALSG (LA Looks Sport Gel) for years. I used KCCC and have used LALSG in the past but I'm not going to anymore (vegan reasons). I love KCCC but it does take forever to dry sometimes, also since my hair is getting longer and heavier (I'm growing it out with not so many layers) it kind of makes things on the flatter side if I'm not conscious of how I dry my hair. I love KCCC though and I agree that KCKT should help with the tangles. I own a tangle teezer that I gave to my sister because she rips through her hair and I think it kind of helps. Anyway, I'm a finger detangling person that can't remember the last time I've brushed or combed my hair (it's definitely been years lol). I would reccomend that you only comb or brush your hair when it's wet in the shower and saturated with conditioner. Start from the bottom and work your way to the top.

I've been in the eternal abyss of APL and BSL just like you and dollydagger (Hey girl and welcome as well if you're reading this lol). I actually just kind of got past APL and am touching BSL-keep in mind things like that shrinkage factor. I know it's frustrating and the awkward middle stage is in fact awkward and in the middle but idk I'm weird in the sense that I enjoy the journey and have toyed with the idea of cutting my hair again but I think I might just go ahead and keep going again because I kind of miss having long hair (I'm pretty indecisive in general lol).

I actually cut my hair by myself as well and really do think you can do it. I've had approximately four deva cuts, had my hair cut by normal stylists both wet and dry, I've had them straighten it or just cut my hair straight and I've also gone through having it brushed out- overall, I've had numerous cases of hairstylist trauma as well. I think cutting your hair curly is definitely doable and just because it's a deva stylist or whatever does not mean it's going to be the way YOU want it. Every stylist is different, everyone's hair is different etc. I will say though that cutting your own hair is nothing to fear and you are capable of more than you might think. Anyway, if you want to know more about that we can definitely talk about it in the future. I wish I could be a mobile stylist and just go to all of the people on NC and be like ladies let me cut your hair and help you even though I don't have a license lol. :toothy10:

Going back to the topic again somewhat, I second that dry hair does not necessarily mean damage but then again my hair is naturally on the coarser side. After a while, you will just know and have a pretty good sense of what's up with your hair and what you need to cut etc.

When it comes to your routine as you explained of deep conditioning and washing your hair only twice a week, I would like to ask if you're CG? I think that would be worth a try for sure. Also, I've been known to usually only wash my hair once a week but I'm thinking of going more often lately just because of the fact that I have some products to use up and I think with the summer heat my hair could really use the extra moisture of being conditioned more frequently. I'm proud of you for cutting as much of your damage off as you have and not worrying about length. I personally like the way healthy hair looks as opposed to long unhealthy hair.

As far as styling goes, using gel is err... different. Your gel is supposed to create an awesome gel cast where it kind looks wet when it dries still and yes crunchy but then when you scrunch out the crunch and release the gel cast there will little to no crunch depending on what you're using and how you're using it kind of thing. Yes, alcohol free gels are better but if you're using a gel that you feel is more drying it might be a good idea to use a really good leave in conditioner underneath. That way not only are you moisturizing your hair but you're also kind of protecting it from you gel/styling product. I also wanted to talk to you about protein sensitivity or hair being overloaded with protein because that could be making it too dry as well. I'm sorry I'm bombarding you with so much info but I would really like to help. I hope this makes sense but if I sound crazy or I'm a little confusing, feel free to ask me for help. Well there's your essay lol. :read2:
    Hey Bringincurlyback... :wave:i did read and i enjoyed immensely..you cracked me up! Not to mention some excellent advice imparted up in this thread. You should change your question mark to an exclamation mark no?! .. an emphatic BRINGINGCURLIESBACK! u could even throw in an expletive at the end.. i wont mind :)
    I would totally let you cut my hair (or trim i should say.. by judiciously selecting wayward curls and get them back in line with their curl families )
    I agree with you about kccc kinda taking away from volume but when i skip the curl keeper it seems to allow the mop to grow wider although at the expense of losing a little definition. WHY CANT THEY JUST BE PERFECTLY DEFINED AND VOLUMINOUS AND SHINY AND BOUNCY AND EVERLASTING.. is that asking too much..heheh
    I just got a diffuser and new blow dryer for my bday so ive been able to get a bit extra volume happening.
    Anyways pleasure reading ya.. see ya around!
    2 b/c Botticelli
    Fine-ish strands with fine-medium density and high porosity
    Co wash- like to change it up-currently rotating a few shea moisture ones (restorative, thickening, and noni) as well as giovannis tripple treat and smooth as silk.
    Favourite stylers- kinky curly curling custard, curl keeper
    Favourite deep conditioning mask- Shea mositure Yucca strengthening FTW! .. this ones great for noticeably improving elasticity
    To bringingcurliesback?: Thank you sooo much for the long reply and all the information!! It was really helpful and I appreciate it.(:
    AwW, thanks for the warm welcome! I like my username, too - totally random, but it fits me, haha. And yeah, Keri Russell's hair is a DREAM.

Okay, here's my long-winded routine:

• Shampoo with L'Oreal Advanced Haircare Total Repair 5 Restoring Shampoo
    • Condition with Herbal Essences Hello Hydration
    • Also deep condition with Ion Extreme Moisture Creme (I think that's the name) // or Mystic Divine deep conditioning treatment
    • Rinse out about 1/2 to 2/3 of conditioner in a cool water rinse
    • Hop out of the shower and ring my hair out (I don't ever use a towel to dry my hair.)
    • Spray in some It's a 10 Miracle Leave-In Product on all of my problem areas (the areas that are the most difficult to comb through)
    • Brush my hair with my TangleTeazer (nightmare!)
    • Squeeze out any more excess water at this point
    • Scrunch in TRESemme Climate Control Mousse (a huge dollop)
    • Scrunch in Ion Thickening Styler (3 pumps)
    • Scrunch in Garnier Fructis Marvelous Oil Deep Nourish 5-Action Hair Elixir (a sizable amount)
    • Scrunch in LA Looks Sports Gel, Mega X-Treme Hold (quarter size amount) I would like to start using KCCC in place of this, but I have a huge amount left of LALSG - they come in freakin' huge bottles!
    Aaaand, then I'm done. Lol. And completely exhausted.

Like I mentioned above, I only comb out my hair when it has some conditioner in it, and it's still wet. Not ideal, but hey ho.

I also have been cutting my own hair for about 2 years now. My mother and grandmother have cut their own hair for ages, so I thought it must be in the genes and that I'd give it a go! Since I'm still growing out damage and color, my hair's uneven right now, but I love trimming my own hair. I know exactly how I want it to look, and if I cut too much off, I only have myself to blame. ;)

I'm not currently CG, no. I tried that about a year and a half ago, and really disliked it, but I think I was just using products I didn't like. I'm eager to give it another go, but first I have a lot of other products I'd really like to use up and not waste.

I've been trying to acclimate my hair to being washed less, and I'm excited that I've gotten it down to only twice a week. But I'm wondering if I might have to step up my wash game because by day three or four, my hair is superrr tangled and matted underneath which I feel like is worse in the long run? Ugh, it's discouraging...

Yeah, no idea if my hair is overloaded with protein; I'm thinking about clarifying my hair with a natural bar soap to remove any buildup I probably have, and then using more conditioner before I go in with the gel step. I've also heard that mousse can be really drying as well?

I also sleep on a satin pillow case!! There! That's all I've got. Lol.
    @dollydagger Hey hey girl! :wave: I'm glad you had a laugh haha it's funny because I've been told I write a lot like how I talk. If I ever make that YouTube channel I'll have to make a blog or something. That or we can just chat, I'm so glad so many lovely people are joining the boards! I should change it but it's impossible. I made this account a long time ago and back then my hair was heat damaged so I was really confused if I'd even be able to bring them back at the time. Oh well at least it's not something worse lol. I wish I could change it but we can make it a secret exclamation that only we know about. :glasses7:
    Yes, I'm definitely a trimmer. I think less is more when it comes to our hair and it honestly seems like a lot of people are trying to grow out anyways. We really just need a little refreshing, I'm honored that you'd let me. I wish I could clone myself to cut my own hair because it's hard to really see it as a whole. We would definitely help those curls solve their differences and get them to hug one another again. You should try cocktailing that KCCC and Curl Keeper to make a concoction or something. Maybe it will help give you the results you're looking for? I love diffusing it's a game changer for sure when it comes to volume. It's definitely too much sometimes but I kind of like frizz. This is my jam: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3E7kmevnyg I'm so honored and happy that you enjoyed reading my post! Please, stick around! I think we'll make great friends. *virtual hug

@midnightbohemian I think it's so cutely organized in a bulleted list haha. I think you should try brushing your hair with the tangle teezer before washing out your conditioner 1/3 to 2/3's out in the cool water. Apply your oil after your leave in conditioner to seal in the goodness of your leave in. Use whatever you want to use to style your hair afterwards. Applying products to sopping wet hair does not work for everyone but it does for me personally. Mousse can be drying yes if it has alcohol. That's why some people find things like mousse and gel can sometimes make their hair appear to dry faster (because of the alcohol in products). I think you do use a lot of product so it might be hard to figure out what your hair likes and doesn't. I like to do less to my hair but I just recently did my definition of a lot to my hair so I'm being a hypocrite this once lol. :toothy5: Satin Pillow cases are awesome! When it comes to clarifying, you soap bar might leave buildup in your hair. You just want to really get rid of all of the gunk from your products and if you're using silicones (since you're not CG) you're going to really want to remove silicone build up from your hair pretty periodically so your products continue to do their job properly. Hello Hydration is supposed to have awesome slip so tangles shouldn't be as much of an issue as they are. I think if you use your products on their own and see how they work individually you'll be able to figure out what works for your hair and what doesn't etc. It's just a thought. Let me know what you think! You're right that CG does not work for everyone and I know some folks who thrive on modified CG. I will say though that your hair really needs moisture it seems like and when you're using a lot of stuff with silicone (and just in general) it can be hard to have that moisture really get inside your hair and moisturize your hair from the inside when it's getting coated/sealed on the outside. I hope that kind of makes sense. :neutral:
    *Current Routine*

Thank you sooo much...again!!

Haha, I like to be organized. ;)

I'm going to try out, like, everything you just suggested, lol.
    Applying my oil before my other styling products makes sense - I would really like to cut down on the amount of products I use. I know it's excessive. I'm going to try using each one individually (or at the most, 2 at a time) like you recommended just so I can begin learning what works for my hair and what doesn't.

I didn't even think about my soap bar leaving buildup! Poop. :( You're probably right though. I just thought, "Soap bar with natural ingredients = drying/clarifying, right??" Haha, not so much...

My main goal right now will be to cleanse my hair of 'cones + buildup on a regular basis. Would an ACV rinse do the trick? Or washing with baking soda? Or both? And that should clean out my pores/hair follicles to promote growth, yeah? Is that how that works? Lol.

I'm excited to get to work and change my hair care routine for the better! Hopefully I'll start to see more growth. I definitely agree with the less is more approach. But when your hair isn't cooperating, it's easy to get carried away and start using anything and everything in your house - from body lotion to bacon grease, lol - to try to get it to behave. :sad1:
    Thank you sooo much...again!!

Haha, I like to be organized. ;)

I'm going to try out, like, everything you just suggested, lol.
    Applying my oil before my other styling products makes sense - I would really like to cut down on the amount of products I use. I know it's excessive. I'm going to try using each one individually (or at the most, 2 at a time) like you recommended just so I can begin learning what works for my hair and what doesn't.

I didn't even think about my soap bar leaving buildup! Poop. :( You're probably right though. I just thought, "Soap bar with natural ingredients = drying/clarifying, right??" Haha, not so much...

My main goal right now will be to cleanse my hair of 'cones + buildup on a regular basis. Would an ACV rinse do the trick? Or washing with baking soda? Or both? And that should clean out my pores/hair follicles to promote growth, yeah? Is that how that works? Lol.

I'm excited to get to work and change my hair care routine for the better! Hopefully I'll start to see more growth. I definitely agree with the less is more approach. But when your hair isn't cooperating, it's easy to get carried away and start using anything and everything in your house - from body lotion to bacon grease, lol - to try to get it to behave. :sad1:

i was thinking that you use alot of different products lol i dont use any, maybe that y i can get my fingers so easily through my hair. i hope that you do find somthing that works for you. ACV is great, it might be the answer your looking for. It helps with the hard water and does kind of seal your hair and help with the ph, esspecally when you use so many products. You could give it ago with baking soda, though i cant give you any personal advice about it cause i just do the acv.
    I make a nice herb tea like mixture then i strain it and put a splash of vinegar in, when its cold of cause. then after im done with my shower i just tip it over my hair slowly and message it into my scalp. If smells bother you, you could wait a bit and do a final rinse with cold water, though the smell goes away when its dried.
    Im a massive oil fan, so i always say to give a bit ago, also helps with detangling and dryness/fizz :flower:

my hair: 3b, high porosity, high density and coarse hair (i think i finally figured that all out)
    To Fmasuhr: Haha, yeah soo many products. :shock:

I will definitely try the ACV rinse, thanks for the tips!
    If something works, the smell isn't too big of an issue for me, especially if it mostly goes away once my hair has dried.

I'm a huge oil fan, too! I use it in my hair and on my face as a face wash - works wonders! :love7:
    Maybe I'll use some to help detangle.
    @midnightboho Fmahsur is most definitely on point. I've never done a tea rinse in ages but might want to get back into that just for fun. I just wanted to say that acv's smell completely goes away once you're hair is dry (atleast that's been the case with me). I was also going to say if getting a cup and pouring it over your head isn't ideal, spray bottle can be a really awesome tool to really get it everywhere too. :pl:

You can try adding some baking soda to your shampoo too. I remember a hairstylist mentioning that but I don' t have firsthand experience with that. I would say diliute about a tablespoon of bs in a container and some acv in a container, fill the rest up with water (like 8 oz) and give them both a good shake. Use the bs as your "shampoo" solution and the "acv" as conditioner. That's the basic recipe for no poo (I went a year without washing my hair with conventional shampoo/products and that was all I did except I eventually went extra hippie to the point where I went to acv and then eventually just water). I had hard water so I kind of had to stop but I think it's an awesome way to take care of your hair if it works. Yeah, shampoo bars can leave residue especially if you don't have a soft water or use a softner. Anyway, I feel you on wanting to do just anything to get your hair just right. It's easy to do more harm than good by going too hardcore with a zillion things. Keep us posted girl. ;)
    *Current Routine*

To Fmasuhr: Haha, yeah soo many products. :shock:

I will definitely try the ACV rinse, thanks for the tips!
    If something works, the smell isn't too big of an issue for me, especially if it mostly goes away once my hair has dried.

I'm a huge oil fan, too! I use it in my hair and on my face as a face wash - works wonders! :love7:
    Maybe I'll use some to help detangle.

oils are my best friend in the beuty department :laughing8: the trick with your hair is knowing how much oil, what sort and when you can use them; thats somthing you gotta figure out yourself. my hair seems to soak the stuff up like nothing else. Helps not only with detangling also with fizz and shine :) what kinda oils do you have/use?

with the baking soda, lots of curlies use it, though personaly i dont and wouldnt want to, its good to help with ph and that of your hair, and when you use alot of products, though cause i only use 2 drops of gel and conditioner i dont need it. :toothy8:

• ManesNaturalsManesNaturals Posts: 17Registered Users
    The three P's are:
    Patience
    Perseverance
    Protective Styling
    Full bra strap length, flirting with mid back length
    Chronic Protective Styler. Anti Knots Warrior. 5 years being natural, so have become quite the kitchen alchemist.
    Check out my website:
    manesnaturals.bigcartel.com
    Follow me on instagram:
    instagram.com/manesnaturals

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file