Wavy patch in back of head?

bookgrdngirlbookgrdngirl Registered Users Posts: 403 Curl Neophyte
All of my hair are very standard 3s. However today after I washed my hair, my wet hair was 2c waves vs. standard 3b curls which have always been in the back of my head. It's still wet so I don't know how it'll look when it dries... but this has never happened to me ever. My nape is still very curly.

I can't figure out what I'm doing that's causing this. The only thing that I did differently was use the DevaCurl 'One Condition' as a leave-in. I've been using a very small amount to leave in my hair, but never used it as an actual leave-in. My hair is coarse (actual definition of coarse in the hair world; my texture is very wiry) and I thought that the curls would be more defined with leave-in vs. without leave-in. Could it be the conditioner doing this?

I swear to God that somehow I always have hair problems with DevaCurl. I bought the One Condition again because I thought it might help me save money on not buying a leave-in. I'm about to just give up with their brand... :(
Corkicelli multi-patterned 3B with 3A & 3C sections. High density, low porosity, norm-high elasticity & coarse. 3yrs without straightening. CG since 6/25/15. Methylisothiazolinone allergy. Protein sensitive. Cruelty free. :albino: BLOG :flower:
  • Giovanni: Avocado and Olive Oil (RO), Tea Tree Sham & Con (CW/RO)
  • KC: KT, CC, CC
  • CR: CM, GR, AWB, Balm
  • CJ: DF, CIAB, SL, CR
  • CURLS: Souffle
  • AV Juice
  • EVOO

Comments

• JunyJuJunyJu Registered Users Posts: 495 Curl Neophyte
    It could be the heaviness of the product. When I got my Deva Cut and my stylist used OneCondition, she also left it in my hair as a leave-in, and it made my curls 'sag' and look less springy at first. But once it dried, they sprung up again. I hope that's what it is for you too! I know I was weirded out at first too when it happened.
    Medium texture, with some fine. Colored. High porosity, high density. 3b/3c; multicultural.

•Deep Conditioner: Shea Moisture JBCO Hair Masque
    •Conditioner: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
    •No-poo: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
    •Styler(s): Shea Moisture JBCO Leave-In, As I Am Curling Jelly.
    •CG as of 12/?/2014, BC 04/?/2015. First CG cut 7/9/2015. :happy3:
  • bookgrdngirlbookgrdngirl Registered Users Posts: 403 Curl Neophyte
    JunyJu wrote: »
    It could be the heaviness of the product. When I got my Deva Cut and my stylist used OneCondition, she also left it in my hair as a leave-in, and it made my curls 'sag' and look less springy at first. But once it dried, they sprung up again. I hope that's what it is for you too! I know I was weirded out at first too when it happened.

You were totally right! :icescream:

My hair is curling up normally now since it's drier and not soaking wet like it was. I wonder if it's the product weight of it? I just got so upset because I never saw my hair do that before and it gave me a mini-heart attack. I'm not necessarily sure how I like this conditioner as a leave-in yet. I don't really feel like it's moisturizing my hair. Did it moisturize your hair as a LI?

I'm ordering Kinky Curly and Giovanni this week, so hopefully they'll be great. :)
    Corkicelli multi-patterned 3B with 3A & 3C sections. High density, low porosity, norm-high elasticity & coarse. 3yrs without straightening. CG since 6/25/15. Methylisothiazolinone allergy. Protein sensitive. Cruelty free. :albino: BLOG :flower:
    • AV Juice
    • EVOO
    I honestly don't think it made any difference as far as moisturizing my hair, that was one of my immediate thoughts after my Deva Cut (and style). I feel like I have been able to get the same results with my Aussie Moist, HEHH, or Suave conditioners.

But yeah. When she first put it in I definitely noticed how it made my curls drop, and it was confusing for me too. Overall, if I had it, that would be my main reason for using it. Otherwise, I'd not buy it, especially for the price. Why spend that much when I can get a nice sized bottle of Suave conditioner for $2 in any yummy scent I like and the same results?

I'm glad I was able to help! :)
    Medium texture, with some fine. Colored. High porosity, high density. 3b/3c; multicultural.

I honestly don't think it made any difference as far as moisturizing my hair, that was one of my immediate thoughts after my Deva Cut (and style). I feel like I have been able to get the same results with my Aussie Moist, HEHH, or Suave conditioners.

But yeah. When she first put it in I definitely noticed how it made my curls drop, and it was confusing for me too. Overall, if I had it, that would be my main reason for using it. Otherwise, I'd not buy it, especially for the price. Why spend that much when I can get a nice sized bottle of Suave conditioner for $2 in any yummy scent I like and the same results?

I'm glad I was able to help! :)

I feel like it moisturizes it as a RO, but not as a LI. I'm going to try some other conditioners and see how it goes when I run out of this. I really wish that instead of spending $52 on Deva, I would've tested out SheaMoisture, KKCC or Carol's Daughter etc. first. But I think almost everyone who starts a hair jouurney probably feels like that when they were first experimenting with different products.

I'm going to give the TRESemmé Naturals conditioner a shot to see how my hair likes that.

My hair loved Aussie! I used to use Aussie's "Three Minute Miracle," and it made detangling so much easier for me. I never tried their regular conditioner; just their "3 Minute Miracle." I'm not sure how my hair feels about silicones yet to try out silicone products. I guess we'll see.

I swear this stuff is making my hair take longer to dry. My hair takes about 48 hours to airdry fully... but it's taking longer than usual. I got aggravated and just threw it up in a pony-tail. I left out some curls, though. They look pretty nice at least.
    • AV Juice
    • EVOO
    Funny you should say that! I felt like it made my hair take a long time to dry too. She sat me under the hooded dryer for like 30 minutes then diffused for another 20, and I felt like with my plopping and diffusing I got it done much sooner than that.

And the smell was okay, but I prefer others that I've had. I feel like it's a smell I would eventually grow tired of.

• ginabean98ginabean98 Registered Users Posts: 197
    Deva has protein, and so after multiple uses of it in a row my coarse & thick hair becomes hard and icky, bc the coarser the hair the less likely you are to need protein. But for me that's caused mostly by the gel.
    2c/3a, botticelli/s'wavy, thick hair :queen:
    Devacuts 3.5.14, 7.16.15
    CG 9.11.14, on & off for years before
    :sunny:
    GOD really loves you. ∞
    HGs: SM Shampoo, SM conditioners (RO), LA Looks Sport gel
    *I love scalp scrubs, bangs, clipping roots, and diffusing!*
    I wash my hair 1-2 times a week, usually 1
    :cat:
  • machermacher Registered Users Posts: 1,031 Curl Connoisseur

Yep when drying it looks like I'll have no waves/curls. After I squish to condition I start seeing waves. However not until the 2nd day I'll start to see my hair get more wavy curly. My hair always looks better on the 2nd day.
    ginabean98 wrote: »
    Deva has protein, and so after multiple uses of it in a row my coarse & thick hair becomes hard and icky, bc the coarser the hair the less likely you are to need protein. But for me that's caused mostly by the gel.

That's so interesting!! I wonder if it is a protein thing? Did other Deva products also give you a similar experience?

I haven't noticed any similar symptoms from my Shea Moisture which have proteins. I used the Ultra Defining Gel which has proteins with no issue either.

My hair is definitely pretty coarse and it's actually growing in coarser (I honestly have no idea why; maybe because it's being treated better) but for the most part, I think it handles proteins well. I am careful with how much protein that I'm applying however because I'm afraid that one day my hair is going to become protein sensitive. :occasion9:

Yesterday after I washed my hair, I mixed my SM conditioner with the Deva conditioner and used it as a LI as an experiment to see what my hair would do. I got the same 'saggy' results. The only parts that look nice are the parts where I didn't apply the One Condition as much, I accidentally fell asleep last night with my wet hair and didn't wrap it. I woke up to a disaster! It took so much manipulating today to get my hair to even look halfway good. If it weren't for my SM Smoothie and gel, I think my hair would be a complete disaster.

When I use the SM conditioner as a LI: this never happens to me. I wonder if there's an ingredient in the Deva that causes this for me. I think it's almost like the Deva sits on my hair vs. actually absorbs into my hair. Even before going CG, it was difficult for me to moisturize my hair properly... but my Herbal Essences actually did a much better job than Deva's. I realize now that for my hair to be its nicest (iE, great curl definition) that I need to keep it moisturized with a good RO and a good LI.

I can't wait to try out some other LI conditioners!

I know that I'm definitely not repurchasing the One Condition again!!
    • AV Juice
    • EVOO
    macher wrote: »

Yep when drying it looks like I'll have no waves/curls. After I squish to condition I start seeing waves. However not until the 2nd day I'll start to see my hair get more wavy curly. My hair always looks better on the 2nd day.

That's so weird! Especially because when I looked down at my hair just now, I noticed that my hair is gradually getting tighter and tighter (curl wise). I figured it might just be the product going away? I have no idea. I definitely am excited to try another LI. I know my hair needs a LI... but it's definitely not this one! ;)
    • AV Juice
    • EVOO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file