Favorite leave-in conditioner?

bookgrdngirlbookgrdngirl Registered Users Posts: 403 Curl Neophyte
I'm currently looking for a leave-in conditioner.

I've heard some great things about Mixed Chicks' leave in, but heard it can be a hit or miss for some people. I'm not sure yet how my hair feels about silicones yet either. I'm going to avoid silicones for a little bit before I decide they're something my hair likes. At the moment, I don't know if I can afford Mixed Chicks or not anyway. If I try it, it'll be a product that I check out later on. If it's something you love, I'd be happy to hear your thoughts. :)

I was thinking of buying Giovanni's leave in, but heard more negative than positive since apparently the formula changed. I really would love something that's inexpensive (maybe less than $13) -- but expensive leave-in recommendations would be okay too. I can't afford anything expensive at the moment, but I could always add it to my hair wish-list for the future. :angel7:
Corkicelli multi-patterned 3B with 3A & 3C sections. High density, low porosity, norm-high elasticity & coarse. 3yrs without straightening. CG since 6/25/15. Methylisothiazolinone allergy. Protein sensitive. Cruelty free. :albino: BLOG :flower:
  • Giovanni: Avocado and Olive Oil (RO), Tea Tree Sham & Con (CW/RO)
  • KC: KT, CC, CC
  • CR: CM, GR, AWB, Balm
  • CJ: DF, CIAB, SL, CR
  • CURLS: Souffle
  • AV Juice
  • EVOO

Comments

• anonymous_150263anonymous_150263 Registered Users Posts: 773
    I'm actually having really good results with tresseme perfectly undone conditioner as a leave in. Previously I had used asiam leave in but it's pricy

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
  • DrRachDrRach Registered Users Posts: 264 Curl Neophyte
    CJ smoothing lotion, I absolutely love it! Also KCKT and Aunt Jackies Quench are favourites in my rotation.
    3 b Baby fine, Low density, high porosity, naturally pale blonde. And a UK Curly Girl:thumbleft:
    No/Low Poo: Palmers Olive Oil Cowash
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    DT/PT: CJ Repair Me!, SM Fruit Fusion
    Stylers: LUS Curly 3in1 leave in

• bookgrdngirlbookgrdngirl Registered Users Posts: 403 Curl Neophyte
    I'm actually having really good results with tresseme perfectly undone conditioner as a leave in. Previously I had used asiam leave in but it's pricy

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App

I am going to give them a shot! I know there's two silicone free conditioners, so I'm excited to try them... especially since they're so cheap and there's so much product!! I'll definitely give it a shot as a LI. :)

I've been using the One Condition as a LI, but I can only use a little bit or else it'll make my curls sag for awhile. I used it the other day as an actual LI (my hair is coarse, so it loves moisture) but it didn't moisturize that well and it tugged my curls. It gave me a weird wavy patch. My curls eventually dried normally, but it wasn't something that I liked. Yesterday, I leftover some SM coconut conditioner as a light LI and it didn't sag my curls... but I don't know how it would particularly work as a LI.

I still have a lot of Deva conditioner so I might try again, but I'm not a fan so far. :(
    Corkicelli multi-patterned 3B with 3A & 3C sections. High density, low porosity, norm-high elasticity & coarse. 3yrs without straightening. CG since 6/25/15. Methylisothiazolinone allergy. Protein sensitive. Cruelty free. :albino: BLOG :flower:
    • AV Juice
    • EVOO
    DrRach wrote: »
    CJ smoothing lotion, I absolutely love it! Also KCKT and Aunt Jackies Quench are favourites in my rotation.

I'm going to order the sample kit from CJ. I remember how much you raved about CJ to me (along with a few other members) so I'm really excited to test out their products. I wish I would've

I'm definitely going to try KCKT. The price is really nice good on that, as well. :) Do you use it as a detangler or just as a LI? The price on Aunt Jackie's is awesome as well, so I'll read the reviews to compare. I might end up buying that and the KCKT.
    • AV Juice
    • EVOO

I'm going to order the sample kit from CJ. I remember how much you raved about CJ to me (along with a few other members) so I'm really excited to test out their products. I wish I would've

I'm definitely going to try KCKT. The price is really nice good on that, as well. :) Do you use it as a detangler or just as a LI? The price on Aunt Jackie's is awesome as well, so I'll read the reviews to compare. I might end up buying that and the KCKT.

I use KCKT (and the other products) as a leave in only. I detangle with my conditioner (Moisturizing or protein-rich) before using the LI. Quench is a great product and very good value for money. :)
    3 b Baby fine, Low density, high porosity, naturally pale blonde. And a UK Curly Girl:thumbleft:

• eveumeveum Registered Users Posts: 744 Curl Neophyte
    Lol I never have a favourite leave in. I just constantly try to use up all my failed detangling conditioners. Right now and for the foreseeable future I will be using my half full 1L bottle of Redken diamond oil conditioner. It was useless for slip so I use it as a leave in now. I only use one little blob after washing and then again two times on dry hair throughout the week.

Low Shampoo: Aveda Be Curly Shampoo
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture/ Perfectly Undone
    Treatments: SM Black Castor Oil Masque/ Packet Gelatine
    Leave in: Redken Diamond Oil Conditioner
    Styling: AG Recoil Curl Activator/V05 Mega Hold/Cornstarch
    Refresh: Redken Fresh Curls Curl Boost

Between Waist and Hip Length (stretched), 2C with 2B roots
  • orangeserendipity32orangeserendipity32 Registered Users Posts: 313 Curl Connoisseur
    I actually still really like the Giovanni Direct Leave in! It is my go to warm weather leave in (and it works for me all year round if I add a lil jojoba oil to it). I think the major ingredient change that they added (near the beginning of the ingredients) is aloe. My hair happens to love aloe, but I can see how it would make a big difference to those peeps that don't love aloe since it is a significant amount compared to the other ingredients. My cold weather standby is KCKT, and it is a must try!=) I also have used SheaMoisture coconut hibiscus milk when in a pinch and I really liked it for that purpose too! I have been wanting to try the As I am Leave-in as I've heard it be compared to KCKT.
    2c?/low-med porosity/medium texture
    Cruelty Free & CG
    Winter Routine:
    Co-wash: As I Am or Nubian Heritage Indian hemp and Tamanu
    Low-Po: Acure Argan Oil and Pumpkin Mega Moisture
    Condish: Acure "
    LI: Kinky Curly Knot Today
    Stylers: Mop Top curling Custard, Max Green Alchemy scalp rescue sculpting gel, Dermorganics spray gel as finisher, SOTC w/ Curls passion fruit control paste
    Refresh w/: Shea Moisture coconut hibiscus hold and shine mist and jojoba oil
    DT:  A variety of Shea Moisture 

http://public.fotki.com/orange32
    pw=ringlet
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Registered Users Posts: 2,075 Curl Neophyte
    Quench is a great product and very good value for money. :)

Yep, yep, yep! Aunt Jackie's Curl Quench is my new staple leave-in. It's so cheap and the perfect consistency for me.
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:

Yep, yep, yep! Aunt Jackie's Curl Quench is my new staple leave-in. It's so cheap and the perfect consistency for me.

Yes! Perfect for me too, its very easy to distribute and so light, plus it smells nice and the price is perfect too ;-)

• eche428eche428 Registered Users Posts: 2,782 Curl Neophyte
    I actually still really like the Giovanni Direct Leave in! It is my go to warm weather leave in (and it works for me all year round if I add a lil jojoba oil to it). I think the major ingredient change that they added (near the beginning of the ingredients) is aloe. My hair happens to love aloe, but I can see how it would make a big difference to those peeps that don't love aloe since it is a significant amount compared to the other ingredients. My cold weather standby is KCKT, and it is a must try!=) I also have used SheaMoisture coconut hibiscus milk when in a pinch and I really liked it for that purpose too! I have been wanting to try the As I am Leave-in as I've heard it be compared to KCKT.

I second the Giovanni Direct Leave In. I was a confirmed Suave Naturals user until the PJ in me reared its ugly head and I bought the GDLI. I love this stuff along with the Ouidad Gel I have NEVER had such amazing feeling and looking curls. I always thought I had to either have hair that felt good but looked frizzy and flyaway or felt horrible and looked great. Now I have both! And in Minnesota humidity too!
    < member since 2006 (no idea where 1969 came from :toothy10:).

[FONT=&quot]Med/high porosity; color treated; med [FONT=&quot]d[/FONT]ensity 2c/3a.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Summer: (high dew point) co-wash [FONT=&quot]& leave-in [/FONT]Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair[FONT=&quot]. [/FONT]Ouidad Climate Control Heat & Humidity Gel.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Spring and Fall: (perfect dew point) co-wash & leave-in Curl Junkie Repair Me! or [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]BeautiCurls Strengthening Hair Conditioner; f[FONT=&quot]ollo[/FONT]wed by [FONT=&quot]CJ Pattern Pusha & [/FONT]Curl Queen.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] W[/FONT]inter: (low dew point) add in [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]Coffee-Coco Curl Creme Lite[FONT=&quot].[/FONT][/FONT]
  • BlasianDouglaBlasianDougla Registered Users Posts: 4 Curl Neophyte
    I just finished a two week challenge trying to figure out the same thing. I tried KCCC with KCKT as leave in and w/o KCKT as leave in; Mixed Chicks (which I'd been using for a few years) both w/ and w/o the deep conditioner as leave in; and Miss Jessie's leave-in w/ pudding... I used each set for 4 consecutive days to make sure the results were consistent. Hair type: Mostly 3A in front and 3C in back w/ some 3B thrown in the middle.

KCCC w/ KCKT as a leave in... it was just okay. I wasn't In Love with the results but my Day 2 was pretty good with just some water spritzing.

KCCC w/o KCKT as a leave in.... much better. My curls were more defined and not so heavy and flat.

Mixed Chicks w/ deep conditioner as leave in... perfect hair. Loved it. Just as good on Day 2 w/ a little water spritzing.

Mixed Chicks w/o deep conditioner as leave in... again, perfect hair. But my Day 2 needed a little more than just some water spritzing as I got some frizz in the back.

Miss Jessie... just hated it. My curls were not as curly, instead they felt yucky and heavy. I guess my hair does not care much for Miss Jessie.

I recently cut off most of my hair so I wanted to see which worked better on my now short TWA. I have given away my Miss Jessie but will keep the others in rotation.

Maybe I'll try a few more options next month.
    :hello2:

3a / 3b / 3c

Yep... my hair is funky-weird like that. :cyclopsani:
  • orangeserendipity32orangeserendipity32 Registered Users Posts: 313 Curl Connoisseur
    eche428 wrote: »

I second the Giovanni Direct Leave In. I was a confirmed Suave Naturals user until the PJ in me reared its ugly head and I bought the GDLI. I love this stuff along with the Ouidad Gel I have NEVER had such amazing feeling and looking curls. I always thought I had to either have hair that felt good but looked frizzy and flyaway or felt horrible and looked great. Now I have both! And in Minnesota humidity too!

I'm in MN too! I have never tried Ouidad gel, but maybe I should w/ this crazy humidity.=)
    2c?/low-med porosity/medium texture
    Cruelty Free & CG
    Winter Routine:
    Co-wash: As I Am or Nubian Heritage Indian hemp and Tamanu
    Low-Po: Acure Argan Oil and Pumpkin Mega Moisture
    Condish: Acure "
    LI: Kinky Curly Knot Today
    Stylers: Mop Top curling Custard, Max Green Alchemy scalp rescue sculpting gel, Dermorganics spray gel as finisher, SOTC w/ Curls passion fruit control paste
    Refresh w/: Shea Moisture coconut hibiscus hold and shine mist and jojoba oil
    DT:  A variety of Shea Moisture 

http://public.fotki.com/orange32
    pw=ringlet
  • eche428eche428 Registered Users Posts: 2,782 Curl Neophyte

I'm in MN too! I have never tried Ouidad gel, but maybe I should w/ this crazy humidity.=)

It's been over a week of using the Ouidad everyday. So far it is fantastic. I've had none of the issues other people on here have had with it. I LOVE this stuff. Today I even have passable 2nd day hair for the first time in years! Now it's not a good as my first day hair but I'd not be embarrassed to go out in public. Of course I'm working from home today so no one but my husband and cats to see it. I'm not sure which of the three would even notice good or bad hair! LOL
    < member since 2006 (no idea where 1969 came from :toothy10:).

[FONT=&quot]Med/high porosity; color treated; med [FONT=&quot]d[/FONT]ensity 2c/3a.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Summer: (high dew point) co-wash [FONT=&quot]& leave-in [/FONT]Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair[FONT=&quot]. [/FONT]Ouidad Climate Control Heat & Humidity Gel.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Spring and Fall: (perfect dew point) co-wash & leave-in Curl Junkie Repair Me! or [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]BeautiCurls Strengthening Hair Conditioner; f[FONT=&quot]ollo[/FONT]wed by [FONT=&quot]CJ Pattern Pusha & [/FONT]Curl Queen.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] W[/FONT]inter: (low dew point) add in [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]Coffee-Coco Curl Creme Lite[FONT=&quot].[/FONT][/FONT]

I use KCKT (and the other products) as a leave in only. I detangle with my conditioner (Moisturizing or protein-rich) before using the LI. Quench is a great product and very good value for money. :)

Thank you very much!
    • AV Juice
    • EVOO
    eveum wrote: »
    Lol I never have a favourite leave in. I just constantly try to use up all my failed detangling conditioners. Right now and for the foreseeable future I will be using my half full 1L bottle of Redken diamond oil conditioner. It was useless for slip so I use it as a leave in now. I only use one little blob after washing and then again two times on dry hair throughout the week.

I'm trying so hard to use my ROs as a leave-in. The only conditioner that I own that my hair seems to like as a leave-in is my Shea Moisture. I've been trying to make my Deva conditioner work as a leave-in (which is why I justified spending so much) but my hair just doesn't like it. :( I thought that I could use it as a RO and leave-in, but it doesn't work for my hair.
    • AV Juice
    • EVOO
  • PerriPPerriP Registered Users Posts: 6,613 Curl Neophyte
    I also use Giovanni direct leave in. But, I only use this on dry hair at night (if I know I'm not washing in the morning) and in the morning if I'm refreshing it also on dry hair (I run my hands under water briefly then scrunch in the leave in)

If I'm washing, I use curl junkie curl rehab as a leave in (a tiny tiny amount)

~ sent with love and good intentions ~
    Modified CG since Dec 2011

I don't know if my hair likes aloe or not, but the Giovanni isn't expensive so I definitely want to still try it. A Youtuber that I follow with similar hair properties and texture as me seemed to really like it. She said it definitely improved her volume... which I always am happy to get! KCKT looks like a great buy for me, so I can't wait to test that and the Giovanni out.

How long does the Giovanni last you? I also want to try the Shea Moisture: C&H milk! It looked like it'd be moisturizing. I'm waiting for another BOGO sale before testing it out, though.

I was considering buying the As I Am, but it had an ingredient that I'm allergic to. :(
    • AV Juice
    • EVOO

I'm so excited to try this now!! I'm going to get it soon. Hopefully it'll work j my hair, as well! The price is such an awesome thing for me.
    • AV Juice
    • EVOO

Thank you! I'm definitely going to try Giovanni -- hopefully it's great!!

I've never tried Ouidad before! Someone on YouTube that I follow (she has almost the same exact hair properites and texture) has done a review on an Ouidad gel. Now I'm curious about that! I'll have to watch it to see how she likes it. :)
    • AV Juice
    • EVOO
    I just finished a two week challenge trying to figure out the same thing. I tried KCCC with KCKT as leave in and w/o KCKT as leave in; Mixed Chicks (which I'd been using for a few years) both w/ and w/o the deep conditioner as leave in; and Miss Jessie's leave-in w/ pudding... I used each set for 4 consecutive days to make sure the results were consistent. Hair type: Mostly 3A in front and 3C in back w/ some 3B thrown in the middle.

KCCC w/ KCKT as a leave in... it was just okay. I wasn't In Love with the results but my Day 2 was pretty good with just some water spritzing.

KCCC w/o KCKT as a leave in.... much better. My curls were more defined and not so heavy and flat.

Mixed Chicks w/ deep conditioner as leave in... perfect hair. Loved it. Just as good on Day 2 w/ a little water spritzing.

Mixed Chicks w/o deep conditioner as leave in... again, perfect hair. But my Day 2 needed a little more than just some water spritzing as I got some frizz in the back.

Miss Jessie... just hated it. My curls were not as curly, instead they felt yucky and heavy. I guess my hair does not care much for Miss Jessie.

I recently cut off most of my hair so I wanted to see which worked better on my now short TWA. I have given away my Miss Jessie but will keep the others in rotation.

Maybe I'll try a few more options next month.

Wow -- thank you so much! That was so helpful. :) My hair is also multi-textured. I'm mostly 3B, though.

I'm going to order the sample size of the Mixed Chicks leave-in. I don't know if my hair likes silicones or not, but I figure that a sample size of a product is the best way to figure out. :) If I don't like it, it won't hurt my bank or force me to finish a product that my hair hates.

I decided not to try Miss Jessie's -- too many gross ingredients, horrible reviews and way overpriced. If I'm going to pay for an expensive product, I want to know that it's worth it. I'm sure there has to be some nice MJ's products, but nobody with my hair texture and properties seems to like it.

I haven't tried the KCCC! I'm going to eventually try it. Have you tried the KCKT as a detangler or just as a leave-in? I'm going to buy KCKT, Giovanni's leave-in, Aunt Jackie's leave-in and the Mixed Chicks leave-in sample.
    • AV Juice
    • EVOO
    PerriP wrote: »
    I also use Giovanni direct leave in. But, I only use this on dry hair at night (if I know I'm not washing in the morning) and in the morning if I'm refreshing it also on dry hair (I run my hands under water briefly then scrunch in the leave in)

If I'm washing, I use curl junkie curl rehab as a leave in (a tiny tiny amount)

~ sent with love and good intentions ~

That's so interesting that you use it on dry hair! I never thought of applying conditioner on dry hair. I've never tried that before. I'm definitely interested in trying that. I'm so excited to try Giovanni! I'll definitely test it on dry and wet hair to see what results that I get.

I'm really excited to try Curl Junkie. I've heard so many awesome things!
    • AV Juice
    • EVOO
  • FeedYourHeadFeedYourHead Registered Users Posts: 248 Curl Connoisseur
    I recently bought As I Am leave-in conditioner as part of my LOC routine, and I'm loving it! My curls had been feeling dry but are now really soft.
    Name: FeedYourHead's Hair

Description: 3A/3B/2C in the back, Botticelli, medium, thick, low porosity, modified CG since 2008

Likes: Shea Moisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil sulfate-free shampoo; Curls Coconut Curlada conditioner; KCKT; LA Looks Extreme Sport Gel; coconut oil; honey; banana hair masks
    Dislikes: Silicones (:thumbdown:), Hairbrushes (:eek:) and harsh detergents (:protest:)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file