Is 5000mcg of B12 combined with 10,000mcg of Biotin too much?

MyaaPapiyaMyaaPapiya Registered Users Posts: 11
Hello, I was wondering if anyone thinks that 5,000mcg of B12 combined with 10,000mcg of Biotin?
I have 3B-3C hair.
I'm not taking these to actually grow my hair (even though that would be exciting) but I'm taking these to repair my hair.
For YEARS my hair has always been breaking, falling out and spliting due to bleaching and dying my hair but it has been 3 years ago since I've done any of those. I have heat damage too but I actually haven't flat ironed my hair in 4 months now. I've been taking great care of my hair such as oil treatments, hair mask/masque, massaging my scalp, I only wash my hair 2 times a week, moisturizing, and etc. I work out 5 times a week for an hour and my diet is good. I drink LOTS of water and eat good portions. I've also been limiting heat for my hair to only 3 times a year by the way.

I've actually been taking 10,000mcg of Biotin for a little over a month now and I've grown 2 inches (I know it's A LOT for a month) but I'm still losing hair and my hair is still in the damaged state. I understand I would have to wait another month or 2 to see great results but I would think Biotin would repair my hair first then grow..?
I decided to take the B12 with Biotin only because I heard you would have to take another health supplement in order for it to FULLY work.
I may be wrong or they may be wrong but I really need a suggestion or whatever!
Sorry for the whole story. I really wanted to give a lot of detail for you all to understand.
Thank you! :toothy10:

Comments

• AfromuffinAfromuffin Registered Users Posts: 158
    You might not want to hear this, but I think you should cut the heat damaged hair off.
    It could cause your hair to become more porous( the heat) and not retain moisture, hence your issues right now.

I would cut it off and refrain from using heat for a while, biotin can cause acne and you'll have to drink lots of water everyday, way too much to do in my opinion lol.

Nothing is going to repair it if it's truly damaged sadly
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    I don't know anything about recommended doses for biotin, but my experience with doctors is that B12 is ordinarily prescribed as 1,000 mcg or 2,000 mcg a day.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • MyaaPapiyaMyaaPapiya Registered Users Posts: 11
    Ah! How could I forget to mention that I was going to cut my hair when I flat iron my hair. I was thinking of flat ironing it at the end of this month or September. I'm either going to cut it myself (yes I know how to cut hair, I just don't cut my own.) or go to a salon that my sister goes to because one of the ladies there will cut it precisely.
    As for the Biotin, I actually have only 2 weeks worth of pills left and I'm thinking of just finishing that and then not buy anymore and also for the B12, it only has 20 left.
    But I thank you so much for the feedback!!!
  • sixelamysixelamy Registered Users Posts: 4,157 Curl Novice
    I would get a blood workup done at your doctor's office to make sure you don't have thyroid issues. This question is better suited for the medical profession anyway. At least B12 is water soluble. Are you taking methycobalamin? That's the most easily absorbed and utilized by the body. There really is no need to take that much B12, because your body won't use it all.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • BelleBohemienneBelleBohemienne Registered Users Posts: 375 Curl Neophyte
    Double check with your doctor, but usually what happens to supplemented vitamins and minerals is that when digested the body uses what it needs and excretes the rest. So, if you take 10,000mcg of Biotin and your body only needs 1,000, well the rest gets excreted through waste. So, before you spend the money because those supplements can get expensive, talk to your doctor first. Many times we think we need extra vitamins when we don't really.

~Belle Bohemienne
    ~Belle Bohemienne

"If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present." -Lao Tzu

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file