Dreaded pyramid

ZoevaZoeva Registered Users Posts: 20
Usually I'm someone that doesn't really get mad when something goes wrong at the hair salon as hair grows anyway so who cares right? But this time I'm just sick of it. I went to a hair salon which started out good, she used the right products to detangle my hair and the right brushes and took her time.

But then the cutting! I thought she was doing a good job, I ended up however with super flat roots and super curly ends. I asked her to put some anti frizz serum on my roots because it looked crazy. Anyways I paid, even gave her a tip but as it dried up it looked like the dread pyramid shape. So here I am, with hair that's too short for my liking, no long layers which I had asked for and hair that looks absolutely terrible when worn naturally.

Any tips on how I can fix this mess myself? Help a curly girl out:neutral:

Comments

• curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    Zoeva, I'm really sorry. I know exactly what you mean about the dreaded pyramid shape because it has happened to me.

Unfortunately, I know of nothing you can do to fix the mess yourself.

For me, the only cure was to go to a completely different stylist and get it re-cut which cost money, made my hair too short but fixed the problem. I know that isn't what you want to hear. I hope other curlies will chime in with good suggestions.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • ZoevaZoeva Registered Users Posts: 20
    curlypearl wrote: »
    Zoeva, I'm really sorry. I know exactly what you mean about the dreaded pyramid shape because it has happened to me.

For me, the only cure was to go to a completely different stylist and get it re-cut which cost money, made my hair too short but fixed the problem. I know that isn't what you want to hear. I hope other curlies will chime in with good suggestions.

Thank you for reacting! I'm afraid I'll have to do that too urgh. I was thinking of cutting the layers in myself but I'm too afraid to ruin my hair even more.

I just don't understand hair stylists, do they not learn how to cut curly hair? I literally have never had a positive experience with a hair salon and this one was 60 dollars which is very expensive!
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    If you go to get it re-cut (urgh!) maybe bring a few pictures of what you would like. You can find them on the web. Google something like curly hair pictures (some websites offer filters like hair length).

Good luck, Z. :hello2:
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    Hmm. I wonder what would happen if you waited for a few days, to let your hair calm down (my hair is often bushier at the ends right after a cut for a few days), and then call the stylist back up and tell her that you are unhappy and would like a tweak? Perhaps if she can see the results of the cut on your finished, dry hair, she will be able to correct the cut. If you're still unhappy, then you can go someplace else. But this would at least save you a little bit of money, if she can fix the cut.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Registered Users Posts: 1,308 Curl Neophyte
    Yes, I would recommend waiting it out. You could then try styling it yourself and see how it reacts. If all else fails, go ahead and cut it curl by curl while it's dry.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using CurlTalk App
    *Current Routine*
    LP: SM RSB
    CO/CW: CJ Daily Fix, GR Restorative, SM RSB, SM SFC
    DC: SM, CJ Rehab, G.Nutrafix, DIY
    LI: a CO, KCKT
    Sealers: an oil, JC N&S
    Stylers: just CO, CJ CIAB, KCCC, aloe gel, FSG
    Once in a while: ACV, Lemon-Aid

Oils to seal, rinse, and/or pre-poo as needed :love10:

2c/3a/3b coarse, normal porosity
    :toothy4: CG since 2007 :flower:
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Registered Users Posts: 5,136 Curl Connoisseur
    Zoeva wrote: »
    curlypearl wrote: »

Thank you for reacting! I'm afraid I'll have to do that too urgh. I was thinking of cutting the layers in myself but I'm too afraid to ruin my hair even more.

I just don't understand hair stylists, do they not learn how to cut curly hair? I literally have never had a positive experience with a hair salon and this one was 60 dollars which is very expensive!

Most American stylists don't learn to cut curly hair. They're taught to blowdry it straight and relax it into submission with chemicals if blowdrying and flat ironing doesn't work.

I agree with waiting it out to see of it calms down on its own. If not, then get it recut.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • JunyJuJunyJu Registered Users Posts: 495 Curl Neophyte
    I second what Therese said. After my Deva Cut I initially was very unhappy. The next day I had washed it and it looked like the pyramid as well; I was devastated. But as the week passed and I continued styling it, the shape slowly became clearer. Now, maybe 2 or so weeks later, I have no problem getting the shape right with my normal routine. Hair does need a little time to adjust after a cut, however, if it was just a bad cut, call your stylist back and let her know.

I called mine and she was willing to see me again if needed, but told me to wait just a few more days, and that did the trick. Most salons would rather fix it for you then leave you upset, especially if you mention having talked to other people (potential clients for them) about not liking it. Word of mouth can kill a salon or any business, and I'm sure they'll work something out for you without you having to spend a dime.

*I'm not saying to threaten them, hopefully no one took it that way. But I do know that you leaving a bad review/telling others it was a bad cut is motivation for them to get it right. :)
    Medium texture, with some fine. Colored. High porosity, high density. 3b/3c; multicultural.

•Deep Conditioner: Shea Moisture JBCO Hair Masque
    •Conditioner: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
    •No-poo: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
    •Styler(s): Shea Moisture JBCO Leave-In, As I Am Curling Jelly.
    •CG as of 12/?/2014, BC 04/?/2015. First CG cut 7/9/2015. :happy3:
    Thanks girls! I will call them on Tuesday and see what they say, I'm really way too shy to go in there and complain lol. Thing is, the girl that cut my hair was someone who was still in training but had curly hair herself and she seemed really confident which is why I let her do my hair in the first place. She knew exactly what was wrong with my hair but the execution of what she wanted to change is kind of meh.

If I wait until Tuesday then it will have some time to settle I guess, let's hope for the best!

Here is a pic of how it looks like now btw:
  • rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,355 Curl Connoisseur
    i love your hair! it is not really the pyramid, but i agree that it could probably use just a BIT more LONG layers.
    i agree with waiting a few days, then call.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Registered Users Posts: 1,308 Curl Neophyte
    @Zoeva Your hair is gorgeous. I'm not just saying that. I love it so much. Gah, you have no idea. I wish I could express my emotions through the Internet lol. Please wait and see still, I hope it all works out and in the end you are happy whether or not you cut it. (:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using CurlTalk App
    *Current Routine*
    LP: SM RSB
    CO/CW: CJ Daily Fix, GR Restorative, SM RSB, SM SFC
    DC: SM, CJ Rehab, G.Nutrafix, DIY
    LI: a CO, KCKT
    Sealers: an oil, JC N&S
    Stylers: just CO, CJ CIAB, KCCC, aloe gel, FSG
    Once in a while: ACV, Lemon-Aid

Oils to seal, rinse, and/or pre-poo as needed :love10:

2c/3a/3b coarse, normal porosity
    :toothy4: CG since 2007 :flower:
    Beautiful hair! But I can see how you would want less volume at the bottom. I agree with JunyJu that your hairdresser would probably be very grateful to know and would want to fix things to please you and keep you as a customer. In the past, I have been very up front with my hairdressers as far as telling them what I want improved, and they have all said THANK YOU for telling them, because they want the chance to fix it. Most hairdressers will be willing to work with you. I hope all goes well!
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Wauwie, I'm blushing over here, thank you so much for the compliments everyone! Literally put a smile on my face when I read it! Makes me appreciate my hair a lot more! Even though I have a love-hate relationship with my hair haha (who doesn't!).

I've definitely noticed today that my hair has been settling, looks a lot better now but it's still way too full at the bottom. Makes me feel like I have this permanent scarf around my neck lol. We'll just have to wait and see, I'll keep you all updated how it turns out!

And oh forgot to tell why I mentioned I had a stylist that was in training, but don't they get in trouble if they have clients that aren't happy? She had 1 year to go and than her boss was going to decide if she could stay or not. I don't want to jeopardize her job because I'm complaining about hair... (yes I'm very empathic lol)
  • rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,355 Curl Connoisseur
    if you decide to go back to that stylist, just say you changed your mind and decided you want some more LONG layers put in. of course, then they might charge you for another cut.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
    Zoeva wrote: »
    Wauwie, I'm blushing over here, thank you so much for the compliments everyone! Literally put a smile on my face when I read it! Makes me appreciate my hair a lot more! Even though I have a love-hate relationship with my hair haha (who doesn't!).

I've definitely noticed today that my hair has been settling, looks a lot better now but it's still way too full at the bottom. Makes me feel like I have this permanent scarf around my neck lol. We'll just have to wait and see, I'll keep you all updated how it turns out!

And oh forgot to tell why I mentioned I had a stylist that was in training, but don't they get in trouble if they have clients that aren't happy? She had 1 year to go and than her boss was going to decide if she could stay or not. I don't want to jeopardize her job because I'm complaining about hair... (yes I'm very empathic lol)

I think that if this gal wants to be a hairdresser, she will sooner or later have to deal with clients being unhappy with their cut and requesting changes. This is how she will learn how to be a better hairdresser--you're actually doing her a favor, although it might not feel like it. :) Also, it's not as if you're going in and complaining about a horrible haircut, with layers all over the place and uneven trimming, etc. I really think that your haircut can probably be fixed without too much trouble.

You can also think of it this way: If this woman is honestly a bad hairdresser, she shouldn't be cutting hair at all, and her boss needs to know that so that she doesn't continue. As long as you're pleasant about the whole thing and don't act angry but just explain that you need some tweaks, all should be good.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file