I have questions for freelancers!

RimiRimi Registered Users Posts: 2,001 Curl Neophyte
Hi everyone :)

I'm a design student and I'm getting ready to start freelancing. A friend of mine is going to be the editor of a local magazine, and she would like me to do the graphic design work for the covers. Before getting started, I want to make sure that we both sign a contract.

How do you come up with your rates? How do you determine if you should charge an hourly fee or a project fee? How do you make sure that you get paid for each of these options?

Do you adjust rates for family and friends vs. new and long-term clients? If so, how?
21 y/o lifelong natural {4a-O ; spongy ; coarse ; dense ; MBL stretched}

products {'poo: TJTTT shampoo | RO: TJTTT Condish | LI/style: TJTTT Condish, homemade cocoa butter cream | DC: condish + ayurvedic powder(s), Aussie 3MMM Treatment | PT: condish + NPF | oils: castor oil, grapeseed oil | other treatments: probiotics, tea rinses, AVG rinse/spritz, oil rinse | sealing method: LC sometimes O}

long-term: HL stretched, BSL unstretched

CG-friendly Products List!

Comments

• eveumeveum Registered Users Posts: 744 Curl Neophyte
    Hey Rimi!

Hope you don't mind me replying here. I am not a freelancer or a design student but I have recently studied a module in my accountancy studies that included a topic covering what you should do if you decide to start your own business or do any freelance work. Here are some tips I have pulled out of my text book:

Fees usually calculated on:

-Skill and Knowledge needed
    -Level of training and experience needed
    -Time taken to carry out assignment
    -Level of responsibility that the work entails.

Ways to charge fees:

-Fixed rate (for a project)
    -Hourly rate
    -Contingent fees/percentage fees (probably not applicable)

I agree that you should both sign a contract or a letter of engagement before you do any work for her, outlining yours and her respective responsibilities, details about your fee structure (be as clear as possible), the nature/scope of the work etc.

Please also don't forget to charge back any business expenses you may incur by completing the project work :) You could either charge these back or absorb them into your hourly/fixed rate fee. I am not sure if I am being too businessy about this (as she is your friend) so you can tell me to shut up if you like, but on your invoice/receipt, make sure you include where and how to pay, such as if you accept cash, please make cheques payable to "...", or your bank sort code and account number if applicable. A good idea is to include your terms too, whether you want fees to be payable on receipt, or within 7/30 days etc.

She is your friend but it is also your time and therefore your money that you'll be putting into this. So I would be as risk free as possible by making the whole process as professional and clear as you can possibly be so you both have clarity and can avoid any misunderstandings.

Found this article here for different methods of charging fees.
    https://blog.bidsketch.com/clients/hourly-vs-fixed/

Where I work we usually charge a fixed rate on almost everything except bookkeeping work or one-off jobs that we have been asked to do by the client. I would agree that with the article in that fixed rates usually have a more positive psychological aspect to them. I guess you have to have a good idea of how long it will take you to complete a project so you can do cost analysis before doing that though.

Low Shampoo: Aveda Be Curly Shampoo
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture/ Perfectly Undone
    Treatments: SM Black Castor Oil Masque/ Packet Gelatine
    Leave in: Redken Diamond Oil Conditioner
    Styling: AG Recoil Curl Activator/V05 Mega Hold/Cornstarch
    Refresh: Redken Fresh Curls Curl Boost

Between Waist and Hip Length (stretched), 2C with 2B roots
  • RimiRimi Registered Users Posts: 2,001 Curl Neophyte
    Eveum, you're such a doll.

Thanks so much for taking the time to go through your book! This was all very helpful. I completely forgot about including an invoice, so I will be sure to do that as well.

I am definitely not worried about being too business-y. She will be my first client, so I want to start off on the right foot and have all of my contract templates and rates and things in place for when I get more clients.

Thanks for including the article! I'll read it right now!

❤️

products {'poo: TJTTT shampoo | RO: TJTTT Condish | LI/style: TJTTT Condish, homemade cocoa butter cream | DC: condish + ayurvedic powder(s), Aussie 3MMM Treatment | PT: condish + NPF | oils: castor oil, grapeseed oil | other treatments: probiotics, tea rinses, AVG rinse/spritz, oil rinse | sealing method: LC sometimes O}

UPDATE: We couldn't make a deal. The budget she's working with is just too small. The bright side of this is now I'm going to just go ahead and get my professional materials in order, so that when I eventually have a client, I'll be prepared.

Thanks again! <3

• eveumeveum Registered Users Posts: 744 Curl Neophyte
    Well that's a shame Rimi. :(

At least you are getting organised and prepared for clients and I'm glad you're comfortable knowing what your time/work is worth and aren't willing to undersell yourself. 😊

Low Shampoo: Aveda Be Curly Shampoo
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture/ Perfectly Undone
    Treatments: SM Black Castor Oil Masque/ Packet Gelatine
    Leave in: Redken Diamond Oil Conditioner
    Styling: AG Recoil Curl Activator/V05 Mega Hold/Cornstarch
    Refresh: Redken Fresh Curls Curl Boost

Between Waist and Hip Length (stretched), 2C with 2B roots
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Registered Users Posts: 9,777 Curl Virtuoso
    Good luck, Rimi. Sounds exciting.
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
    Thanks, Lotsa!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file