Do you clothes do double duty?

spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
About what percentage of your wardrobe is used for multiple purposes? e.,g., work and after hours, church and work, errands and gym, gym and bed

Do you tend to buy clothes for a specific purpose or do you buy clothes with many uses in mind? Do you have a "uniform" that you wear for mostly everything?

Comments

• CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 10,904 Curl Connoisseur
    Work/social is pretty close/interchangeable depending on what I'm doing.

I don't really buy pajamas. It's usually old yoga pants/t shirts that aren't as wearable (loss of stretch) that I wear to bed.

Only thing really bought for a sole purpose is jogging pants (only lounge around the house in them) and formal wear.
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    Work/social is pretty close/interchangeable depending on what I'm doing.

I don't really buy pajamas. It's usually old yoga pants/t shirts that aren't as wearable (loss of stretch) that I wear to bed.

Only thing really bought for a sole purpose is jogging pants (only lounge around the house in them) and formal wear.

By formal wear, do you mean cocktail dresses and evening gowns? Do you have a lot of them? (How fun, if you do!!)

• CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 10,904 Curl Connoisseur
    Yes & a fair amount.

I need some new friends, I always need them with the same group, or family, so always need a new one lol
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    Not really, in my case. My work clothes always had to be conservative so I have different clothes for fun/social. Sometimes when I am having trouble finding what I want in clothes or jewelry I realize it's because I'm trying to make it do double duty.

The exception is that whenever possible I dress in colors I like. Can't always do that for work, but I really regret it every time I have bought something for work that is in a boring/unflattering color.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • butter52butter52 Registered Users Posts: 292
    I have my "work clothes" wich is mostly a business apropiate capsule.
    My "out of work clothes" which is mostly jeans dresses and sweaters.
    And then "comfy stuff" for pjs, lounging and sport stuff.

So I guess only my comfy stuff is double or triple duty.
  • StarmieStarmie Registered Users Posts: 7,169 Curl Virtuoso
    I have a 'uniform' of jeans, t-shirts and cardigans and will wear them whenever I can get away with it. I tend to have decent stuff for shopping/day-to-day, and better stuff for going out, but they're all much of a muchness! I rarely go anywhere formal and have very few smart/formal type clothes. I have trackies and sweatshirts that I sit around in, walk the dog etc and wear pj's to bed. I have an actual uniform for work so that's not something I even have to think about. I don't really have double-duty clothes now I think about it.
    3b in South Australia.
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Registered Users Posts: 15,490 Curl Neophyte
    I have no idea what just happened to my post. I hit reply and it vanished.

A lot of my cloths act as dbl duty. I mainly wear jeans on my day shifts and work and jeans when I do several different things on my days off. Lots of tee's, cardigans, pull overs. All double duty. We have work shirts but they are tragic, we need new ones, I rarely wear mine and they can get over it, thought they were going to phases them out (promised they were) but out manager wants us to get more. I hate them but at least we can get different colors now, if they ever bother ordering them.

Night shifts I wear comfortable/sport/lounge clothes and I'm usually wearing those or PJ's when I am home. I love PJ/comfortable cloths. Even dressy ones. Slip dresses, linen pants, silk tanks, comfortable dresses, etc. I have an insane amount of PJ's, too Even when I wear lounge clothes to work I still feel the need to change after 12 hours of being in them.

I have far too many dress clothes and hardly anywhere to wear them. I still end up buying more blouses, blazers, suits, skirts, nice sweaters, dresses, silk/faux fur/ beaded velvet capes & shawls. Gloves, hats, various (& unusual) leather, suede, and fabric jackets. Dress costs.... I love clothes. Especially fall fashion. I'm excited when I get to break out the nice stuff. Or even when I say screw it and wear it (which I do not do as much as I used to. usually too tired to care but traditionally I don't need a reason).

ETA: I am excited about the runway trends this year. I'll be breaking out my brown and turquoise silk cape shirt with silver beading around the neck & off shoulder soon. I've had it for 7-8 years. My Banana Rebublic gray poncho sweater I've had for 10. Black velvet cape with a hood and muted purple, gray & blue print all over it. My floppy hats and all my tall boots. :) I crying over an old coat right now. It would be perfection. Straight from the early 70s. Found it an old thrift store in my 20s. Long, slightly fitted around the waist but flared out (nicely tailored) closed with 4 buckles in the front and plaid. I have no idea what happened to it. I think my mom threw it out when I moved out of her house one summer.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • scrillsscrills Registered Users Posts: 6,700
    We wear jeans in the office half of the week so most of my clothes are double duty
  • JosephineJosephine Registered Users Posts: 14,408 Curl Connoisseur
    Most of my pants are since we can wear jeans/casual to work. Sometimes I will wear my casual tops to work but most of the time I pull from my work tops stash. I wear the same wedges to work as I do outside of work.

Sometimes I buy clothes for a specific purpose(work, clubbing, beach/pool). Usually I buy clothes I generally like and see where it fits.

My uniform is jeans or shorts and a fitted womens tshirt(baby t). In the summer its wedges or flip flops, colder weather boots or sneaker wedges/boots. I generally don't wear flats.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,729 Curl Virtuoso
    I work in a casual office so a very high percentage of my clothes do multiple duties. Jeans, tanks, sweaters, flip flops, boots, biker clothes, casual summer dresses and sweater dresses - work, shopping, going to the movies, going out to eat, going to bars.
    My athletic clothes do multiple duties too - gym, shopping, lounging around the house.
    I have a very tiny amount of dressy clothes and they are just for weddings and funerals.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file