Surprising haircut from Leslie Ellen Abatte

curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
Well, the surprise wasn't actually the haircut. The surprise is LE's honesty. She looked at my crappy looking hair, said my haircut was fine and I didn't need a haircut - even though that was what I was booked for! She said my method of coloring my hair was killing it and that no haircut from ber or anyone else would help as long as I continued what I was doing.

Well - I was astonished. She was talking me out of paying her for a haircut! Then she told me how I could continue to color my hair without more damage. Long story short - she gave me a clarifying shampoo to get rid of the bad chemicals from the color and gave me a haircut to clean up the damaged parts - which turned out fabulous.

Leslie Ellen - thank you!!!!! I recommend her without reservation to anyone in NYC. By the way, she has perfect 5/out of 5 recommendations on Yelp, Google, and here on nc.com. (I will cross post this to our forum on salons).
2/c Coarse hair med. density.
Highly porous. Color over grey.
I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
Every day is a gift :flower:

Comments

• JLeighsJLeighs Registered Users Posts: 904 Curl Novice
    Now I have to know! lol. What is the method that is killing your hair and what is the method she suggested? :)
    2C/3A, fine, higher porosity.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    Sure - I can explain it. I have been using L'oreal Preference which is a good, permanent color but I've been applying it from the squeeze bottle that comes with it. The dye gets on the gray roots but it spreads onto the roots that I did the last time and to a lesser extent all over my hair. So my hair gets dyed, and then re-dyed and overdyed, etc., and it is making my hair dry, chemically damaged and lifeless.

Leslie explained that I need to apply the dye with a brush, like a pastry brush, being careful to just put it on the grey roots and avoiding the rest of the hair. I know I should have been doing this but I've been lazy. No more! I know that this is the preferred way to do it because that's how it's done in a salon. Leslie also said I should wait much longer between colorings and if I get too upset at the gray I should use the pastry brush to just color my part and maybe in the front - in other words only the parts of the hair that are really showing the gray.

I asked Leslie about getting highlights She said she wouldn't do a any kind of highlighting or anything until I have let my hair grow in some and have been making sure that when I apply dye it only goes on the grey roots so that it is much healthier.

I think many other stylists would have jumped at the chance to highlight my hair right then, to make the money, but she was honest and refused to do highlights because she said my hair isn't healthy enough for that or any kind of color treatment yet. I really, really appreciated her honesty.

Thanks for asking :thumbup::sunny:
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
  • JLeighsJLeighs Registered Users Posts: 904 Curl Novice
    It sounds like you have a gem of a stylist there! Thanks for explaining your coloring method and the method she advised. :)
    2C/3A, fine, higher porosity.
  • koolkurlkoolkurl Registered Users Posts: 252 Curl Neophyte
    Curlypearl- Your new hairstylist sounds very good, Where is this hairstylist located? What does she charge? Does she do dry haircutting? Modern haircuts or classics?
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    koolkurl, Leslie Ellen has a chair at Capelli D'oro Salon which is on 5th Ave. bet. 19th and 20th sts. in Manhattan. She charged me $100 but I think she charges more for longer hair.

She will give you a free consultation if you call and ask for it. 718-926-4050
    She is very friendly and her website is called Leslie loves curls. She didn't cut my hair dry, but she used a cg product to style it.

The haircut she gave me is modern and I swear made me look 15 years younger. I expect she can do classic as well.

You can check her reviews here in the salons section or on yelp and google. They are all positive which is rare. The only negative is that the salon itself, while perfectly adequate, is nothing special. HTH.
  • chupiechupie Registered Users Posts: 5,280 Curl Connoisseur
    curlypearl wrote: »
    Sure - I can explain it. I have been using L'oreal Preference which is a good, permanent color but I've been applying it from the squeeze bottle that comes with it. The dye gets on the gray roots but it spreads onto the roots that I did the last time and to a lesser extent all over my hair. So my hair gets dyed, and then re-dyed and overdyed, etc., and it is making my hair dry, chemically damaged and lifeless.

Leslie explained that I need to apply the dye with a brush, like a pastry brush, being careful to just put it on the grey roots and avoiding the rest of the hair. I know I should have been doing this but I've been lazy. No more! I know that this is the preferred way to do it because that's how it's done in a salon. Leslie also said I should wait much longer between colorings and if I get too upset at the gray I should use the pastry brush to just color my part and maybe in the front - in other words only the parts of the hair that are really showing the gray.

I asked Leslie about getting highlights She said she wouldn't do a any kind of highlighting or anything until I have let my hair grow in some and have been making sure that when I apply dye it only goes on the grey roots so that it is much healthier.

I think many other stylists would have jumped at the chance to highlight my hair right then, to make the money, but she was honest and refused to do highlights because she said my hair isn't healthy enough for that or any kind of color treatment yet. I really, really appreciated her honesty.

Thanks for asking :thumbup::sunny:

I got one of those brushes at Sally's or Ulta. My friend can do just my regrowth that way. They work slick.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file