2nd Day Hair?

JunyJuJunyJu Registered Users Posts: 495 Curl Neophyte
So I'm still exploring ways of making my hair better on just day *2*, because I'm just behind like that. Every night I put on my satin cap (tie it a little tighter so it won't slip off), and wake up the next morning to a giant ball of clumped curls.

I've tried many versions of the pineapple, and it seems my hair just repeatedly says 'no'. I have come to the conclusion that pineappling is better intended for hair types that are inclined to fall as opposed to those like mine that go out and around and not down. My hair did fall when it was longer, but at this length and with this cut, it acts more like an afro, so pineappling doesn't work at all. I have tried simply putting on my cap, but it leads to a giant ball of clumped curls in the morning.

I was wondering if there was anyone with short-ish hair that experiences this? My hair is medium-textured, but my curls like to stick together overnight, and I can't just pull them apart gently the next morning, because it's not necessarily just simply clumping so much as it is almost matting together. The best example I can think of is a rose bud. When it is closed, all of the petals are pressed together around it. My hair is kind of like that when I wake up, with it all mashed together. It isn't really possible for you to just gently take the curls apart one by one, because they kind of morph into this giant ball of curls with significant definition loss that makes it hard to see which curl is which. I can't seem to find anything that separates the curls without making them lose even more definition...help? Would it be better if I went to bed with my hair a little damp, so it'd be easier to work with in the morning...?

I'm desperate because at this rate I end up having to co-wash the next day if I want to be able to work with them again, and that's a lot of product being used...
Medium texture, with some fine. Colored. High porosity, high density. 3b/3c; multicultural.

•Deep Conditioner: Shea Moisture JBCO Hair Masque
•Conditioner: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
•No-poo: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
•Styler(s): Shea Moisture JBCO Leave-In, As I Am Curling Jelly.
•CG as of 12/?/2014, BC 04/?/2015. First CG cut 7/9/2015. :happy3:

Comments

• BeautyOGBeautyOG Registered Users Posts: 383 Curl Neophyte
    I can do a pineapple, but before I knew what "pineapple" I did exactly what you are doing. What I did was lightly spritz my hair with water and shake my head back and forth. And any frizzy peace I would re define it.
    Here is a link to a video that may help: https://youtu.be/KM3f7rLUfXA
    And here is something else that you might like: https://youtu.be/GI4E0nrbAmo

Hope this helps!

Sent from my QMV7B using CurlTalk App
    My Hair:
    3b - Low Porosity - High Density - Medium/Course Strands - Virgin Hair - Armpit Length, Curly

Current Products:
    DIY Shampoo
    Tresemme Aloe Conditioner
    It's a 10 Leave In
    Sweet Almond Oil
    Tresemme Mousse

Current Length Goal: Waist Length, Curly

• DrRachDrRach Registered Users Posts: 264 Curl Neophyte
    I cannot pineapple either. I simply sleep on a silk pillowcase, then refresh my squashed curls with either a mixture of conditioner diluted in magnesium sulphate solution followed by smoothing curls individually with mousse, or i apply a leave in conditioner directly to my dry hair, smoothing the curls individually (emulsified in wet hands). A quick diffuse and then i scrunch. This works really well and my second, third and even fourth day hair looks much better than wash day because i have more volume.
    3 b Baby fine, Low density, high porosity, naturally pale blonde. And a UK Curly Girl:thumbleft:
    No/Low Poo: Palmers Olive Oil Cowash
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    DT/PT: CJ Repair Me!, SM Fruit Fusion
    Stylers: LUS Curly 3in1 leave in

• curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    bumping because achieving 2nd day hair is something many of us want to know about! So any and all suggestions are very welcome.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • JunyJuJunyJu Registered Users Posts: 495 Curl Neophyte
    BeautyOG wrote: »
    I can do a pineapple, but before I knew what "pineapple" I did exactly what you are doing. What I did was lightly spritz my hair with water and shake my head back and forth. And any frizzy peace I would re define it.
    Here is a link to a video that may help: https://youtu.be/KM3f7rLUfXA
    And here is something else that you might like: https://youtu.be/GI4E0nrbAmo

Hope this helps!

Hey, BiancaRenee! I don't know *how* I missed that vid, especially since I've been following her cuts and all, but thank you! That really did help, and I plan on giving that a try tomorrow morning! :D
    Medium texture, with some fine. Colored. High porosity, high density. 3b/3c; multicultural.

• amy51373amy51373 Registered Users Posts: 1,205 Curl Connoisseur
    I can't get second day hair, I have to wet mine every day. My Deva stylist says that some people just have to wet theirs every day but not necessarily shampoo so that's what I do...every day it's wet but only every 2-3 days do I low poo.
    mostly 3a/fine/high porosity/low density
    Cleanse: Bosley shampoo and conditioner
    Stylers: Boots Curl Cream, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Curl Keeper
    Gels: Volumax, Biolage, EcoStyler, BRHG
    Shea butter to scrunch out the crunch and seal
    Modified CG since Feb 2008
    amy51373 wrote: »
    I can't get second day hair, I have to wet mine every day. My Deva stylist says that some people just have to wet theirs every day but not necessarily shampoo so that's what I do...every day it's wet but only every 2-3 days do I low poo.

That's interesting. If that's so, then I think I might definitely fall into that category. I will give this method that I saw in the video a shot first, but if that doesn't work then I'll likely just have to wet my hair daily and style like that. :)

• eche428eche428 Registered Users Posts: 2,782 Curl Neophyte

I have to wet my hair everyday too. I used to be able to pineapple my hair when it was longer but at this short length it is NOT doable. But I rarely got 2nd day hair even when it was long.
    < member since 2006 (no idea where 1969 came from :toothy10:).

[FONT=&quot]Med/high porosity; color treated; med [FONT=&quot]d[/FONT]ensity 2c/3a.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Summer: (high dew point) co-wash [FONT=&quot]& leave-in [/FONT]Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair[FONT=&quot]. [/FONT]Ouidad Climate Control Heat & Humidity Gel.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Spring and Fall: (perfect dew point) co-wash & leave-in Curl Junkie Repair Me! or [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]BeautiCurls Strengthening Hair Conditioner; f[FONT=&quot]ollo[/FONT]wed by [FONT=&quot]CJ Pattern Pusha & [/FONT]Curl Queen.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] W[/FONT]inter: (low dew point) add in [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]Coffee-Coco Curl Creme Lite[FONT=&quot].[/FONT][/FONT]
    eche428 wrote: »

I have to wet my hair everyday too. I used to be able to pineapple my hair when it was longer but at this short length it is NOT doable. But I rarely got 2nd day hair even when it was long.

I'm glad to hear this, then. I thought there was just something wrong with my hair, but if there's more of you saying this, I guess not! :) Makes me feel better if tomorrow morning my attempt at refreshing doesn't work.

• roonilwazlibroonilwazlib Registered Users Posts: 15
    I struggle with 2nd day hair too! I've tried a lot of different things but nothing seems to work...no matter what, I've got halo frizz.
    :flower:3A/B; high porosity; high density; medium width:flower:
    So I did try the method in the video one of you showed me, and I think it was actually okay. The only reason I didn't stick with it is because my hair was already messed up from me being silly and touching it so much yesterday that the front left side was super frizzy and completely undefined. So I will try it again tomorrow morning now that my hair looks better and see what I think. But overall, it *did* get my curls to unbunch, so that was good! So thank you Beauty OG for that video. :)

Just an update, I tried the routine from the BiancaReneeToday video and it worked like a charm! My hair looks just about as good as yesterday, only a little frizzier! :) Thank you!

• BeautyOGBeautyOG Registered Users Posts: 383 Curl Neophyte
    JunyJu wrote: »
    Just an update, I tried the routine from the BiancaReneeToday video and it worked like a charm! My hair looks just about as good as yesterday, only a little frizzier! :) Thank you!
    Lovely!

My Hair:
    3b - Low Porosity - High Density - Medium/Course Strands - Virgin Hair - Armpit Length, Curly

Current Products:
    DIY Shampoo
    Tresemme Aloe Conditioner
    It's a 10 Leave In
    Sweet Almond Oil
    Tresemme Mousse

Current Length Goal: Waist Length, Curly

Thanks for the Bianca Renee Today video. She is adorable!!! And hilarious - I loved it. I will never have that kind of curl pattern but I am going to buy a satin sleep bonnet and pillowcase and see if that helps me to get 2nd day hair.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    curlypearl wrote: »
    Thanks for the Bianca Renee Today video. She is adorable!!! And hilarious - I loved it. I will never have that kind of curl pattern but I am going to buy a satin sleep bonnet and pillowcase and see if that helps me to get 2nd day hair.

Hope it works for you! :D

I just bought the bonnet and pillowcase from Sallys! So excited. I have conquered 1st day hair in high humidity - (have to wait for winter to see if I need to change for low dews ugh) and now I am fixated on trying to get 2nd day hair. This is the first time in my life that I'm going curly every single day!!!!! For me it is an enormous achievement.

Good luck everyone. Keep experimenting and maybe keep a journal so you know what works. :nike:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file