Hit a wall

abrianamarieabrianamarie Registered Users Posts: 19
Hi everyone!
So, I've been doing some version or another of the curly girl method for a couple of years now. But, my hair has never really looked anything like the pictures I see of other CG girls. I have never in my life experienced second day hair because I've really never in my life experienced first day hair, honestly lol. My hair is thick and somewhere between medium and coarse. I have a lot of hair, yet it is pretty light. But, it gets frizzy and loses curl, so it just get poofy, throughout the day. Honestly, if I ever think my hair looks good, it is for like an hour (of no activity and no wind). I think I just have never figured out the correct amount of moisture my hair needs and what products to use. I don't hate the products I have used for years, but I think I need to find new products that are known for being super moisturizing. Btw, I think I have low porosity hair? I look back at pictures from two years ago and wish my hair looked like that again. The reason I say this, is because my hair was still poofy and frizzy soon after drying it, but at least it was healthier.I had problems with it, and I never loved it the way I wish I could, but in hindsight, it could have been worse. And now it is.

For the past 8 months, I've been drying my hair with a soft bonnet dryer every single day. And for the last 6 months, or so, I've been straightening my hair. Not all of it (my hair is down past my lower back), but I have been straightening the roots down to around my ears. For a while, I liked the way it looked. I still had my curly hair, but the top looked more controlled and it seemed like it would be an easy way to wear my hair without the top getting too frizzy. However, as you can easily imagine, my hair is now damaged. I feel like an idiot. The top of my hair is broken and dry and frizzy.

I don't know what to do. I feel like I can't stop straightening it because I need to go out in the world and I can't let myself go out with my damaged hair. I'm so disappointed in myself because I never used to straighten my hair before this. I also feel like I can't stop using my soft bonnet dryer because my hair literally takes 10 hours to air dry, compared to the hour it take under the dryer. I'm a college student full-time. I work close to full-time. And the hours it takes to do my hair now ruins a lot of my social life. I can't imagine going back to having wet hair for my entire day. I feel like I'm at a complete loss. I don't know what to do. There is so much information and so many products and so many opinions out there. I think I'm making headway, but then I find something that deters that.

I know this isn't super specific, but if anyone can help at all, I'd really appreciate it. I need new methods and new products. Should I do protein treatments? What deep conditioners are the best? Can I fix my damaged roots without shaving my whole head? How do CG with LONG THICK hair get their hair to dry and still have a life? I hope to one day have moisturized amazing curls that last two days! One can dream. Ay yi yi

Comments

• Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    I'm so sorry you're having so many problems with your hair! Mine is a constant struggle also...can't figure out what it wants. I often resort to pulling it back in a ponytail just to look presentable.

As for suggestions of what to do, perhaps as you wait to grow out the damage you could wear your hair up? Is it long enough to do that? Or can you pull the sides back with clips? You could maybe find some fun hair accessories that would make growing out the damage a little more enjoyable. I wonder if spreading a little pomade (a heavy styling product) over the canopy would help with the frizzies on top.

If your hair takes an entire day to dry, yes, that sounds like low porosity. Wendy on the Science-y Hair Blog says that if you have low porosity, putting oils on your hair can be helpful, because the oils will penetrate over several hours and moisturize your hair deep down. Then you can wash out the excess oil the next day. You have to use specific oils that penetrate, though. Coconut oil and sunflower oil are two oils that she mentions are good.

Another thing you could possibly try is getting a hair analysis from GooseFootPrints on Etsy. I think it's $27 or something. It's done by the gal who has the Science-y Hair Blog. She can analyze your hair and give recommendations such as what your texture and porosity are, whether to use protein, etc. I've not done it myself, but maybe it would be helpful for you? Others on the forum have done it; I think there are some threads discussing it.

I'm kind of a newbie, so if I've said anything incorrect, I hope someone will correct me.

I sure hope things get better for you soon!
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • SandiSandi Registered Users Posts: 364 Curl Neophyte
    Cotton t-shirts are life. That and plopping. My full day of wet hair is now 30 min to an hour. Patting out excess moisture is also less damaging than using a heat dryer.

Just a guiding tip: In the future, it would be best for you to separate long posts into paragraphs and be specific about the kind of advice you're looking for.
    Hair Type: 3c/4a, Coarse, Med-High Density, Med-Low Porosity
    Curly since '09
  • abrianamarieabrianamarie Registered Users Posts: 19
    Therese1 wrote: »
    I'm so sorry you're having so many problems with your hair! Mine is a constant struggle also...can't figure out what it wants. I often resort to pulling it back in a ponytail just to look presentable.

As for suggestions of what to do, perhaps as you wait to grow out the damage you could wear your hair up? Is it long enough to do that? Or can you pull the sides back with clips? You could maybe find some fun hair accessories that would make growing out the damage a little more enjoyable. I wonder if spreading a little pomade (a heavy styling product) over the canopy would help with the frizzies on top.

If your hair takes an entire day to dry, yes, that sounds like low porosity. Wendy on the Science-y Hair Blog says that if you have low porosity, putting oils on your hair can be helpful, because the oils will penetrate over several hours and moisturize your hair deep down. Then you can wash out the excess oil the next day. You have to use specific oils that penetrate, though. Coconut oil and sunflower oil are two oils that she mentions are good.

Another thing you could possibly try is getting a hair analysis from GooseFootPrints on Etsy. I think it's $27 or something. It's done by the gal who has the Science-y Hair Blog. She can analyze your hair and give recommendations such as what your texture and porosity are, whether to use protein, etc. I've not done it myself, but maybe it would be helpful for you? Others on the forum have done it; I think there are some threads discussing it.

I'm kind of a newbie, so if I've said anything incorrect, I hope someone will correct me.

I sure hope things get better for you soon!
    Thanks! That's all really helpful! I'm definitely going to look into a hair analysis!
  • abrianamarieabrianamarie Registered Users Posts: 19
    Sandi wrote: »
    Cotton t-shirts are life. That and plopping. My full day of wet hair is now 30 min to an hour. Patting out excess moisture is also less damaging than using a heat dryer.

Just a guiding tip: In the future, it would be best for you to separate long posts into paragraphs and be specific about the kind of advice you're looking for.
    I use cotton tshirts to get excess water out. I also plop. I've been following CG for a few years. Still takes 7-10 hours for my hair to dry. It's thick and down past my lower back. Lol thanks for the paragraph advice, I fixed it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file