Will maternity leave affect probation period at work?

sixelamysixelamy Registered Users Posts: 4,157 Curl Novice
I'm in a bind, and if anybody has any knowledge or experience with this, I could really use it! I obviously have not told work that I am pregnant, and I don't want to until I start showing and know that it is viable.

Well, I was just offered a new job today - the one I've been trying at for a while now! It means a whole new life for me and the husband, and I am so overjoyed! However, there is a 12 month probation period, and I'm wondering if maternity leave is going to affect anything? (I work for the state) I'm debating asking my current boss about it, but I don't want to spill the beans yet. I've never been in this position before. I would think, legally, it wouldn't affect anything, right? I just want to be prepared for the future so I know how to handle this.
2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
:bunny:
NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
:thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens

Comments

• scrillsscrills Registered Users Posts: 6,700
    I would suggest calling a HR/Employee line as it will vary by company

I would imagine that your probation period is based on days and it may take some manual work to adjust it to remove the maternity leave time.
  • PerriPPerriP Registered Users Posts: 6,613 Curl Neophyte
    I had a friend in a similar situation. She found out she was pregnant about 2 weeks before the new job began. Her probation period was 6 months. It was an issue for her, unfortunately, because she had severe morning sickness and had to take some days off work (then she had a couple of scares so had to leave work midday to see her dr). After her 6 months they extended her probation because she'd "taken too many days off during probation".

It resulted in a downward spiral, and she eventually resigned after a year (after her maternity leave).

All of that said, this was a new job with a new company shop no one knew her before this so there was no "normal " to compare it to, she was just the new person who kept missing work.

I would not tell them at all until you are happily in your new position and then contact HR to see how they handle it, I'm certain it's not the first time this has happened.

~ sent with love and good intentions ~
    Modified CG since Dec 2011
  • wavypenwavypen Registered Users Posts: 253 Curl Neophyte
    It's illegal to discriminate because of pregnancy (though it obviously happens), and if there are some types of issues with the pregnancy (like pre-eclampsia), the workplace is required to offer accommodations (ADA), for a temporary disability.

The law that covers most pregnancy leave (so that you can know your job is safe): FMLA does not apply until an employee has worked somewhere at least a year. Hopefully they would still be willing to give you unpaid leave even without the FMLA requirements. I think following scrills advice and contacting HR/an employee help line is the best solution. If you transferred from one department of the state government to another, you should be ok for the FMLA thing, because it's the same employer.
  • sixelamysixelamy Registered Users Posts: 4,157 Curl Novice
    Thanks ladies!

I will be ok for FMLA, I've been here for 3 years. I used it 2 years ago when I severely injured my back. I think there needs to be a year's time in between uses, so I should be fine in that respect.

I'm actually working in the same office, I'm just moving departments. I'm scared of the morning sickness if I have any and how to deal with that and work. They say it usually starts at 6 weeks, and that's next week for me. Luckily I won't be moving departments until the 17th, so we'll see what happens between now and then.

I want to call HR, but I'm also scared to tell them. From what I understand it's extremely hard to get fired from a state university - but HR has final say and needs signatures, etc. I know they can't fire me for being pregnant, I'm just scared of it happening. I'm sure they will probably extend my probation period at this point, but I'd be ok with that.
  • TRBLTRBL Registered Users Posts: 5,294 Curl Connoisseur
    You will be getting a new probation period just switching departments? That seems odd to me... but I've never worked for the state (or any gov't agency).
    When I grow up, I wanna be a Jiujitsu Turtle!

My british name, courtesy of Ninja Dog Shade Haven-Staffordshire: TRBL Hough Jewelstone Turtleneck

Its chaos a few hairs at a time. ~Minxy

"Dispute not with her: she is lunatic." -Richard III
    Yes, because it is a completely different job. Plus I'll be writing our requirement report as well as troubleshooting. It's really sensitive information that *needs* to be correct. I could really screw up the entire university. Such power lol

I ended up telling my boss today when the husband was here (he's subbing for a lady in our office that is on leave), she will keep it a secret. She gave me some advice and said not to tell until I feel comfortable. Also, it shouldn't affect my job at all, but she's unsure of how it will affect probation period. The husband seems to think they either will say I'm doing well and don't need an extension, or extend it the months that I am out if they feel the need. I'm feeling better about it now.
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    Honestly, it really just comes down to whether or not the powers-that-be want you in the position. If they do, they will move mountains to make it work out for you, down to extended probation, flextime, telecommuting, whatever. And if they don't, they'll be riding your ass the first time you leave early for a dr's appt.

Also, you might be expected to return immediately after your dr clears you (6-8 weeks) and might not have the option of an extended maternity leave. I managed to wrangle five months off and then parttime for two more months. And that was soooooooo nice. But yeah, I did have to forego some other opportunities to make it happen.
    Yeah, I don't know how it all works. I just know you can take 3 months with FMLA max. I'm sure I won't be out for 3 months. Our university has excellent benefits, so I'll look into that when it's time.

The fact I did awful on my interview tells me they want me in the position :) I know they rather hire people in-office than take newcomers. Hopefully they will work with me. My boss seems to think I should have no problem.... but then again the position has been vacant for a while now and they need someone in it. Technically, I could work from home, but whether or not I'd be allowed to...
  • JosephineJosephine Registered Users Posts: 14,408 Curl Connoisseur
    Honestly, it really just comes down to whether or not the powers-that-be want you in the position. If they do, they will move mountains to make it work out for you, down to extended probation, flextime, telecommuting, whatever. And if they don't, they'll be riding your ass the first time you leave early for a dr's appt.

Yep. I would to tell them a little later if you can to establish yourself.
  • AmnerisAmneris Registered Users Posts: 15,117
    sixelamy wrote: »
    Thanks ladies!

I will be ok for FMLA, I've been here for 3 years. I used it 2 years ago when I severely injured my back. I think there needs to be a year's time in between uses, so I should be fine in that respect.

I'm actually working in the same office, I'm just moving departments. I'm scared of the morning sickness if I have any and how to deal with that and work. They say it usually starts at 6 weeks, and that's next week for me. Luckily I won't be moving departments until the 17th, so we'll see what happens between now and then.

I want to call HR, but I'm also scared to tell them. From what I understand it's extremely hard to get fired from a state university - but HR has final say and needs signatures, etc. I know they can't fire me for being pregnant, I'm just scared of it happening. I'm sure they will probably extend my probation period at this point, but I'd be ok with that.

I wouldn't worry about morning sickness till (if) it happens. From what I have read, most women have it to some degree, but it is not debilitating or troublesome for most of them. I did not have the typical experience, in other words, but most women will feel nauseous and not throw up, or feel worse in the morning and get better in the day, or will be able to manage with ginger ale, crackers, changing how they eat, etc. If it is more serious than that, meds help a lot of people, too. I think if you expect it and worry about it, you encourage it to happen.

It can start and end at different times, not necessarily 6 weeks. If you're feeling OK now, think positive! Get lots of rest, and if sickness does become an issue, the sooner you deal with it, the better.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

So I just talked to my good friend who is an HR manager w/ a state agency. She said if you tell before you actually start working in the new position, they can rescind the offer. But if you wait to tell after you begin working in it, they cannot rescind. So wait until you begin to work in it before you say anything.

She also said you NEED to check your policy handbook to be CERTAIN you are not being considered a new hire. Bc if you are a new hire, you might not be able to use any sick time for this and will only be able to use vacation (or maybe I got it backwards). You also need to understand the childbirth policies in general, and how they relate to probation and if FMLA will apply. Every state and every agency is different. Don't assume you know. Also, you will be guaranteed maternity leave but likely not disability (if you're considered any of new hire) so would need to use your (shortened) time wisely.

She said it would be very much frowned upon for you to start working in the new position and do not tell your managing sup very soon. He/she and other staff might really resent you for putting them in a difficult position. They can't rescind the offer once you begin but if they want to "hang" you (not let you pass probation), they will and easily can. Again, it comes down to just how they feel about you and what your relationship is like and the needs of the department. If they really need someone there and do not want to work around your situation, they will let you go, and nothing you do or say can stop that. They just won't name the pregnancy as the official reason. But don't try to play them or be cute about this; you need to be respectful of the work the dept has to do and also keep the relationship as strong as you can. In the end, the dept's needs will outweigh yours, from their POV.

eta - Also are you considered (your states's version of) bargaining unit/union/hourly or exempt? If you are bargaining unit/union/hourly you might have "fallback" rights to the old/current position if things don't work out in the new position. If so, def take the the job. If not, think long and hard about whether it's worth the risk.
  • AmnerisAmneris Registered Users Posts: 15,117
    In practical terms, I would make sure you stay focussed on your work. Sheryl Sandberg (I think) talked about "don't leave before you leave" - women who sometimes don't even have boyfriends, or aren't married yet, or aren't pregnant yet, taking less responsibilities etc. at work because "they're going to have kids soon." In your case, you are pregnant, but you have almost 9 months to go. In that time, work as hard as you can - work through the discomforts of pregnancy as much as you can - and don't be seen constantly gossiping and giggling about the pregnancy, constantly planning the nursery, surfing pregnancy sites at work, etc. Obviously as things progress people will be happy and want to ask how you feel etc. and it's fine to talk about it to an extent, but don't be the woman who talks about nothing else and can't focus and moans and groans about every little ache and pain. Showing professionalism throughout will impress them and go a long way to passing that probation.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

I'm a hard worker.. hence the reason I got this position in the first place :) I don't slack around, I do my work and I know I have a lot better work ethic than most here. I don't know why I would slack off just because I'm pregnant. I'm not one of those women who gossip and talk about personal stuff at work. It's nobody's business, plus most people probably don't care anyway.

I'm a Civil Service, but we are unionizing soon (not from my vote!). I don't think I'm considered a new hire, since my paperwork indicates a transfer. My office is awesome, everybody cares about each other. I do plan to tell the supervisors probably after we see the heartbeat in a couple weeks or at the 12 weeks mark. I've told my own already. I don't know how to go about handling this. I really don't think they would rescind the offer if I said something right now. I'm more worried about telling people and then losing it in the coming weeks than I am about telling them because I don't want to lose my job.

I should probably really talk to an HR person. The office manager does HR stuff, and used to work in HR.. I'm thinking about asking her about it.
    n/m

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file