Hair length and curl formation (for those with fine hair)

Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
I have been considering growing out my hair to shoulder length (it is now currently chin length). For those of you who have worn your hair at both lengths, did you find that you got more curl formation in your fine hair when the hair was longer or when it was shorter? I remember reading in the CG book that since 2a and 2b hair is often flat at the scalp, letting the hair grow longer can create more curls.
Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
RO: IN Harmonic
LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair

Comments

• naturecatnaturecat Registered Users Posts: 1,986 Curl Neophyte
    It really depends on the person. Though my hair curls more at the bottom with tighter curl when it's longer, it pulls flatter at the top. When shorter my hair seems to have more curl throughout the hair, esp the top. I'm not sure it really has to do with hair width, just natural variation in growth pattern.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Registered Users Posts: 1,308 Curl Neophyte
    I wanted to add that it might depend on your layers at shoulder length as well. I chopped my longer hair to shoulder length over a year ago and it bad quite some curl even with minimal layering. My hair is getting on the longer side again and its curly as well. I think everyone is different but I also know it seems to get curly when I have short bangs. It's just odd because it feels like the I have some really tightly curled sections with my hair long. It's confusing lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using CurlTalk App
    *Current Routine*
    LP: SM RSB
    CO/CW: CJ Daily Fix, GR Restorative, SM RSB, SM SFC
    DC: SM, CJ Rehab, G.Nutrafix, DIY
    LI: a CO, KCKT
    Sealers: an oil, JC N&S
    Stylers: just CO, CJ CIAB, KCCC, aloe gel, FSG
    Once in a while: ACV, Lemon-Aid

Oils to seal, rinse, and/or pre-poo as needed :love10:

2c/3a/3b coarse, normal porosity
    :toothy4: CG since 2007 :flower:
  • BelleBohemienneBelleBohemienne Registered Users Posts: 375 Curl Neophyte
    I always get the same type of curls. They funnel at the front and get looser in the back. However, I also have issues with my curls weighing down at the scalp. I usually clip to remedy this.

My hair does not like being too short. It simply will not curl if it's too short, which is chin length or less. I've had hair down to my tailbone a few times and cuts as short as the pixie. My hair is happiest long, so I'm growing out again. Shoulder length is just the most awkward length for me.

~Belle Bohemienne
    ~Belle Bohemienne

"If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present." -Lao Tzu
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    Interesting...sounds like I should maybe just keep growing it out and see what happens.

I was able to get more volume at the top this winter (I was clipping), but in the summer, any volume from clips is gone within about two hours. Ack.
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
  • MeiMei Registered Users Posts: 259 Curl Neophyte
    WAY more when it was longer.
    Multicultural (Caucasian/Filipina)
    2b/2c - f - iii - low porosity - normal elasticity
    Holy Grail: Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair
    I rotate through the rest of my products depending on weather and etc but usually don't need them
    I try not to use products tested on animals if I can help it.
    Link: Updated hair picture January 2017
  • BabyfineBabyfine Registered Users Posts: 149 Curl Novice
    In my case, yes. My hair curls(or waves) best between shoulder length and BSL. I've tried to grow it out longer to see if the ends would curl up even more but because my hair is so fine, (and color treated) I usually get frustrated with the thinner ends and cut it back to shoulder.
    No way will I go shorter than that because my hair looks much straighter when it's shorter than shoulder length.
    I'm looking for more curl, body, volume, and shine-a miracle really.
    Poos" Nioxin, Devacurl, Jessicurl
    Leave in: Ouidad Moisture Lock/B'leavein
    Rinse out: VO5 Kiwi Lime, Mane and Tail,Too Shea
    Mousse: Oscar Blandi Hair Life, Ouidad Playcurl
    Gel: Devacurl Light defining gel
    This is all very interesting. I hadn't realized there would be so much variation! I am encouraged to keep growing it out. The last time I really tried to grow my hair out was third grade, so I am due to try again! :) It will be fun to see if I get more curl.
  • ExpectoPatronumExpectoPatronum Registered Users Posts: 143
    Unstretched, my hair is around BSL. Stretched, it's very close to being waist length.

I don't find my curls don't look drastically different when they're shorter versus longer. I like how they look when my hair is longer though. When my hair is short, I come off looking "cute." When my hair is longer, it looks more wild. Longer hair just suits my personality more.

So, there's that to consider too. :p
    :color: HAIR STATS & ROUTINE :color:
    2c/3a--medium porosity--medium density--medium/coarse
    Cleansers: Shea Moisture Scalp Detox Shampoo, wash ~2x a week
    Conditioners: Cantu Hydrating Cream Conditioner (RO,HG!)
    Stylings: SM Curl and Style Milk (HG), Camille Rose Curl Maker (HG!)
    SOTC: SM Curl and Style Milk
    Oils: Coconut
    Working with waves since April 2015

I don't find my curls don't look drastically different when they're shorter versus longer. I like how they look when my hair is longer though. When my hair is short, I come off looking "cute." When my hair is longer, it looks more wild. Longer hair just suits my personality more.

So, there's that to consider too. :p

Ha ha! Good point. I have very youthful-looking features, so having my hair shorter might indeed contribute to that "cute" factor. I know that if I were to get my hair cut extremely short, I would probably look like I was in college (I'm 42). I'm not wild, but I might like to give that impression! :)
  • wavydazewavydaze Registered Users Posts: 2,065 Curl Novice
    More curl with longer hair for me.
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list