Any CG's using Rogaine?

RosehillRosehill Registered Users Posts: 5
Hi there. I'm new to the forum and could use some advice! I'm a 2c/3a ish and recently diagnosed with androgenetic alopecia. I follow the CG method on my chin length (and obviously thin!) hair.

My dermo prescribed me Rogaine, 5% strength, 2x day. I use the foam right now and I've been using for 3.5 weeks. And with curly hair, this stuff is so awful to apply. No matter how careful I am, I end up a frizzy mess as I have to disrupt my curls to get the med on my scalp.

At the moment I put on the foam by parting my hair in 5 different places on the top (one part at a time, from left to right), carefully separating my curls, or so I try....and clipping near the root so I can access my scalp. I do this after I wash or rinse (I do one or the other daily), and my hair has product in it and has dried.

I'm wondering if you can tell me how you apply this stuff without destroying your curls? Any and all advice needed, please! And thanks. :)

Comments

• babykicks03babykicks03 Registered Users Posts: 53
    I have short anagen syndrome and use rogain. The liquid is easier. I put it in a needle point bottle and its much better

3B curls
    SheaMoisture coconut and hibiscus conditioner as co wash and leave in
    ACV and honey rinse
    SheaMoisture coconut and hibiscus smoothie for definition
    Curlkeeper

• thinandwavythinandwavy Registered Users Posts: 7
    I use the women's foam which you only have to use once a day, so I just put it in after dinner. That way I don't have to worry about what my hair looks like because I'm home for the night and it still has time to dry so I don't get it on my pillowcase and grow hair on my face or something.
    2C/3A
    High porosity
    Low density
    Low elasticity
    Medium to coarse
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    Rosehill, sorry to learn of your situation.

First, do you have to put it all over your head? If that is what you need to do, I think you are doing it the best way possible.

I use the foam, but I only use it on hairline and the back of my head. I put it on at night and wet my hair or shampoo in the morning. Can you ask your derm if it is possible to use it only once a day and if you would get the same results? It might take longer to achieve the results but it might mean your curls would be fine if you could use it when you aren't wetting your hair.

I suggest contacting your dr. and letting him/her know the problem and see if you are offered a solution.

Good luck, sweetie. I know it's awful to have hair loss.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • RosehillRosehill Registered Users Posts: 5
    Thank you all so much for the suggestions-- and your kind words! Hair loss is such a bummer, and I'm so sorry that you all deal with it too. I'm glad to have found a supportive place like this. ::home:

I just bought it in liquid form to see which I like better (great idea about the Needlepoint bottle) and plan to apply once daily, at night. And I'll apply Twice daily as often as I can, when life allows me the luxury of messy hair. I figure if I at least do the 5% foam or liquid nightly then I am at least getting the full manufacturer recommended dosage (5% 2x day is what my derm said to start with, so higher than what's on the box. Maybe she's is giving me room to back it off a bit if side effects appear?). Although I will check with her however and make sure this game plan is ok...

Thank you again, ladies. The advice is so appreciated!
  • babykicks03babykicks03 Registered Users Posts: 53
    Im on %5 twice a day too. Its only been about a month so not long enough to know yet but the roots of my hair do seem thicker so im hopeful.
    Is it helping you?

3B curls
    SheaMoisture coconut and hibiscus conditioner as co wash and leave in
    ACV and honey rinse
    SheaMoisture coconut and hibiscus smoothie for definition
    Curlkeeper

• RosehillRosehill Registered Users Posts: 5
    Not sure yet. I've only been on it for five weeks. I did seem to have an increase in shedding the first two or three weeks (and well, that's fun when you're already thinning!). But seems to have calmed a bit this week.

I did read that the shedding is a sign it will work, so I'm hoping that's true. Hope it works for you, too!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file