Gentle but cleansing drugstore shampoo?

zwavyzwavy Registered Users Posts: 30
Hi! I'm looking for a drugstore shampoo since the DevaCurl Low-Poo I'm using is way too expensive and doesn't give me much volume at all (it leaves a weird film on my hair at my scalp). I have tried SheaMoisture before, but it gave me terrible buildup and left my hair smelling horrible. Any suggestions would be wonderful! Thank you!
2a/2b fine(ish) waves with low porosity and medium thickness.
Current shampoo (I switch it up a lot): Attitude Volume and Shine
Current conditioner (also switch up a lot): Attitude Volume and Shine (about to change to Giovanni for more moisture)
Gel: LA Looks Sport Gel
Cream: OGX Moroccan Curling Perfection
Leave-in: Nexxus Hydra-Light Weightless Moisture
I usually mix the cream/leave-in and the gel so that I have not as strong of a hold.

Comments

• wavycurlymesswavycurlymess Registered Users Posts: 48
    I wish I had a suggestion! I am looking for the same. I love the low poo. I used Yes To Cucumbers shampoo for color-treated hair for some time, as it was CG, but after a while I think it dried me out. That was the closest I could find to Deva's low poo. Right now I'm back to DC until I can find something else.

If you find one, let me know :)
    2B,2C with some 3A curls
    Shoulder-length
    Fine, Thin
    Medium porosity
    Color-treated
  • zwavyzwavy Registered Users Posts: 30
    I had some options that I found at Target but was going to ask other people with my hairtype how it worked for them. I was planning on trying Not Your Mother's Way To Grow, Organix Argan Oil of Morocco Shampoo, or Organix Repairing Awapuhi Ginger Shampoo. Has anyone tried these?
    Current conditioner (also switch up a lot): Attitude Volume and Shine (about to change to Giovanni for more moisture)
    I usually mix the cream/leave-in and the gel so that I have not as strong of a hold.
  • sixelamysixelamy Registered Users Posts: 4,157 Curl Novice
    I love Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Registered Users Posts: 1,308 Curl Neophyte
    I'm a Shea Moisture gold label shampoo girl for most likely life but maybe you will like Kinky Curly Come Clean if you want your hair to be clean and product free. A lot of people say it's drying. I think it does what it's supposed to in the sense that it takes out all of the build up from your hair that you've been piling on throughout the week (depending on your routine of course). I have not tried it first hand but might have it on hand for the future.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using CurlTalk App
    *Current Routine*
    LP: SM RSB
    CO/CW: CJ Daily Fix, GR Restorative, SM RSB, SM SFC
    DC: SM, CJ Rehab, G.Nutrafix, DIY
    LI: a CO, KCKT
    Sealers: an oil, JC N&S
    Stylers: just CO, CJ CIAB, KCCC, aloe gel, FSG
    Once in a while: ACV, Lemon-Aid

Oils to seal, rinse, and/or pre-poo as needed :love10:

2c/3a/3b coarse, normal porosity
    :toothy4: CG since 2007 :flower:
  • DrRachDrRach Registered Users Posts: 264 Curl Neophyte
    Palmers Co wash cleansing conditioner is really cheap (i just paid £3.99 for a 473ml/16 oz pump bottle). It has coco betaine in the ingredients but quite low on the list, so it should be very gentle.
    3 b Baby fine, Low density, high porosity, naturally pale blonde. And a UK Curly Girl:thumbleft:
    No/Low Poo: Palmers Olive Oil Cowash
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    DT/PT: CJ Repair Me!, SM Fruit Fusion
    Stylers: LUS Curly 3in1 leave in

• MrsGooseyMrsGoosey Registered Users Posts: 4
    I've been using and enjoying the yes to cucumbers shampoo. I know someone mentioned it may have dried their hair, but I have not experienced this in the last year of using it. I follow up with Shea Moisture's curl and shine conditioner, which leaves my hair super soft and moisturized. For reference, my hair looks a lot like yours. The shampoo is $8 at Target and Walgreens.
  • BluejacketsgirlBluejacketsgirl Registered Users Posts: 94
    If you can get to an Ulta, the new shampoo from Shea Moisture (fruit fusion w/ coconut water) is amazing and only $10 for a bottle. Better than anything I've found.

SheaMoisture Fruit Fusion Coconut Water Weightless Shampoo Ulta.com - Cosmetics, Fragrance, Salon and Beauty Gifts
    2C, low porosity, medium density
    CoWash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Low-Poo: SM Fruit Fusion Weightless Shampoo
    Rinse Out & Leave In: SM Coconut and Hibiscus Curl & Shine Conditioner
    Syler: KCCC. BRHG
    Refresher: SheaMoisture Smooth and Repair High Shine Glosser

Read and follow my curly girl blog!:blob7:

Like me on Facebook!:thumright:
    Follow me on Twitter!:angel8:
  • CaylynnCaylynn Registered Users Posts: 117
    sixelamy wrote: »
    I love Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat.

Me too. Both the shampoo and conditioner.
    Canadian - 2A/2B - chin length, med/avg porosity, medium texture, thick density (but thinning)
    Group fitness instructor & marathon runner - need to wash daily
    Low-poo: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat
    Co-wash: Tresemmé Naturals
    RO: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat, Tresemmé Perfectly Undone, Sukin Protein
    LI: Tresemmé Perfectly Undone, Sukin Protein
    Stylers: Tresemmé Perfectly Undone Sea Foam, Andalou Naturals Sunflower & Citrus Gel, Giovanni Naturals Mousse
    Maybe I'll try shea moisture again ... I think I made the mistake of picking a line that was too heavy for my hair -I did the coconut and hibiscus shampoo and my hair was awful with it. But maybe a different line?
    2B,2C with some 3A curls
    Shoulder-length
    Fine, Thin
    Medium porosity
    Color-treated
  • PumpUptheCurlsPumpUptheCurls Registered Users Posts: 88
    Maybe I'll try shea moisture again ... I think I made the mistake of picking a line that was too heavy for my hair -I did the coconut and hibiscus shampoo and my hair was awful with it. But maybe a different line?
    Some say that their kids line is much lighter and have had much success with it! They also have a type that it meant for fine hair that you can look into

Sent from my SM-G900T using CurlTalk App
    2Cish curls,crazy at best. My products are everywhere looking for that HG!
  • BluejacketsgirlBluejacketsgirl Registered Users Posts: 94

I do NOT like the Coconut and Hibiscus curl and shine shampoo at ALL. This stuff is wonderful, but unfortunately it's exclusive to ULTA stores only (for now) so if you don't have one around you, you're out of luck. I really love it. And it smells great.
    2C, low porosity, medium density
    CoWash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Low-Poo: SM Fruit Fusion Weightless Shampoo
    Rinse Out & Leave In: SM Coconut and Hibiscus Curl & Shine Conditioner
    Syler: KCCC. BRHG
    Refresher: SheaMoisture Smooth and Repair High Shine Glosser

Read and follow my curly girl blog!:blob7:

Like me on Facebook!:thumright:
    Follow me on Twitter!:angel8:
  • SereneCurlsSereneCurls Registered Users Posts: 1,145 Curl Neophyte
    Yes to Cucumbers and Giovanni 50/50 have been my favorites. In between I co-wash with various things. For anyone who found the Yes to Cucumbers drying, I know there were a couple of versions at some point, one with sulfates and one without. I think it's the one that says color care on it that doesn't have sulfates. It still has some pretty strong surfactants, but you only need a tiny bit since it spreads through the hair well. I imagine if you low poo as your general method of cleansing, not just between co-washes, you might prefer something more gentle, maybe with glucosides instead of stronger surfactants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    3a, dense, fairly coarse, normal porosity and elasticity, just below shoulder
    Low poo: Giovanni 50 50
    Co-wash: aia, suave coconut, salon care
    R O: Tresume Naturals, gvpcb
    L I: KCKT, gvpcb
    Stylers: cjpp, re : coil, kccc, brhg
    Oils: coconut, argan
    Experimenting with: curls rock amplifier, pantene mousse
    Bluejackets - Good to know I'm not the only one who didn't like it! I do have an ulta nearby, but I avoid going because I end up spending hours and lots of money every time I go ... lol but maybe if I know what I am looking for, I can get in and get out!

SereneCurls - I did use the color-treated hair shampoo without sulfates, but was using it for every cleanse so maybe that's why it got dry after a while. At one point I was rotating it with a VO5 cowash every other cleanse, can't remember if that helped or not.
    2B,2C with some 3A curls
    Shoulder-length
    Fine, Thin
    Medium porosity
    Color-treated
  • bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Registered Users Posts: 1,308 Curl Neophyte
    Wavycurlymess What do you want from a shea moisture shampoo exactly? Do you want the clean feeling/lather or moisture similar to a cowash? I think the newer lines have way more shampoos out there now so you should find something that works for you if you still want to try Shea Moisture. :)

The Moisture Retention line was the first Shea Moisture product I ever tried and probably my shampoo for life lol. I like it because it feels like it's not even a shampoo really (which some people despise and some love). The ingredients list is also really short and nice which I enjoy (it also had a formula change but not drastic). I also really like how it kind of feels a bit detangling/slippery for a shampoo. However, I did try the Yucca Baobab (which has since changed) and it felt like more of a clean feeling like traditional shampoo. A lot of people seem to like the Superfruit one. Maybe you should narrow it down from there and see if someone with your type has left a review on one? I think that would really help. Shea Moisture doesn't make it easy with how quickly they come out with new stuff lol.

I mean let's just start a list haha:
    Moisture Retention Shampoo
    Yucca Plantain Shampoo
    African Black Soap Shampoo
    Coconut Hibiscus Shampoo
    JBCO Shampoo
    Manuka Shampoo
    Zanzibar Shampoo
    Superfruit Shampoo
    Tahitian Noni Shampoo
    The Professional's Line Shampoos
    Fruit Fusion Shampoo
    And then there's the kid's/baby lines
    Three Butters Utility Shampoo (from the men's line, I think they have a shampoo)

Those are the ones I could think of and I think that's all of them. Who knows they probabaly came out with more as we speak! Anyway, I feel like I'll never be able to try them all because I'm such a PJ with other things despite being vegan (which really helps narrow down choices) but I know I finish conditioner way faster than shampoo. This is my second bottle of SM shampoo and I've been using their products for I think three or four years now. It just lasts me a long time because I usually wash my hair once a week. Since it's summer and I'm washing a bit more frequently I tend to cowash the other days but idk if I had to or did shampoo it would be with old faithful. However, I might get Come Clean because it might be a good a idea to really clarify to "restart" everything periodically. Especially so, if I start using butters, creams, and oils more abundantly when it gets colder.

*Current Routine*

• ExpectoPatronumExpectoPatronum Registered Users Posts: 143
    Count me in as another who adores Shea Moisture Shampoos. I'll wander off to try something else, but I always ALWAYS end up going back to them. I don't know what kind of sorcery is in those bottles but I have tried three of their shampoos and my hair does great with all of them.

I do recommend, if you can, getting two different ones - one that is more cleansing (like the African Black Soap one) and one that is more moisturizing. That way you have options you can use depending on your hair's needs.

I really don't feel like their shampoos get enough hype. They're my all time favorite! They might even be my favorite product from the line.
    :color: HAIR STATS & ROUTINE :color:
    2c/3a--medium porosity--medium density--medium/coarse
    Cleansers: Shea Moisture Scalp Detox Shampoo, wash ~2x a week
    Conditioners: Cantu Hydrating Cream Conditioner (RO,HG!)
    Stylings: SM Curl and Style Milk (HG), Camille Rose Curl Maker (HG!)
    SOTC: SM Curl and Style Milk
    Oils: Coconut
    Working with waves since April 2015

• Hannah.ReillHannah.Reill Registered Users Posts: 37
    A really good cleansing shampoo I've used is Kinky Curly Come Clean. Some people say it strips their hair, but it worked pretty well for me especially when my hair felt over-moisturized/wanted to get a lot of products out. I've also tried Briogeo Be Gentle, Be Kind which is nice and more gentle than the Kinky Curly, but it's expensive ($19 at Sephora/CurlMart I think). I've heard that the Eden BodyWorks Peppermint Shampoo (at Sally Beauty/CurlMart, about $9) is similar to the Kinky Curly but I haven't tried it yet.

I'm using Shea Moisture shampoos right now, but you seem to not have a lot of luck with them!
    2Bish, very thick! CG since 8/2014

Favorites:
    Shampoo: SheaMoisture, Original Moxie
    Cowash: As I Am Cowash
    Conditioner/Leave-in: CJ Smoothing Lotion, Original Moxie Everyday
    Stylers: Curl Junkie Pattern Pusha, Jessicurl Spiralicious, Original Moxie
    I second Expecto Patronum's recommendation to likely get two of them! However, that could likely be one of my PJ traits speaking. I do think the Fruit Fusion has quite some lathering action and seems to be pretty lightweight from the reviews I've seen-in case you would like one. Also, depending on where you live you might want to get something more or less moisturizing for when it gets colder.

@Hannah.Reill When you tried Kinky Curly Come Clean did you use it as your regular shampoo or only occasionally to clarify and really remove buildup? Also, did you find a little goes a long way? I honestly don't know if I really need another shampoo at all because it could last me ages. How often do you wash your hair? Also, your hair looks a lot like mine when I did a major chop a while back. I just wanted to say hi because I've never seen you on the boards before! Your hair is lovely. :)
    *Current Routine*

Wow, that list is overwhelming!! lol but thank you for taking the time to respond so thoroughly. I am looking for something cleansing but that won't dry out my hair or leave it feeling stripped. I really like how the deva low-poo makes my hair feel. I color my hair, so I want something that won't strip the color out either. I want it to be moisturizing but not too moisturizing, as my hair is fine and thin and want to avoid weighing it down. Hope that helps.

I do think I tried the yucca and baobob line, as that sounded familiar but I couldn't seem to find it again. I didn't like it anyway, but wanted to look at the ingredients to trouble-shoot. I think I was just trying whatever was in my local walgreens honestly even if it was totally wrong for my hair type.
    2B,2C with some 3A curls
    Shoulder-length
    Fine, Thin
    Medium porosity
    Color-treated
    Not a problem! Maybe you should try the entire Devacare line (for color treated hair) and give me a review while your at it so I can see if I should consider it too lol. ;)
    They changed it to Yucca Plantain I believe so that might be it and I don't like it too much either but then again I just have a bit of the growth milk and the mask (old formula) left.

*Current Routine*

I had the same bad experience with SheaMoisture! Not good for my fine hair.
    Which one did you use? And please specify?

*Current Routine*

• ExpectoPatronumExpectoPatronum Registered Users Posts: 143
    I can see it not working too well for fine hair. In that case, Kinky Curly Come Clean might work out better. I never tried it, but I can see how a more cleansing shampoo would be better for finer hair textures. (My own hair is on the medium/coarser side of things)
    :color: HAIR STATS & ROUTINE :color:
    2c/3a--medium porosity--medium density--medium/coarse
    Cleansers: Shea Moisture Scalp Detox Shampoo, wash ~2x a week
    Conditioners: Cantu Hydrating Cream Conditioner (RO,HG!)
    Stylings: SM Curl and Style Milk (HG), Camille Rose Curl Maker (HG!)
    SOTC: SM Curl and Style Milk
    Oils: Coconut
    Working with waves since April 2015

I never did try Kinky Curly Come Clean. I do like the curling custard, although lately have been using AG Recoil as my styler pretty successfully. When I run out of the deva low-poo, that might be my next try.

Now I'm editing to add that I am rethinking that decision to try Kinky Curly, hahaha. I read some reviews and am not sure if it is too harsh. Argh, guess I have to bite the bullet and try something.
    2B,2C with some 3A curls
    Shoulder-length
    Fine, Thin
    Medium porosity
    Color-treated
    I'm not sure which one I used, but it was in a pink bottle. It smelled great in the packaging, but once I washed and airdried my hair, it smelled horrible and my scalp felt greasy and itchy until I washed it with something that lathered more. It took many washes for all of that buildup to go away. Not fun!
  • Hannah.ReillHannah.Reill Registered Users Posts: 37
    I second Expecto Patronum's recommendation to likely get two of them! However, that could likely be one of my PJ traits speaking. I do think the Fruit Fusion has quite some lathering action and seems to be pretty lightweight from the reviews I've seen-in case you would like one. Also, depending on where you live you might want to get something more or less moisturizing for when it gets colder.

@Hannah.Reill When you tried Kinky Curly Come Clean did you use it as your regular shampoo or only occasionally to clarify and really remove buildup? Also, did you find a little goes a long way? I honestly don't know if I really need another shampoo at all because it could last me ages. How often do you wash your hair? Also, your hair looks a lot like mine when I did a major chop a while back. I just wanted to say hi because I've never seen you on the boards before! Your hair is lovely. :)

I used it occasionally, maybe once a week or every two weeks (can't remember exactly) just to clarify. I definitely think a little goes a long way, and the bottle lasted me a while. I didn't have any issues with it stripping my hair since I always followed it with a masque/thick conditioner, but I also liked that it kind of let me wipe the slate clean. I'm not using it right now but thinking about picking it up again. Lately I've been washing my hair (alternating between shampoos/cowashing) every 2 or 3 days, sometimes more if I work out/2nd day hair is not working out. I just got a haircut today though, and now it's chin-length so I'm not sure how that's going to go.

Thank you! I don't post that much but I've been lurking for a while ;-)
    2Bish, very thick! CG since 8/2014

Favorites:
    Shampoo: SheaMoisture, Original Moxie
    Cowash: As I Am Cowash
    Conditioner/Leave-in: CJ Smoothing Lotion, Original Moxie Everyday
    Stylers: Curl Junkie Pattern Pusha, Jessicurl Spiralicious, Original Moxie
    @wavycurlymess There are lots of sulfate free shampoos out there. If you use KCCC be sure to use a deep conditioner afterwards. ;)
    @zwavy I'm sorry to hear this. It's the superfruit one... my mom uses that but her hair isn't like ours at all. I think you should give KCCC a try too maybe? Either that or the Trader Joe's etc.-there are plenty of low poos.
    @Hannah.Reill You've got to post a picture! Gah, I want to cut my hair and then grow it out. It changes every minute lol. I think I'm going to grab it as a good clarifier for when I live in dorms because I won't be able to carry ACV around... I might still do that though but then again I plan on using more products too idk. Following it with a deep conditioner makes sense though. Thanks!

*Current Routine*

• chupiechupie Registered Users Posts: 5,280 Curl Connoisseur
    zwavy wrote: »
    Hi! I'm looking for a drugstore shampoo since the DevaCurl Low-Poo I'm using is way too expensive and doesn't give me much volume at all (it leaves a weird film on my hair at my scalp). I have tried SheaMoisture before, but it gave me terrible buildup and left my hair smelling horrible. Any suggestions would be wonderful! Thank you!

A lot of wavies are liking Renpure at Target over on WHC. It may have the a-cone in it way down the list but so far not at issue.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • BabyfineBabyfine Registered Users Posts: 149 Curl Novice
    for me Yes to Cucumbers color Care shampoo and conditioner.
    and Giovanni Smooth as Silk line
    both of these I can get at my local Walmart.

Both do a good job of being both cleansing and moisturizing
    and the Smooth As Silk does not weigh down my fine/color treated hair.
    I'm looking for more curl, body, volume, and shine-a miracle really.
    Poos" Nioxin, Devacurl, Jessicurl
    Leave in: Ouidad Moisture Lock/B'leavein
    Rinse out: VO5 Kiwi Lime, Mane and Tail,Too Shea
    Mousse: Oscar Blandi Hair Life, Ouidad Playcurl
    Gel: Devacurl Light defining gel
  • MeiMei Registered Users Posts: 259 Curl Neophyte
    Fine hair must have the shampoo and conditioner washed completely out of it or else it's normally weighed down. The film left on your hair is probably because it's low-porosity.

My fine low porosity hair loves Shea Moisture African Black Soap, which is more clarifying than the other product lines they carry. I use Devacurl on a regular basis though as I am in Canada. It isn't cheap no but when used properly it usually works. There is also the Devacare line which may give you a different result.

Live Clean is a good brand for fine hair though I think only available up here in Canada, or Giovanni Tea Tree. Either of which should be available at a drug store.

You can also dilute a shampoo to make it less harsh on the hair and be sure to only wash the scalp area with the shampoo when you have fine hair... The shampoo will rinse its way through the length of hair.
    Multicultural (Caucasian/Filipina)
    2b/2c - f - iii - low porosity - normal elasticity
    Holy Grail: Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair
    I rotate through the rest of my products depending on weather and etc but usually don't need them
    I try not to use products tested on animals if I can help it.
    Link: Updated hair picture January 2017

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file