New curly girl here!

curlyvegangirlcurlyvegangirl Registered Users Posts: 3
Hello guys and gals! My name is Christine. Here is a little bit of my hair back story. I want to get to my full curly girl potential!

I've been wearing my hair curly for about two years now. Only a few times I've worn my hair straight-usually after getting a haircut because the stylist did not know how to get my hair curly in a way I liked so I opted for a blow dry. I had seen the same hairstylist for over 20 years. I asked her to cut my hair so I could wear it curly. My hair used to be long and very straight and fine but about 6 or 7 years ago it started getting really frizzy, puffy, and unruly. I would spend so much time trying to make it look straight and I'd always be unhappy when I'd step outside and it would immediately puff up. When I air dried my hair it would always be wavy so I decided to stop fighting my hair and try to work with it. I'd say my hair is a wavy, s'wavy type and if you go by naturally curly definition probably a 2b 2c curl pattern.

I had her cut it short for something different. (My hair has since been about the same length even though I tried to grow it for some time) My hair was longer to about my breasts and I had it cut short to almost chin length. I only recently started going to someone new because they used animal free products. They are very nice but do not know how to cut my hair curly. Now my hair is almost shoulder length, but slightly shorter. I have been trying to decide whether to grow out, keep my hair as is, or cut it slightly shorter to enhance my curls. Since deciding to live a curly hair life I've been much happier.

One thing is that around the same time I went curly I had my first hair coloring experience. I have since had my hair colored a few times and it takes a really long time for my hair to feel better afterwards and my curls to behave. That being said I also really wanted to dye my hair again! I haven't been to the salon in probably over 6 months so my color is looking a little sad. I was putting off getting my hair cut, but trimmed it myself at home to tide me over, but after trying to dye my hair once at home I refuse to color it unless a professional is doing it.

I have the curly girl handbook, use Deva curl no poo, and one conditioner, use Deva arc AnGEL, and on second day hair I use Mist-er right. About once a week or so I use Heaven in Hair. Some days I have really awesome hair days, but I feel like they could be better! Aside from wanting to use animal free products which most of the Deva line are, I also have issues with my scalp and a psoriasis type issue where my scalp gets very itchy, sometimes flaky, and rarely but sometimes gets scabs. My skin is sensitive, but especially on my scalp. It does not help that I have extremely hard water!

Some days I feel like I have really good hair day, but even when I do I know I'm not living up to my curly potential. Can any of you curly guys and gals give me any hair advice?

Added a pic of my BEST curly hair day...would love my curls to look like that all the time! I found a Deva inspired hairstylist in my state (Maine!) and I contacted her to see about getting a consult for a Deva cut! I'm so excited. I'm hoping she can help me!
2c/3a swavy cherub(?) curls. low density, high porosity, fine, long hair. Oily crown, dry ends, lots o' frizz.

Comments

• bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Curl Connoisseur
    Hey Christine! I'm so excited for your devacut and what's going to happen. I'm also ridiculously happy that you made an account. I know how hard it can be to find products sometimes as I'm also curly and vegan. ;)
    I hope to see you more so we can talk hair because it will be so nice to have someone that is also into animal free products. I'm so glad you are embracing your natural hair!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using CurlTalk App
    *Current Routine*
    LP: SM RSB
    CO/CW: CJ Daily Fix, GR Restorative, SM RSB, SM SFC
    DC: SM, CJ Rehab, G.Nutrafix, DIY
    LI: a CO, KCKT
    Sealers: an oil, JC N&S
    Stylers: just CO, CJ CIAB, KCCC, aloe gel, FSG
    Once in a while: ACV, Lemon-Aid

Oils to seal, rinse, and/or pre-poo as needed :love10:

2c/3a/3b coarse, normal porosity
    :toothy4: CG since 2007 :flower:
  • curlyvegangirlcurlyvegangirl Registered Users Posts: 3
    Hello! Thank you for the warm welcome! :) I'm excited too! I am not usually adventurous when it comes to my hair...obviously for good reason! I hope it can enhance my curl factor and that she can give me some good tips for styling! The person I am going to see uses Deva products and also Jessicurl products which I have not used yet, but read are vegan so I'm REALLY excited that I don't have to worry about what is being used and can just enjoy myself! It was super stressful after I went vegan to leave my hairstylist after I had been seeing her since the 3rd grade and find someone who used vegan products...didn't leave me with much of an option. Now hopefully this will be the salon I've been hoping for! Any advice or tidbits you have on vegan haircare I'm all ears! I love beauty products-if I had a big budget I'd spend more on them! veganbeautyreview is one of my favorite blogs! Look forward to chatting more with you about hair soon! I'm pretty excited about it! Thank you again!
    2c/3a swavy cherub(?) curls. low density, high porosity, fine, long hair. Oily crown, dry ends, lots o' frizz.
  • CalicoKittiesCalicoKitties Registered Users Posts: 101
    Welcome to the forum; glad to have you here! Your curls are beautiful! :)
    Started CG method on June 14th, 2015.

Currently 2b/2c
    Medium/high porosity
    Medium/fine texture
    Protein-loving

I have a hair blog! :) check it out: http://carefreecurls.blogspot.com/

Twitter: @CalicoKitties

Current HG products-
    Cleanser: NYM's clean freak shampoo, SheaMoisture's Fruit Fusion Shampoo
    Conditioner: NYM's clean freak conditioner, DevaCurl's One Condition
    Styler(s): Jessicurl's Spiralicious Styling Gel
  • bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Curl Connoisseur
    @curlyvegangirlI'll have to checkout that blog! Absolutely, I cannot wait to see you get more involved and who knows? Maybe, you'll get even more adventurous with your hair in a good way. ;-)

Deva is mostly vegan aside from one product and Jessicurl is vegan as well. Unfortunately, they are not as natural or as healthy as some products out there ingredients wise but they're still vegan. It is exciting to not have to worry when you're used to leaving labels twice and back to front just making sure you haven't missed one ingredient. I cannot tell you how frustrating that can be lol. If you miss your old stylist, I'm sure you could always bring your own products? I know some people do that and if you have known her for so long maybe she would be up for doing that? I will definitely keep you posted on things! I want to try out Deva or maybe Jessicurl but they are definitely more on the pricey side. Curl Junkie is very comparable (as far as higher end products go) but just make sure you read up on things as some of their products are not vegan. I'm trying to not have to order online as much just because it gets out of hand and I like being able to go to the store and get what I need in case I run out etc. I'm in college so I'm trying to save up here and there but will splurge on items that are worth it.
    You are totally welcome! Please, just don't disappear from the boards because I finally have another vegan friend lol! :p

@CalicoKitties You're username is so cute! I've never seen you around before, hi!
    *Current Routine*
    LP: SM RSB
    CO/CW: CJ Daily Fix, GR Restorative, SM RSB, SM SFC
    DC: SM, CJ Rehab, G.Nutrafix, DIY
    LI: a CO, KCKT
    Sealers: an oil, JC N&S
    Stylers: just CO, CJ CIAB, KCCC, aloe gel, FSG
    Once in a while: ACV, Lemon-Aid

Oils to seal, rinse, and/or pre-poo as needed :love10:

2c/3a/3b coarse, normal porosity
    :toothy4: CG since 2007 :flower:
  • CalicoKittiesCalicoKitties Registered Users Posts: 101
    Haha thanks curlies! ;) and hello; nice to meet ya! I joined sometime in June, so I'm still pretty new around here. :)
    Started CG method on June 14th, 2015.

Currently 2b/2c
    Medium/high porosity
    Medium/fine texture
    Protein-loving

I have a hair blog! :) check it out: http://carefreecurls.blogspot.com/

Twitter: @CalicoKitties

Current HG products-
    Cleanser: NYM's clean freak shampoo, SheaMoisture's Fruit Fusion Shampoo
    Conditioner: NYM's clean freak conditioner, DevaCurl's One Condition
    Styler(s): Jessicurl's Spiralicious Styling Gel
  • curlysophiecurlysophie Registered Users Posts: 216 Curl Neophyte
    Hey, welcome! You & your curls are super pretty! I live in NH so we're neighbors...kind of :laughing6:
    :love2: Curly Teen :love2:
    CG since 5/2/14
    3A, low/medium porosity, medium texture/thickness
    ~SheaMoisture Shampoos
    ~Suave Essentials Conditioners
    ~Kinky Curly Knot Today
    ~L.A. Looks Sport Gel
  • curlyvegangirlcurlyvegangirl Registered Users Posts: 3
    calicokitties: thank you! Like I said, this was my best curl day ever! I'm hoping with the research I do on the boards and hopefully getting my hair cut by a curly savvy stylist that my curls will reach their full potential! Definitely not looking like that recently, unfortunately. :P

bringingcurliesback?: What is your name? :) Definitely check out the blog it's a good one. Sunny is super sweet! (The blog owner) I have been perusing the forum for a while but decided to sign up. I sent an email to the stylist and called and left a message so I'll definitely be posting about my experience once I get an appointment! Hopefully it will be a good experience. I definitely was never adventurous with my hair before...had the same style for a looong time. Only a few years back did I get adventurous. Chopped off all my hair (it was down to my butt!) and then tried highlights, then colored, then grew my hair out again, cut it, and then have rocked the curls for a few years. Curls fit my personality and make me feel happy! It makes me sad that I have so much weight and flatness to the crown and the back of my hair, because when it is at it's full curl potential I feel like my hair has super strong ringlet definition.

Yes, I am suuuper careful about checking ingredients in everything. A bit anal about it haha...but you know, sometimes things are even labeled vegan and are not! You never know, always good to be safe and double check! I know one or two of the Deva line I stay away from for that reason, but it's also why I've kind of splurged and purchased the ones that are vegan because I was just so excited to find a vegan curly line! I know the stylist I'm hoping to see uses both Deva and Jessicurl which is exciting. I'm just looking to find some stuff that is good for my head and hair and is vegan...it's a balancing act, that's for sure! I just want my curls to work with me not against me haha.
    I thought about that, but if I can find a stylist that actually deals with curls I'd rather try that then go back to my old stylist. I do love her a lot, but she only cut my hair curly twice. Once when I went curly for the first time and I was REALLY happy with my hair, and then the second time she cut it I didn't like it. I felt like she was distracted and the quality of my cut went out the window. She was very pricey so I'd rather save my pennies. Like you I am also in school and don't make very much so getting my hair cut and getting hair products is a real treat! I've heard pretty good things about Curl Junkie so I'll have to look into them more. Like I said, curious to see what the stylist suggests. That's one thing I always struggled with with my old stylist...she never recommended products to me or taught me how to style my own hair which I need help with! I also save up and splurge on products I really want! I like to feel good and my hair is really important to me and a big part of my identity! I know that sounds silly but I am one of those girls that cry over bad haircuts. :P

curlysophie: hello New England friend! Thank you! Like I said, that was my best curl day so I'm hoping with the help of the board that I can have curls like that (or better) every day! Your hair is gorgeous as well! I see from your picture! :)
  • curlysophiecurlysophie Registered Users Posts: 216 Curl Neophyte
    Aw, thank you so much! :D
    :love2: Curly Teen :love2:
    CG since 5/2/14
    3A, low/medium porosity, medium texture/thickness
    ~SheaMoisture Shampoos
    ~Suave Essentials Conditioners
    ~Kinky Curly Knot Today
    ~L.A. Looks Sport Gel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji