Anyone have problems with Sea Kelp?

shishacurlsshishacurls Posts: 88Registered Users
Have any of you protein sensitive curlies had any issues with sea kelp? Is it a protein? Can you actually get protein overload from sea kelp?

I tried the Desert Essence Fragrance Free conditioner and it felt awesome in the shower. Great slip, felt moisturizing enough. I thought I had found a new holy grail. But then after my hair dried, it felt a lot drier than usual. I'm wondering if it was the sea kelp? But how come I didn't feel the drying effects while in the shower? Most conditioners containing proteins will dry my hair out as soon as I apply it to my hair in the shower and it will have horrible slip. How come this product feels so nice in the shower, but not so nice after my hair dries?

Here are the ingredients for the Desert Essence Fragrance Free conditioner...
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Aloe Barbadensis Leaf (Aloe Vera) Juice*, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract (Green Tea)*, Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Glycerin (Palm), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Hydrolyzed Jojoba Esters, Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B-5), Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Lepidium Meyenii Root Extract (Maca Root)*, Yucca Brevifolia Root Extract (Yucca Cactus)*, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Water (Aqua), Symphytum Officinale Leaf Extract (Comfrey)*, Urtica Dioica (Nettle) Leaf Extract*, Macrocystis Pyrifera Extract (Sea Kelp)*, Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Extract*, Dehydroacetic Acid , Potassium Sorbate, Benzyl Alcohol, Citric Acid [/FONT]

Comments

• bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Posts: 1,308Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The Shea Moisture shampoo and conditioner have sea kelp, I've never had an issue

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using CurlTalk App
    *Current Routine*
    LP: SM RSB
    CO/CW: CJ Daily Fix, GR Restorative, SM RSB, SM SFC
    DC: SM, CJ Rehab, G.Nutrafix, DIY
    LI: a CO, KCKT
    Sealers: an oil, JC N&S
    Stylers: just CO, CJ CIAB, KCCC, aloe gel, FSG
    Once in a while: ACV, Lemon-Aid

Oils to seal, rinse, and/or pre-poo as needed :love10:

2c/3a/3b coarse, normal porosity
    :toothy4: CG since 2007 :flower:
  • KatCurlKatCurl Posts: 1Registered Users
    Have any of you protein sensitive curlies had any issues with sea kelp? Is it a protein? Can you actually get protein overload from sea kelp?

I tried the Desert Essence Fragrance Free conditioner and it felt awesome in the shower. Great slip, felt moisturizing enough. I thought I had found a new holy grail. But then after my hair dried, it felt a lot drier than usual. I'm wondering if it was the sea kelp? But how come I didn't feel the drying effects while in the shower? Most conditioners containing proteins will dry my hair out as soon as I apply it to my hair in the shower and it will have horrible slip. How come this product feels so nice in the shower, but not so nice after my hair dries?

Here are the ingredients for the Desert Essence Fragrance Free conditioner...
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Aloe Barbadensis Leaf (Aloe Vera) Juice*, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract (Green Tea)*, Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Glycerin (Palm), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Hydrolyzed Jojoba Esters, Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B-5), Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Lepidium Meyenii Root Extract (Maca Root)*, Yucca Brevifolia Root Extract (Yucca Cactus)*, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Water (Aqua), Symphytum Officinale Leaf Extract (Comfrey)*, Urtica Dioica (Nettle) Leaf Extract*, Macrocystis Pyrifera Extract (Sea Kelp)*, Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Extract*, Dehydroacetic Acid , Potassium Sorbate, Benzyl Alcohol, Citric Acid [/FONT]
    I believe that Hydrolyzed anything is a protein. So the Hydrolyzed Jojoba Esters is likely the culprit. However I have wondered about Sea Kelp myself?? Some Protein Sensitives have issues with Aloe Vera as well (first ingredient). Not sure you'll be able to determine unless you cross reference any of your other products for AV.
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I think that sea kelp is used as a source of minerals. So it might have acted like hard water on your hair and coated the hair shaft.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • SpiralHamSpiralHam Posts: 477Registered Users
    KatCurl wrote: »
    I believe that Hydrolyzed anything is a protein. So the Hydrolyzed Jojoba Esters is likely the culprit. However I have wondered about Sea Kelp myself?? Some Protein Sensitives have issues with Aloe Vera as well (first ingredient). Not sure you'll be able to determine unless you cross reference any of your other products for AV.

Not true - hydrolysis is just the name for a chemical process in which water reacts with another molecule (in this case an ester, which is not a protein) to split that molecule into two smaller molecules.

<takes off chemist's hat>

Good luck figuring out what isn't agreeing with your hair!
    Smorgasbord of finer, porous 2a-3a; straight underlayer

:thumbleft: collagen
    :thumbdown: humectants outside of optimal dews, PVP, oils/butters, anything remotely comedogenic

poos: Giovanni TTT, WF365FF, Suave Clarifying
    condishes: VO5 VMT, KLS; IonEC
    stylers: FSG, 4NSBCC, VolumaxMega, AIF, GFPC

Mod CG since 11/2012. My waves occasionally look best when combed out, so you can pry my combs from my cold, dead hands :laughing6:
  • shishacurlsshishacurls Posts: 88Registered Users
    So I figured out what the culprit was! It was not the conditioner at all! It was the shampoo I was using before the conditioner. I was washing my hair with a cheap shampoo with sulfates in it before using the conditioner. I was wondering if it was the shampoo that was doing it so I went out and bought the matching Desert Essence Shampoo that goes with the conditioner, used them together and no more dryness! I guess what you use in your hair before you try a new product can really make a difference. I am buying the matching shampoo from now on whenever I try a new conditioner. Lessen learned! :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file