SC police on track for bloodiest year of the decade

scrillsscrills Registered Users Posts: 6,700

Comments

  • rouquinnerouquinne Registered Users Posts: 13,737 Curl Connoisseur
    My blog:

    http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

    Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • JosephineJosephine Registered Users Posts: 14,408 Curl Connoisseur
    Horrible. I'm driving through rural georgia and alabama later this week for the beach. It's always an eerie feeling.
  • wavypenwavypen Registered Users Posts: 253 Curl Neophyte
    This is sick. I don't understand how that Alabama kept his job, even the strongest cop defenders should know this was wrong, someone like that should not be able to keep his job.
  • wavypenwavypen Registered Users Posts: 253 Curl Neophyte
    And this isn't police killing directly, but the police are responsible for some of this: Baltimore is on track to have its highest amount of murders in many years, and there was a big upsurge this summer because after the protests and uprising in response to Freddie Gray's death as well as the police involved being charged, the police decided to just not do their jobs in large parts of the city (like a soft strike), the current murder rate is the highest it's been since the 70s and the overall number could reach 90s levels, already we've almost reached the total number from last year.
  • AmnerisAmneris Registered Users Posts: 15,117
    wavypen wrote: »
    And this isn't police killing directly, but the police are responsible for some of this: Baltimore is on track to have its highest amount of murders in many years, and there was a big upsurge this summer because after the protests and uprising in response to Freddie Gray's death as well as the police involved being charged, the police decided to just not do their jobs in large parts of the city (like a soft strike), the current murder rate is the highest it's been since the 70s and the overall number could reach 90s levels, already we've almost reached the total number from last year.



    That to me is even more disgusting than the original police shootings and related lying and cover up, which I wouldn't have thought was possible.


    That kind of behaviour - the idea that charging a police officer for breaking the law, just like happens to any person who gets caught breaking the law, just as should happen, is somehow an insult and affront to cops - is what causes this whole problem in the first place. Cops who kill are able to do so because they, and apparently many people in the community, think they are and should be above the law. The fact that they won't do their jobs and protect the community because others amongst them were held responsible for wrongdoing is appalling. Honest cops should be the most angry at their brethren breaking the law and abusing their power because it makes it harder for honest cops to earn peoples' trust and do their jobs. They shouldn't be covering up for their corrupt colleagues and acting worse than the so-called "criminals" they claim to want to bring to justice. We have to try to change police culture.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali


    .png


    534Pm5.png





  • wavypenwavypen Registered Users Posts: 253 Curl Neophyte
    Amneris wrote: »
    wavypen wrote: »
    And this isn't police killing directly, but the police are responsible for some of this: Baltimore is on track to have its highest amount of murders in many years, and there was a big upsurge this summer because after the protests and uprising in response to Freddie Gray's death as well as the police involved being charged, the police decided to just not do their jobs in large parts of the city (like a soft strike), the current murder rate is the highest it's been since the 70s and the overall number could reach 90s levels, already we've almost reached the total number from last year.


    That to me is even more disgusting than the original police shootings and related lying and cover up, which I wouldn't have thought was possible.


    That kind of behaviour - the idea that charging a police officer for breaking the law, just like happens to any person who gets caught breaking the law, just as should happen, is somehow an insult and affront to cops - is what causes this whole problem in the first place. Cops who kill are able to do so because they, and apparently many people in the community, think they are and should be above the law. The fact that they won't do their jobs and protect the community because others amongst them were held responsible for wrongdoing is appalling. Honest cops should be the most angry at their brethren breaking the law and abusing their power because it makes it harder for honest cops to earn peoples' trust and do their jobs. They shouldn't be covering up for their corrupt colleagues and acting worse than the so-called "criminals" they claim to want to bring to justice. We have to try to change police culture.

    The way the police (mostly the union I think) are talking to the press about this is gross, they say that the police don't like to go to that part of Baltimore anymore because they're afraid because all people there hate them (I think most of the city probably doesn't like or hates them, but it was like that before Freddie Gray), they say the police are intimidated because every time they get out of their cars they're surrounded by a group of people videoing them with phones. If they do their jobs properly they really shouldn't worry about anyone taking video because they can't be accused of anything if there is a bunch of video of them doing their job properly, not abusing their powers, not profiling and that sort of thing. And if many people don't like them, maybe they should ask themselves why people don't like them.
  • AmnerisAmneris Registered Users Posts: 15,117
    If they have such a hard time doing their jobs and doing them properly and being held accountable by the public, maybe it is time for new jobs.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali


    .png


    534Pm5.png





  • chupiechupie Registered Users Posts: 5,280 Curl Connoisseur
    ^^^^^this x 1,000,000.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    Josephine wrote: »

    Did you click the link about the cop who beat up the young defenseless man w/ Down Syndrome and pulled out his colostomy bag!!? Now that is heartbreaking and I am in tears over that. :sad3:

  • scrillsscrills Registered Users Posts: 6,700
    A friend of a friend just got killed in Cincinnati over a traffic stop. WTF
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    scrills wrote: »
    A friend of a friend just got killed in Cincinnati over a traffic stop. WTF

    Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear that. :shaking:

  • JosephineJosephine Registered Users Posts: 14,408 Curl Connoisseur
    scrills wrote: »
    A friend of a friend just got killed in Cincinnati over a traffic stop. WTF

    Wtf :(. Sorry to hear that, I wonder what happened.
  • JosephineJosephine Registered Users Posts: 14,408 Curl Connoisseur
    Josephine wrote: »

    Did you click the link about the cop who beat up the young defenseless man w/ Down Syndrome and pulled out his colostomy bag!!? Now that is heartbreaking and I am in tears over that. :sad3:

    No, but I'm not surprised either. Disgusting.
  • wavypenwavypen Registered Users Posts: 253 Curl Neophyte
    Josephine wrote: »

    I agree this type of discrimination should not happen and it doesn't surprise me either. But I don't understand why the article thinks that police brutality is about average intelligence, plenty of extremely smart people are sociopaths, violent, believe crazy ideas etc. Smarter police would mean that the police would be less likely to be caught, but I don't think it means they'd be less likely to be brutal.

    Scrills, I'm so sorry about your friend.
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    wavypen wrote: »
    Josephine wrote: »

    I agree this type of discrimination should not happen and it doesn't surprise me either. But I don't understand why the article thinks that police brutality is about average intelligence, plenty of extremely smart people are sociopaths, violent, believe crazy ideas etc. Smarter police would mean that the police would be less likely to be caught, but I don't think it means they'd be less likely to be brutal.

    Scrills, I'm so sorry about your friend.

    Maybe more likely to follow the group think? More likely to be talked into doing stuff that a smarter person would resist and question?

  • wavypenwavypen Registered Users Posts: 253 Curl Neophyte
    Maybe more likely to follow the group think? More likely to be talked into doing stuff that a smarter person would resist and question?

    That could be true.
  • rouquinnerouquinne Registered Users Posts: 13,737 Curl Connoisseur
    And in the neighbouring state:

    Sheriff: Brothers, 3 and 4, were shot multiple times by father | www.wsoctv.com

    Drunk Father Shoots 2 Young Sons Before Turning Gun On Himself In Attempted Suicide

    "Shawn Fuller is a guns everywhere advocate. He open carries, won't shop where he can't take his guns, shoots while drinking in his backyard, and supports the NRA."

    :sad3:
    My blog:

    http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

    Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • JosephineJosephine Registered Users Posts: 14,408 Curl Connoisseur
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Registered Users Posts: 15,490 Curl Neophyte
    I do completely agree that anyone who does not do their job correctly/over steps whole be handled accordingly. Now, that does not mean accusing a trooper who slightly mishandled a traffic stop for a murder he had nothing to do with (given there was no murder). Just as some feel people think officers should be allowed to do whatever (I don't know anyone who feels this way), many in the public need to take a breath, actually look at things and calm down. We live in a country where police and citizens have guns. People will get shot. I like to make sure I have all the facts before I jump to conclusions while many others like to go all conspiracy theorists and continue dismissing facts/science/video footage and treating every case as if it's a rogue cop. That is not exactly helpful either.

    I have not looked at every case in SC so I can not comment on that. I did hear about one recently where a teen was killed and his parents are looking into it. I believe the officer said he shot from the front of the car as the teen was trying to run him over but he was shot from behind. Luckily, we live in a time where accountability had improved so much. It really has. Forensics can tell us so much and confirm or destroy a story. *I do not understand why anyone lies on that one, from Mike Browns friends & neighbors to a Police officer. Don't say someone was shot from behind when more than one autopsy says they were shot from the front and don't say you shot them from the front if it was from behind. People have been rather skilled at entry and exit wounds for some time* We do not live in a time where every single department in the U.S. (and there are hundreds of thousands with hundreds of employees) can afford all the latest advancements in tech. Shouting body cam at someone does no good unless you have some money to back it up. There are still some tiny departments out there that do not have dash cams, but the majority do.

    All that said, I know horrible crime has been increasing 10 fold in SC too. That's part of my local news networks. Some scary isht has been going on there and it just keeps increasing. So, it's not just cops that should worry you.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Registered Users Posts: 15,490 Curl Neophyte
    This covers some of *one type* of homicide in SC

    Gang-Related News Articles

    49 people murdered in one county alone in 2013. It's increased since then and been spreading. 29 total shootings so far by police, State Wide, seems right on track (and that is simply an emotionless stat based on increased violence all the way around) but each should be looked at individually if there is any suspicion. They usually are reviewed anyway, suspicious or not.


    Chicago up to 1500+ Gang murders so far in 2015. Detroit and Chicago alone average 8-10 murders a week. The populations there just keep leaving the area in rapid nbrs because you have to live with your doors and windows covered.

    Shootings -- Crime in Chicagoland -- chicagotribune.com
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Registered Users Posts: 15,490 Curl Neophyte
    And do note there are a other violent crimes to consider in SC, which is why I said looking at just one. SC makes the local news due to it being either #1 or #2 in the nation for domestic violence homicides. Now keep in mind SC has 46 counties and there are hundreds to thousands, total, of cities, towns and villages in SC. Total population is around 4.9 million and over 50% of that population's women. In 2013 they had 50 women killed at the hands on someone they once loved. In 2014 when they fell to second in the rankings it was noted they had 300 murders of women, at the hands of someone they once loved, since 2010. It's not great nbrs compared to other national averages (or period) but it's still not at the level of 49 gang related homicides, in one county alone, in 2013. Thats a tiny blip compared to this other portion of homicide. Just one area. There are many more where that is concerned. Then vehicular, ones that may relate to self defense, accidental, one time fights/occurqnces, etc. It's still easy to see where the greatest increases are. Truly, Sociopaths + Gang Members are your top pics for multiple murders = serial killers. Your mass shooters/killers who rack up multiple victims on any level. Last year or 2 years ago an absolutely insane looking skin head escaped prison and killed a couple people while he was out. So yeah, it's just getting worse. One can expect shootings from the thousands of officers state wide and one can expect a handful to be questionable.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wavypenwavypen Registered Users Posts: 253 Curl Neophyte
    Fifi, I think you need to check some of your stats. Chicago has not had 1500 murders this year, they have had more than 1500 shootings, however most of those didn't result in death, and the number of murders I found on the Internet is 274. I couldn't find a number that includes whatever has happened so far in August, but it looks like Detroit had 163 as of the end of July. Baltimore is currently at 201. Of these cities Chicago has the lowest murder rate by far (10 per 100,000, compared to 24 for Detroit and 30 for Baltimore). Also the reasons that people left Detroit in large numbers recently is more complicated than crime, Detroit has had a high crime rate for a long time, I suspect the city declaring bankruptcy, the lack of services like trash pickup and urban blight in general caused the recent exodus. However both Detroit and Baltimore have been in decline for decades, loss of blue collar jobs, redlining, white flight etc have all contributed.

    Also the witnesses who thought Mike Brown had been shot in the back are not necessarily lying, there were a number of shots fired that missed him, so Wilson could have been shooting at him as he ran, and then when he turned around that's when the shots started hitting him. There is also one bullet wound where he could have been facing towards or away from Wilson. Also none of that matters because robbing a store is not a valid reason to shoot someone, punching a police officer is not a valid reason for that cop to kill the person who punched him. Nothing that happened in these cases in any way justifies shooting and killing a suspect.

    I also think that you are misunderstanding some of the views of the people arguing that this seemingly never ending series of police killing unarmed black men, I don't think this is usually characterized as rogue cops, on the contrary the extrajudicial killings of blacks people are rather part of systemic discrimination at all levels of the criminal justice system. Those police aren't rogues, they're acting out what the system teaches them: that being black is probable cause of criminality, that black people need harsher punishments, that black men are inherently dangerous; and while the "justice" they mete out is more extreme, involving killing, it's really just a part of a long American tradition concerning how black people should be punished for the crime of being black.

    Finally, and I've said this before, but if protecting police lives and safety is so important then we need to enact strict gun control. It would have the side effect of protecting others as well.
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Registered Users Posts: 15,490 Curl Neophyte
    wavypen wrote: »
    Fifi, I think you need to check some of your stats. Chicago has not had 1500 murders this year, they have had more than 1500 shootings, however most of those didn't result in death, and the number of murders I found on the Internet is 274. I couldn't find a number that includes whatever has happened so far in August, but it looks like Detroit had 163 as of the end of July. Baltimore is currently at 201. Of these cities Chicago has the lowest murder rate by far (10 per 100,000, compared to 24 for Detroit and 30 for Baltimore). Also the reasons that people left Detroit in large numbers recently is more complicated than crime, Detroit has had a high crime rate for a long time, I suspect the city declaring bankruptcy, the lack of services like trash pickup and urban blight in general caused the recent exodus. However both Detroit and Baltimore have been in decline for decades, loss of blue collar jobs, redlining, white flight etc have all contributed.

    Also the witnesses who thought Mike Brown had been shot in the back are not necessarily lying, there were a number of shots fired that missed him, so Wilson could have been shooting at him as he ran, and then when he turned around that's when the shots started hitting him. There is also one bullet wound where he could have been facing towards or away from Wilson. Also none of that matters because robbing a store is not a valid reason to shoot someone, punching a police officer is not a valid reason for that cop to kill the person who punched him. Nothing that happened in these cases in any way justifies shooting and killing a suspect.

    I also think that you are misunderstanding some of the views of the people arguing that this seemingly never ending series of police killing unarmed black men, I don't think this is usually characterized as rogue cops, on the contrary the extrajudicial killings of blacks people are rather part of systemic discrimination at all levels of the criminal justice system. Those police aren't rogues, they're acting out what the system teaches them: that being black is probable cause of criminality, that black people need harsher punishments, that black men are inherently dangerous; and while the "justice" they mete out is more extreme, involving killing, it's really just a part of a long American tradition concerning how black people should be punished for the crime of being black.

    Finally, and I've said this before, but if protecting police lives and safety is so important then we need to enact strict gun control. It would have the side effect of protecting others as well.

    That's shootings, if I did not make that clear (I had been up all night). I know I did say they were sometimes averaging 8-10 deaths in a week as a result of one type of homicide. Often, a lot of those people are innocent. Children playing the yard, etc. Chicago is up to 12 deaths so far in the month of August. It's day 13. I would think that is a factor when it comes to people leaving too unless everyone is perfectly fine with someone continuously shooting up their neighborhood. I would not expect them to be. One of my friends, who is a teacher, moved from Chicago to Texas at the end of 2014. The week they found the bodies of 3 children around his apartment, along with 2 adults, he was done.

    While I could not ever doubt that there has been a history of discrimination in policing, I don't think it is as extreme in 2015. Does that mean some problems do not remain? No. I've never heard of anyone being educated to treat black people differently in this day and age. In fact they have oversight groups who swoop in at the first possible hint of profiling. I've seen it happen with my own Sheriff's department after ICE asked for their assistance one weekend. Kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. I'm getting a kick out of a few YouTubers who record their traffic stops, get back in their cars and proclaim... 'I'm still alive!! That racist cop didn't kill me. Happens all the time. You know what I didn't do? Hold court in the street. That's what court rooms are for'. Some officers now have systems in their car that can tell you anything you need to know about a person. Everything. Their complete criminal history down to every active warrant they have against them. Many know exactly what the person has been into before they pull them, regardless of color. That usually weighs a bit harder on how they react.

    I'll agree many are too gung ho now. They are. I'll agree training practices need to be worked on. All that will still never tell you exactly how a person is going to react when it comes down to one moment. That's something no one can completely prepare a human being for. You only learn that once you are in that situation. They absolutely don't need to be trying to cover it up if they screwed up. And yeah, if people can say cops lied to cover their ass people can say other citizens lied about things too. *His friend changed the story about what happened at the car a couple times, in different TV interviews, and then several others claiming to witness said only a little struggle happened at the car. The first time Insaw his autopsy photos I could tell he had a line of shots up the arm that probably indicated a struggle for the gun at close range. The patrol car had evidence of this too. Several of those shots happened before anyone ran anywhere* You can say the media lied. They lied when they went with the claim that Mikes body stayed uncovered in the street for 5 hours and edited video footage to make it seem this way and the community (several claiming to be there) continued this lie. There was cell phone footage on YouTube showing EMS covering him with a sheet soon after and barricades being placed around his body to help block the view until crime scene unite could get there and do a long but necessary job. A job made even harder by idiots shooting in the street as they tried to work. It does not all go one way. That's where I see people treating cops as if they have all gone rouge. People doing YouTube videos of recent high profile cases, trying to prove the officer who pulled SB over was telling lies by matching statements up to the wrong portions of videos, no one factoring in that he is human as well and may not remember every bit of what was said right after the altercation which does not even matter because he did not kill her and hide her body for 3 days. Before any evidence is collected and any facts are known, people have already judged and condemned. The reaction is down right embarrassing at times. I'm perfectly willing to look at the all the evidence in anything and give my opinion and no that does not include "they deserved to die" OR an angry mob is correct in demanding an officer be handed to them a few hours later.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Registered Users Posts: 15,490 Curl Neophyte
    And I am all for tighter restrictions on guns, especially particular types. I personally do not believe anyone needs to own something that sprays bullets, for any reason. It will still not stop the criminals that already have them. It won't change what they do or already have in their possession in any way. It won't stop people from getting their hands on them. Now am I for taking away everyone's rights? No. I think people who believe we can ban guns are living in a dream. The ones already gunning people down in the street or in theaters have shown they do not give a damn about laws or restrictions.

    *************************************************

    I do hold the media responsible for a lot of excess bull isht right now, period. You can hardly trust anything they say, they are jumping on a narrative and beating it like a dead horse. Even going so far as to sit there and tell people they are seeing the exact revers of what is happening on a video. It's horrible. Really bad and people would be better off if they did not automatically jump on their wagon. It's usually doomed. I also hate seeing people say that "American Officers are clearly out of control". There are clearly times of excessive force and abuse. There have been clear cut cases, with out a doubt. No one can deny that in the slightest. Right now you are talking about a handful of cases in the grand scheme of things. When you look at SC alone, you are talking about upwards of 2000 of local sheriff and police department officers alone. That is not even addressing highway patrol, SBI & FBI as well as USM's in the state. 29 questionable cases... Not all have been found questionable yet but 29 questionable cases... That does not show a need to fear the officers as you drive thru the state. The bad ones (there are always bad ones) need to be rooted out, no doubt, but so the assumption they that are all racist and hiding something. That is as stupid as the idea that black Americans need to be policed harsher. I would love to see officers train differently with shooting practices. They are trained to shoot until someone stops moving, once they decide to do it. Multiple shots. It comes down to a split decision when you see someone reaching for something. Do you wait to find out if it's what you think it is? I do understand why they are trained to shoot center mass. If someone is going for a gun and is coming for you, you are not going to take the time to get fancy. It's... It's tricky. I don't want to leave anyone in the position where they feel like they should not defend themselves or the citizens around them but I would rather not have all this shooting someone 6,7,8 times either.

    ***********************************************
    I'll add this too. While the court system (the place where laws are truly enforced) still clearly has issues, it's also a lot better. My BF is currently helping out one of his co workers who just spent 40 years in prison for stealing a TV. Yes, he is black. It happened in the costal section of NC years ago. *1974. Long before 3 strikes came along in several states voted in favor of 3 strikes after brutal murders in 1994 and with the intent of it only hitting those committing violent offenses. Same thing would carry a maximum 3 year sentence in my state now, if even that.* On top of that he is dealing with some jack ass co workers who would not help him out. Most of whom are in or were in the prison system themselves. His employer works with prisons to provide work programs and second chances for some who do a good job. I think it's an excellent program. No doubt that is effed up and there are a lot more stories like his. At the same time, I'm well aware that in th days of 24-7 surveillance, recorded phone calls, over sights, etc, and great shifts with a lot of mentalities out there that it's not highly likely we are all of a sudden back in the days of lynching someone in prison like many proclaimed. Separate police departments are not that deeply connected anyway. Not well enough to pull something off on that level including EMS several other non LEO departments that work with them. One where every division from high to low would have to be in on it together. I know 1 SBI agent because I grew up around him. I know no FBI agents or US Marshalls. Hell I don't even know half the new people on the PD or SD or EMS or Fire Departments in my own county and I dispatch for them. I'm not going to lie for them either, though I'm not there. If they call me and tell me they are not going to a call, often for valid reasons like no laws have been broken and they have already been out and told the person what steps they need to take... Twice, I document it. This media driven hysteria is a bit extreme. I know many people are smarter than this.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • curlyarcacurlyarca Registered Users Posts: 8,449 Curl Connoisseur
    So many disconnected thoughts on this topic:

    1. Honestly the way the Baltimore City Police have acted since their colleagues were charged is what will make me leave Baltimore....not the crime. These same cops got these jobs because Baltimore city pays them so well, but they don't want to do their jobs appropriately. Like no honor whatsoever.

    2. Crime is everywhere. Everywhere. It typically seems to intensify when there is economic instability (i.e., widespread poverty). But is it intensifying because poor people are committing more crimes or because poor people are patrolled more closely during economic instability? Not sure, maybe both.

    3. I think some types of crimes may have increased (could go on and on about why; could be just by definition), but we now have 24 hour news, internet news, etc., so awareness of crime, particularly violent crime, is increased. When you are unaware of something, it doesn't seem like much of a problem or a problem at all. I mean, if your neighbor killed his family or rapes his wife or is a serial rapist or murderer or goes out with his or her droogs to beat up homeless people in his spare time, whether you know or not, he still committed a crime/crimes. Right? It's the knowing that puts people on edge. Without the knowing, you are allowed to be lulled into the "bad things don't happen here" myth. Bad things, i.e., violent crime, happen everywhere people are.

    4. People like to think in the "good old days" when they were kids or in the 50s or 70s or something, there was less crime (violent crime). But it most likely wasn't. You just weren't aware of all the crime around you when you were relying on local news, newspapers, and radio or in a social context that isolated you from awareness of violent crime. For example, growing up as a typical middle class white person, where the US used to be your oyster, you probably thought crime was something that only affected non-whites and poor people or the random person in your sophomore class who "disappeared" via unknown boogeyman.

    5. Ignorance is bliss, so I understand why people want to rail against the media for making them more aware of violent crimes. Don't necessarily agree with them though.

    6. In the Baltimore region, all we hear about is how many people are selling drugs and getting killed. Murders in the city are usually related to drugs and disagreements related to drug turf. We never hear about all of the people coming into the city from Anne Arundel and Harford counties (for example) to go to West Baltimore to get drugs, the "safe, nice" places to live with low violent crime. We never hear about the employers of all these poor "Freddie Gray types" that the Baltimore City Police want to be able to treat however they want, and if they die as a result, oh well, one less [fill in the blank] to deal with.

    7. Poor people are not more criminal. I think they are potentially more likely to resort to acts defined as criminal in order to cover basic needs. I think more of their behavior is directly and indirectly criminalized/defined as criminal. And I think they're more likely to be caught and have no defense against the criminal justice system (poorer defense). Our system is not even necessarily about who did or didn't do it as much as it's about whether you're in the "right" ingroups (race, socioeconomic status, etc.) .

    8. Although frequency is important (e.g., it's only one man who was asphyxiated while being arrested out of 3000, what's the big deal?), it's not everything. What's your threshold for acceptable? Is one person getting their neck snapped by a cop acceptable? 3 people killed over cigarillos? 6 people killed over selling loose cigarettes? 10 people killed over failure to pay child support? Or is it just as long as it's not happening to you or yours.

    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

    4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.
  • scrillsscrills Registered Users Posts: 6,700
    sounds like some people think it's still the "good old days" and are just mad at anything that takes them out of their little bubble

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file