Darren Wilson outs himself as racist

wavypenwavypen Registered Users Posts: 253 Curl Neophyte
I really don't think that's a big surprise.

Darren Wilson gave an interview to the New Yorker where he reveals himself to be racist. I've seen a lot of criticism of the article because they think it's sympathetic to Darren Wilson, I don't think it is, I think he incriminates himself and interviewer let him and probably encouraged it. It does portray him as three dimensional, but he always was that, since he's a person. Unfortunately I think the article will probably increase donations to him.

The article goes into detail about Wilson's history, including his participation in the institutionalized racism in Jennings and Ferguson and questionable, likely unconstitutional behavior on his part before he killed Mike Brown (like profiling). His views about lots of things, including his views on the police issue being debated now (he thinks it's not about race), race and that he thinks it's no longer important and that people use it as an excuse and how he feels no remorse for killing Brown. Here are a few quotes (bolding mine):
“They ran all over the mom. They didn’t respect her, so why would they respect me?” He added, “They’re so wrapped up in a different culture than—what I’m trying to say is, the right culture, the better one to pick from.
Wilson told me that Ferguson’s force had a few bigoted members, but he denied that racism was institutional. The Justice Department’s numbers were “skewed,”
In our many discussions, Wilson rarely spoke of Michael Brown. Twice, I asked him if he had reflected on what kind of person Brown was. The first time I asked, it was early May, and Brown’s parents had just filed their civil lawsuit against him. “You do realize that his parents are suing me?” he said. “So I have to think about him.” He went on, “Do I think about who he was as a person? Not really, because it doesn’t matter at this point. Do I think he had the best upbringing? No. Not at all.” His tone was striking, given Wilson’s own turbulent childhood.
At one point, I asked Wilson if he missed walking outside and going to restaurants. He told me that he still ate out, but only at certain places. “We try to go somewhere—how do I say this correctly?—with like-minded individuals,” he said. “You know. Where it’s not a mixing pot.

I left out some of the things he said during his grand jury testimony (demon, bulking up etc) that were quoted in this article, because it's not new information.

Comments

• Fifi.GFifi.G Registered Users Posts: 15,490 Curl Neophyte
    Never met the dude so I can't say for sure but the Gawker article I read yesterday did some heavy reading between the lines. He did not admit or come out as being racist, as the title of many articles imply, but he also did not word everything to perfection. Would he ever be able to?

Considering people had death threats out on him and dollar signs above his head for some time, I don't blame him for staying around (quoting him) like minded people, as odd as that sounds. I would not exactly be up for walking thru the neighborhood there. You might as well shoot yourself in the head.

Honest question, is saying gang culture racist? I am pretty sure that is what he was thinking, and no. No where near every bit of the younger generations in inner cities are wrapped up in it (I do believe his friend, the young man he was with that day who actually put the cigarettes back, had a known history of it) but sadly some are. It's a fact and a well known one for some time. One many have a hard time escaping.

**100% honest opinion... I don't think all of the cases in the news boil down to flat out racism. Is that saying some are not? No. So many happen so fast. It comes down to split second decisions. The news focuses on cases they can easily frame racist because it fits into the narrative and movements about black vs white/white vs black (even when the neighborhood watch person (not police) or officer is Hispanic such as crazy Zimmerman and the officer who pulled Sandra Bland). There are male and female officers of every color who have questions raised about excessive force against someone of every color. Questions are raised and investigated in these situations too and not all of them easily boil down to racism.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wavypenwavypen Registered Users Posts: 253 Curl Neophyte
    People don't have to be frothing at the mouth shouting racial slurs to be racist, most racists are more subtle than that and most won't straight up admit racism. I read this article before I read any of the commentary on it, and my take was, this guy didn't just work for (and participate in) a PD with institutionalized racism, he is definitely racist himself. Although I thought that after reading a transcript of his grand jury evidence, this just made it even more clear. I also found his attitude about having killed a person disturbing, even if a killing was 100% self-defense, justifiable (and I'm not saying Mike Brown's killing was), not feeling any kind of regret or remorse for having taken a human life is deeply disturbing.
    wavypen wrote: »
    People don't have to be frothing at the mouth shouting racial slurs to be racist, most racists are more subtle than that and most won't straight up admit racism. I read this article before I read any of the commentary on it, and my take was, this guy didn't just work for (and participate in) a PD with institutionalized racism, he is definitely racist himself. Although I thought that after reading a transcript of his grand jury evidence, this just made it even more clear. I also found his attitude about having killed a person disturbing, even if a killing was 100% self-defense, justifiable (and I'm not saying Mike Brown's killing was), not feeling any kind of regret or remorse for having taken a human life is deeply disturbing.

I do see what you are saying there. He could be void of all emotions and feelings. I can't say we have had many officer involved shootings where I live. Hardly any, in many many many years. Both were necessary and both officers had a very hard time at first. They had to eventually say I did what I had to do, compartmentalize and keep on going with the job. Soldiers have to do the same. Push it away, I did what I had to do, and go on doing what they have to do. It will screw with them beyond belief. My father called one of the officers involved in a shooting in my county and offered him an ear if he ever needed to talk because he knows you do what you have to do. Darren does not have to do this. He is not working as an officer anymore but I wonder if he did anyway or if he is just plain heartless.

Some may call me heartless. I have never taken anyone's life and hope I never have to for any reason but I know others who have and I have no issues knowing that they did what they had to do. A man I love with all my heart is a prime example. 14 years for 2nd degree murder (n/m that all the physical evidence came back to a public officials child who only got 4 years, served two so yeah I know the justice system can be unfair too) but I have less of an issue with it than he does. He would not be alive if it would not have happened and the "victim" was a cold hearted dealer who had murdered more than one person in my town and ripped untold numbers of families apart in every possible way while slinging poison. Better that PoS than him. I am flat out cold when it comes to it.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    Fifi.G wrote: »

Honest question, is saying gang culture racist? I am pretty sure that is what he was thinking, and no. No where near every bit of the younger generations in inner cities are wrapped up in it (I do believe his friend, the young man he was with that day who actually put the cigarettes back, had a known history of it) but sadly some are. It's a fact and a well known one for some time. One many have a hard time escaping.

Did he mean gang culture or did he mean African American culture? IDK...prbly better for him to be vague like that.

Honestly, I was expecting worse in the article. All that I got (skimmed some spots) was that he no longer eats at restaurants that are patronized by Blacks...ostensibly bc he doesn't want to be harassed. And that he realized early on that he felt uncomfortable and intimidated working in largely Black areas.

(He needs to just move. Change his name and/or move and thank God he still has life and freedom.)

Did he mean gang culture or did he mean African American culture? IDK...prbly better for him to be vague like that.

Honestly, I was expecting worse in the article. All that I got (skimmed some spots) was that he no longer eats at restaurants that are patronized by Blacks...ostensibly bc he doesn't want to be harassed. And that he realized early on that he felt uncomfortable and intimidated working in largely Black areas.

(He needs to just move. Change his name and/or move and thank God he still has life and freedom.)

Right? I did too, based on the titles I was seeing.

I could not blame him for saying this after the way it went down, and that's speaking on the actions of some caught on tape or recording. They immediately had to rush him out of the area, people were shooting guns in the street and in their yards as crime scene units and detectives were trying to work the call, the media constantly fabricated reports (a lot of it based edited or partial clips on YouTube), people were fabricating audio of gun shots, the story that Mike had his back turned and arms up when he was shot quickly spread (when forensics did not match this story), the media was irresponsible as all get out, crowds gathered outside of the police department demanding that Wilson be turned over to them for mob justice, death threats went out, he was in hiding for some time, hackers were releasing the wrong info about people they believed to be him just a few hours after and they had to go into hiding while security details were placed on their families homes... I would not be eating there anytime, ever. I would not be comfortable in that situation again, ever. You are right, thankfully he still has a life to live but I would not doubt all of the events made him a bit colder about things. We all watched on the tv, no one knew Mike Brown or his family. That was happening to him and others not even involved. Pretty normal reaction to what followed.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso

Right? I did too, based on the titles I was seeing.

I could not blame him for saying this after the way it went down, and that's speaking on the actions of some caught on tape or recording. They immediately had to rush him out of the area, people were shooting guns in the street and in their yards as crime scene units and detectives were trying to work the call, the media constantly fabricated reports (a lot of it based edited or partial clips on YouTube), people were fabricating audio of gun shots, the story that Mike had his back turned and arms up when he was shot quickly spread (when forensics did not match this story), the media was irresponsible as all get out, crowds gathered outside of the police department demanding that Wilson be turned over to them for mob justice, death threats went out, he was in hiding for some time, hackers were releasing the wrong info about people they believed to be him just a few hours after and they had to go into hiding while security details were placed on their families homes... I would not be eating there anytime, ever. I would not be comfortable in that situation again, ever. You are right, thankfully he still has a life to live but I would not doubt all of the events made him about colder about things. We all watched on the tv, no one knew Mike Brown or his family. That was happening to him. Pretty normal reaction to what followed.

I'm not saying he's racist or not. Or that his feelings are justified or not. (I have a LOT of trouble justifying his actions when Mike Brown was not armed, regardless of what the crime report states.) I just think the article was pretty tame and almost sympathetic.

He knew he wasn't comfortable working around Black ppl and his superiors should have caught onto this and addressed it somehow. You can't have a cop so ill-at-ease w/ the civilian residents.

• curlyarcacurlyarca Registered Users Posts: 8,449 Curl Connoisseur
    He comes off as not only (at a minimum) implicitly racist but also ignorant and more than a little cavalier about it all. Must be nice.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.
  • wavypenwavypen Registered Users Posts: 253 Curl Neophyte
    I'm not saying he's racist or not. Or that his feelings are justified or not. (I have a LOT of trouble justifying his actions when Mike Brown was not armed, regardless of what the crime report states.) I just think the article was pretty tame and almost sympathetic.

He knew he wasn't comfortable working around Black ppl and his superiors should have caught onto this and addressed it somehow. You can't have a cop so ill-at-ease w/ the civilian residents.

Given the institutionalized racism in the jurisdictions he worked in I doubt they cared about how comfortable he way with the local population, as long as he met his quota.

The article has been heavily criticized for being sympathetic, my take on it is that he's portrayed as three-dimensional, but not much positive is said about him, and the author of the article clearly thinks there's a problem, but may be trying to avoid sounding biased (so instead he sounds quite privileged). I also wondered if something this soft was what was required in order for Wilson to grant the interview, if that's the case why not go with the right wing media, they've been supporting him all along.

In terms of the wrong culture comment, I left it out, but he clarifies that the culture he is talking about is inner city culture. And that's usually a code word. Also about the eating with like-minded people, I've only ever heard white people refer to other white people in this sort of context as like-minded when it was a racist talking about other racists (the minds are like about race issues). I get that he's scared, but as Spider points out he could change his name and move and he is free and alive. When you add those things to his characterization of Brown as a Demon and bulking up to run through bullets, his denial that race matters and characterization of black people as lazy for being unemployed, I really cannot come to any other conclusion but racism.

Also yeah and the killing of Mike Brown, I've had a lot of discussions about this, including with people who supported the police and Wilson (ok those were arguments), and like most of the other incidents, this (Brown's killing) did not have to happen and this really cannot be justified, especially in light of what's going on on a larger scale.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file