New to the no poo thing-questions!

curly3acurly3a Registered Users Posts: 12
Hello everyone! I'm excited to find this website and chat board!
Anyway, I had a question, how do you know if your hair products contain silicone? I read the ingredient list, but didn't see it there..would it say? I just started the no shampoo thing and I have always used Paul Mitchell products not sure if that's good or not.
Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks, Megan

Comments

• BrioBrio Registered Users Posts: 1,432
    these articles might help

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlcolumns/articles.php?id=341

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlcolumns/articles.php?id=326

Also, I copied this from a thread a while back, but I can't recall which one.
    Notes on Silicones

WATER SOLUBLE
    Dimethicone copolyol
    PEG/PPG silicones (the PEG/PPG process does this)
    Lauryl methicone copolyol
    Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein Hydroxypropyl Polysiloxane (or any other cone in the easily removed list that is chemically combined in a Hydrolyzed process--that's the key)

EASILY REMOVED BY IONIC SURFACTANT BECAUSE THEY BOND WITH A LIGHTER IONIC BOND
    Amodimethicone (soluble in the bottle with Trideceth-12 (and) Cetrimonium Chloride but makes NO DIFFERENCE on the hair relative to solubility, just better distribution on the hair because the amodimethicone will be better dispursed in the product's solution, still easier to remove)
    Dimethicone
    Dimethiconol
    Behenoxy Dimethicone
    Phenyl Trimethicone

BORDERLINE--NOT SUPER-EASY or SUPER-HARD TO REMOVE, CAN USE IONIC SURFACTANT OTHER THAN SULFATE WITH SCRUBBING MOTION AND LEAVING SURFACTANT ON HAIR FOR FEW MINUTES TO REMOVE
    Simethicone
    Trimethicone (not common without the Phenyl that makes it easier to remove)

HARDER TO REMOVE, TAKES HARSHER SURFACTANT LIKE SULFATE BECAUSE THEY BOND WITH A STRONGER IONIC BOND
    Cyclomethicone
    Cyclopentasiloxane
    Trimethylsilylamodimethicone/Trimethylsiloxysilicates
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!
    my Fotki hair journey/experiment diary PW is brio (and I really need to update it!)

3A hair; coloring with henna/indigo since July 2009; normally follow the CG method. Still searching for my HG products!
  • wild_sasparillawild_sasparilla Registered Users Posts: 4,306
    Brio wrote:
    these articles might help

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlcolumns/articles.php?id=341

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlcolumns/articles.php?id=326

Also, I copied this from a thread a while back, but I can't recall which one.
    Notes on Silicones

WATER SOLUBLE
    Dimethicone copolyol
    PEG/PPG silicones (the PEG/PPG process does this)
    Lauryl methicone copolyol
    Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein Hydroxypropyl Polysiloxane (or any other cone in the easily removed list that is chemically combined in a Hydrolyzed process--that's the key)

EASILY REMOVED BY IONIC SURFACTANT BECAUSE THEY BOND WITH A LIGHTER IONIC BOND
    Amodimethicone (soluble in the bottle with Trideceth-12 (and) Cetrimonium Chloride but makes NO DIFFERENCE on the hair relative to solubility, just better distribution on the hair because the amodimethicone will be better dispursed in the product's solution, still easier to remove)
    Dimethicone
    Dimethiconol
    Behenoxy Dimethicone
    Phenyl Trimethicone

BORDERLINE--NOT SUPER-EASY or SUPER-HARD TO REMOVE, CAN USE IONIC SURFACTANT OTHER THAN SULFATE WITH SCRUBBING MOTION AND LEAVING SURFACTANT ON HAIR FOR FEW MINUTES TO REMOVE
    Simethicone
    Trimethicone (not common without the Phenyl that makes it easier to remove)

HARDER TO REMOVE, TAKES HARSHER SURFACTANT LIKE SULFATE BECAUSE THEY BOND WITH A STRONGER IONIC BOND
    Cyclomethicone
    Cyclopentasiloxane
    Trimethylsilylamodimethicone/Trimethylsiloxysilicates

Somebody please tell me this is wrong, just like how it's wrong about cyclomethicone (which is as easy or easier to remove than dimethicone).

Everybody said simethicone was water soluble! *hyperventillating* TELL ME IT'S WATER SOLUBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:
    OMG, LOOK!!

...It's a siggie. :shock:
  • BrioBrio Registered Users Posts: 1,432

Somebody please tell me this is wrong, just like how it's wrong about cyclomethicone (which is as easy or easier to remove than dimethicone).

Everybody said simethicone was water soluble! *hyperventillating* TELL ME IT'S WATER SOLUBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

Girl, I know YOU have seen this thread for as long as you have been around. I did a search and this is where I copied the above from.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/viewtopic.php?t=45874&highlight=ionic+surfactant
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!
    my Fotki hair journey/experiment diary PW is brio (and I really need to update it!)

3A hair; coloring with henna/indigo since July 2009; normally follow the CG method. Still searching for my HG products!
  • curly3acurly3a Registered Users Posts: 12
    thanks for the info, so...all those ingredients listed are bad? If so, I need to look for gel/hairspray that do not contain those ingredients?
    Thanks..sorry for all the question, just want to do this right!
    Megan
  • [Anonymous User][Anonymous User] Posts: 0 Curl Connoisseur
    The water soluable ones are ok...that means they will come out without issue.

But geesh.....I feel like a LOSER standing in the hair aisle at the store reading the back of every single bottle for like hours on end! LOL! And OMG...trying to remember those big-worded ingrediants...FORGET IT!
  • MoosemarcyMoosemarcy Registered Users Posts: 157
    carrie640, when you said "I feel like a LOSER standing in the hair aisle at the store reading the back of every single bottle for like hours on end!" I laughed so hard. I feel exactly the same way. I have never spent so much time in one aisle in my life. I feel like the store might think I'm trying to shoplift or something. :lol:
  • [Anonymous User][Anonymous User] Posts: 0 Curl Connoisseur
    LOL!!!! Now THAT is funny!! Shoplifting! Well, think about it....it does look suspicious, doesn't it?? :)
  • wild_sasparillawild_sasparilla Registered Users Posts: 4,306
    Brio wrote:

Girl, I know YOU have seen this thread for as long as you have been around. I did a search and this is where I copied the above from.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/viewtopic.php?t=45874&highlight=ionic+surfactant

:lol: Thanks - it's mostly the consensus on the board that it's water soluble even though most everything says differently...

Gotta say, it's fun to type freak-outs. :P
    OMG, LOOK!!

...It's a siggie. :shock:
  • KellKell Registered Users Posts: 201
    The no-poo thing went well for my first time. The pooing technique produced ALOT less tangles than when I scrub wtih shampoo! :)
    J&J Baby Shampoo fugged up my hair! :thumbdown:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file