Breakage

Rudy1021Rudy1021 Posts: 26Registered Users
Hi there
I have I think 4b/4c hair with the exception of the back of my hair which is a very loose wave pattern. I am DC twice a week I pre poo/shampoo once a week I use leave ins finger detangle and use EVOO to seal in my moisturizer yet I still experiencing breakage. All you see is little coils all over the sink in my gel/moisturizer. Every time I touch my hair whether it's to wash it style is or anything it's just coming out. Now I am in the sun for maybe 3-4 hours a day but I make sure to put extra leave in and oil in my hair.

Comments

• BelleBohemienneBelleBohemienne Posts: 375Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Just to start, I want to say that I do not have hair like yours, so I have a different battle, but here are my suggestions:

Firstly, when was the last time you had a haircut? You could be experience split ends splitting up the shaft of the hair. If it's been a while, my first piece of advice is to go to a stylist for a good cut. You should be working with healthy hair.

Secondly, I have a friend that has hair just like yours, she is constantly conditioning her hair. It's second nature to her. And she can really saturate her hair because it'll quickly absorb the conditoner in an hour or so. That may be an option.

Thirdly, have you tried a protein treatment? It can really help strengthen fine hair.

Fourth, I would try a heated oil treatment on the hair to get in moisture, but not too hot because that cause more damage. FYI, many salons offer these treatments in house, so you can call around and ask.

Fifth, we're all meant to lose about 100 hairs, give or take, in a given day. So, you can't base unhealthy hair solely on what falls out because what falls out is meant to. You need to look at your curls and see if any look damaged or split or dry.

~Belle Bohemienne
    ~Belle Bohemienne

"If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present." -Lao Tzu
  • Rudy1021Rudy1021 Posts: 26Registered Users
    Belle bohemienne,
    I thank u for your response I'll work backwards 5 they aren't splitting just breaking off... I am not a fan of hot oil treatments leaves my hair weighed down... No I haven't tried a protein treatment... Just like your friend I'm constantly conditioning being that I'm constantly in direct sunlight... Really good suggestions I guess te only one I haven't tried is the protein treatment thanks a toodles
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Some breakage is normal but if it's excessive then time to look for the cause. Rough handling, overmanipulation, moisture to protein balance is off, excessive dryness, snags from clothes, accessories. the list goes on.

There is a such thing as overconditioning your hair. I have done it. hair w
    ill feel mushy and it can lead to beakage if you don't get protein balnce back. I spend a lot of time in sun too. The heat will dry my hair out quicker. I find keeping it in a bun and using refresher sprays helps me. You might consider a product with spf protection. Although there are drawbacks to ecostyler gel that is one of the perks.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
    My hair tends to be really dry I can do a great DC and moisturize but after a couple hours is back dry....it's not mushy on the contrary it sometimes has a brillo feel to it lol. But a protein treatment sound good.. and I think my hair too short for a bun I can barely get it into a pony. Quick question what is rephresher spray
    Rudy1021 wrote: »
    My hair tends to be really dry I can do a great DC and moisturize but after a couple hours is back dry....it's not mushy on the contrary it sometimes has a brillo feel to it lol. But a protein treatment sound good.. and I think my hair too short for a bun I can barely get it into a pony. Quick question what is rephresher spray

A refresher spray is something you spritz your hair with between washings to "refresh" and moisturze the curls.. I have to use one every day because my hair needs water every day. Some people make their own. Theybuy a spritz bottle and put in water and whatever mixture works better for them be it conditioner, oil, glycerin. You can also buy them. I use Jane Carter and Uncle Funky' thirsty curls. I think there are some threads listing different brands people lke and I have seen yt videos on people who make their own.

If your hair is drying out in a couple of hours it could be the moisture is not penetrating tbe strand or if it is it could be escaping quickly. Sounds like may be that you have high porosity hair.You might check that section for advice. I'm opposite. have low porosity hair so I have to use heat to open the cuticle to get moisture in. So my preepoo is a hot oil treatment. Having lp and fine hair My most common cause of dryness is buildup. Keep in mind although you use certain types of products doesn't mean those specific products work well for your hair or that they don't need to be used in rotation. For example if you use products with certain ingredients not every shampoo is going to remove it from your hair. So as you add product you just end up with layer after layer to where your strands are coated and unable to absorb moisture. Hence dry hair. The biggest culprit is silicones which is why I'm CG but PVP for me is also an issue. Also not every li works well for my hair. You might want to experiment and even try the LOC method.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
    Thank you I will do some research on this refresher spray that may be the boost I need in between DC
  • pinkycurlypinkycurly Posts: 26Registered Users
    That used to happen to me.trim your hair or if you don't want to lose so much length try dusting your ends.use a protein deep conditioner(organics replenishing conditioner works well for me) if that doesn't work try a moisture based deep conditioner(Eden body works deep conditioner)I mostly alternate with both.try putting your hair in twists or other protective styles.i wish you the best.oh you can also try to make sure you hair is stretched before styling,it prevents tangles and reduces breakage.i mostly braid to stretch out my hair but you can also twist or use the banding method

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file