product suggestions/need new routine help?

nancypants94nancypants94 Registered Users Posts: 26
I've been using devacurl products and have been liking them, but they dont seem to be worth the price point.

where should i go from here? I want to be able to buy my products at like sallys beauty or target.

i was using the no poo, one condish, and the ultra defining gel.

i have my technique down, and it works every time. i have a plethora of products but no idea how to make a routine out of it, so any help is good!!

thank you in advance! :)

Comments

• BelleBohemienneBelleBohemienne Registered Users Posts: 375 Curl Neophyte
    I love the Shea Moisture line, which is available at Wags, Target, Sally's, pretty much every where. Maybe you can check those out.

~Belle Bohemienne
    ~Belle Bohemienne

"If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present." -Lao Tzu
  • nancypants94nancypants94 Registered Users Posts: 26
    ive tried shea moisture, but the styling products for curly hair are too heavy for me. id prefer something similar to the devacurl light defining gel, if possible (:

thank you though!
  • naturecatnaturecat Registered Users Posts: 1,986 Curl Neophyte
    Hmm, well there's Jessicurl, which started being sold at Sally's and which (I believe) is cheaper than Deva. There's also the Kinky Curly line, but I don't know if Sally's or Target sells it; it's at places like Whole Foods. It's expensive but, at least for the KCCC, a little goes a very long way. But each product has its own characteristics, so I don't know if there is something out there that is exactly like Deva.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
    I've seen KCCC at target, always wanted to try it but thought it was a little pricey. And I didn't know jessicurl is at sallys! Kinda wish I didn't! One of the writers on here recommends jessicurl on her YouTube all the time.
    Thank you!
  • wavycurlymesswavycurlymess Registered Users Posts: 48
    I used to like the Deva Light Defining Gel too, I'm trying to transition from deva to cheaper alternatives. I haven't found a low poo I like better than Deva though, so I'm seeing if I can keep the low poo, but swap out the conditioner for something cheaper. I have been using LA Looks Sports Gel and it's been great for summer, but it is much stronger hold than the light defining gel. I've heard good things about herbal essences totally twisted gel too.

I do like KCCC and have bought it at target. It's pricey, but I've had the same tub for a looooong time. You won't need to restock for a while if you like it.
    2B,2C with some 3A curls
    Shoulder-length
    Fine, Thin
    Medium porosity
    Color-treated
  • sabbiasabbia Registered Users Posts: 36
    I have found that the Biotera Styling Gel performs very similarly as the Deva Light Defining Gel. You can find the Biotera line at Sally's. I purchased a 13.5 oz bottle of it for $5.99 at a small Beauty Supply store nearby.
    Fine texture, Avg/high density, high porosity, 2a-2b

Still experimenting. Current products:

Low-Poo: Sukin Moisture Restoring Shampoo
    Cowash: VO5 Kiwi-Lime, Suave Naturals Coconut
    RO: Tresseme Naturals, Matrix Sleek, Sukin Moisture Restoring Cond
    LI/Refresher: SM CE Smoothie
    Stylers: FOTE, LaBella Strong Hold gel, AIF
    DT: SM 10-in-1 Renewal System Hair Masque
    PT: Homemade Gelatin solution
  • ExpectoPatronumExpectoPatronum Registered Users Posts: 143
    I'm a Shea Moisture girl for almost every aspect of my routine. I know their stylers are too heavy for you, but their shampoos are very nice and I love the JBCO masque as a rinse out conditioner. My hair absolutely soaks that stuff up!

For stylers, I know KCCC is expensive, but I use it and do quite like it. I only tap my fingers once or twice on the surface of the product and use that for a section. All in all, I only go into the product four times. Initially, I was going through the product very quickly trying to work out what amounts made me happy. Now that I figured it out, I've hardly made in a dent. I *do* mix it with a harder hold gel, but that's my personal preference. On it's own, it does have a light amount of hold like the light defining gel does. I had a sample of the Deva gel but, I like more hold. All in all, yeah KCCC is pricey, but you really don't need to use a lot.

Shea Moisture also has a "hold and shine moisture mist" that might work for you. It can leave hair looking producty if you use too much, though. A little goes a long way with that one. Personally, I like it to add more hold and control frizz on my second and third day hair.

Though I haven't seen Jessicurl at my local Sally's, I'm able to get it at another local grocery store. Like Deva, I don't particularly find them to be worth the price. Even though I can get them for cheaper at my store than online (I may or may not live very close to Arcata, where Jessicurl is based), you're still talking $14 for 8oz, whereas Deva is $20 for 22oz. Online, I believe Jessicurl is closer to $17. I didn't find the price worth it for the conditioner, which I went through very quickly. It was slightly more worth it for the Rockin' Ringlets and Confident Coils, but I didn't like them that much. I haven't tried her gels - though I would like to - but I believe she has a light hold gel. Maybe from the Aloeba line?

Have you given Suave Naturals conditioner a try as a cowash? It's infinitely cheaper than Deva No-Poo and works very well. I'm not a cowasher but it did work to clean my hair. The As I Am cowash is also nice, and can be found at both Sally's and Target.
    :color: HAIR STATS & ROUTINE :color:
    2c/3a--medium porosity--medium density--medium/coarse
    Cleansers: Shea Moisture Scalp Detox Shampoo, wash ~2x a week
    Conditioners: Cantu Hydrating Cream Conditioner (RO,HG!)
    Stylings: SM Curl and Style Milk (HG), Camille Rose Curl Maker (HG!)
    SOTC: SM Curl and Style Milk
    Oils: Coconut
    Working with waves since April 2015

Have you given the kids line a try? I know SM has some stylers for kids. I started using one the kids conditioners as a co-wash thinking it would be much lighter than the "adult" version and it was. Just a suggestion. You can also dilute gels with either water or some condish. You can also make a spray gel with water and gel which would be lighter. Just some suggestions.

Perhaps if gels are too heavy because they usually tend to be over all, have you tried just conditioner styling. Some curlies can get away with it. I've been experimenting with myself.

~Belle Bohemienne
    ~Belle Bohemienne

"If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present." -Lao Tzu
    Ahh! Thanks for the replies (:

So I have biotera at home, but I won't be home for 2 more weeks. So I'll give that another shot. Since going to the deva salon, I now know how to take care of my hair, so I don't think I was getting the best results because of that.
    If not that, I'm going to go for KCCC. Which I'll probably buy anyway, knowing myself lol.

I think that with the suggestions of KCCC and biotera, I won't get around to jessicurl gel for a bit. Glad to know that it's not really worth it. The price is steep for a conditioner & especially for the size of it!

I have Shea moistures super fruit conditioner, which is great but makes my hair too soft, better as a mask. But I'll try the shampoo(:

Is it ok to use kids? I thought kids products had a different ph since it's usually no tears??

The only issue I have is that scrunching really frizzies my hair out, I do what the people at the devacurl salon recommended, I like lightly coat my hair with gel then get more gel to scrunch. Works really well for me!
    Can I do the same with only conditioner??
  • CaylynnCaylynn Registered Users Posts: 117
    I like the Jessicurl Rockin Ringlets. Around here, it is cheaper than the Deva stuff. My hair really seems to,prefer mousse, though. Giovanni shampoos, conditioners and mousse work well with my hair.
    Canadian - 2A/2B - chin length, med/avg porosity, medium texture, thick density (but thinning)
    Group fitness instructor & marathon runner - need to wash daily
    Low-poo: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat
    Co-wash: Tresemmé Naturals
    RO: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat, Tresemmé Perfectly Undone, Sukin Protein
    LI: Tresemmé Perfectly Undone, Sukin Protein
    Stylers: Tresemmé Perfectly Undone Sea Foam, Andalou Naturals Sunflower & Citrus Gel, Giovanni Naturals Mousse
    I mean, I use mousse for different looks, if that makes sense? HETT mousse works well enough that I'm not looking for another mousse. Jessicurl is priceier though for the small bottle. If I can get it at sallys, I can return always. So here's to hoping for that!
    I have to admit, I know nothing about pH levels and stuff like that. So, that would be something you'll need to look into. Before SM, I was using Spiral Solutions. You can buy that on Etsy. I found it to be too far out of my price range, personally, and the fact I had to order it every month or so was a pain. My hair loved it though.

Have you tried FSG? Has anyone mentioned that? I used to buy mine from Erin at Botticelli Botanicals on Etsy, but she has closed shop. However, I heard it's super easy to make and it's a very light hold gel.

~Belle Bohemienne
    ~Belle Bohemienne

Yeah, maybe I'll try eventually, but ordering online is not ideal. I like to return things if I don't like them. I think SM would be good for wash/conditioner. Thank you(:
  • Barb.WierzbaBarb.Wierzba Registered Users Posts: 3
    Oh yeah scrunch in doesn't work for me either

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file