Creamy Crack Is All Too Tempting

LoveTheSkinImInLoveTheSkinImIn Registered Users Posts: 9
X

Comments

• curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    Hello Lovetheskinimin,

I'm not sure I understand why putting your hair in braids or kinky twists as your stylist suggested is defeating the purpose of learning to embrace your own hair.

Are those styles that you don't like or you feel they aren't flattering? I know when I do a roller set (instead of wearing it curly) I sometimes feel badly, as though I'm not embracing my curls so maybe that's similar to what you are feeling, but really, embracing our curls shouldn't mean we can't change up our style now and then.

I think as long as we aren't doing something unhealthy to our hair, we are embracing it! Anyway, I hope others chime in.

Welcome to the forum!
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • LoveTheSkinImInLoveTheSkinImIn Registered Users Posts: 9
    I think it's the idea of adding hair instead of just wearing my own. I spent two years with my hair tucked away under a sew-in. The point of me taking the extensions out was to be able to wear my own hair and to move towards the realization that I didn't need bone straight or hair full of body to be beautiful. I was happy to put my hair away the first time because I saw nothing beautiful about my kinky hair. After many tears, a love-hate relationship, and disappointments, it grew on me like fungus. It has taken a few years for me to finally start liking my natural hair. And to think that I'm likely going to have put it up again just isn't appealing.

It just seems like my hair is regressing as opposed to progressing. What she's telling me is, "Put your hair away again to let it grow." What I'm hearing is, my hair is incapable of growing the way I want without extensions of some kind. If that's the case, what am I doing wrong? Am I supposed to keep my hair away under protective styles forever to encourage growth? If so, I feel like I can't win for losing.

Kinky twists just don't seem like they would be flattering on me. I've never been a huge fan of braids. I've let her braid and design my hair into faux-hawks and everything else, but the individual braids with Femi or whatever kind of hair just aren't my cup of tea. Maybe I just haven't seen the right type of braids. I shall look!

Thank you, CurlyPearl!
  • GlamourstruckkGlamourstruckk Registered Users Posts: 312 Curl Connoisseur
    Hmmm...this is curious. What is your hair regimen--products included? I'd hate to see you give up before your hair unveils its true awesomeness!

Kayla

Youtube - Website
    4b/Density:iii/Strands:Fine, MBL
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    Hey Lovetheskinimin, I didn't understand that you would be adding hair to your own hair. If you are saying that, then I see your point better.

I just wish you good luck and hope you find a solution that makes you happy. Please post back and let us know.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
    Hmmm...this is curious. What is your hair regimen--products included? I'd hate to see you give up before your hair unveils its true awesomeness!

I wash about every 5 or so days. By day 5, it starts flaking around the edges. For the co-wash, I use Carol's Daughter Hair Milk. For the deep conditioner, I use CD's Black Vanilla Smoothie. Then, I do an oil rinse with a mix of heated liquid coconut oil and Okay African Shea Butter. I apply it in sections from root to tip, and I put on a shower cap to let it sit for usually an hour because I'll start doing something. I rinse it out with cold water. I use CD's Hair Milk Leave-in Conditioner. For the twists and styling, I use CD's Hair Milk Pudding or CD's Mimosa Hair Honey. I like the hair honey because my twists shine, and it's really light. I usually have a bobby pin or two to pin some of it back and out of my face or I wear headbands or scarves..

I see nothing awesome about this mess on my head. Right now, it's stretched out because I finger combed the twists out, so I have a decent looking afro of sorts. From November 2013 to the present, my hair has only grown about an inch. What I don't get is that it's not coming out. Surely, I'd see it down the drain or in the t-shirt I use to dry my hair or even on the floor.
  • lolo918lolo918 Registered Users Posts: 729 Curl Neophyte
    Hi LoveTheSkinImIn, I have a lot of questions and one statement. First, your hair is always growing, what tends to cause problems is when you don't retain that length that you grow. My first question is what do you do to moisturize between washes? Natural hair is dry, and needs a lot of moisture.

My second is have you ever tried washing more frequently? I only ask because after I went natural (and even relaxed if I wanted my hair really fresh smelling during the week), I need to wash more than once a week. My hair thrives when it gets completely wet every 2-3 days. When I have buildup I use shampoo/condition, sometimes I cowash/condition, and other times I rinse really well with water and my fingertips only, then style.

My third is that you say you dust and trim, so my question is do you do both of those things, and how often do you do this? I hope not though, since doing both would defeat the purpose of letting your hair grow. You may be able to get away with going longer between trims, and if your are already going a long time between them it may help to do it more often. My hair shows no length retention if I go longer than 4 months between trims- I end up having to cut all the growth off.

Lastly, have you tried adding occasional protein to your regimen if your products currently don't have it? I feel like a broken record sometimes but protein was one of those game changers for my hair so it's one of those things I always think of. I started with monthly treatments, then moved to twice monthly treatments, then 3 out of 4 weeks doing treatments, and for awhile did monthly treatments until my hair started feeling a little hard when I rinsed them out. The other game changer for me was learning about humectants. My favorites are film forming ones- flaxseed gel being my number one always pretty much in my regimen.
    3C/4A, fine texture, low-medium density, and low porosity
    CG since November 2013.

Pre-Poo: infrequent now, Coconut Oil overnight
    Shampoo: Curls unleashed/for occasional sulfate wash when needed, everlasting sunshine.
    Conditioner: Suave Naturals Everlasting Sunshine and GVP's conditioning balm.
    Styler: iagirl's flaxseed curl cream or gelatin gel/conditioner mix. <3
    PT: iagirl's gelatin treatment 3-4 times a month, with conditioner/honey/avj
  • adthomasadthomas Registered Users Posts: 5,525 Curl Neophyte
    I agree with Lolo. Your problem isn't growth. It's not retaining length. Like her I can't go more than 3 days without drenching my hair in water. For some people once a week is good. Not me. I'm of the mind if something isn't working try something else. My hair in the summer is more difficult to keep hydrated so I have had to do a lot of experimenting. But then my relaxed hair was also a pain in the summer. Protein moisture balance is a must and finding that balance is different for different people. My hair is protein sensitive and I don't do protein treatments. I get enough from using rinseouts with protein and doing henna/cassia which mimics protein.

Also I don't see what you shampoo or clarify your hair and scalp with. I have scalp issues so I find I have to be about that shampoo life to deal with flaking. I alternte between shampoo bars and a shampoo I have that has teatree and peppermint oil. Also not having a clean scalp will afftect growth. I find CD products kind of greasy so it you are never shampooing you could have gunk on your scalp.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
    lolo918 wrote: »
    Hi LoveTheSkinImIn, I have a lot of questions and one statement. First, your hair is always growing, what tends to cause problems is when you don't retain that length that you grow. My first question is what do you do to moisturize between washes? Natural hair is dry, and needs a lot of moisture.

I can't put anything on my scalp, but I do use coconut oil or shea butter or my actual hair. My hair definitely isn't dry. It's very thick and moisturized surprisingly. Now, is it Coming to America, dripping like a curl juicy? No, but the moisture is visible on the strands and to the touch. I can run my fingers thru it and see the oil on my hands. I live in the hot box that is Louisiana, so not moisturizing my hair isn't an option.
    My second is have you ever tried washing more frequently? I only ask because after I went natural (and even relaxed if I wanted my hair really fresh smelling during the week), I need to wash more than once a week. My hair thrives when it gets completely wet every 2-3 days. When I have buildup I use shampoo/condition, sometimes I cowash/condition, and other times I rinse really well with water and my fingertips only, then style.

No. I try to do as little as possible because this is the longest period that my dermatitis has been under control. I have an ongoing hate-hate battle with shampoos. Most, leave my hair feeling rough and coarse. I've experimented with many kinds over the past three years. Most have failed. I can tell when something doesn't agree with my hair as I'm washing it because it goes from relatively soft to feeling tough. When I use CD, I can see my curls and my hair doesn't get tangled. It's soft and fairly easy to style. Any suggestions on shampoos?
    My third is that you say you dust and trim, so my question is do you do both of those things, and how often do you do this? I hope not though, since doing both would defeat the purpose of letting your hair grow. You may be able to get away with going longer between trims, and if your are already going a long time between them it may help to do it more often. My hair shows no length retention if I go longer than 4 months between trims- I end up having to cut all the growth off.

My stylist and I can't seem to agree. I prefer dusting as needed and trimming when necessary. After finger combing out my twists yesterday, I know I need to trim. It has been about four weeks since my last trim. She says that I need to trim every two weeks, and I've yet to subscribe to that notion. Trimming every two weeks seems like overkill and like it would defeat the purpose. Like I'm just trimming for the fun of it.
    Lastly, have you tried adding occasional protein to your regimen if your products currently don't have it? I feel like a broken record sometimes but protein was one of those game changers for my hair so it's one of those things I always think of. I started with monthly treatments, then moved to twice monthly treatments, then 3 out of 4 weeks doing treatments, and for awhile did monthly treatments until my hair started feeling a little hard when I rinsed them out. The other game changer for me was learning about humectants. My favorites are film forming ones- flaxseed gel being my number one always pretty much in my regimen.

No, I haven't. I'll have to look in to adding protein and finding flaxseed gel. I remember reading something about humectants, but that was a minute ago.

Thank you!
    Some of the other posters touched on it but you may be experiencing buildup. I looked up the ingredients to each of the products you use and in between the heavy oils/butters, silicones, and mainly co-washing, your hair may just need to be clarified. I recommend clarifying your hair with a sulfate shampoo then incorporating occasional shampooing in your regimen.

Also, there is some protein in the Carol's Daughter products but not much. Perhaps you can rotate back and forth between a moisturizing and strengthening deep conditioner.

Our hair frizzes up when it isn't moisturized and fails to show length when there is imbalance between protein and moisture.

Kayla

Youtube - Website
    adthomas wrote: »
    I agree with Lolo. Your problem isn't growth. It's not retaining length. Like her I can't go more than 3 days without drenching my hair in water. For some people once a week is good. Not me. I'm of the mind if something isn't working try something else. My hair in the summer is more difficult to keep hydrated so I have had to do a lot of experimenting. But then my relaxed hair was also a pain in the summer. Protein moisture balance is a must and finding that balance is different for different people. My hair is protein sensitive and I don't do protein treatments. I get enough from using rinseouts with protein and doing henna/cassia which mimics protein.

It very well might be retaining length. I just feel like I don't have enough hair to be worried about washing every 3 days. I agree that change is good. Washing every 3 days would just drive me crazy. If I had to do that, I would stop styling my hair. It's frustrating enough, and it might be that I've hit a wall/rut and just need a break. I'm not familiar with henna/cassia. Something else for me to research.
    Also I don't see what you shampoo or clarify your hair and scalp with. I have scalp issues so I find I have to be about that shampoo life to deal with flaking. I alternte between shampoo bars and a shampoo I have that has teatree and peppermint oil. Also not having a clean scalp will afftect growth. I find CD products kind of greasy so it you are never shampooing you could have gunk on your scalp.

I'm still searching for a shampoo that won't leave my hair feeling like sandpaper while using it. The mix of textures has caused much strife and many headaches. It hasn't been easy to find one line of products that works for my head. What works for the crown doesn't look good in the front, back, and sometimes the sides, and it doesn't blend. The struggle has been real. I used something by Shea Moisture to clarify when I washed my hair on Sunday. I'm not at home right now, so I can't recall the full name. One of my colleagues recommended it. It is one of the very few that didn't leave me wanting to scream at how my hair was feeling while being washed.

Thank you!
    adthomas wrote: »

It very well might be retaining length. I just feel like I don't have enough hair to be worried about washing every 3 days. I agree that change is good. Washing every 3 days would just drive me crazy. If I had to do that, I would stop styling my hair. It's frustrating enough, and it might be that I've hit a wall/rut and just need a break. I'm not familiar with henna/cassia. Something else for me to research.
    I'm still searching for a shampoo that won't leave my hair feeling like sandpaper while using it. The mix of textures has caused much strife and many headaches. It hasn't been easy to find one line of products that works for my head. What works for the crown doesn't look good in the front, back, and sometimes the sides, and it doesn't blend. The struggle has been real. I used something by Shea Moisture to clarify when I washed my hair on Sunday. I'm not at home right now, so I can't recall the full name. One of my colleagues recommended it. It is one of the very few that didn't leave me wanting to scream at how my hair was feeling while being washed.

Thank you!

It was probably the SM clarification mask. It works pretty good for me too but I stopped using it to use all natural shampoo bars.

One I use is from a company called Bobeam. Laquita is very nice and her prices are reasonable. I know how you feel because my scalp is a much bigger fan of shampoo than my hair is. Because of that I feel like it's a waste of time using any shampoo that isn't formulated to benefit my scalp. To help my hair out, I have found the way I shampoo my hair is as important as what I use. I coat and detangle my dry hair with oil. Then I shampoo at the roots only. The one store bought shampoo I will use I actually put a teaspoon in an applicator bottle and dilute it the rest as water and go in at the root. I saw your other post about being able to feel the moisturization in your hair because of the oil on your fingers. That is not a sign that your hair is moisturized. It's a sign that your hair is greasy. That could be the culprit of buildup. Moisture comes from water. Our hair needs water. Some like Lolo and me need it more often than others. That's just the way our hair is. When you are willing to listen to your hair and give your hair what it needs instead of trying to make it do what you want it to do, you two will get along a lot better believe me.. Although I use oil in my hair to seal if you were to touch my hair right now you would feel softness but not oiliness. That is one of the main reason I personally don't like CD's products in my hair. Why do you feel you have to use only one line of products?
    I know you don't like the idea of washing more often but you did mention your hair flaking after five days. Just my personal opinion but I think it would be better to either buy products designed to better nourish you scalp and control the flaking or wash more often before it gets to the point where it will flake. And when I say "shampoo" I don't necessarily mean traditional shampoo. I use raw African black soap, shikikai, and several other natural things. A lot of people like to do ACV rinses which they say helps their scalp itchiness and clarifies.
    I've stuck with that line of products because nothing else has worked as well. I've tried Curly Chicks, As I Am, Shea Moisture, and the list goes on. This has been three years of experimenting. Every line has had more negatives than positives for me.

If I have to wash my hair every three days, I'm not going to waste time on styling. Unfortunately, my wash and go isn't as easy as washing, conditioning, and stretching out while it's wet. Been there and done that. What happens? My hair ends up looking parched and like a dry, matted mess. I almost said nappy. It's not soft or manageable in that state, which is why I have to moisturize with oil or something. The shrinkage makes me look like I have a few inches of hair. Would that change with new products or changing up my regimen? Possibly. So if I commit to washing that frequently, I'd have to have products that would make wash-n-go's a lot easier than they are now.

My doctor suggests medicated shampoos for my scalp, but they strip my hair of everything. Everything that has been prescribed has been far too harsh. Even with applying it just to the scalp and being careful about rinsing it out has lead to my hair just feeling the worst. It's a work in progress. To cleanse my scalp, I was using diluted ACV and Dead Sea Salt. That was what helped get the flaking and outbreaks of rashes under control. The salt was too strong by itself, so I mixed the two. I haven't done that in awhile because the right combination of topical treatments, oral medications, and that combination gave me relief from the itching and constant flaking. My scalp and skin are in the best shape they've been in. I might have to look in to doing that treatment again with the intent of cleansing. I'm definitely going to look in to nontraditional methods for shampooing because store bought shampoo may not be best for me.

Thank you for your suggestions. I've never heard of Bobeam. They're much appreciated. I'm trying not to give up. I'd hate to see so many years of commitment just go down the drain. I've lasted without chemicals this long, so surely I'll get over this hump without having to chemically process my hair or resenting my hair more than I do at this moment.
    I've stuck with that line of products because nothing else has worked as well. I've tried Curly Chicks, As I Am, Shea Moisture, and the list goes on. This has been three years of experimenting. Every line has had more negatives than positives for me.

If I have to wash my hair every three days, I'm not going to waste time on styling. Unfortunately, my wash and go isn't as easy as washing, conditioning, and stretching out while it's wet. Been there and done that. What happens? My hair ends up looking parched and like a dry, matted mess. I almost said nappy. It's not soft or manageable in that state, which is why I have to moisturize with oil or something. The shrinkage makes me look like I have a few inches of hair. Would that change with new products or changing up my regimen? Possibly. So if I commit to washing that frequently, I'd have to have products that would make wash-n-go's a lot easier than they are now.

My doctor suggests medicated shampoos for my scalp, but they strip my hair of everything. Everything that has been prescribed has been far too harsh. Even with applying it just to the scalp and being careful about rinsing it out has lead to my hair just feeling the worst. It's a work in progress. To cleanse my scalp, I was using diluted ACV and Dead Sea Salt. That was what helped get the flaking and outbreaks of rashes under control. The salt was too strong by itself, so I mixed the two. I haven't done that in awhile because the right combination of topical treatments, oral medications, and that combination gave me relief from the itching and constant flaking. My scalp and skin are in the best shape they've been in. I might have to look in to doing that treatment again with the intent of cleansing. I'm definitely going to look in to nontraditional methods for shampooing because store bought shampoo may not be best for me.

Thank you for your suggestions. I've never heard of Bobeam. They're much appreciated. I'm trying not to give up. I'd hate to see so many years of commitment just go down the drain. I've lasted without chemicals this long, so surely I'll get over this hump without having to chemically process my hair or resenting my hair more than I do at this moment.

Good luck. And don't be afraid to stray from these well known product lines. Some companies on Etsy will add or subtact ingredients you don't care for for custom blends. And There is an advantange in making your own and putting just what you want in it. Like I said I rotate my "shampoos" and only 1 is an over the counter product. I forgot to mention I have a rhassoul clay bar too. Naptural85 has a video on how to make a clay mud wash. I don't use brand dc's either. My dc for years has been honey, Evoo, and banana baby food. Sometimes I through in ayurvedic powders. It's all learning curve. Maybe you can try the diluted acv without the salt since it was helping. Also I mentioned to a poster in the 4 section about using refresher sprays between washings. I do it every day. :jocolor:
  • ReservechicReservechic Registered Users Posts: 798
    Welcome!

So sorry to hear about how things are going with your hair. I was recently diagnosed in June of this year with scalp eczema. Yes, the things that my dermatologist prescribed and has recommended for use on my hair and scalp are very drying. Which is why, i can totally understand about the doctor recommending you stuff that is very drying, in order to help with controlling your dermatitis. One thing i have learned is that medicated shampoos through regular use can really deplete ones hair of a lot of moisture, and if the moisture that is being lost through usage of such as well as through usage of topical scalp meds is being properly replenished back, then yes, this most surely can contribute to breakage, and this can make it appear as if ones hair isn't growing. But, instead, it's that the hair is in a very dry, brittle state and is breaking off. Which is why, i feel that its length retention that you have been having major issues with.

When it comes to finding products that agree with ones hair and scalp is something that of course takes a lot of patience and trial and error. However, i urge you to remain strong on your quest to find such. As, i understand that you have come across more "misses" than"hits", within the brands that you've come across. I can honestly say that throughout my natural hair hourney, i have endured a ton of "misses", which i do regret in a way, however, it allowed me to understand clearly what works best for use on my head. I have come to learn that the skin on my scalp and body is very reactive to alot of synthetic fragrances that are used in haircare products. I have also come to learn that certain natural/essential oils do not agree with the skin on my scalp and body too. Which is why, i try to get samples of products first, so that way i can sample a product first, so that way, i can know if it completely compatible with both my scalp and hair, before committing to buying the full size. I do understand that with some companies, the option be able to sample a product first, isn't provided. Which is why, i highly recommend before you buy any new full size hair care products, to do as much research as you can about it beforehand, okay.

And, i wouldn't recommend constantly having your hair be put in styles that put alot of tension on both your hair and scalp. Because you know that you suffer with dermatitis that affects the skin on your scalp, it is best to avoid putting your hair in styles that put alot of tension on your scalp, and it is best to avoid harsh chemical processes as well. Because these things are not best for the overall health of your scalp at all.

And, please know that companies are always willing to provide consumers with help in regards to which products would be best for use for them, from their lines. I definitely will reach out to a company or vendor, and ask them which products they feel would be best for me to try from their line. Of course, i provide them with with as much info that i can in regards to my hair and scalp, so that they can know exactly what issues/concerns, i am dealing with. Laquita, with Bobeam, is very nice, and i did personally contact her in regards to my wanting to try her shampoo bars, and she was able to help me with picking the ones that she felt would be best for my hair. Now, i don't use shampoo bars on my hair all the time, as it's something that i use as desired.

When it comes to my hair, at this time, i rotate betwen cleansers. I wash my hair twice a week. I use a cleanser that's specifically designd to treat my scalp, and i al use one that's designed to trsat my scalp, towards the beginning if the week, and towards the end if the week, i use a cleanser that is designed to be moisturizing to my haif and scalp, towards the end if the week. I deep condition after every hair wash, using heat (either my Heutiful Hair Steamer or Hot Head Thermal Conditioning Cap)for deepest penetration of the conditioner into my hair. And, i have currently been going back and forth between using the stylers mentioned below to style my hair with. I do a pre-cleansing oil treatment using tea tree oil mixed with warm olive oil, and i apply that all over my head and scalp. I do a massage of my scalp for a few minutes, and then i will wait for either 30-60 minutes, before, i then proceed to cleanse my head next.

When it comes to styling, i keep things as simple as possible. I wear my hair in either wash n gos, buns, or ponytails. The only days in which i really manipulate my hair alot is on my hair wash days. Outside of such, i fingerstyle only.

I certainly do hope that things get much better. Please keep us updated on how things continue to progress along your natural hair journey, okay.
    Diagnosed with Scalp Eczema 6/2015
    (Don't hair type/loose curl pattern/fine texture/low density/high porosity

Current Regimen (Ayurvedic Based):
    Cleansers- Bobeam Shampoo Bars
    Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I only wear my hair in wash n gos or buns. Also,
    I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!
    X
    Hard to tell but your hair looks like it might be dry.
    X
    Is your hair low porosity? It might explain a whole lot here!

Kayla

Youtube - Website
    Is your hair low porosity? It might explain a whole lot here!

Yes! That's how I ended up using the CD Hair Milk line and some of the Shea Moisture products.
    Low porosity wouldn't necessarily like those lines. It's prone to buildup. I find CD hair milk and everything else I've tried from her to be super greasy. I am considering trying the new line by SM that's not so heavy.

Remember that getting moisture built up in your hair is not typically an overnight process if you are coming from super dry. Straight water might not be enough. I add a little conditioner to my daily sprays. Some people add glycerin and other stuff. Honey is a humectant and I always use it in my homemade dc's. Good luck.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file