Curly Hair Beauty Schools?

JunyJuJunyJu Registered Users Posts: 495 Curl Neophyte
So I recently came to the exciting decision to go into cosmetology specifically to work on curly hair. I am currently planning out a 'double major' of sorts, where I will be doing a business degree with a local university while simultaneously attending a local beauty school to get certified. I understand that in a regular beauty school you do not get education for curly hair. Does anyone know of any institutes/schools specifically for curly hair, and how to apply? I'm having a bit of trouble with this. Thank you! :)
Medium texture, with some fine. Colored. High porosity, high density. 3b/3c; multicultural.

•Deep Conditioner: Shea Moisture JBCO Hair Masque
•Conditioner: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
•No-poo: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
•Styler(s): Shea Moisture JBCO Leave-In, As I Am Curling Jelly.
•CG as of 12/?/2014, BC 04/?/2015. First CG cut 7/9/2015. :happy3:

Comments

• bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Registered Users Posts: 1,308 Curl Neophyte
    I'm sure you can certified to be Deva stylist. It's like anything else where you kind of build your portfolio/rep as you learn-like a tattoo apprenticeship? My own stylist (well if I get another deva cut again lol) learned about the Deva technique at a hair convention so she went further into it. I'm sure you can go out and become that indie style stylist by traveling as you learn hair. Then you can finally open your own salon, tell me and I'll show up. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using CurlTalk App
    *Current Routine*
    LP: SM RSB
    CO/CW: CJ Daily Fix, GR Restorative, SM RSB, SM SFC
    DC: SM, CJ Rehab, G.Nutrafix, DIY
    LI: a CO, KCKT
    Sealers: an oil, JC N&S
    Stylers: just CO, CJ CIAB, KCCC, aloe gel, FSG
    Once in a while: ACV, Lemon-Aid

Oils to seal, rinse, and/or pre-poo as needed :love10:

2c/3a/3b coarse, normal porosity
    :toothy4: CG since 2007 :flower:
  • JunyJuJunyJu Registered Users Posts: 495 Curl Neophyte
    I'm sure you can certified to be Deva stylist. It's like anything else where you kind of build your portfolio/rep as you learn-like a tattoo apprenticeship? My own stylist (well if I get another deva cut again lol) learned about the Deva technique at a hair convention so she went further into it. I'm sure you can go out and become that indie style stylist by traveling as you learn hair. Then you can finally open your own salon, tell me and I'll show up. :)

That is definitely an option as well! :) And I'll be sure to tell everyone when I open my own salon! :D That is my dream/plan, to open a chain of salons that cater solely to curly-haired clients, since we have plenty of others that handle 'normal' hair!
    Medium texture, with some fine. Colored. High porosity, high density. 3b/3c; multicultural.

• bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Registered Users Posts: 1,308 Curl Neophyte
    I've dreamed of this as well and would love to work in your salon..you have no idea lol

*Current Routine*

I've dreamed of this as well and would love to work in your salon..you have no idea lol

I would love that! I definitely plan on coming back here to advertise in the future whenever I open it! There is such a need for this and I only wish I could graduate sooner to get started! I just love the idea of having salons all over so curly girls have a place to go where they know once they walk in they'll be fine, instead of the anxiety of wondering if the stylists will know how to correctly handle your hair or not.

• BeautyOGBeautyOG Registered Users Posts: 383 Curl Neophyte
    JunyJu wrote: »

I would love that! I definitely plan on coming back here to advertise in the future whenever I open it! There is such a need for this and I only wish I could graduate sooner to get started! I just love the idea of having salons all over so curly girls have a place to go where they know once they walk in they'll be fine, instead of the anxiety of wondering if the stylists will know how to correctly handle your hair or not.

I'm interested too! I'm working on becoming a Deva stylist as well.

Sent from my QMV7B using CurlTalk App
    My Hair:
    3b - Low Porosity - High Density - Medium/Course Strands - Virgin Hair - Armpit Length, Curly

Current Products:
    DIY Shampoo
    Tresemme Aloe Conditioner
    It's a 10 Leave In
    Sweet Almond Oil
    Tresemme Mousse

Current Length Goal: Waist Length, Curly

BeautyOG wrote: »

This is so awesome! :D Is there a website or something with information on how to become Deva certified? The internet is so barren when it comes to information on curly hair beauty schools and certification and stuff...

Next time I go see my stylist, I will have to ask her. She went to a hair convention when first hearing about Deva. I have a few questions about hair actually ladies. I've gotten a deva about 3 or 4 times. The first and second times it was phenomenal. I think my problem was that deva cuts begin to look rather mullet like because the hair gets heavily layered. As it grows out, it begins to look odd and the ends get ridiculously thin. Mind you, it looks amazingly curly but I just didn't like that. I also didn't like being a slave to my stylist in the sense that I would have to always be getting deva cuts that way. I got frustrated because I was paying so much, driving a bit, and sitting there under a hooded dryer (I'm super hair health conscious and it makes me cringe getting all the deva product polyquat buildup and having my hair washed the next day and then dryed with heat). However, I always quietly undergo it all because I know I can remove the build up, use my products, and go back to air drying by washing/air drying it again. In other words, I always talk myself into it being worth it but I started hating the whole thing. Needless to say, I cut my hair off to my shoulders (I.e.) the shortest layer in my long hair about a year ago. I got it cut blunt so I could start a journey with thicker ends. I just went to a regular stylist and after being sure I wanted to cut it off (she tried to talk me out of it lol), she gave me some layers because she was like girl you need them. I was like fine lol, well my hair has grown out quite a bit now and I also had my mom cut it about a month ago by using a scrunchue and cutting straight across. Then, I went through and cut the shorter pieces that aren't caught up with the length by going in curl by curl. I used to cut my own hair in high school hair and there but I also went to stylists occasionally too. At the time, I always wore my hair straight until I had swim and everyone was like girl ya got a perm lmao. Anyway, my hair is really blunt and less 3a/3b looking because it's getting flat. I love the thick ends though. I felt really sad yesterday because I miss having curly, curly hair but I don't like thin ends because I want amazing, warrior princess hair. I've come a long way. I'm wondering if I should just get long layers in the bottom part of the length as my hair gets longer but at the same time I'm like maybe it's not worth it.

*Current Routine*

This is what I mean by thin ends:
    *Current Routine*

This is where my hair was heading when it got to thin ends and longer hair.

*Current Routine*

This is ny pattern basically and what my hair would look like if I had my hair cut like the hair in this picture. However, as it gets closer to one length you don't suffer from an elongated triangle and your hair starts to get a lot more wavy looking. it just sucks that I miss the curl.

*Current Routine*

This is kind of what I've got going on lightweight right now lol.
    *Current Routine*

These are the goals if it were closer to one length realm with thicker ends:

*Current Routine*

Sorry for all the pictures but they do such a grear job illustrating what I'm trying to say and I'm a visual learner. This is exactly what I'm going through at the moment:
    I think it might be worth going to my stylist. Maybe, it's because I don't exactly have wavy hair that would be able to thrive like that. It just really sucks lol. Perhaps, if I tell her about how I despise that look with pictures she'll understand. I wish we could all talk in person lol.

*Current Routine*

Gotcha! I've only had one DevaCut, so I can't fully relate, but I know exactly what you mean as far as the mullet look. When my hair is wet, the front and sides are short, but the back is noticeably longer. The first time I washed it after my cut, I noticed this and was so confused (and really didn't like it). I'm still not fond of it, but because I know it will shrink up for an even look, I don't want to cut it.

That's interesting that you noticed the ends getting thinner. I noticed something similar after my cut, and honestly wasn't a fan of that either. It really makes it look like I need a cut because those ends kind of go straight and it doesn't look right.

I would just make sure to definitely communicate with whomever is doing your hair thoroughly. I'm fairly shy, but during a cut I make sure to ask tons of questions about the cut they're doing, what it's going to look like after, when wet, when styled, what products, etc. I know from too many experiences that when I sit and let them do whatever, I regret it later! And if they make you feel bad for asking so many questions, I would either leave or not come back. You deserve to know anything and everything that is happening with your hair, and a good stylist will not only be happy to answer, but will tell you before you can ask.

And we could skype! I think that's the closest we could get to talking in person :D

• BeautyOGBeautyOG Registered Users Posts: 383 Curl Neophyte
    BeautyOG wrote: »

This is so awesome! :D Is there a website or something with information on how to become Deva certified? The internet is so barren when it comes to information on curly hair beauty schools and certification and stuff...

I don't know, I was looking on the Deva curl website and I *think* you already need to be a regular stylist before you in roll in their classes. I *think* that's what I saw.

My Hair:
    3b - Low Porosity - High Density - Medium/Course Strands - Virgin Hair - Armpit Length, Curly

Current Products:
    DIY Shampoo
    Tresemme Aloe Conditioner
    It's a 10 Leave In
    Sweet Almond Oil
    Tresemme Mousse

Current Length Goal: Waist Length, Curly

Okay, that's what I was getting. There didn't seem to be a way to just look it up otherwise :( But alright! I'll have to stay on course, then!

@JunyJu I would love that! Ill inbox you my Skype name.

*Current Routine*