DevaCare One Condition? *Big pics*

JunyJuJunyJu Registered Users Posts: 495 Curl Neophyte
This was the conditioner my stylist used during my DevaCut, and by chance I got my hands on some, as well as the light defining gel. I tried to find threads on here for it, but it seems the Deva*Curl* one always overshadows it. I was wondering if there's anyone else out there who likes it?

I've heard that Deva products are either a yay or a nay for curlies, and, although I tried to believe otherwise to save my ever shrinking wallet, I seem to be a yay. My hair just loves it. Recently I was asking around for tips on how to get my shape back from the day of my Deva Cut, and it seems my hair is going to be stubborn and only respond that way to DevaCare. I used it yesterday and today and got amazing curls. I hate the price with everything in me as a college student, but I lucked out and my mom bought the 32 oz for me, so I should be okay for a bit.

I was also shocked by the light defining gel. Seeing light in the title made me nervous because although a 'extra-super-mega hold' gel is way too much for my hair (exaggeration, but you get the point), I also know light products don't fare well either with my curls. So I put a bit extra just to be safe, and still got fairly soft, though slightly crunchy curls, meaning I actually needed less. Which is crazy. Because it's a *light* gel? And my hair was frizz-free all day? In 95 degree, extremely humid weather???? Love.

But anyway! I digressed tremendously. Anyone use the DevaCare One Condish as opposed to DevaCurl? Or even the gel? :)

*My hair today with only those 2 in* --> Some heat damaged strands did a wacky wannabe-curl thing, but I tucked them under later on.

96e1a248a7a86b53490bf1add68a245e.jpg

6104c88a60d46209693a7e5eec0be8c8.jpg

:D
Medium texture, with some fine. Colored. High porosity, high density. 3b/3c; multicultural.

•Deep Conditioner: Shea Moisture JBCO Hair Masque
•Conditioner: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
•No-poo: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
•Styler(s): Shea Moisture JBCO Leave-In, As I Am Curling Jelly.
•CG as of 12/?/2014, BC 04/?/2015. First CG cut 7/9/2015. :happy3:

Comments

• Corrina777Corrina777 Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Curl Connoisseur
    I MUCH prefer DevaCare One C over the DevaCurl version. DevaCurl sat on top of my hair and left my roots feeling gross, where DevaCare absorbs right into my hair. I don't find much difference with No-Poo or Low-Poo, but for whatever reason, my hair really can tell the difference with the conditioner.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • JunyJuJunyJu Registered Users Posts: 495 Curl Neophyte
    That's interesting. I would have expected the DevaCurl one to be lighter because I know DevaCare is designed for color-treated and/or dry hair, so it has extra moisture.

Makes me glad I bought the DevaCare one, then! I was looking at the DevaCurl one to try. But my hair does really need the extra moisture.
    Medium texture, with some fine. Colored. High porosity, high density. 3b/3c; multicultural.

JunyJu wrote: »
    That's interesting. I would have expected the DevaCurl one to be lighter because I know DevaCare is designed for color-treated and/or dry hair, so it has extra moisture.

Makes me glad I bought the DevaCare one, then! I was looking at the DevaCurl one to try. But my hair does really need the extra moisture.

I know- most people are surprised, especially since my hair isn't dry at all. I kind of wonder if it's because of the vitamin C that's added to DevaCare line. I know it's used for helping to protect color, but vitamin C is also a treatment for hard water buildup in hair and I do have slightly hard water.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • ReservechicReservechic Registered Users Posts: 798
    This was the conditioner my stylist used during my DevaCut, and by chance I got my hands on some, as well as the light defining gel. I tried to find threads on here for it, but it seems the Deva*Curl* one always overshadows it. I was wondering if there's anyone else out there who likes it?

I've heard that Deva products are either a yay or a nay for curlies, and, although I tried to believe otherwise to save my ever shrinking wallet, I seem to be a yay. My hair just loves it. Recently I was asking around for tips on how to get my shape back from the day of my Deva Cut, and it seems my hair is going to be stubborn and only respond that way to DevaCare. I used it yesterday and today and got amazing curls. I hate the price with everything in me as a college student, but I lucked out and my mom bought the 32 oz for me, so I should be okay for a bit.

I was also shocked by the light defining gel. Seeing light in the title made me nervous because although a 'extra-super-mega hold' gel is way too much for my hair (exaggeration, but you get the point), I also know light products don't fare well either with my curls. So I put a bit extra just to be safe, and still got fairly soft, though slightly crunchy curls, meaning I actually needed less. Which is crazy. Because it's a *light* gel? And my hair was frizz-free all day? In 95 degree, extremely humid weather???? Love.

But anyway! I digressed tremendously. Anyone use the DevaCare One Condish as opposed to DevaCurl? Or even the gel? :)

*My hair today with only those 2 in* --> Some heat damaged strands did a wacky wannabe-curl thing, but I tucked them under later on.

96e1a248a7a86b53490bf1add68a245e.jpg

6104c88a60d46209693a7e5eec0be8c8.jpg

:D

Your curls look absolutely beautiful, i must say. :flower:
    Diagnosed with Scalp Eczema 6/2015
    (Don't hair type/loose curl pattern/fine texture/low density/high porosity

Current Regimen (Ayurvedic Based):
    Cleansers- Bobeam Shampoo Bars
    Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I only wear my hair in wash n gos or buns. Also,
    I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!
    Thank you! :)

• Curlybee1Curlybee1 Registered Users Posts: 55 Curl Neophyte
    I liked Care better, but mainly by I like the way it smells. I dislike the scent of the other line. (Not certain, but someone on here in the past Isaid that they are basically the same?)
    Curlybee1 wrote: »
    I liked Care better, but mainly by I like the way it smells. I dislike the scent of the other line. (Not certain, but someone on here in the past Isaid that they are basically the same?)

The most notable difference between the two is that DevaCare has Vitamin C added to the products. The other somewhat significant difference is in the No-Poo. DevaCare NP has coco betaine near the top of the ingredient list, which means it can handle silicone products and prevent buildup. It's near the end of the ingredient list on the DevaCurl NP (I occasionally use cones, so this is a big deal for me).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Corrina777 wrote: »

The most notable difference between the two is that DevaCare has Vitamin C added to the products. The other somewhat significant difference is in the No-Poo. DevaCare NP has coco betaine near the top of the ingredient list, which means it can handle silicone products and prevent buildup. It's near the end of the ingredient list on the DevaCurl NP (I occasionally use cones, so this is a big deal for me).

Thank you for sharing that! I was considering purchasing one of their shampoos and was wondering what the difference was. Also, do you know if the DevaCare and DevaCurl shampoos have different scents like the conditioners? Or are they unscented?

Thank you for sharing that! I was considering purchasing one of their shampoos and was wondering what the difference was. Also, do you know if the DevaCare and DevaCurl shampoos have different scents like the conditioners? Or are they unscented?

The No-Poo and Low-Poo (in both lines) are fragranced the same as the corresponding conditioner.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Oh okay. Thank you!

• bookgrdngirlbookgrdngirl Registered Users Posts: 403 Curl Neophyte
    Your curls look so beautiful, Juny! :flower:

It's interesting you said that the DevaCare conditioner worked so well for you because I saw it on Target online for a reasonable price. Would you say it's a huge improvement over the regular One Condition? I do like the One Condition, but for $40, I know my hair isn't being moisturized enough. It's just okay for my hair vs. amazing.

I would be interested in trying the DevaCare just out of curiosity. My hair is so long that I know it's out of my budget to buy the 32oz conditioner once a month or every 5-6 weeks. I'm already through so much of my DevaCurl conditioner and I bought it on the 6th. Right now, I'm just trying to find something that is extremely moisturizing, comes in large quantities and is cheap enough for my budget.

I don't know if you tried it, but I loooooooved the Ultra Defining Gel. Of all the Deva products that I tried, that was my favorite! It didn't even feel like gel on my hair. There was no crunch at all! I just couldn't justify spending $40 on the gel when it wasn't versatile for braids, my baby hairs etc. I do know that if I bought it in the 32oz size that I could at least get a prolonged use out of it, since very little gave me such awesome results. Eco Styler and Ultra Defining Gel have been the best gels that I've ever tried! I do want to test out the DevaCare Firm Gel, as well.
    Corkicelli multi-patterned 3B with 3A & 3C sections. High density, low porosity, norm-high elasticity & coarse. 3yrs without straightening. CG since 6/25/15. Methylisothiazolinone allergy. Protein sensitive. Cruelty free. :albino: BLOG :flower:
    • Giovanni: Avocado and Olive Oil (RO), Tea Tree Sham & Con (CW/RO)
    • KC: KT, CC, CC
    • CR: CM, GR, AWB, Balm
    • CJ: DF, CIAB, SL, CR
    • CURLS: Souffle
    • AV Juice
    • EVOO
    Your curls look so beautiful, Juny! :flower:

It's interesting you said that the DevaCare conditioner worked so well for you because I saw it on Target online for a reasonable price. Would you say it's a huge improvement over the regular One Condition? I do like the One Condition, but for $40, I know my hair isn't being moisturized enough. It's just okay for my hair vs. amazing.

I would be interested in trying the DevaCare just out of curiosity. My hair is so long that I know it's out of my budget to buy the 32oz conditioner once a month or every 5-6 weeks. I'm already through so much of my DevaCurl conditioner and I bought it on the 6th. Right now, I'm just trying to find something that is extremely moisturizing, comes in large quantities and is cheap enough for my budget.

I don't know if you tried it, but I loooooooved the Ultra Defining Gel. Of all the Deva products that I tried, that was my favorite! It didn't even feel like gel on my hair. There was no crunch at all! I just couldn't justify spending $40 on the gel when it wasn't versatile for braids, my baby hairs etc. I do know that if I bought it in the 32oz size that I could at least get a prolonged use out of it, since very little gave me such awesome results. Eco Styler and Ultra Defining Gel have been the best gels that I've ever tried! I do want to test out the DevaCare Firm Gel, as well.

Thank you! :) I haven't actually tried the DevaCurl One Condition, but I have heard that the difference is that DevaCare has vitamin C in it, and I know my stylist said that it is more moisturizing because it is intended for dry hair, so I definitely think it would be worth a try! Also, smell before you buy! Some people don't like the orangey scent, and though I love it, I don't want you to buy it only to hate the smell!

I think my stylist actually used the Ultra Defining Gel on my hair, I'm not certain. But I really think she did. I like the light one, and am shocked that it gives me good hold despite being 'light'. I am considering buying the tiny version of the ultra to try it out. If it works, that means I could use even less product, which is preferable!

Thank you so much for mentioning about the orange scent. I went and Googled the ingredients. I can't use it anyway. I have a severe lemon allergy and that's too much citrus for my allergy. I have to be very careful about anything in the critic family. I can tolerate low levels of citric acid (not lemon) but I'm not supposed to be exposed to very much.

You should honestly give it a shot! I think the 3oz samples are $9 perhaps? I have hip-length hair and I was able to get awesome usage from it. I could use about a palmful of it. Even using it "sparingly," so to say, I was getting awesome hold and definition. I think two-four 32oz bottles could last me a year... which is a ridiculous long time for my hair. I honestly didn't think that I was going to like it as much as I did, but I really did!! The scent very nice too -- it smells really fresh and clean; nothing lemon-y or over potent like the other Deva products that I have used. It's also very easy to manipulate the Ultra gel; it's easy to dilute it if you want less of a gel or firm hold. That was the only Deva product that I've tried so far and fell in love with!
    Corkicelli multi-patterned 3B with 3A & 3C sections. High density, low porosity, norm-high elasticity & coarse. 3yrs without straightening. CG since 6/25/15. Methylisothiazolinone allergy. Protein sensitive. Cruelty free. :albino: BLOG :flower:
    • AV Juice
    • EVOO
    Thank you so much for mentioning about the orange scent. I went and Googled the ingredients. I can't use it anyway. I have a severe lemon allergy and that's too much citrus for my allergy. I have to be very careful about anything in the critic family. I can tolerate low levels of citric acid (not lemon) but I'm not supposed to be exposed to very much.

You should honestly give it a shot! I think the 3oz samples are $9 perhaps? I have hip-length hair and I was able to get awesome usage from it. I could use about a palmful of it. Even using it "sparingly," so to say, I was getting awesome hold and definition. I think two-four 32oz bottles could last me a year... which is a ridiculous long time for my hair. I honestly didn't think that I was going to like it as much as I did, but I really did!! The scent very nice too -- it smells really fresh and clean; nothing lemon-y or over potent like the other Deva products that I have used. It's also very easy to manipulate the Ultra gel; it's easy to dilute it if you want less of a gel or firm hold. That was the only Deva product that I've tried so far and fell in love with!

So glad I said something, then! And I will definitely have to pick up one of those little bottles, then!

Juny, I think you will really like it! :)

I won a free sample of the Supercream and I'm really excited to test that out. I haven't had the best DevaCurl luck, but maybe my hair will like the Supercream. :tongue3:

I figure at the very least, it gives me a free product to feed my inner PJ! LOL. The full size Supercream is $28, so I definitely got lucky by the free sample.

I'm considering buying the 12oz version of the Ultra Defining Gel from ULTA this week. I guess I'll see! I always feel guilty for how much that I've been splurging on hair products lately. Hopefully I'll find some HG products shortly. :)
    • AV Juice
    • EVOO
    Juny, I think you will really like it! :)

I won a free sample of the Supercream and I'm really excited to test that out. I haven't had the best DevaCurl luck, but maybe my hair will like the Supercream. :tongue3:

I figure at the very least, it gives me a free product to feed my inner PJ! LOL. The full size Supercream is $28, so I definitely got lucky by the free sample.

I'm considering buying the 12oz version of the Ultra Defining Gel from ULTA this week. I guess I'll see! I always feel guilty for how much that I've been splurging on hair products lately. Hopefully I'll find some HG products shortly. :)

I won one too! My stylist actually used the super cream in my hair during my Deva Cut, but she used so many other products that I'm not sure what effect it had, so I'm excited to try it again and see how it works!

And I know how you feel. I've found my HG products and *still* get tempted to try new products, just because!

• OnduleeOndulee Registered Users Posts: 1,305 Curl Connoisseur

I know- most people are surprised, especially since my hair isn't dry at all. I kind of wonder if it's because of the vitamin C that's added to DevaCare line. I know it's used for helping to protect color, but vitamin C is also a treatment for hard water buildup in hair and I do have slightly hard water.
    I wanted to revive this post because if you have chlorine in your municipal water supply the vitamin c in Devacare could neutralise the chlorine and that's good for your hair. I sprinkle vitamin c crystals in my tap water before drinking and it totally removes the smell and taste of the chlorine.

Now I'm eager to try the Devacare conditioner for myself.
    shoulder length bob; fine; 3A-3B; thin density; normal porosity; normal elasticity- my hair loves keratin, ACV, silk protein ,Curlkeeper and AG:Recoil ; needs moisturizing products and hates oils except mineral oil; CG- Jan/'09-mod CG Sept/'09;CG again Jan/'10/mod CG from Mar'10

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file