How to diffuse?!

curlysophiecurlysophie Registered Users Posts: 216 Curl Neophyte
So, I know there was recently a thread by someone asking for diffusing tips, but I'm too lazy to find it...lol.

I've never been able to get diffusing right. My hair takes 4 to 4.5 hours to dry and I'm always looking for more volume. So you'd think diffusing would be perfect for me. But...no. My curls always end up frizzy, undefined, and with a bunch of flyaways.

I always use my diffuser on the lowest air flow and heat possible. I also use the pixiecurl method, where you scrunch up some hair, turn on the diffuser, hold it, turn it off, unscrunch your hair, and move to another section.

I've tried doing it right after I put my products in, I've tried waiting an hour or so. I've tried plopping beforehand, I've tried not plopping beforehand. I've tried holding the diffuser in place for 30 seconds, I've tried holding it in place for 5 minutes. Nothing seems to work!!! :sad1:

So, basically, if any of you have any tips for me, I would love to have them!

Thanks!
:love2: Curly Teen :love2:
CG since 5/2/14
3A, low/medium porosity, medium texture/thickness
~SheaMoisture Shampoos
~Suave Essentials Conditioners
~Kinky Curly Knot Today
~L.A. Looks Sport Gel

Comments

• roonilwazlibroonilwazlib Registered Users Posts: 15
    I sometimes have this problem too, and it's usually a sign my hair needs protein! I do a DIY gelatin protein treatment and then diffusing makes my hair a lot less frizzy.
    :flower:3A/B; high porosity; high density; medium width:flower:
  • curlysophiecurlysophie Registered Users Posts: 216 Curl Neophyte
    I sometimes have this problem too, and it's usually a sign my hair needs protein! I do a DIY gelatin protein treatment and then diffusing makes my hair a lot less frizzy.

Really? Huh! That's interesting. I usually don't have a protein issue, but I'll look into it! :)
    CG since 5/2/14
    ~SheaMoisture Shampoos
    ~Kinky Curly Knot Today
    ~L.A. Looks Sport Gel
  • BelleBohemienneBelleBohemienne Registered Users Posts: 375 Curl Neophyte
    Do you get frizz when you just air dry? I get frizz no matter what. I've just started back on the CG method and I'm experimenting with getting more hydration in my hair, but that may not be the issue. I read somewhere that not all frizz is bad frizz, like not all frizz is hair needing hydration. It may just be a way of life for some curlies. I think that's probably my issue. I live in Southern Louisiana where it's summer 9 out of the 12 months of the year and it's always humid here! Frizz is a daily thing for me. Even with once monthly protein treatments. I may have to do more of them, but those are so tedious!

~Belle Bohemienne
    ~Belle Bohemienne

"If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present." -Lao Tzu
  • curlysophiecurlysophie Registered Users Posts: 216 Curl Neophyte
    Do you get frizz when you just air dry? I get frizz no matter what. I've just started back on the CG method and I'm experimenting with getting more hydration in my hair, but that may not be the issue. I read somewhere that not all frizz is bad frizz, like not all frizz is hair needing hydration. It may just be a way of life for some curlies. I think that's probably my issue. I live in Southern Louisiana where it's summer 9 out of the 12 months of the year and it's always humid here! Frizz is a daily thing for me. Even with once monthly protein treatments. I may have to do more of them, but those are so tedious!

~Belle Bohemienne

Thanks for the info! I actually diffused my hair today, and although I have a little frizz, it worked pretty well! So woohoo! :tongue3:
    CG since 5/2/14
    ~SheaMoisture Shampoos
    ~Kinky Curly Knot Today
    ~L.A. Looks Sport Gel
  • BelleBohemienneBelleBohemienne Registered Users Posts: 375 Curl Neophyte
    YAY!!!! CONGRATS!!!!

~Belle Bohemienne
    ~Belle Bohemienne

"If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present." -Lao Tzu

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file