Braid out help on transitioning hair

AmberChristyAmberChristy Posts: 3Registered Users
Hey everyone! As a way to stay away from heat this summer I've been trying to do braid outs on my hair when I don't feel like just air drying it straight. I'm only two and half months post relaxer so they are kind of hard to achieve since 95% of my hair is straight. I apply my leave in if I've just washed my hair or a moisturizer if its the days following a wash day along with some gel for hold, braid my hair and leave them in overnight. When I take them out the next day they are nice but they never last more than a day and I always have to re-braid my hair each night, which takes about 45 minutes, until I wash it again. Not only that, but moisturizing and sealing my hair each night like I've read you're supposed to do, along with gel, ends up giving me a lot a buildup and weighs my hair down. Is there a way I can do a braid out the day I've washed my hair and get it to last multiple days, maybe even a week, while still keeping it moisturized and defined or is that something that I'd only be able when I'm farther along my transition?

Feel free to mention any other heatless curly styles I could try as well :)

Comments

• MissQuirkyMissQuirky Posts: 44Registered Users
    Personally when I was at the stage you are, I could not get a braid or twist to stay at all. I put my hair in a bun either on top of my head or at the nape of my neck for a good 9 months or so. Then I cut off a large amount of the damage in a mini chop, which helped it a lot. I don't know if anyone else had success with it, but for me I just bunned it up for a while since no style would stay remotely.

Not sure if it helped, maybe someone has a better answer for you.
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm not a transitioning expert by any means but you didn't mention if your hair is fine. Fine hair doesn't like to hold manufactured curls so putting humidity on top of it is :sad1: . When I was relaxed especially in high humidity any curls would have fallen out. My hair in a pony tail. That's how I ended up with heat damage. The only way my hair would hold a little better is to use a good setting lotion and roll small sections on small perm rods for tight curls. Honestly I have seen completelty relaxed hair people do braid outs on yt and I have yet to see one I thought looked good. really flat lifeless imo. I second the bun suggestion.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • AmberChristyAmberChristy Posts: 3Registered Users
    My strands are thick, not fine, but my ends have thinned a bit from breakage. Overall I think I'll revisit braid outs when it starts getting cooler because at that point I'll have more new growth which should make it easier and there won't be as much humidity. I agree with both of you that buns might be my main style of choice which I actually don't mind because I like my hair out of my face. I could even do a mini braid out (just 4-5 braids) and wear it up in a bun for a more textured, fuller look, and maybe with the right products/technique I could get that bun to last a few days!
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My strands are thick, not fine, but my ends have thinned a bit from breakage. Overall I think I'll revisit braid outs when it starts getting cooler because at that point I'll have more new growth which should make it easier and there won't be as much humidity. I agree with both of you that buns might be my main style of choice which I actually don't mind because I like my hair out of my face. I could even do a mini braid out (just 4-5 braids) and wear it up in a bun for a more textured, fuller look, and maybe with the right products/technique I could get that bun to last a few days!

The braided bun sounds cute. If yiu want You could use little gel only around the edges or maybe a pomade which should help your build up problem..Also buns would be better than braidout to protect ends although if the breakage is bad imo you should get a trim. You don't want splits going up the strand. Just make sure bun isn't too tight because your LOD is very weak breakage prone. Have you ever done flat twists? That would be super cute in the front leading to the bun.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file