Co-washing Methods

JunyJuJunyJu Registered Users Posts: 495 Curl Neophyte
My method doesn't seem to be working, so I'm going to try experimenting this week and see what gives me the best results.

Currently, this is my method:

1. Sit under water to allow my hair to get soaked. Test it by gently trying to run my fingers through.
2. When wet enough, I grab my clip and section off my hair, starting from the back, and saturate each section in conditioner from back all the way to the front.
3. Clip it all at the top of my head and do other things for 2-3 minutes.
4. Un-clip it and run a little water through, turning off the water and leaving most conditioner in.
5. Scrunch SM smoothie on my ends, then smooth more over the rest of my hair.
6. Flip and scrunch, scrunch, scrunch.
7. Plop with a tee.
Done!

Also, if you have tips instead of sharing a routine/method, that's fine too! This is basically what my stylist did the day of my Deva Cut, except she put me under a blow dryer and diffused after, and I just plop. (Which could make a difference as well, but I don't have a hooded dryer to be able to know...) Trying to get more volume and less falling!
Medium texture, with some fine. Colored. High porosity, high density. 3b/3c; multicultural.

•Deep Conditioner: Shea Moisture JBCO Hair Masque
•Conditioner: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
•No-poo: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
•Styler(s): Shea Moisture JBCO Leave-In, As I Am Curling Jelly.
•CG as of 12/?/2014, BC 04/?/2015. First CG cut 7/9/2015. :happy3:

Comments

• BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Registered Users Posts: 2,075 Curl Neophyte
    Do you not use your fingers to 'rub' it into your scalp in order to cleanse?
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • JunyJuJunyJu Registered Users Posts: 495 Curl Neophyte
    Do you not use your fingers to 'rub' it into your scalp in order to cleanse?

No, I usually only do that with my no-poo. Should I do that with my conditioner as well?
    Medium texture, with some fine. Colored. High porosity, high density. 3b/3c; multicultural.

• BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Registered Users Posts: 2,075 Curl Neophyte
    JunyJu wrote: »
    No, I usually only do that with my no-poo. Should I do that with my conditioner as well?

Yeah, I think so! That's what I've always done/read that other people do too. I think you need to in order to loosen the dirt, otherwise you're not actually washing your hair properly.

It's the scalp that gets dirty and can get clogged and is the thing that actually needs to be cleaned. So it's important to 'rub'/massage the conditioner in (gently) to really cleanse properly and efficiently :)
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • JunyJuJunyJu Registered Users Posts: 495 Curl Neophyte
    JunyJu wrote: »

Yeah, I think so! That's what I've always done/read that other people do too. I think you need to in order to loosen the dirt, otherwise you're not actually washing your hair properly.

It's the scalp that gets dirty and can get clogged and is the thing that actually needs to be cleaned. So it's important to 'rub'/massage the conditioner in (gently) to really cleanse properly and efficiently :)

Okay! I'll do it tomorrow morning, then. I'm due for my weekly wash too, conveniently.

• FaanciFaanci Registered Users Posts: 2
    I have been doing a lot of research and I feel overwhelmed with all the good stuff I'm reading. Especially when it comes to methods/routines.

Can I get a breakdown of the following:

1) co-washing aka CGM?
    2) wash n go
    3) the LOC method

I think I am doing the CGM. I use DevaCurl no poo on my scalp and rinse then I condition my hair with DevaCurl conditioner then I detangle with a wide tooth comb and wash out with cool water. I use a tshirt after I'm down and style with organix curl cream and DevaCurl gel then I defuse with cool air.

I have 3a/b thin/fine spiral hair. Its dull and weak and the length is to my bra in long layers which I feel is killing my volume; even when I use a pick. Not to mention my hair doesn't hold a style for a full day.
  • DrRachDrRach Registered Users Posts: 264 Curl Neophyte
    Cowashing for me is simple as my hair is very fine/low density and is only just shoulder length. I just apply my no poo to my scalp and really massage it in well for about a minute. Then i rinse it off thoroughly, again massaging my scalp well to remove all traces of the conditioner and dirt. On the days i 'wash' with water only i do the same but just massage my scalp well under the shower for about a minute.

Then i add my RO for at least 5 minutes or a DT/PT for 15-20 mins, rinse well and apply my leave in.
    3 b Baby fine, Low density, high porosity, naturally pale blonde. And a UK Curly Girl:thumbleft:
    No/Low Poo: Palmers Olive Oil Cowash
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    DT/PT: CJ Repair Me!, SM Fruit Fusion
    Stylers: LUS Curly 3in1 leave in

• CatitudeBooCatitudeBoo Registered Users Posts: 590 Curl Connoisseur
    I apply my conditioner across my fingertips first and then massage that into my scalp. Afterwards, I'll pour a palmful of conditioner in my hand and work that through my hair. I then use a vent brush to evenly distribute it and clip my hair into a topknot while I complete the rest of my shower. Take the topknot down, rinse for 5-10 seconds and I'm done.
    CG since Dec. 2013  B)
    3b/c ~ fine ~ high porosity ~ low density
    No-Poo: SheaMoisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Shampoo 
    RO: Tresemme Botanique Nourish & Replenish Conditioner 
    Stylers: Tresemme Flawless Curls Mousse & Extra Hold Hairspray 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file