Glycerin free equivalent to SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie?

CurlyCorCurlyCor Registered Users Posts: 74 Curl Neophyte
So I have porous hair and live in a tropical climate. I tried the CES and it would define my curls wonderfully but once I stepped outside, my hair would poof! So out of curiosity, are there any other products simliar to the CES that do not contain glycerin? I would like for it to have natural ingredients or majority natural ingredients as well. Thanks in advance!
2c/3a in the canopy 3b everywhere else ~ Normal to High Porosity~ Fine but A LOT of hair ( So high density?)

Poo: Jason's Dandruff Shampoo/ Elucence Moisuture Benefits
RO: Tresemme Botanique
Styling: CJ Curl Fix as LI, Curling jelly or CJPP or CIAB, Topped with BRHG.
Protein Treatment: Curl Junkie Repair Me

Comments

• NvmbrCurlssNvmbrCurlss Registered Users Posts: 732 Curl Neophyte
    The SM Milk? Similar ingredients, minus the aloe, glycerin and salt.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3B, Fine, Normal P, Normal E, Low-Med D
    LowP: Kinky Curly Come Clean (50% EVOO)
    NoP: As I Am CC
    RO: Suave Coconut, VO5 Shea Cashmere
    LI: KCKT or CJBCLI or HETT/HENOYF (w/ 8 drops GSO)

"To much is given, much is expected"
  • ReservechicReservechic Registered Users Posts: 798
    I have tried alot of products, and i have yet to ever come across any product that is very similar to SM CES, whether glycerin free or not. SM Curl & Style Milk has a much lighter, creamier consistency, but is in no way similar to the CES, even though it is glycerin free. Because you are having issues with SM not working best for your curls during this time of year. then, i would recommend stopping usage of it at this time, and waiting to try it again, when the weather gets cool/cold out. Now, if it doesn't work well for you during the cooler months either, then that's a tell tale sign that its best that you discontinue usage of it.

I do know that you had been waiting on your order from CurlMart to come with the new products that you bought. Hopefully, you will find much success with these new products.
    Diagnosed with Scalp Eczema 6/2015
    (Don't hair type/loose curl pattern/fine texture/low density/high porosity

Current Regimen (Ayurvedic Based):
    Cleansers- Bobeam Shampoo Bars
    Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I only wear my hair in wash n gos or buns. Also,
    I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!
  • NvmbrCurlssNvmbrCurlss Registered Users Posts: 732 Curl Neophyte
    Some curlies have success using Eden Bodyworks Curl Defining Cream or Cantu Coconut Curling Cream as alternatives. However they both ALSO contain aloe and glycerin, which are the humectants that commonly give hair trouble in summer (aka high dews/humidity). Maybe it's worth a shot?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3B, Fine, Normal P, Normal E, Low-Med D
    LowP: Kinky Curly Come Clean (50% EVOO)
    NoP: As I Am CC
    RO: Suave Coconut, VO5 Shea Cashmere
    LI: KCKT or CJBCLI or HETT/HENOYF (w/ 8 drops GSO)

"To much is given, much is expected"
  • ReservechicReservechic Registered Users Posts: 798
    Some curlies have success using Eden Bodyworks Curl Defining Cream or Cantu Coconut Curling Cream as alternatives. However they both ALSO contain aloe and glycerin, which are the humectants that commonly give hair trouble in summer (aka high dews/humidity). Maybe it's worth a shot?

I actually own the Cantu Curling Cream, and it isn't an exact match for SM CES at all. It is not as dense, and doesn't provide as much weight to ones curls as the CES, plus it does have petroleum, glycerin, and fragrance listed very high on its ingredient listing. . And this product is not all natural, like the CES is.

The Eden BodyWorks Curl Defining Cream has a pudding like texture to it, that of course is quite different than the texture of the CES. It is not highly moisturizing, even though it does contain glycerin in it, but it does provide a medium based, flexible hold to it, and is labeled as being humidity resistant. It does have a fake perfumey type of coconut scent, just like everything else in the Eden BodyWorks Coconut Shea line. And, even though companies can list their products as being all natural, like Eden Body Works does with this product, it is not completely 100% all natural at all based upon the ingredients within it.

Because all products with glycerin certainly aren't formulated the same, it is okay if you'd like to give either or both products a try. My hair can handle aloe and glycerin all year round no matter the dew points, humidity levels, or temps. Which is why, i simply go with what my hair responds best to product wise. Yes, there are some products that my hair has not responded well to that have glycerin in them. When i see that my hair doesn't respond well to a product, i simply stop usage of it at once, and know not to ever use that product again in my hair is all. Also, because we both have medical scalp conditions, we each must pay very special attention to exactly how a product reacts with our scalps. Because if a product aggravates the seborrheic dermatitis that you have on your scalp, then you would have to cease use of it immediately.
    Diagnosed with Scalp Eczema 6/2015
    (Don't hair type/loose curl pattern/fine texture/low density/high porosity

Current Regimen (Ayurvedic Based):
    Cleansers- Bobeam Shampoo Bars
    Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I only wear my hair in wash n gos or buns. Also,
    I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file