Dieting: a contrarian view

curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
Skipping breakfast may help you eat less. I know that challenges conventional wisdom but there is considerable research that in normal weight people, skipping breakfast, or eating it mid-morning instead of when you first get up helps you lose weight because you experience less hunger throughout the day.

I know the conventional wisdom is to eat a good breakfast, including good protein, but in some people, that causes much stronger hunger pangs later on. It has something to do with insulin.

I have tested this theory myself. I usually don't want breakfast - just coffee, but often I force myself to eat breakfast because it is supposed to be a healthy thing to do. I definitely am more hungry at night if I eat breakfast than if I don't. Now there is research confirming that in normal weight people skipping breakfast helps them lose weight because they are less hungry during the day, particularly in the evening.

Do you eat breakfast? Are you trying to lose a few pounds? If you don't want breakfast and are trying to diet, try going with your gut, so to speak and skip it.

I'm curious to know others' experiences.
2/c Coarse hair med. density.
Highly porous. Color over grey.
I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
Every day is a gift :flower:

Comments

• BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Registered Users Posts: 2,075 Curl Neophyte
    Skipping breakfast has never done anything for me and I honestly don't see the point in it. Having breakfast gives you fuel to start the day and as long as you're not having bacon every day, I don't think skipping it does much good.

My breakfast is normally under 300 calories anyway. I have very healthy wholewheat cereal (practically no sugar or salt, 130 calories per serving) with almond milk and sometimes cut up a banana with it. It keeps me full until lunch and is just a nice way to start the day, rather than starving myself.

Losing 300 calories in the morning isn't going to change anything for me. I think if I wanted to lose weight (which I don't currently need to) then it would be my evenings I'd need to change, as I tend to have very big servings for dinner and snack late at night.

By all means though, if you're not actually hungry and really don't fancy food in the morning, don't force yourself to. That's just counter-productive.
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • StarmieStarmie Registered Users Posts: 7,169 Curl Virtuoso
    I don't think I could do it even if I wanted to - I feel really sick if I don't eat breakfast.
    3b in South Australia.
  • Corrina777Corrina777 Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Curl Connoisseur
    The subject of intermittent fasting has come up in several nutrition/weight loss groups I follow. While I don't think I could skip breakfast, I do try to limit my eating to a 12-hour window.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Registered Users Posts: 1,308 Curl Neophyte
    @curlypearl It's interesting because in most other places around the world people tend to make dinner their largest meal of the day-whereas we do the opposite. A lot of people like to keep their first meal light and slowly "weigh themselves down" by eating more and more as the day goes on. I don't believe in not eating breakfast or intermittent fasting etc. I can atrest to not beimg hungry in the morning though. That's definitely changed for me over time.

I think we can become to crazy about what and how we should be eating etc. Since becoming vegan, I eat A LOT more than I used to. I also only weigh myself when I go to the doctor's office. It's been working pretty great but I can't wait for my foot to get better so I can start working out again some what. I juat hate when people consider what I do a diet and just dieting in general. I used to be yoyoing/binging when I did diets in the past and it's much better now that I've made it into a lifestyle. I'm going to transfer to uni soon and that will likely somewhat mess things up but maybe I can figure it out. think exercise and going to bed early go hand in hand with eating. I'm just so glad everyone is so conscious of their health regardless of how we do it. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using CurlTalk App
    *Current Routine*
    LP: SM RSB
    CO/CW: CJ Daily Fix, GR Restorative, SM RSB, SM SFC
    DC: SM, CJ Rehab, G.Nutrafix, DIY
    LI: a CO, KCKT
    Sealers: an oil, JC N&S
    Stylers: just CO, CJ CIAB, KCCC, aloe gel, FSG
    Once in a while: ACV, Lemon-Aid

Oils to seal, rinse, and/or pre-poo as needed :love10:

2c/3a/3b coarse, normal porosity
    :toothy4: CG since 2007 :flower:
  • curlysophiecurlysophie Registered Users Posts: 216 Curl Neophyte
    I'm still growing, so I'm not trying to lose weight. However, I would NEVER skip breakfast. I'm usually not very hungry when I wake up in the morning, but I make myself to eat it because I know if I don't, I'll be starving in a few hours, which will make me more likely to eat anything in sight. But again, I'm still growing, so I'm hungry a lot. Lol.
    :love2: Curly Teen :love2:
    CG since 5/2/14
    3A, low/medium porosity, medium texture/thickness
    ~SheaMoisture Shampoos
    ~Suave Essentials Conditioners
    ~Kinky Curly Knot Today
    ~L.A. Looks Sport Gel
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Registered Users Posts: 9,777 Curl Virtuoso
    i only eat when i'm hungry. I'm rarely hungry in the mornings. I've read that you should eat breakfast so that you don't overeat later in the day becuz you are so hungry & may make bad choices.
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • MunchyMunchy Registered Users Posts: 5,206 Curl Novice
    Lotsawaves wrote: »
    i only eat when i'm hungry. I'm rarely hungry in the mornings. I've read that you should eat breakfast so that you don't overeat later in the day becuz you are so hungry & may make bad choices.

This. It doesn't matter when you eat, but just as long as you stay under your calorie goal for the day or week (however you prefer to count it).

• spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    curlypearl wrote: »
    Skipping breakfast may help you eat less. I know that challenges conventional wisdom but there is considerable research that in normal weight people, skipping breakfast, or eating it mid-morning instead of when you first get up helps you lose weight because you experience less hunger throughout the day.

I know the conventional wisdom is to eat a good breakfast, including good protein, but in some people, that causes much stronger hunger pangs later on. It has something to do with insulin.

I have tested this theory myself. I usually don't want breakfast - just coffee, but often I force myself to eat breakfast because it is supposed to be a healthy thing to do. I definitely am more hungry at night if I eat breakfast than if I don't. Now there is research confirming that in normal weight people skipping breakfast helps them lose weight because they are less hungry during the day, particularly in the evening.

Do you eat breakfast? Are you trying to lose a few pounds? If you don't want breakfast and are trying to diet, try going with your gut, so to speak and skip it.

I'm curious to know others' experiences.

This is interesting. I haven't heard this before...except as how it could related to intermittent fasting. The only problem for me is that I tend to be ravenous in the morning!

Yes, I'm in the normal weight category (barely lol) and yes, I would like to lose some. I can see skipping dinner to be much easier for me than skipping breakfast or lunch.

• MunchyMunchy Registered Users Posts: 5,206 Curl Novice
    I tend to eat a pretty large "frittata" for 130-150 calories in the morning before work, then I don't eat until a 200-250 calorie lunch between 2-2:30 and I'm fine.

I can eat the rest of the calories later in the day. I tend to be a little more hungry in the evening than during the day.

• JosephineJosephine Registered Users Posts: 14,408 Curl Connoisseur
    I usually skip breakfast since I don't have time in the morning but I'm starving if I don't. I have coffee to hold me off for a little and then do an early lunch(like today). I don't get up til around 9am so a 1130-12pm meal is like a late breakfast for me. I definitely was slimmer when I regularly ate breakfast in the morning but that's also when I would eat healthier as well(but more and better food since it was homecooked). If I was not hungry, I would not eat, I wish I had that problem lol. I imagine less eating, less weight.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks for all the responses! Very interesting. I guess this approach appeals to me because I'm not hungry in the morning, but if I were, of course I would eat.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Registered Users Posts: 5,136 Curl Connoisseur
    I agree with Lotsa and Munchy about only eating when you're hungry. I don't eat a huge breakfast because my stomach can't handle it. I'm also a grazer. I usually eat two packets of instant oatmeal between 8:30 and 9 am most mornings and then a large lunch between 11 and noon. That's when I'm hungriest. I eat a medium size dinner and a snack before bed.

With most things related to food, it's very individual. Just like I get sick if I cut out carbs and I never get enough protein if I eliminate all animal sources. I can't eat a lot at one time but I probably eat a lot throughout the day. This doesn't work for everyone.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
    But who is happy w her weight & energy levels in her respective current way of eating?
    Somewhat related...I never bought that whole you need to eat extra calories in order to lose weight stuff. To me that never made sense. Like Josephine said, I believe, overall, less eating means less weight (keeping insulin and metabolism and other factors like that in mind).
    Sent from my SCH-I605 using CurlTalk App

• LotsawavesLotsawaves Registered Users Posts: 9,777 Curl Virtuoso
    I'm a grazer also. I can't eat large amounts. I've heard that if you don't eat enuf calories your body will go in starvation mode & it will store the fat. Hasn't been true for me.
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
    Lotsawaves wrote: »
    I'm a grazer also. I can't eat large amounts. I've heard that if you don't eat enuf calories your body will go in starvation mode & it will store the fat. Hasn't been true for me.

Yea same here. When I feel like I'm starving (when I diet) or I eat less when I'm sick, I lose weight. I'm not a grazer though. I prefer to eat 2-3 good meals a day. I hate snacking and snack foods in general. I end up just having 2 since I don't have time for breakfast. If I have breakfast, I can eat less at lunch and be somewhat okay.

I can't 'starve'(diet) myself for too long. I've found as I've gotten older I pretty much have to feel like I'm starving to lose weight. After a week, I'll get used to it, but I always miss real food amounts and fall off :/. I just love food. I just need to work out more.
  • DedachanDedachan Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Curl Neophyte
    I can't go too long without food or my gastritis goes into one of its tantrums. But I am usually only hungry after 9, when I'm already at work, so I usually pack some food with me.

I feel like the biggest problem today is there's just too much sugar in everything you buy. And since I am all day at work, I don't find it easy to make my own food. It doesn't help that I have a sweet tooth either.
  • scrillsscrills Registered Users Posts: 6,700
    Eating breakfast has always made me hungrier throughout the day.

When I was a child, my mom would have to force me to eat breakfast. I refused and we compromised and I would drink the broth from soup. This is why I am not a fan of most soups to this day.

I usually have a large cup of tea (or two) with sugar and a splash of milk and I'm fine until lunch. If I've had a small dinner, I might be hungry enough to eat a bagel, but that pushed lunch back about 2 hours.

I've never understood people who eat breakfast first thing. I just can't. Never could.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,729 Curl Virtuoso
    As others have said, people should eat what they want/need to eat whenever they want to eat it. I have to eat breakfast or I get a migraine and an upset stomach. I take all my vitamins/supplements in the morning so I have to eat to do that. I also eat late at night, contrary to the warnings about doing that.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
    scrills wrote: »
    I've never understood people who eat breakfast first thing. I just can't. Never could.

Omg, and I can't understand people who are not starving in the morning. It's the longest your body goes w/out food! I can eat a huge meal in the morning.

If I eat something small(bagel or cereal) I'll get hungry quicker. I need some type of fat and substance when I eat breakfast. My good in between and healthy breakfast(which is also quick) is 2 boiled eggs and an avocado. My favorite would be hashbrowns, fried eggs, grits, etc. If I eat a regular chick fila chicken biscuit for breakfast, I'm not hungry for HOURs afterwards. God knows how much fat are in those.

Okay I looked it up -

Chicken Biscuit
    Calories
    20g
    Fat
    2g
    Fiber
    6g
    Sugars
    16g
    Protein
    8g
    Saturated Fat
    0g
    Trans Fat
    30mg
    Cholesterol
    1210mg
    Sodium
    48g
    Carbohydrates
    20%
    Iron
    6%
    Calcium
    2%
    Vitamin A
    0%
    Vitamin C
    Breakfast makes me poop. Especially McDonalds..... was that TMI? ;-)
    As others have said, people should eat what they want/need to eat whenever they want to eat it.

Sure, if ppl are healthy and at a good weight, they should. But this topic relates to weight loss, which some ppl have difficulty achieving. And in that case, eating whatever they want hasn't worked. (And do most ppl really know what they need to eat? IDK)

Breakfast makes me poop. Especially McDonalds..... was that TMI? ;-)

Of course not! Same here usually, I love it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using CurlTalk App
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,729 Curl Virtuoso
    As others have said, people should eat what they want/need to eat whenever they want to eat it.

Sure, if ppl are healthy and at a good weight, they should. But this topic relates to weight loss, which some ppl have difficulty achieving. And in that case, eating whatever they want hasn't worked. (And do most ppl really know what they need to eat? IDK)

I'm always fighting weight gain (thank you thyroid and old lady hormones) and this still pertains. If a person feels ill in a morning, forcing themselves to eat (healthy or not) isn't going to help them lose weight. A person can skip breakfast and still be healthy/lose weight. A person can eat their main meal at 11 pm and still be healthy/lose weight. That's what I was saying.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 10,904 Curl Connoisseur
    Josephine wrote: »

Omg, and I can't understand people who are not starving in the morning. It's the longest your body goes w/out food! I can eat a huge meal in the morning.
    C

Same here!!

I'm usually up between 6&7, but if I sleep past 8 I have actual hunger pains when I wake up.

I have no time in the morning, so have cold coffee with a scoop of chocolate protein powder. If I could though, I would have a MASSIVE breakfast everyday, then little stuff the rest of the time.
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn

I'm always fighting weight gain (thank you thyroid and old lady hormones) and this still pertains. If a person feels ill in a morning, forcing themselves to eat (healthy or not) isn't going to help them lose weight. A person can skip breakfast and still be healthy/lose weight. A person can eat their main meal at 11 pm and still be healthy/lose weight. That's what I was saying.

Right. But they can't eat whatever/whenever they want. There have to be some limits and this is one way to limit.

To me, it just sounds like another take on intermittent fasting which is a scientifically-supported weightloss approach. Sounds good to me, if a person could handle going w/o in the morning.

I didn't mean they should eat 60 cheeseburgers for breakfast. I actually did get that this is a thread about dieting and watching one's weight.
    So I will state it differently - People should eat whatever they want (according to their own diet and weight loss goals) whenever they want (morning or middle of the night). If they want to skip breakfast, fine, If they want to eat salad for breakfast and poached eggs on toast for dinner, fine. It's still possible to be healthy and to lose/maintain weight by eating according to one's own lifestyle, even if it is contrary to what the 'experts' suggest.
    Diets usually make me gain weight, LOL. I eat more than I would have normally.

See, something is wrong with me
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    ^^^Disagree. You are perfect!
    Diets usually make me gain weight, LOL. I eat more than I would have normally.

See, something is wrong with me

Sometimes I find this to be true for myself because after a week or two I tend to over eat since I missed good food so much. And I didn't lose enough to balance that.

My metabolism has really gone down the last few years. I've observed with myself and my other older slim friends that you just can't eat well regularly and stay slim at the same time.
  • ShrekLoverShrekLover Registered Users Posts: 2,551 Curl Neophyte

Right. But they can't eat whatever/whenever they want. There have to be some limits and this is one way to limit.

To me, it just sounds like another take on intermittent fasting which is a scientifically-supported weightloss approach. Sounds good to me, if a person could handle going w/o in the morning.

The point of eating when/what you want is that you are supposed to eat slowly and pay attention to when you are starting to get satiated. Once your hunger is gone you stop eating. Most of us eat fast or absentmindedly so we eat past where our bodies would be satisfied and that is the cause of weight gain. I got most of this information from Paul McKenna's "I Can Make You Thin" program. To me it makes a lot of sense. He also says eating whatever you want will eventually make you start to want a more healthy diet.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file