I am new and terrified

AllenebAlleneb Registered Users Posts: 1
My name is Allene..I am from the British Virgin Islands. I just decided one week ago to go natural. I last permed my hair two months ago. I have had in a perm for 34 years. I have no idea what my hair texture is as I was a child when I first got it straightened. My hair right now at its longest is a few inches above my bra strap.I have never had short hair and I am terrified of it all breaking off. I plan to put cornrows in my hair and take them out every two weeks ( depending on how much I sweat during workout). I have been reading the blogs and the transitioners tab. I just purchased a deep conditioner, daily moisturizer and a scalp serum ( made up of different oils coconut, castor etc).
My main concern is how to wash it and prevent breakages while trying to detangle it. I still go to my regular hairdresser but I worry that she may not be gentle enough and I and wondering if i should try to wash it myself. I look forward to all that I can learn from everyone.

Comments

• bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Curl Connoisseur
    Alleneb wrote: »
    My name is Allene..I am from the British Virgin Islands. I just decided one week ago to go natural. I last permed my hair two months ago. I have had in a perm for 34 years. I have no idea what my hair texture is as I was a child when I first got it straightened. My hair right now at its longest is a few inches above my bra strap.I have never had short hair and I am terrified of it all breaking off. I plan to put cornrows in my hair and take them out every two weeks ( depending on how much I sweat during workout). I have been reading the blogs and the transitioners tab. I just purchased a deep conditioner, daily moisturizer and a scalp serum ( made up of different oils coconut, castor etc).
    My main concern is how to wash it and prevent breakages while trying to detangle it. I still go to my regular hairdresser but I worry that she may not be gentle enough and I and wondering if i should try to wash it myself. I look forward to all that I can learn from everyone.

There is no need to be terrified but I can understand. This is quite literally, going to be an entirely new experience for you. I am so excited that you are starting your journey and you should be too. You will learn so much as there is a plethora of information out there and on this website. Try not to compare yourself to too many other people and worry about what will happen. I wonder what your natural hair is like and before you know it you will be so surprised at how far you come! I definitely think that you should wash your own hair. You need to take control of your hair and understand what it's like.

However, I also wanted to mention that since you are transitioning, you're going to want to decide whether you would like to slowly cut out the damage or big chop. Just realize that the reason your hair is breaking off is because of this prior damage and the new growth at your roots will obviously be healthier as it hasn't been put through as much. Also, keep in mind that the products you bought may or may not work for you and that is entirely okay because through trial/error you will find what works for you. I"m mentioning this because if your hair does not react well it might be because a product is not right for you rather than your hair not cooperating.

We're here for you girl. ;-)
    *Current Routine*
    LP: SM RSB
    CO/CW: CJ Daily Fix, GR Restorative, SM RSB, SM SFC
    DC: SM, CJ Rehab, G.Nutrafix, DIY
    LI: a CO, KCKT
    Sealers: an oil, JC N&S
    Stylers: just CO, CJ CIAB, KCCC, aloe gel, FSG
    Once in a while: ACV, Lemon-Aid

Oils to seal, rinse, and/or pre-poo as needed :love10:

2c/3a/3b coarse, normal porosity
    :toothy4: CG since 2007 :flower: