is your long curly hair angled front to back?? Not working for me.

rswrsw Registered Users Posts: 69 Curl Novice
I went to a new person based on reccos from NC -- and am again miserable.

I went to stylist since front and sides of my hair were longer than the back (due to a different botched cut). I've let back grow and went for cut on Sat.
It was cut so sides blend into back. BUT, it's now cut angled all the way down -- from front to back -- with different lengths (so not laying down).

In the past, when I had a regular person, it was cut from ear to back with a slight rounded shape (almost a u). Felt like I had a solid base. And angled slightly in the front (front to ear area). Now that it's all angled, I feel like hair is all different lengths and they dry at different places. And it's poofy. So again not good looking.

For those with long, tight curly hair, how is your hair cut? All angled from front to back? Is it slight angle then solid base? I'm very curious?

Thanks,
3B/C hair. Getting more awful looking by the day

Comments

  • rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,355 Curl Connoisseur
    unfortunately we have to be VERY SPECIFIC with what we want in a cut. i also don't like the u cut, i think it works best with long faces, mine is round. so every time i go for a cut (3x/yr) i do re specify that i want it even all around in length, not a u cut. don't know if that is what he would do, but i don't want to take any chances. photos are also great to bring on your phone or in your hand.
    the hardest part i think about a u cut is that if you don't like it it does take longer for the sides to grow in. but it does grow. keep playing around with it, making the part different, until you come up with a style you like. also, how long is the back? is it long enough for someone to just trim the bottom of the back to a more even place?

    3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • rswrsw Registered Users Posts: 69 Curl Novice
    Thanks rbb. My current cut is not a "u" (TG) with tail in back. It's more an angle from face frame all the way to back. The back meets together somewhat straight across. BUt i'm used to a more one length bottom and only angle from face to ear. ii'll try to take a pic later to explain. Have no idea what my next steps are.
  • JunyJuJunyJu Registered Users Posts: 495 Curl Neophyte
    My hair seems to be acting differently from the day of my Deva Cut, and because I am unable to style it the way she did, I have found that she gave me just what you're talking about - a 'u' cut! What's worse is that it looks more like a 'v', and it's not cute at all. I try to put gel in it to make it shrink up more, but it just looks so weird.

    I'm so disappointed. It really seemed like that cut was great, but each day I feel like I'm finding more and more problems. And what's more, that was *the* cut my parents said I could get before school starts. And I don't have the money to fix it. :(
    Medium texture, with some fine. Colored. High porosity, high density. 3b/3c; multicultural.

    •Deep Conditioner: Shea Moisture JBCO Hair Masque
    •Conditioner: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
    •No-poo: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
    •Styler(s): Shea Moisture JBCO Leave-In, As I Am Curling Jelly.
    •CG as of 12/?/2014, BC 04/?/2015. First CG cut 7/9/2015. :happy3:
  • rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,355 Curl Connoisseur
    JunyJu wrote: »
    My hair seems to be acting differently from the day of my Deva Cut, and because I am unable to style it the way she did, I have found that she gave me just what you're talking about - a 'u' cut! What's worse is that it looks more like a 'v', and it's not cute at all. I try to put gel in it to make it shrink up more, but it just looks so weird.

    I'm so disappointed. It really seemed like that cut was great, but each day I feel like I'm finding more and more problems. And what's more, that was *the* cut my parents said I could get before school starts. And I don't have the money to fix it. :(

    i'm going to suggest something drastic -- how much longer is the back? is it possible for your mom or a trusted friend to cut just the bottom back hair maybe an inch or so (not too much as it will ruin the 'line' of the cut)? i've done it myself. again, don't take off too much but you can do at least an inch. do you think that would help? because honestly, if you had the money of fix it, that is really what you would want them to do.
    i have to say your hair looks good, tho. so maybe just try different parts, etc. and see if that works.

    3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,355 Curl Connoisseur
    just looking at your avatar again, i take back the cutting it suggestion. it seems to have a great line, so i think you are better off leaving it and just playing around with different products in different ways. i think cutting the back would ruin the look of the cut totally. i'm betting you get compliments.

    i am sure other nc members will have ideas, suggestions to offer.

    3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • rswrsw Registered Users Posts: 69 Curl Novice
    JunyJu-
    I think your hair looks great in the pic (avatar). It looks healthy too.
    I'm going to try to get a pic and post my hair to try to explain this weekend.
  • anonymous_150263anonymous_150263 Registered Users Posts: 773
    When my hair was long I always got it cut straight all the way around with maybe a few layers around the face.

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
  • JunyJuJunyJu Registered Users Posts: 495 Curl Neophyte
    Thank you guys!

    Unfortunately the day I took that picture is the only day it's actually looked that way. The last few times I've tried to get it that way, I've had no luck. It just falls. I've tried adding less product, and even using nothing but conditioner, but nothing works. And I know it isn't an issue of how much product, because that day she put a TON of products in my hair, and lots of all of them. I tried flipping my hair when applying product because she did that to it too, but my hair still falls and doesn't spring up the way it did when she did it. It's basically back to acting the way it did before the cut, and I can't figure out how to get it the way she did to save my life.

    I think you're right about not cutting, only because I know that if I ever do manage to get it back like that, it will look fine. It's just a matter of figuring out how she got my hair in that afro-like shape, because now it just wants to fall towards my shoulders.
    Medium texture, with some fine. Colored. High porosity, high density. 3b/3c; multicultural.

    •Deep Conditioner: Shea Moisture JBCO Hair Masque
    •Conditioner: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
    •No-poo: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
    •Styler(s): Shea Moisture JBCO Leave-In, As I Am Curling Jelly.
    •CG as of 12/?/2014, BC 04/?/2015. First CG cut 7/9/2015. :happy3:
  • rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,355 Curl Connoisseur
    JunyJu wrote: »
    Thank you guys!

    Unfortunately the day I took that picture is the only day it's actually looked that way. The last few times I've tried to get it that way, I've had no luck. It just falls. I've tried adding less product, and even using nothing but conditioner, but nothing works. And I know it isn't an issue of how much product, because that day she put a TON of products in my hair, and lots of all of them. I tried flipping my hair when applying product because she did that to it too, but my hair still falls and doesn't spring up the way it did when she did it. It's basically back to acting the way it did before the cut, and I can't figure out how to get it the way she did to save my life.

    I think you're right about not cutting, only because I know that if I ever do manage to get it back like that, it will look fine. It's just a matter of figuring out how she got my hair in that afro-like shape, because now it just wants to fall towards my shoulders.

    i would do 2 things -- try to remember her procedure, in what order did she do what and how did she handled your hair. you could even give her a call and tell her you want it to look the way she did it and what would she suggest.
    the other is using clips. my hair also wants to fall forward, i think left to it's own devices it would clump into one curl lying forward down my face, LOL. what i found helpfuls is using clips. you have to try different ways for your hair.
    what i found works best for my hair is if i let it air dry for at least an hour (so i can see how it wants to go and i will work with it rather than against it) then i clip the top into the way i'd like it to fall. i can even do this on dry hair, and sometimes i'll refresh using a bit of conditioner on the palms of my hands and running my hands under the faucet so there is a bit or water to help emulsify it. then i'll clip.
    it may not work the first time but keep playing around til you see how to work with your hair.

    3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • JunyJuJunyJu Registered Users Posts: 495 Curl Neophyte
    rbb wrote: »
    JunyJu wrote: »
    Thank you guys!

    Unfortunately the day I took that picture is the only day it's actually looked that way. The last few times I've tried to get it that way, I've had no luck. It just falls. I've tried adding less product, and even using nothing but conditioner, but nothing works. And I know it isn't an issue of how much product, because that day she put a TON of products in my hair, and lots of all of them. I tried flipping my hair when applying product because she did that to it too, but my hair still falls and doesn't spring up the way it did when she did it. It's basically back to acting the way it did before the cut, and I can't figure out how to get it the way she did to save my life.

    I think you're right about not cutting, only because I know that if I ever do manage to get it back like that, it will look fine. It's just a matter of figuring out how she got my hair in that afro-like shape, because now it just wants to fall towards my shoulders.

    i would do 2 things -- try to remember her procedure, in what order did she do what and how did she handled your hair. you could even give her a call and tell her you want it to look the way she did it and what would she suggest.
    the other is using clips. my hair also wants to fall forward, i think left to it's own devices it would clump into one curl lying forward down my face, LOL. what i found helpfuls is using clips. you have to try different ways for your hair.
    what i found works best for my hair is if i let it air dry for at least an hour (so i can see how it wants to go and i will work with it rather than against it) then i clip the top into the way i'd like it to fall. i can even do this on dry hair, and sometimes i'll refresh using a bit of conditioner on the palms of my hands and running my hands under the faucet so there is a bit or water to help emulsify it. then i'll clip.
    it may not work the first time but keep playing around til you see how to work with your hair.

    I will certainly try! The only thing from her routine that I can't repeat is the hooded dryer, because I don't have one at home *yet*. Though I'm not sure if that had too much of an effect on the outcome
    Medium texture, with some fine. Colored. High porosity, high density. 3b/3c; multicultural.

    •Deep Conditioner: Shea Moisture JBCO Hair Masque
    •Conditioner: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
    •No-poo: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
    •Styler(s): Shea Moisture JBCO Leave-In, As I Am Curling Jelly.
    •CG as of 12/?/2014, BC 04/?/2015. First CG cut 7/9/2015. :happy3:
  • rswrsw Registered Users Posts: 69 Curl Novice
    I'm still curious-- of those with longer hair that falls below shoulders -- how is hair cut??
    Is it one solid almost one length base, slightly rounded so it does not look square on bottom with slight angles near face -- or, is cut different lengths from front to back?
    Do you guys think I should try to repost as I'd like to get folks to maybe show in a pic?
  • MyrnaMyrna Registered Users Posts: 2,472 Curl Connoisseur
    Whats a U cut? and cant long hair get an angled bob with the front/sides being longer than the rest of the cut?
  • bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Registered Users Posts: 1,308 Curl Neophyte
    @rsw I had about four deva cuts and I loved them the first few times. I started hating how thinned my ends were looking as I wanted to go longer. I cut my hair to my shoulders and then got a deva cut one more time as it started growing out. The lady who does my hair is over an hour away and is pretty expensive. I also leave with whatever hair because I have to style it and mess with it to see how I truly feel about it the days that follow. Long story short (pun intended lol), I'm back to cutting my own hair myself for the most part. I'm on a journey for thicker ends. This is was my hair before and after my first deva cut-you can see how thin the ends were getting because of the "v" or whatever. As you can see in the second picture, the deva really fixed that scraggly looks and I loved it. The deva cuts that followed the first two began to feel like they were putting lots of layers in my hair and made it start to thin out again. I really did not like feeling so mullet like. The last two photos are my hair yesterday when I washed it. I cut it myself a little over a month and a half ago. I used faye's method to cut the length and my mom snipped it straight across. Then, I went in and trimmed curl by curl. I took atleast an inch off to freshen things up. I used a pair of great quality scissors that I got from Sally's that I only use for hair cutting. I used to cut my hair in high school on and off with some trips to the salon if I wanted a real change. I'm not sure if I'm going to go t a stylist or not but you never know. I like the freedom of being able to cut/trim my own hair because I have more control. Not to mention, I can save a pretty penny that I would much rather spend on say product. I really don't think it's fair that we curly girls have to pay more to have our hair cut "right". Sorry for the rant lol, let me know if I helped or if you have any questions. :)

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using CurlTalk App
    *Current Routine*
    LP: SM RSB
    CO/CW: CJ Daily Fix, GR Restorative, SM RSB, SM SFC
    DC: SM, CJ Rehab, G.Nutrafix, DIY
    LI: a CO, KCKT
    Sealers: an oil, JC N&S
    Stylers: just CO, CJ CIAB, KCCC, aloe gel, FSG
    Once in a while: ACV, Lemon-Aid

    Oils to seal, rinse, and/or pre-poo as needed :love10:

    2c/3a/3b coarse, normal porosity
    :toothy4: CG since 2007 :flower:
  • bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Registered Users Posts: 1,308 Curl Neophyte
    Myrna wrote: »
    Whats a U cut? and cant long hair get an angled bob with the front/sides being longer than the rest of the cut?

    This is what a "u" cut looks like: https://www.google.com/search?q=u+cut+vs+other&rlz=1C1EODB_enUS533US540&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=667&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAWoVChMI6v6uzoGbxwIVgakeCh37XAyF#tbm=isch&q=u+cut+hair

    It's basically a hair cut that is more rounded at the bottom as opposed to straight across or a "v" cut which has a more drastic point like this: https://www.google.com/search?q=v+cut&rlz=1C1EODB_enUS533US540&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=667&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAWoVChMIs_3flYKbxwIVgaYeCh3OwADY#tbm=isch&q=v+cut+hair

    When I had longer hair with lots of layers, it used to be a lot like what you described. It was like I had my hair cut in an "a line'" that was sitting on top of my long hair in the form of layers. When I was in highschool (Class of 2012), everyone was really into straight hair with lots of layers at the top that they would tease. Curly hair wasn't sought after and happened by accident when I had swim... everyone thought I had a perm lol. Needless to say, it was easy to cut your own bangs and have that cute messy look. I just really miss my grandmother (she's in India) and her hair. She would put her hair in a bun by wrapping it a certain way and she always told me all these little tips and tricks. She would always wash my hair in the tub with this amla shampoo and nag at me about oiling my hair. She had a lot of black and grey in her hair last time I saw her and I just miss the woman. My goal is warrior princess hair that I can wear curly but I can also braid and tie up like a totally bad girl. :cya:
    I guess it also would be useful because I run a lot and buns etc. just do not stay. Enough about me lol. :shock:
    *Current Routine*
    LP: SM RSB
    CO/CW: CJ Daily Fix, GR Restorative, SM RSB, SM SFC
    DC: SM, CJ Rehab, G.Nutrafix, DIY
    LI: a CO, KCKT
    Sealers: an oil, JC N&S
    Stylers: just CO, CJ CIAB, KCCC, aloe gel, FSG
    Once in a while: ACV, Lemon-Aid

    Oils to seal, rinse, and/or pre-poo as needed :love10:

    2c/3a/3b coarse, normal porosity
    :toothy4: CG since 2007 :flower:
  • MyrnaMyrna Registered Users Posts: 2,472 Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks for the links! I thought you were referring to a U shape around your face. The V shape leaves the hair looking quite a bit thinner at the bottom, unless one is blessed with reall thick hair. I have gotten U's before and will probably do so again when I grow out what I have now.
  • bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Registered Users Posts: 1,308 Curl Neophyte
    @Myrna I think of that when I here "u" cut. I think pictures really help display what we actually mean. I'm curious to know how the "u" you're talking about works. How long do you think you'd lile to grow your hair out? I'm curious. Your hair's color is beautiful.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using CurlTalk App
    *Current Routine*
    LP: SM RSB
    CO/CW: CJ Daily Fix, GR Restorative, SM RSB, SM SFC
    DC: SM, CJ Rehab, G.Nutrafix, DIY
    LI: a CO, KCKT
    Sealers: an oil, JC N&S
    Stylers: just CO, CJ CIAB, KCCC, aloe gel, FSG
    Once in a while: ACV, Lemon-Aid

    Oils to seal, rinse, and/or pre-poo as needed :love10:

    2c/3a/3b coarse, normal porosity
    :toothy4: CG since 2007 :flower:
  • MyrnaMyrna Registered Users Posts: 2,472 Curl Connoisseur
    I thought a U shape was short layers around the face, gradually getting longer. Here is my current cut.
  • rswrsw Registered Users Posts: 69 Curl Novice
    Thanks for the pics and links bringingcurliesback.
    I like your pic #3 and #4 -- the others -- I agree ends are too thin. I really don't like when they style with hair that goes into a "V" in the back.
    Were you able to cut your own hair from a "V" to what it is now? Impressive.
    My hair is in angle all the way down and ends feel so, um, frayed. Hair does not end together. All end at different places -- making ends feel weak, dry and so odd.
    I can't wait til it grows a bit more so I can get a trim. But need some more length.
    Thanks!!
  • bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Registered Users Posts: 1,308 Curl Neophyte
    @rsw
    Absolutely, I just saw your post and felt like I went through the exact same thing. It was frustrating because it seemed like I was the only one who felt the way I did about my hair. I actually had my hair cut off to just barely brushing my shoulders by a regular stylist, then not too soon after I had a deva cut and really specified how I wanted to avoid how thin my hair was getting at the ends. It was a great cut but I new that's how things start and it just goes downhill from there. It had been many months since my last haircut and my ends were feeling rough so I had my mom cut about an inch off the ends and I went to cut all the shorter pieces from my last deva cut. Thank you! :cya:

    In regards to your hair, was it cut with a razor? Even if your hair angles down, you can have them cut the angle curl by curl as it makes its way down that way the hair is collectively curling in stead of being frayed in individual strands. Definitely wait it out if that's what you need to do, definitely post before and after pictures as I'd love to see them!

    No problem about posting, I think it's important to leave feedback and post pictures for things like haircuts because this is a great resource for everyone. Not to mention, go back to if years from now I wonder what my hair looked like etc. It definitely saves your from the heartache of growing your hair out/cutting it only to know that was a style you dreaded a few years ago but forgot about. That and the fact it's nice to know you are not the only one. I'm so glad you asked and made a thread! ;-)

    @Myrna
    I think that's like an upside down "u" shape in terms of layers so that might be why. Either way, I think I now understand the inverted and normal "u". It's amazing how many ways hair can be interpreted. Pictures definitely help sometimes.
    *Current Routine*
    LP: SM RSB
    CO/CW: CJ Daily Fix, GR Restorative, SM RSB, SM SFC
    DC: SM, CJ Rehab, G.Nutrafix, DIY
    LI: a CO, KCKT
    Sealers: an oil, JC N&S
    Stylers: just CO, CJ CIAB, KCCC, aloe gel, FSG
    Once in a while: ACV, Lemon-Aid

    Oils to seal, rinse, and/or pre-poo as needed :love10:

    2c/3a/3b coarse, normal porosity
    :toothy4: CG since 2007 :flower:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file